PDA

View Full Version : Roll pin removal?

reaper_custom
08-11-16, 13:26
Anyone ever knocked a roll pin a little to hard and had it start to "open up"?
The roll pin holding my bolt catch did this. It's to damn hard to bend back with a pair of needle nose pliers. Anybody have any recommendations on how to get this thing backed out so I can get a new one and start over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruin
08-11-16, 13:31
Try using pin punch on the opposite side to push the roll pin out. Toss that pin and drive a new one with a roll pin starter as far as you can. Finish with your roll pin punch.

reaper_custom
08-11-16, 13:33
That's what I was afraid of. I'm nervous about punching the opposite direction in fear of damaging the inside of the hole. Will it be ok? Wish I would have known about that starter to begin with that looks pretty handy!

jsharp
08-11-16, 13:53
Use the proper size punch and keep it in line with the hole and you'll be fine. There's really no magic to it, roll pins are made to be removed.

Rhema
08-16-16, 14:44
Brownell's sells a special punch to drive the pin from the front of the rifle, cost about $15. In a recent build the roll pin included with the LPK was too big and I couldn't get it all the way through. With that tool I tapped it out and replaced it with the proper size. Well worth the money.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

titsonritz
08-16-16, 14:53
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bolt-tools/dissassembly-tools/bolt-catch-pin-punch-prod26484.aspx?avs%7cMake_3=AR-15

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-catch-parts/bolt-catch-hardware/ar15a4-bolt-catch-pin-sku160308102-4885-10864.aspx

seedubs1
08-17-16, 09:01
Just knock that pin out with a punch from the other side. I've had that happen before. Just use a new pin once you remove the deformed one.

As my buddy says....."Stop babying it, it's not a fancy pants rifle.....it's a war machine."

And no need for a fancy specialized tool to drive in a dang bolt catch roll pin.

nova3930
08-17-16, 10:18
And no need for a fancy specialized tool to drive in a dang bolt catch roll pin.

Yeah you can drive in a roll pin with a regular punch, but its a helluva lot easier to do it correctly with the appropriate tools.

As for roll pins, they're cheap, keep plenty of extras on hand. McMaster sells them for a few bucks a hundred in plain steel.

Joe Mamma
08-17-16, 10:26
It should be fine to remove by knocking it out from the other side.

You may want to use a tiny bit of grease or oil on the new pin to help it go in. I found that can make a big difference.

Joe Mamma

556BlackRifle
08-17-16, 11:02
Apply a little light oil to both ends of the roll pin and let it sit. Wrap your punch with a layer of painter's tape and if you're able to get the right angle to drive the punch from the back side, drive it out. If you can't get the right angle with your current punch, you may need to buy a new punch. In that case I'd get the Brownells AR punch set as they definitely are the right tools for the job.

That said, if you have a quality set of roll pin punches from a company like Grace or Starrett, and a roll of masking tape, you can get the job done. Just be careful about the angle. If you are not perfectly aligned, you may flare the end of the roll pin or worse, slip of and scratch your lower receiver. Also, a drop of oil is your friend. :)

Good luck!

556BlackRifle
08-17-16, 11:04
It should be fine to remove by knocking it out from the other side.

You may want to use a tiny bit of grease or oil on the new pin to help it go in. I found that can make a big difference.

Joe Mamma

+1 on the lube.

reaper_custom
08-17-16, 11:21
Always use lube! I already flares the end of the roll pin. Tried pulling it out w some pliers to no avail. Gonna try the lube and masking tape idea

seedubs1
08-17-16, 13:07
A punch is a "correct" tool for driving a roll pin. You do not need some special fancy dancy tool to drive a bolt catch roll pin. Learn to do it correctly with a punch, and you'll have no issues without the fancy "special" tool.

Yeah you can drive in a roll pin with a regular punch, but its a helluva lot easier to do it correctly with the appropriate tools.

As for roll pins, they're cheap, keep plenty of extras on hand. McMaster sells them for a few bucks a hundred in plain steel.

dsk
08-17-16, 13:24
My problems driving out roll pins ended the day I bought a proper set of roll pin punches. Never try it with a standard flat-faced drift punch.

