PDA

View Full Version : This "scope' just take all the fun out if it?

WillBrink
08-10-16, 12:35
Have you seen this crazy thing? It's right out of Halo. Anyone see one in the wild yet? I'm not an early adopter of tech as a rule and more than happy to let others find the problems in the latest and greatest stuff, but this seems pretty amazing from my non BTDT POV. Short of pulling the trigger, it does everything else.

TN X-Sight II HD 3-14x or 5-20x Day & Night time Hunting Scopes - Best Digital Rifle Scopes with camera, Smooth Zoom, E-Compass, WiFi, Altitude and Velocity detection from ATN corp in 2016. The new ATN X-Sight II powered by Obsidian II Core, utilizing HD optics and the first ever HD micro-display turns this Day/Night rifle scope into a true powerhouse. Make your shots at ranges previously undo able with a digital or a night scope.

Considering all that it (claims) to do, not a crazy price either.

https://youtu.be/mBixevFWu9k

https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight2-hd-day-night-rifle-scope-3-14x

VIP3R 237
08-10-16, 12:51
$599? I may have to own one of these.

TAZ
08-10-16, 13:11
That's cool would love to see how it holds up and how fast it burns up batteries.

Lefty223
08-10-16, 13:25
Major Pandemic reviewed it back to JAN 2016 and said then it "eats batteries just sitting on the shelf" un-used. It is also totally dependent of batteries for ANY use ... other than as a paper weight. He estimated 10-hours runtime of use, only 5/6 when WiFi was used.

WillBrink
08-10-16, 13:34
Major Pandemic reviewed it back to JAN 2016 and said then it "eats batteries just sitting on the shelf" un-used. It is also totally dependent of batteries for ANY use ... other than as a paper weight. He estimated 10-hours runtime of use, only 5/6 when WiFi was used.

Note it seems to be pushed heavily for hunting, which makes sense as you know how much time you'll be out and so forth. With battery life that poor, that would seem it's major niche. But like all tech, it will get smaller and more energy efficient, etc. Night site, range finder, adjust for POI, etc, etc, pretty cool. I still have an old gen 1 night monocle and that thing eats batteries just looking at it.

ColtSeavers
08-10-16, 14:52
That's pretty neat. Price point isn't divorce worthy either!

WS6
08-10-16, 22:50

Was this with Lithiums? I have found that lithiums in my equipment, be it an optic, or be it my XBOX controller, will add SIGNIFICANT life.

Regardless...it's $599 MSRP, what is that, $499 on Amazon? Shit. I'll carry spare batteries, and I'll fill out my warranty card.

Snipe315
08-10-16, 23:29
$599? I may have to own one of these.

Ditto!

Was only slightly interested until I saw the price!

Koshinn
08-11-16, 01:27
I'd buy it if it didn't have wifi.

Other companies have made similar scopes in the past. None have taken off for various reasons.

WillBrink
08-11-16, 13:41
I'd buy it if it didn't have wifi.

Maybe it can be shut off? I guess the idea is to send the shooting solution to your smart phone which seems 11 for coolness. Coolness with any legit practical uses I can't say.

Other companies have made similar scopes in the past. None have taken off for various reasons.

First time I have seen anything quite like it, but I don't keep up with such things. I hope someone here who knows what they are doing gets one for chits and giggles and gives a review.

al800
08-11-16, 14:39
Pretty interesting. Looks like a slicked up version of Barrett's BORS. Also looks like you can use an external power source like microUSB.

$588 on Amazon...https://www.amazon.com/ATN-Riflescope-Stabilization-Shooting-Solution/dp/B01BYDUV4G

Interesting that this product is significantly below their usual price point.

Koshinn
08-11-16, 17:28
First time I have seen anything quite like it, but I don't keep up with such things. I hope someone here who knows what they are doing gets one for chits and giggles and gives a review.

These aren't quite like it, but are similar:
http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/eliminator-iii-laserscope-series
http://tracking-point.com/
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/product-archive/riflescopes/m-223-2.5-10x40-laser-irt-with-bdc-600.html

The main difference being, I'm pretty sure your linked scope is literally just a smart phone shaped like a rifle scope.

