PDA

View Full Version : Anybody run 45 degree sights optics? SPR in question.

ISiman/oh
08-12-16, 17:46
Does anybody run 45 degree sights/optics. I have a spare primary arms reflex sitting around that I will be using. When watching 3 gun comps I see a lot of people running both sights and optics. Does anybody have any experience? What do you run and how is it mounted?

This is the gun I will be looking to put it/them on. Part of me wants to set the reflex on the rifle for close up shots and part of me wants to keep the rifle simple and Light without a bunch of stuff hanging off. Thoughts?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160812/7f7450980e6ec257be2dfad2fc08a3f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 Inf
08-12-16, 18:13
I ran MagPul Pro's offset for a while on my 'SPR' - I zeroed them and pretty much left them closed after the first day with them. They just made me a slow down a scoosh to use them, I thought I'd just rotate the rifle and have the sight picture - not quite that simple even though I really focused on trying not to move my head. A month or so later I took them off and used them on another build. If I'm shooting with that rifle and the scope craps, I'll either get another out of the truck, or go home. I don't envision fighting my way home with that rifle.

JM devalued $.02

ETA: Are those critters woodchucks?

ISiman/oh
08-12-16, 18:30
I ran MagPul Pro's offset for a while on my 'SPR' - I zeroed them and pretty much left them closed after the first day with them. They just made me a slow down a scoosh to use them, I thought I'd just rotate the rifle and have the sight picture - not quite that simple even though I really focused on trying not to move my head. A month or so later I took them off and used them on another build. If I'm shooting with that rifle and the scope craps, I'll either get another out of the truck, or go home. I don't envision fighting my way home with that rifle.

JM devalued $.02

Valid points you make, I want this "SPR" to be my all around gun. I only own two ARs and the other is night sighted and lives at the bedside for hole defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daniel87
08-12-16, 19:20
if you optic dies transition to the pistol till you have time to pull your scope mount qd levers and pop up your mbuis.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Long Range Trigger Monkey
08-12-16, 19:52
That would work assuming he has a pistol and the optic mount has QD levers, which it doesn't because it's a Vortex cantilever mount. A really underrated mount if I do say so, I've been running one for two years with no issues.

The decision to run an offset red dot or offset sights is purely personal, I tried running an offset red dot but in the end I opted for irons because for me it made economical and practical sense. I didn't want to risk not having the optic turned on when I needed it and finding a sufficient mounting solution to work with the red dot that I had was cost prohibitive when compared to a set of offset irons that were ready to go essentially. I run two brands of offset sights now, one set is the Magpul Pro Offsets and the other is Griffin Armament's FailSafe sights. I use the Magpul sights on my Recce mainly because I wanted something that was low profile and the Griffin Armament sights are on my 2-gun rifle because they're always deployed essentially. The other reason that I use offset irons as opposed to a red dot is that in competition having two optics puts you in open class while having an optic and irons keeps you in tactical optics. As far as speed and ease of use, both take a period of time to get used to but they can be very fast and accurate. Here's a video of me using the GA sights, this is my first time out with them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozMVMj0TxUI

I like both brands of sights because they fill both roles very well, I can shoot the Magpul's out to 300 yards pretty well, the GA sights are pretty quick too and good to go for me out to 300 also. I've also posted a video below of me using the Magpul sights at a NRA match.

Long Range Trigger Monkey
08-12-16, 19:53
This is my first time using the Magpul sights in a competition and I finished third overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veeV9iiFWbs

Spin Drift
08-12-16, 20:17
I've been very happy with the KAC 45 off-sets. The rear is a very well made rotating, flip-up drum, both front and rear units lock positively when not deployed.

To me, great back-up irons. They pop up with a couple of flicks, and are fine for close range.

I would break a RDS in 5 minutes, I've seen me do it. :rolleyes:

dbain99
08-12-16, 20:28
I have a Bushmaster Predator with a Nikon 4X14 optic with a Burris Fast Fire mounted on a 45 degree offset. It's everything I wanted in theory, practical application not so much. Not that it doesn't work because it does work really well 0-100 yards. I just don't use it.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160812/038f30761980df462dd5394e19486b83.jpg

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

SDSwoll
08-15-16, 22:09
Use Dueck Defense irons which after a little training time became a very easy transition. I also run the Vortex cantilever mount so popping of the scope quickly isn't an option.