PDA

View Full Version : Colt LE6920 Minimalist Small Spare Parts Kit?

Bolt Block
08-12-16, 20:45
I've browsed the several "Spare Parts" threads here, and the advice seems good, but ranges from "have a spare gun" to "don't bother if..." -- my paraphrases, but I hope not too far off. I realize that most of this gets down to personal preferences and expected operational environments. But, as someone who's always had a qualified armorer at hand AND a spare gun but never needed either, I really have no idea what might break first or (with me) be lost first. So, I'd appreciate a short list (again) for a gun expected to see light use. I really want to keep it simple. I'm thinking of a field kit consisting of "can't buy it locally" sorts of small items. Anyone not tired of replying to these threads care to give some advice, again? FWIW, my gun is pure stock, the only change being a Colt carry handle which replaced the Magpul rear sight. Thanks.

Ryno12
08-12-16, 20:56
To keep it simple, buy a complete LPK & a spare bolt.

vicious_cb
08-12-16, 21:07
I've browsed the several "Spare Parts" threads here, and the advice seems good, but ranges from "have a spare gun" to "don't bother if..." -- my paraphrases, but I hope not too far off. I realize that most of this gets down to personal preferences and expected operational environments. But, as someone who's always had a qualified armorer at hand AND a spare gun but never needed either, I really have no idea what might break first or (with me) be lost first. So, I'd appreciate a short list (again) for a gun expected to see light use. I really want to keep it simple. I'm thinking of a field kit consisting of "can't buy it locally" sorts of small items. Anyone not tired of replying to these threads care to give some advice, again? FWIW, my gun is pure stock, the only change being a Colt carry handle which replaced the Magpul rear sight. Thanks.

At the least I would have:
1 set of USGI Gas Rings
1 Extractor pin
1 5 coil Extractor Spring
1 Black Extractor Insert
1 Spare firing pin
1 Spare cotter pin
1 Spare cam pin

Nice to have but not absolutely required:
1 Spare extractor
1 Spare complete bolt

Iraqgunz
08-12-16, 22:38
I would look at some of the other threads where the same thing is being discussed.

Joe Mamma
08-12-16, 23:40
I really want to keep it simple. I'm thinking of a field kit consisting of "can't buy it locally" sorts of small items.

OK, but just so we are on the same page, a "field" kit is much smaller than a "spare parts at home" type of kit or the kit I would take to a multi-day shooting match or multi-day class.

Generally, with these guns the most likely problem you will have (other than ammunition or magazine problems) will be related to extraction malfunctions. It will most likely be a worn extractor spring, worn/broken extractor, etc. Those are not things that most people in most situations could change quickly and easily. So I suggest you simply carry a spare bolt with everything already in it (gas rings, ejector, ejector spring, extractor, extractor pin extractor spring, insert and O-ring (if you use one)).

The only difficult thing is to make sure the spare bolt works in your gun. There are lots of different brands of bolts, extractor springs, gas rings, etc., and different coatings/chemical treatments, different color inserts, and some guns and gun owners don't like O-rings. So I would suggest that your spare match exactly what is in your gun (as long as what is in your gun normally works of course).

Having a spare bolt also takes care of broken bolt lugs and bolt cracks at the cam pin hole.

If you want a little bit more, throw in 2 firing pin retaining pins (small and cheap, but easy to lose when you are changing the bolt) and a cam pin (I like using a new one every time I use a new bolt).

Let us know if you have any questions.

Joe Mamma

dsk
08-13-16, 00:33
A long time ago I bought a spare essentials kit from Bushmaster, and the parts just sat unused in my parts box for many years. Then last week I bought a used AR, and I suddenly found myself needing to use the gas rings, extractor, firing pin retainer and extractor spring just to get it up and running. Now I need to replenish my spare parts! You never really know what you'll need in the way of spares, but try to think of all the little pins and springs that get lost easily as well as the stuff that wears/breaks easily. A complete bolt carrier is a good idea, because even if you don't use it you never know what parts you'll need to cannibalize off of it to keep your rifle running.

Tigereye
08-13-16, 06:12
In addition to what's already been mentioned, I have several extra of the "flying and disappearing" parts like detents and small springs.