PDA

View Full Version : INJURED ARKANSAS TROOPER REMAINS IN ICU AFTER WRONG-WAY I-40 COLLISION

MBtech
08-11-16, 01:27
An Arkansas State Trooper, who received a life saving award after risking his life to save another, remained in Sparks Regional Medical Center on Tuesday, after he tried to save others from a suspected drunken driver.

About 3:35 a.m. Monday, Arkansas State Trooper Roy Moomey, 41, of Van Buren, who has been employed with ASP for six years, was injured while attempting to block a suspected drunken driver who was driving the wrong way on the interstate, according to ASP.

The suspected intoxicated driver, Matthew C. Choate, 24, of Fort Smith died Monday during the collision in the east lane of Interstate 40 at the eight-mile marker near the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department Weight Station in Alma.

http://m.swtimes.com/news/injured-arkansas-trooper-remains-icu-after-wrong-way-i-40-collision

My thoughts and prayers go out to Trooper Moomey and his family. I'm sure there will be much controversy whether it was the right thing to do or not, from what I read dash cam is still under investigation, but much respect from me for putting his own life on the line to protect and to serve.

JC5188
08-11-16, 05:32
I lost both my grandparents in the late 80's due to a wrong way driver on an interstate. She had already sideswiped 7 other vehicles before she hit them head on...instantly killing them AND her.

No, this Trooper did EXACTLY right and saved someone's life. The drunk driver would have been likely killed anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MBtech
08-11-16, 06:03
I lost both my grandparents in the late 80's due to a wrong way driver on an interstate. She had already sideswiped 7 other vehicles before she hit them head on...instantly killing them AND her.

No, this Trooper did EXACTLY right and saved someone's life. The drunk driver would have been likely killed anyway.

Agreed, I'm just hoping he doesn't end up facing any reckless bs comments or accusations and gets proper recognition for a job well done in a heroic manner. His family should be damn proud for his kind of bravery and commitment. Then again it might just be no big deal to most because it didn't involve weapons or race, which is a sad but true part about today's society.

Sorry for your loss of loved ones from one of these careless a$$holes JC

I know the members here are always happy to support and commend our LE and their families in times like these, that's why I posted it.

ramairthree
08-11-16, 14:54
That took serious balls.
Knowing you will likely die to possibly save some strangers further down the road.

Firefly
08-11-16, 15:18
See. This is what real police do.

MBtech
08-11-16, 16:02
See. This is what real police do.

Amen.

MBtech
08-11-16, 16:03
Balls made of steel at that! The more I've thought about it in the last couple of days while driving and passing oncoming traffic I've wondered to myself would I actually be able to do the same? I mean look at the pictures of his car. No different than stepping in front of a bullet in my opinion. Thinking of it from the perspective what if it were my wife and kids that could be in his path? No brainier, damn straight I could. The fact he stopped the threat of what "may" have happened or what "possibly" could have happened for people he'll never know or meet is on a level all of it's own.

Just talking to a few people about it I've heard exactly what I figured I would from someone eventually... "well maybe he might have just flipped his car in a ditch or might have hit a tree and not struck another vehicle" "The cop shouldn't have killed him he might have lived if he just flipped in a ditch" "The cop could've been the one to kill innocent people doing what he did"

My response... Ok, a guy pulls a gun on you and demands your purse it "might" be fake, or it "might" be real! He "might" shoot you, he "might" not! It "might" be loaded it "might" not! Hell he "might" shoot himself!

The drunk was pointing a FOR SURE deadly weapon in the form of a vehicle at people!
Then we got started on the subject of kids getting shot by cops and turns out it was a fake toy gun. In one ear and out the other Wow! Just wow! SMH.

Thinking to myself I'll just continue this conversation with someone with a little more common sense like my Rottweiler when I get home. Part of me just wanted to be a real smart ass and tell her she should be running for president but I wasn't sure if she'd even pick up on the joke or not.

glocktogo
08-11-16, 22:40
The word hero is overused and often misused these days. That would not be the case when discussing this trooper. Prayers sent for his full recovery.

SeriousStudent
08-12-16, 21:54
Thoughts and prayers sent for the Trooper and his family. I hope he makes a full recovery, and experiences no long-term disabilities.

A wrong-way DUI is incredibly dangerous, as others have said. He undoubtedly prevented a greater danger.

JC5188
08-14-16, 07:16
Agreed, I'm just hoping he doesn't end up facing any reckless bs comments or accusations and gets proper recognition for a job well done in a heroic manner. His family should be damn proud for his kind of bravery and commitment. Then again it might just be no big deal to most because it didn't involve weapons or race, which is a sad but true part about today's society.

Sorry for your loss of loved ones from one of these careless a$$holes JC

I know the members here are always happy to support and commend our LE and their families in times like these, that's why I posted it.

Thank you, and yes...I'm glad you posted this. I've not seen this on the news. I assume it's because of the selfless sacrifice of a LEO and lately that doesn't fit the narrative.