PDA

View Full Version : Compact .380 - Smith, Ruger or Kahr?

tricolor
08-14-16, 17:02
Looking for a super compact .380 for a backup gun. Something thinner, smaller and lighter than a Air-weight j frame 442, with better sights. Looking at the Kahr Cw380, M&P Bodyguard w/o the safety and the Ruger LCP custom. What is the consensus on these pistols?

ST911
08-14-16, 17:11
Looking for a super compact .380 for a backup gun. Something thinner, smaller and lighter than a Air-weight j frame 442, with better sights. Looking at the Kahr Cw380, M&P Bodyguard w/o the safety and the Ruger LCP custom. What is the consensus on these pistols?

If forcibly limited to those three options, the LCP. Otherwise, a G42.

T2C
08-14-16, 17:15
I second ST911's recommendations. I am not a big fan of the LCP, but that is what I would choose out of your listed choices.

I prefer the G42 over your three choices and like it well enough that I bought one for the wife to carry.

Ryno12
08-14-16, 17:36
I have both the LCP & the M&P BG. The M&P is my carry gun. The sights on the M&P are, IMO, far superior to the LCP and they're adjustable/removable. The M&P is also DAO, which I prefer to the SA LCP. Size & feel is about the same for both. Trigger on the LCP may be a tad lighter than the M&P but still heavy.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-14-16, 17:43
None of the above. I honestly can't think of a valid, compelling reason to carry a pocket .380. J frame, or carry a 9mm single stack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ned Christiansen
08-14-16, 17:54
I don't know about the Smith, but I know about the LCP and the Kahr. LCP over Kahr by a wide, wide margin, the widest possible margin.

DirectTo
08-14-16, 18:28
Another person in the G42 camp here, but out of those choices the LCP by a wide margin. I had one for a while and only got rid of it when I got a 42. Very easy to hide and carry.

masakari
08-14-16, 20:23
You cannot shoot an M&P380/Bodyguard with a proper high grip, as the slide will bite. The LCP, on the other hand, allows for proper grip and has low recoil. From your list, that'd be my recommendation, the LCP.
That said, I'd take the Glock 42. Better yet, the Glock 43. Even better, the M&P Shield.

Ron3
08-14-16, 21:18
Looking for a super compact .380 for a backup gun.

Of those you mentioned, I like the Bodyguard. (I've fired all but the Kahr) However reliability can be sketchy. My buddy has one that runs great and he put XS Big Dot sights on it and it's a perfect match for the gun.

It's a good choice if yours works, but the sights have to be changed, they are very small.

The Glock 42 is bigger than the other guns you mentioned and weighs more.

bigboi98
08-14-16, 21:40
Why isn't the 42 in your list? Best 380 imho.

Sent from my SM-G920V

wigbones
08-14-16, 22:00
Of your choices, the LCP. Love how easy it is to conceal. It's a bit snappy and doesn't have a lot of area to grip though. I'd recommend using the finger extension magazine and a hogue grip. Makes a considerable improvement.

dirkmagurk
08-15-16, 00:25
I'd also recommend taking a hard look at the G42. I got the wife one to carry and she loves it. There have been several changes made to the 42 though. If you're buying new make sure the mags are marked with 03 below the witness holes that is the most current production.

wilson1911
08-15-16, 00:39
I have the G42. I find it to feel and shoot much better than most of the other small pocket pistols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7nWBMIeIXI

Lefty223
08-15-16, 09:24
None of the above. I honestly can't think of a valid, compelling reason to carry a pocket .380. J frame, or carry a 9mm single stack.
Are you at least aware that the Corbon 380 load does appreciably better, in documented forensic testing, than ANY load you could put into a J-frame, less any magnum loading (327 etc)?

To the OP, I'd go w/ the Smith Bodyguard, as the integrated laser module is a bonus!

HCrum87hc
08-15-16, 10:08
I pocket carry an LCP with a spare mag when deep concealment is a must. Of the ones you listed, I'd recommend it. I have never had a malfunction in it, and actually shoot it pretty well, regardless of the heavy trigger. My wife carries a G42, and it's a great gun, but I prefer the smaller size of the LCP in a pocket.

Helix12
08-15-16, 10:19
Of the three you list the only one I own is the Kahr CW380. I bought it for a specific, limited use carry option where I needed a very small gun, preferably in stainless steel. I didn't like the feel of the Ruger and a couple of people I talked with who own them like the size but said they were absolutely no fun to shoot. Besides, I've never cared for Ruger products outside the 10-22 rifles. Personal opinion only and not a cut at Ruger.

Kahr gets some bad mouthing, a lot of it from people who have never owned one. Kahr says not to consider their handguns reliable until it has had 200 rounds fired through it. My eight year old Kahr P9 has been perfect with now just over 2,000 rounds through it. Not a single bobble, not one.

My new CW380 had one jam in each of the first two magazines I fired through it. I finished out that first range trip by completing the 200 rounds recommended by Kahr. It was comfortable for all 200 rounds, fired one magazine after another. There were no other problems. I now have just under 500 rounds through it with no other jams or problems of any kind. It's a fun little gun to shoot and surprisingly accurate since there is very little real estate to hold onto.