SomeOtherGuy
08-11-16, 21:21
These aren't quite like it, but are similar:
http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/eliminator-iii-laserscope-series
http://tracking-point.com/
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/product-archive/riflescopes/m-223-2.5-10x40-laser-irt-with-bdc-600.html

The main difference being, I'm pretty sure your linked scope is literally just a smart phone shaped like a rifle scope.

No, the huge difference is that the others listed are conventional scopes with automated rangefinding and/or bullet drop compensation. The ATN scope is an entirely different system without a conventional scope optical and adjustment system. It might be capable of more quality at less cost - maybe. Also, it allows one single scope to perform fairly well (?) as both a day and a basic night vision scope. I don't know of any other system where one scope body and mechanism, without adding/removing parts, is a reasonable choice both day and night.

The video recording and wifi are logical add-ons but not important or key to the change.

My misgivings would be the usual questions about reliability and durability, and being the early adopter of any new technology. But it seems likely to me that this will be a primary sighting system for military and hunting applications in 10-20 years, or sooner. I imagine it will be prohibited from various competitions and some types of hunting, just as today many competitions are irons only, and often longer or earlier hunting seasons are provided for more primitive technologies (bow or blackpowder).

Rascally
08-12-16, 06:44
There are people on the 68forums who have been using these for some months now, and they've been well received generally. Apparently the earlier generations had software issues, but those seem to be pretty much worked out now. You can find much more information with them on that forum.

Falar
08-12-16, 09:19
Can't believe how cheap that is. Electro-optics like this more than likely are the future. Size, durability, and battery life will eventually get to the point where they can be used by the military I'm sure.

WillBrink
08-12-16, 09:26
Can't believe how cheap that is. Electro-optics like this more than likely are the future. Size, durability, and battery life will eventually get to the point where they can be used by the military I'm sure.

I purchased the Panasonic G1 3/4 camera which has a virtual view finder. I thought it would be an issue being an old school purest, but it worked great and I didn't miss the old stye view finder at all. Only real criticism of the camera was the same as for this scope, battery life was limited compared to other cameras. I never found that an issue as I was done taking pics well before battery life was an issue, but that was the major issue of the camera for others. I have also had it a long time now and can say so far, no issues tech wise. Not the same thing of course, but there's proof of concept for it in other areas to make this an obvious next step for scopes.

w squared
08-12-16, 11:25
I had one of the first generation ATN X-sights. Took it to the range, established zero, everything was fine in daylight. Not a great image, but acceptable. I had it on my .458 SOCOM for hog hunting. Overall build quality/materials/robustness and software interface was appropriate for a mid-range hunting/recreational device - but emphatically not suitable for "serious social purposes".

Then I took it to the field, and reality reared it's ugly head.

Because it essentially uses the same "night vision" technology as a camcorder, it needs an external IR light source. In and of itself, this is not a big issue for hunting as IR illuminators are very reasonably priced. The issue is that the light from the illuminator "splashes" on any vegitation that is anywhere close to your line of sight to the target, and this splash completely washes out the target. I found that a green LED flashlight and a conventional scope worked better for night hunting than the X-sight. Needless to say, I returned the device as soon as I got home.

It might work fine if a hunter was only working open fields, but if you're dealing with brush, cut lines, or any sort of real vegetation, my advice would be to go with a more conventional night optic.

Koshinn
08-12-16, 13:00
No, the huge difference is that the others listed are conventional scopes with automated rangefinding and/or bullet drop compensation. The ATN scope is an entirely different system without a conventional scope optical and adjustment system. It might be capable of more quality at less cost - maybe. Also, it allows one single scope to perform fairly well (?) as both a day and a basic night vision scope. I don't know of any other system where one scope body and mechanism, without adding/removing parts, is a reasonable choice both day and night.

The video recording and wifi are logical add-ons but not important or key to the change.

My misgivings would be the usual questions about reliability and durability, and being the early adopter of any new technology. But it seems likely to me that this will be a primary sighting system for military and hunting applications in 10-20 years, or sooner. I imagine it will be prohibited from various competitions and some types of hunting, just as today many competitions are irons only, and often longer or earlier hunting seasons are provided for more primitive technologies (bow or blackpowder).

Again, it's a smartphone shaped like a rifle scope.

