PDA

View Full Version : Service Life of Aimpoint LED's?

Tomac
09-04-08, 20:36
I've emailed Aimpoint but never got received an answer. Anyone know the estimated service life of an Aimpoint LED? Thx...
Tomac

Telperion
09-05-08, 01:24
LED lifetimes at 20mA are usually quoted around 100k hours.

An aimpoint's LED is drawing less current, is probably a carefully sourced part, and is heat sinked in a big aluminum tube. I've never seen an LED actually burn out on any equipment.

WasatchAR
09-05-08, 08:11
I have seen old Comp M LED's burn out, or just go dim. But there are a whole lot of older models out there working just fine. The newer models have life spans in the millions of hours

RAM Engineer
09-05-08, 18:43
I'd be worried about some other electronic component going bad in the sight before the LED itself. That or the wiring/soldering. You MIGHT get a reply if you ask them nicely what their MTTF is and whether that number was arrived at by testing or prediction or both. But would you really be able to make much sense out of the number if you found out (ie, what it really MEANS)?

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it too much...this isn't an EOTech we're talking about here!

People make more out of MTTF/MTBF numbers than is really there...

FJB
09-05-08, 20:28
Try emailing sales@aimpoint.com. The Aimpoint server firewall seems to be preventing alot of inquiries to the info@aimpoint.com address from getting through.

S/F