You didn't ask about the G42 but since others have opened the door let me add a bit. Sitting here at my desk I have my G42, G43 and the CW380 side by side. There is some difference in size between the G42 and the G43, but not much. I bought the 42 as a fun gun and it is that but, I do not carry it. Anywhere I can carry the G42 I can also carry the G43 and have a better caliber.

There is a large difference in size between the G42 and the CW380. The Kahr is a micro gun. The G42 isn't in my opinion.

OP, it depends on your use for the gun. For me, the stainless steel Kahr was the better choice but the Ruger might have been equally as good for my limited use need. I already had a G42 and it was too big for what I wanted so I opted to buy the Kahr. Again, no personal experience with the Ruger or Smith.

Just my opinion. Good luck with your choice.

nova3930
08-15-16, 10:51
I had a BG380 but recently traded it for a "used" Kahr PM9, 1/4" longer than the BG but otherwise negligible size difference in every other dimension and the same capacity as the BG, just in 9mm. Never had any issues out of the BG in the 2 years I had it. I was using the BG for times where bigger wasn't feasible and even back pocket carrying it as a BUG even when I had my P320 on me. It's so small it melts away to nothing.

Wasn't sure if the prior owner of the PM9 had done the prescribed break in so I've been doing that. Been hotter than the 9th circle of hell here every day I've had to shoot so can only stand a box of ammo per session. Up to 150 rounds of the cheapest steel 9mm I could get my hands on and it hasn't hiccupped once. If I can get through 200 rounds of steel $#!^ ammo plus another couple hundred of my carry ammo I'm gonna call it good....

26 Inf
08-15-16, 11:42
I shot the Taurus 738 and the Kahr 380 (assume it's the one you are talking about) as well as the LCP before I bought my LCP.

The LCP was the winner hands down. I really like shooting it for some reason. For grins and giggles I shot it (using an OWB holster instead of my normal pocket carry) through our KSCPOST - cleaned it. The 5 rounds in 15 seconds at 25 yards wasn't a real good measure of long range combat marksmanship at speed, nor is the FBI Q a particularly realistic target - point is this little devil shoots okay.

I'd imagine with the Custom's sights it would be pretty darn good. For a back up gun, though, the base LCP is fine as is IMO.

T2C
08-15-16, 15:49
Are you at least aware that the Corbon 380 load does appreciably better, in documented forensic testing, than ANY load you could put into a J-frame, less any magnum loading (327 etc)?

To the OP, I'd go w/ the Smith Bodyguard, as the integrated laser module is a bonus!

Source? I would like to review the data about the effectiveness of the Corbon .380 in actual shooting incidents.

Spray
08-15-16, 17:27
I have a first generation LCP and honestly it is challenging to shoot. It is a back up gun only. I never carry it as a primary. I have not shot the others you are looking at so can't be of any help there. I have a buddy with a CM9 that I shoot much better than the LCP and I will probably trade it in CM9 and make that my as my bug even though it is a bit bigger.

quino171
08-15-16, 19:47
The best .380 I think is the P238. The reason that I think that is because I carry a 1911 regularly so there is no retraining. But. It works for me. As I always say.... Shooter's preference. Don't discount the 238. Great gun

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160816/e984de60d77d620dbbd6e444f5b8a0eb.jpg

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

guitarjem
08-15-16, 20:07
Honestly, with all the small 9mm's out there I would not go the .380 route. I almost did but decided to get the S&W Shield in 9mm and it's been my main CCW firearm. In my neck of the woods .380 cost almost as much as 45acp and hard to come by at times but 9mm is very inexpensive and found everywhere. Just food for thought.

quino171
08-17-16, 17:10
Honestly, with all the small 9mm's out there I would not go the .380 route. I almost did but decided to get the S&W Shield in 9mm and it's been my main CCW firearm. In my neck of the woods .380 cost almost as much as 45acp and hard to come by at times but 9mm is very inexpensive and found everywhere. Just food for thought.
Gotcha. Makes sense

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

tricolor
08-17-16, 21:24
Thanks for the feedback! I considered the Glock 42, but rejected it based on its size. I feel that the 42 and my Walther PPS aren't that far apart in size and share a similar niche. I am considering something smaller to maximize carry options and methods.

indawire
08-17-16, 21:38
IMHO, the LCP is it for a deep carry gun. Where I work I have to go deep and the LCP fits right into the cheek pocket behind my hip bone with a Smart Carry holster. It doesn't print at all there and I never notice it.

Dennis
08-17-16, 21:40
Our Dept has a very short list of anointed and approved 380's to include the G42, Bodyguard, and LCP. I agree the G42 is too big for a 380. This is especially true as my 380s are for backup pocket/ankle/hidden carry. Not as primary except where it's the only choice.

I have two LCPs and after break-in both have been reliable and I can get consistent hits on 50Y 10" wide steel silhouettes. They are what they are and I subscribe to the "6 and Run" method of employment if it ever comes down to it :-)

Dennis.