PDA

View Full Version : Colt OEM2 - Help

Extremehunter
08-09-16, 18:40
Hello,

A friend of mine just purchased an OEM2 from Colt and I'm trying to help him decide what butt stock and hand guard he should purchase. He is trying to find a hand guard that will fit with the existing barrel nut that comes with the OEM2 setup.

He just does recreational shooting and he has a budget of around $350.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Falar
08-09-16, 19:03
CTR is a cheap, lightweight stock that will slide right on leaving you with a nice budget for the rail.

pinzgauer
08-09-16, 19:09
+1, if you do not need something specific, then the CTR is my default and a solid one at that

Sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

themonk
08-09-16, 19:16
CRT or Bravo co's stock. Rail:
Fortis REV
http://fortismfg.com/ar15-fortis-REV-free-float-rail-system-12-forearm-12

Midwest Industries
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=422

Centurion
https://www.centurionarms.com/product-p/0609-12.htm

Extremehunter
08-09-16, 19:30
Thank you all very much...I think the CTR style is the way to go.

I like the Fortis rail...how does it hold with the clamp and anti-rotation? My assumption this would hold up to some decent abuse?

themonk
08-09-16, 19:32
Yes - all three listed are good to go. They have locking tongs (for lack of a better word) that lock into the grooves of the barrel nut.

Extremehunter
08-09-16, 19:34
Ok, awesome!!!

I appreciate it very much!!

Of the 3 you mentioned, which is the best in you honest opinion?

themonk
08-09-16, 19:39
They are all excellent and I love Centurion but I think just for the weight savings I would go Fortis. I gave you the wrong link. Here is the link for the light weight Fortis with keymod or mlok - http://fortismfg.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_75

ETA - Fortis gets you into more modern rails but if you wanted a quad rail I would do the Centurion.

user
08-09-16, 19:48
B5. Bravo or Magpul SL stock for me. The rail would be Centurion by far.

Linebacker
08-09-16, 19:56
I just today picked up the 6920 OEM2 with a B5 stock, BCM KMR rail (15") and Troy flip-up sights. It feels great.

DreadPirateMoyer
08-09-16, 20:38
Do not go Fortis. Their rails will shift on you with even slight abuse.

Magpul SL stock and Centurion C4. These are your answers. Anyone who says differently on the handguard is wrong.

A.C.E.S. Tactical
08-09-16, 21:26
I have been installing Fortis Rails since they came on the market. Never had one fail or shift. The new one come with a slotted barrel nut that needs to be clocked correctly. All of the rails mentioned are quality kit. I would not dismiss the Fortis at all. I have 5 of them on personal guns and they have withstood some big time punishment.

jstalford
08-09-16, 23:06
Magpul SL stock and Centurion C4. These are your answers. Anyone who says differently on the handguard is wrong.

This would be my preference

scottryan
08-10-16, 12:49
The centurion rail is more robust than the other two. It flexes less and won't squirm on the barrel nut.

_Stormin_
08-10-16, 13:12

One of my "oldest" rails is the Rev. I've run the gun hard and have had zero issues. All of the options presented here, including the Rev, will serve the OP well.

DreadPirateMoyer
08-10-16, 13:31
The centurion rail is more robust than the other two. It flexes less and won't squirm on the barrel nut.

This is correct.

One of my "oldest" rails is the Rev. I've run the gun hard and have had zero issues. All of the options presented here, including the Rev, will serve the OP well.

This is incorrect.

I've been able to cause barrel nut shifts on all Fortis REVs I've either owned (multiples) or encountered in classes or at the range when their owners challenged me. It's a matter of when, not if. There's a thread on here confirming such.

If you're one of those who says your Fortis rail has survived some abuse, then you haven't actually abused it. It's like a DPMS gun, but a handguard: great until it fails you, which it will.

scottryan
08-10-16, 15:41
Any rail that pinches a barrel nut and uses only friction as its source of holding force (i.e. no mechanical connection) will move around on the barrel nut.

Grab end of barrel with one hand and the end of the rail in the other. Pull them opposite directions.

A good rail will pop back to center. A shity rail will stay shifted over and be crooked.

titsonritz
08-10-16, 19:16
I'd go with a BCM Gunfighter stock and a Centurion C4 rail.

sig1473
08-10-16, 22:30

Agreed on this. I had a Rev 1 9" that wouldn't line up correctly with my upper. I thought it was perhaps my barrel nut. Wrong. It is the way the Fortis is secured on the Barrel nut.
Look into maybe a Midwest Industries rail:https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=422

JoshNC
08-10-16, 22:36
B5. Bravo or Magpul SL stock for me. The rail would be Centurion by far.

This is the correct answer.