PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 Ejection w/o Magazine

Lurp
08-12-16, 18:41
Recent ejection issues with a Glock 19 I purchased have brought up a question that I have not been able to get a straight answer on.* Will a Glock 19 have proper ejection of spent brass when it is fired without the magazine inserted?*

What brought this question about is a very lengthy ordeal involving my Glock 19 which was sent back to Glock numerous times for ejection and BTF issues.* I have read that one of the tests to see if an extractor is maintaining control of the spent brass during the ejection cycle is to insert a magazine, chamber a round and then remove the magazine and fire.* When doing this my Glock 19 ejected the round through the mag well or stovepiped.* The first thing I did was attempt this with my other Glock 9mm's and all of them properly ejected with no magazine inserted.

I let Glock know of these problems and that I felt the reason I was experiencing ejection issues and BTF with this glock 19's was due to the fact that the extractor was not maintaining control of the brass through the whole ejection cycle and referenced my firing with no mag inserted.* I was promptly told that in order to properly eject a Glock must have the magazine inserted.* I have searched around and found mixed answers on other forums.* If the gun were functioning 100% I would not have even been worrying about this, but due to the erratic ejection, BTF and the rare stovepipe I feel inclined to investigate.* I understand it has no real world practical apllication, but I am looking into the original cause of the problem.* The gun was eventually replaced by Glock, but I am still curious as to the answer.

Since I have been a long time lurker here and trust the members of this forum opinion more than any other I figured I would ask.* Thank you for the help.

davidjinks
08-12-16, 19:27
The magazine is part of the magic of a Glock. The gun will extract the round but it will dribble out the magazine well. So the answer to your question is: No.

Recent ejection issues with a Glock 19 I purchased have brought up a question that I have not been able to get a straight answer on.* Will a Glock 19 have proper ejection of spent brass when it is fired without the magazine inserted?*

What brought this question about is a very lengthy ordeal involving my Glock 19 which was sent back to Glock numerous times for ejection and BTF issues.* I have read that one of the tests to see if an extractor is maintaining control of the spent brass during the ejection cycle is to insert a magazine, chamber a round and then remove the magazine and fire.* When doing this my Glock 19 ejected the round through the mag well or stovepiped.* The first thing I did was attempt this with my other Glock 9mm's and all of them properly ejected with no magazine inserted.

I let Glock know of these problems and that I felt the reason I was experiencing ejection issues and BTF with this glock 19's was due to the fact that the extractor was not maintaining control of the brass through the whole ejection cycle and referenced my firing with no mag inserted.* I was promptly told that in order to properly eject a Glock must have the magazine inserted.* I have searched around and found mixed answers on other forums.* If the gun were functioning 100% I would not have even been worrying about this, but due to the erratic ejection, BTF and the rare stovepipe I feel inclined to investigate.* I understand it has no real world practical apllication, but I am looking into the original cause of the problem.* The gun was eventually replaced by Glock, but I am still curious as to the answer.

Since I have been a long time lurker here and trust the members of this forum opinion more than any other I figured I would ask.* Thank you for the help.

bmg
08-12-16, 19:29
My gen 4 G19 ejects perfectly with no magazine, once I installed an apex extractor (gen3 version with the hook on the bottom-works in gen4's).

PaLEOjd
08-12-16, 19:35
There is nothing wrong with your pistol if it acts that way with no magazine. ALL autoloaders will dribble an empty case down the magazine well when firing without a magazine. It may not happen all the time but it will happen and you will also get stovepipes. With no magazine, there is no support for the empty case, that's why ejection is not 100%.
All of my pistols have ejection issues when fired with no magazine, no worries.

Hart
08-12-16, 21:18
You can get'em to if you clean up the extractor to make sure it moves freely in the slot provided in the slide. The extractor is MIM and has
a lot of molding edges that tend to bind it in the slide. This slag is darn hard material, it will ruin a new file, so I remove it in all of my Glock extractors.
No BTF, will eject without mag (95% of the time) and puts the brass in a nice pile on the person to the right of me. It wont eject like a PPQ,
that pistol will put your eye out, but it darn sure improves factory extracxtion/ejection. Have done this to about 9 Glocks so far.

Pics to follow:

CAVDOC
08-12-16, 22:48
The test described does say something when used with control feed designs like the 1911. It has absolutely nothing to do with assessing proper extractor function in a glock

Lurp
08-13-16, 09:29
My gen 4 G19 ejects perfectly with no magazine, once I installed an apex extractor (gen3 version with the hook on the bottom-works in gen4's).

One of my original fixes was trying the APEX FRE extractor and I noticed this as well. Piled brass nicely even without a magazine inserted. This along with having two other 9mm Glocks that had proper ejection without the magazine inserted made me feel like I was on to something since only my problem gun didn't eject properly w/o a magazine. Glad to know it's not something to be concerned about for future reference. Thanks for the help everyone.

Mustang31
08-13-16, 09:50
My G19 gen 4 will stove pipe when fired without a magazine inserted.

JPB
08-13-16, 23:06
The metric you describe is relevant to 1911s. That is all...