PDA

View Full Version : Looking for .308 subsonic recipes

1_click_off
08-11-16, 15:14
Just about have given up on finding published subsonic loads, anybody know where to get some data? I found some stuff on sniperhide, but wanted to review more first. I have a couple lbs of bullseye and some 200gr Lapua projectiles, just trying to find where to start at.

Thanks

ARx3
08-11-16, 17:42
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

I use the Trail Boss Data with Nosler 150 gr. BT in my SCAR 17s. It will not function the action, but it is quiet with my Surefire FA762K. They also list data with Clays under the 168 gr. bullet.

1_click_off
08-11-16, 21:15
Are you going less than the 10.0 grains to get subsonic, or does the action of the SCAR help remove energy transfer to the projectile?

I am running a Ruger Scout with a Sandman L. Want to get below the transonic range.

wingspar
08-14-16, 01:24
Not much knowledge on this subject at all, but I did see a discussion on this recently but I can’t remember where. My neighbor uses 220 grain pills behind some Bullseye at just under 1100 fps if I remember correctly. I don’t remember the charge he uses, but he did say there was a lot of empty space in the case. He’s shooting them out of a Remington 700 and those big 220 grain round nose bullets make the .308 look like bombs to be dropped from an aircraft.

Gas operated semi-autos will always have a reduced velocity vs bolt action. Don’t know about subsonic loads, but I recently Chronoed some 7.62x39 out of a bolt action and an AK and the bolt action delivered an average of 130 fps more than the AK.

daniel87
08-14-16, 03:12
hodgden reloading data for the resipie.

my issue is there are so few companies making expanding ammo for the over 200 grain 308 bullets.

its fun to shoot them at the range. especially from a 20 inch barrel.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Ready.Fire.Aim
08-14-16, 08:22
I use 15g Trail boss powder and Hornady 180 gn round nose bullets. COAL is 2.65"

These are shot through my integrally suppressed FN patrol bolt by Johns Guns.
Factory barrel (1:12) optimized for 168g SMK so I am limited to 180g bullets.

If you are using a threaded silencer you will have to adjust your powder load.

I have killed a lot of wild hogs DRT with brain shots at night.

Hollywood quiet, about as loud as unchucking an air hose, very accurate.

Have fun
RFA

T2C
08-14-16, 09:40
Reduced muzzle velocity will put a lot of rifle projectiles outside the accuracy node. What are your accuracy expectations? How far are you going to shoot the sub-sonic loads?

I experimented with 173g FMJBT projectiles and could not get them to group any better than 3" at 50 meters at speeds slower than 1800 fps. 200g FMJ projectiles are a bit heavy for fast powders, such as Trail Boss and Bullseye. I've had the best luck loading lead projectiles at 1050 - 1080 fps when the bullet weights are over 150g. Is lead a viable option for your purposes?

If you want to read an article on reduced loads, the C.E. Harris article is worth reading. It's not the end all, but a good staring point. http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?13425-Cast-Bullet-Loads-for-Military-Rifles-Article

bullitt
08-15-16, 12:52
I've used 11.8gr of Trail Boss under a 200gr Speer "Hot-Cor" in my Ruger Scout for quite a while. These are a soft point flat based bullet. Not what most people use but I got a bunch cheap back in the day and they have worked great for me.

One thing I learned in developing subsonic loads is that you really need to work up a load for your specific gun. What it takes to get subsonic loads "just right" will depend greatly on you barrel length and twist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1_click_off
08-18-16, 21:51
Reduced muzzle velocity will put a lot of rifle projectiles outside the accuracy node. What are your accuracy expectations? How far are you going to shoot the sub-sonic loads?

I experimented with 173g FMJBT projectiles and could not get them to group any better than 3" at 50 meters at speeds slower than 1800 fps. 200g FMJ projectiles are a bit heavy for fast powders, such as Trail Boss and Bullseye. I've had the best luck loading lead projectiles at 1050 - 1080 fps when the bullet weights are over 150g. Is lead a viable option for your purposes?

If you want to read an article on reduced loads, the C.E. Harris article is worth reading. It's not the end all, but a good staring point. http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?13425-Cast-Bullet-Loads-for-Military-Rifles-Article

Been off the site a few days, had a little rain storm in my back yard over the weekend.

I am fine with pie plate accuracy at 100yds and half of that at 50.

May take a few hogs on my property without waking the neighbors, but mostly maximizing the purchase of the suppressor.

I guess I will get some trail boss. That powder keeps getting mentioned in the paths I have followed.