I believe every single digital camera is capable of seeing somewhat into the IR spectrum, but have IR filters to remove that capability. If you remove the filter (or, for some reason, pay more money to buy a camera without it...?) and have an IR illuminator, you can have something like Gen1 night vision.

daniel87
08-12-16, 13:23
ill take one in 5 years or so.

i will let others be the gen 1 bata testers.

i dont do well with gen 1, they never last for me

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Falar
08-12-16, 16:44
I think the future will be an enclosed ballistic helmet that links to a weapon mounted sight like this and helmet will have integrated nightvision/hud and be able to switch to the "weapon view" on the fly.

ColtSeavers
08-12-16, 17:21
I think the future will be an enclosed ballistic helmet that links to a weapon mounted sight like this and helmet will have integrated nightvision/hud and be able to switch to the "weapon view" on the fly.

I read that and thought ROBOCOP.

wesr228
08-16-16, 21:49
I picked up a X-Sight II 3-14x around May/June. At $588 I figured I would give it a shot. I have had no software issues. It's been fine for static observation. The wifi isn't a necessity, you can leave it off, but with two people in the stand/blind it's cool that a buddy can watch everything on their phone. It does EAT batteries. If I used it more often, I feel I would need to pick up a USB battery, but haven't needed it enough to keep spending money on it. It's a nice option, and I think the actual image is pretty good for what you pay for.

I will say, it's a little different. When you look through it, you're essentially looking at a video screen. You get used to it, but running and gunning... well that's not what this is is made for.

w squared mentioned that his first gen needed an IR source. Not sure if it's maybe just a different style of use, or maybe improvements, but I don't always need to use it. However when the IR is switched on, you certainly will get a bloom, whether it's from nearby vegetation, or the inside of a blind.

It's not a GenIII PVS-14, but it's also not $3,000. Heck, I haven't even had used this enough to warrant the $600 I spent. Still, knowing what I know now, I would buy it again. No regrets.

Jewell
08-17-16, 09:09
I've seen these around for awhile. While it'd probably be fun to mess around with all the features, and makes sure everything works as advertised, I still don't think it'd be something I'd ever buy.

scooter22
09-19-16, 17:33
I picked up a X-Sight II 3-14x around May/June. At $588 I figured I would give it a shot. I have had no software issues. It's been fine for static observation. The wifi isn't a necessity, you can leave it off, but with two people in the stand/blind it's cool that a buddy can watch everything on their phone. It does EAT batteries. If I used it more often, I feel I would need to pick up a USB battery, but haven't needed it enough to keep spending money on it. It's a nice option, and I think the actual image is pretty good for what you pay for.

I will say, it's a little different. When you look through it, you're essentially looking at a video screen. You get used to it, but running and gunning... well that's not what this is is made for.

w squared mentioned that his first gen needed an IR source. Not sure if it's maybe just a different style of use, or maybe improvements, but I don't always need to use it. However when the IR is switched on, you certainly will get a bloom, whether it's from nearby vegetation, or the inside of a blind.

It's not a GenIII PVS-14, but it's also not $3,000. Heck, I haven't even had used this enough to warrant the $600 I spent. Still, knowing what I know now, I would buy it again. No regrets.

I have the Gen 1 on a 16" AR used for hogs. My sentiments echo the above: it's heavy and eats batteries, but does ok for hunting from a stand or static position in a field.

Hopefully I can upgrade to a PVS-14 or at least some -7 goggles.

Eurodriver
09-19-16, 17:38
Am I the only one thinking that I don't want it precisely because it is $599?

Seriously - an Aimpoint T1 costs more than that...I'm guessing it is probably for a good reason.

scooter22
09-19-16, 17:39
Am I the only one thinking that I don't want it precisely because it is $599?

Seriously - an Aimpoint T1 costs more than that...I'm guessing it is probably for a good reason.

It's not real night vision.

Eurodriver
09-19-16, 17:44
That's my point.

sevenhelmet
09-19-16, 18:16
At the price point, I have serious concerns about optical quality and pixel size. Keep in mind that $599 (less retail markup) has to go into a lot more than just optics. A couple of reviews on Amazon suggest strongly that there are serious optical/pixellation issues beyond a mere 100 yards due to this. That's not even getting into software, user interface, and 'nitnoid' things like battery life and durability in the field.

ETA: I can also get a hell of a lot of ammo and targets for $599.

Pass.