T2C
08-17-16, 13:30
My problems driving out roll pins ended the day I bought a proper set of roll pin punches. Never try it with a standard flat-faced drift punch.

A good set of roll pin punches and a roll of blue painters tape will take care of most roll pin installation and removal.

One issue that needs to be addressed is punch diameter. A good set of punches will be the diameter marked on the punch, i.e. 1/8", 1/4", etc. A cheap set of box store punches are often oversize. I have a cheap set I use for general household chores and the 1/8" punch is .134" in diameter.

BE VERY CAREFUL when using cheap punches for work on firearms. A .134" punch will make a mess out of a .125" hole.

reaper_custom
08-17-16, 13:31
A good set of roll pin punches and a roll of blue painters tape will take care of most roll pin installation and removal.

One issue that needs to be addressed is punch diameter. A good set of punches will be the diameter marked on the punch, i.e. 1/8", 1/4", etc. A cheap set of box store punches are often oversize. I have a cheap set I use for general household chores and the 1/8" punch is .134" in diameter.

BE VERY CAREFUL when using cheap punches for work on firearms. A .134" punch will make a mess out of a .125" hole.

Probably the best post yet. Thank you

nova3930
08-17-16, 13:41
A punch is a "correct" tool for driving a roll pin. You do not need some special fancy dancy tool to drive a bolt catch roll pin. Learn to do it correctly with a punch, and you'll have no issues without the fancy "special" tool.

A tool that has a decently high probability of damaging the part you're trying to install is not what I'd call "correct." Because that's what happens with roll pins and flat punches when you get a hole that's on the small side of tolerance and a pin that's on the large side of tolerance. More likely than not you'll end up mangling the end of the pin you're driving, even if done "correctly". $6 in tools makes the job one helluva lot easy and drops the probability of damage....

Just like you can use a #1 Phillips screwdriver to turn a #3 Phillips screw but your probability of stripping the screw goes up significantly.

seedubs1
08-17-16, 14:08
Man, I should buy a lotto ticket if I've been skirting probability so much. I don't remember the last time I damaged parts using standard roll pin punches instead of some fancy brownells tool specifically made for driving the bolt catch roll pin.

A tool that has a decently high probability of damaging the part you're trying to install is not what I'd call "correct." Because that's what happens with roll pins and flat punches when you get a hole that's on the small side of tolerance and a pin that's on the large side of tolerance. More likely than not you'll end up mangling the end of the pin you're driving, even if done "correctly". $6 in tools makes the job one helluva lot easy and drops the probability of damage....

Just like you can use a #1 Phillips screwdriver to turn a #3 Phillips screw but your probability of stripping the screw goes up significantly.

titsonritz
08-17-16, 16:25
I don't remember the last time I damaged parts using standard roll pin punches instead of some fancy brownells tool specifically made for driving the bolt catch roll pin.

And I have never damaged a bolt catch roll pin with "fancy Brownells tool" but have seen several people do so without one or bang the snot out of their lower with a hammer. The proper long, flat sided punch gets you beyond the receiver so only an over zealous ape will smack it with a hammer and puts the punch at the correct angle in relation to the hole so no misaligning the pin to hole. Is it possible without the tool? Sure, sure but it is a lot easier with it.

nova3930
08-17-16, 18:17
And I have never damaged a bolt catch roll pin with "fancy Brownells tool" but have seen several people do so without one or bang the snot out of their lower with a hammer. The proper long, flat sided punch gets you beyond the receiver so only an over zealous ape will smack it with a hammer and puts the punch at the correct angle in relation to the hole so no misaligning the pin to hole. Is it possible without the tool? Sure, sure but it is a lot easier with it.
which was my point. you can "get by" in a lot of cases with tools that aren't specialized, but life is a lot easier with the specialty tools. and let's be honest here, it's not like we're talking $100 each for roll pin punches. talking $5 or $6. bring a sammich to work instead of eating out for a few days and buy a whole set

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk