PDA

View Full Version : Got my stamp back on my new "Trunk Gun"

Smitty908
08-15-16, 21:16
Actually, I've had the stamp for like a month, but just finished gathering all the parts..

I wanted a bang-around gun to fit in the trunk that would be reliable, and handy. I (somewhat) went for the Colt "Commando" style.

Parts list as follows:

PSA FN Barreled 10.5" 1/7 upper.
AIM NiB / Nitride BCG
BCM Charging handle
Colt take-off carry handle

Early style "Chainsaw" Noveske Lower
ALG ACT Trigger (Purple spring)
Noveske takedown / pivot pins
Strike Industries Mag Catch and Button
Badger Ordnance Bolt Catch
Battle Arms Safety
Magpul Aluminum Trigger Guard
BCM Receiver Extension
Noveske QD Endplate
MOE Grip
MOE SL-K Stock
Larue buffer spring w/ H Buffer

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/Smitty908/gun%20pics/SBR%20Drum%203.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/Smitty908/gun%20pics/SBR%209.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/Smitty908/gun%20pics/SBR%202.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/Smitty908/gun%20pics/SBR%2010.jpg

Sterling Archer
08-15-16, 21:53
That's a great looking rifle! I've been thinking about putting together a trunk gun myself.

scooter22
08-16-16, 08:36
Nice. I'd be interested in a long term follow up on the PSA upper and AIM BCG.

daddyusmaximus
08-16-16, 11:24
Very nice. I've been thinking about an old school commando type upper for my SBR. I love the look and feel of the old school style, but I'm not sure I'd want to give up the ability to mount a light. I have other things to pay on right now, but I keep thinking about this every time I see someone build one.

bighawk
08-16-16, 11:59
Very nice. I've been thinking about an old school commando type upper for my SBR. I love the look and feel of the old school style, but I'm not sure I'd want to give up the ability to mount a light. I have other things to pay on right now, but I keep thinking about this every time I see someone build one.

You could always go with a magpul MOE handguard even though it takes away from the old school style.

scooter22
08-16-16, 13:39
Nice. I'd like to see a long term follow up on the PSA upper and AIM BCG.

jsharp
08-17-16, 02:52
Looks good. I've been wanting to build a similar pistol to keep in the vehicle.

Circle_10
08-17-16, 19:26
Very cool. I recently got the SL-K stock for one of my carbines as well. I am a fan of the older "CAR" style stock but the SL-K feels like kind of a spiritual successor to it.
It really goes well with the rest of your build.

ISiman/oh
08-17-16, 20:42
Really like the looks of your build. I too am curious about a long term usage on that upper. I have a FN barrel 16" upper from them that has been awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larryp
08-21-16, 11:56
Nice. I'd like to see a long term follow up on the PSA upper and AIM BCG.

I have the same bcg. Bought it a year ago when the panic buying was going on and not much else was available. So far so good. We'll see how it does long term. The staking is good. Worst comes to worst I'll replace the bolt with a BCM one.

misfit47
09-15-16, 15:19
Very clean and simple. I dig it.

Iraqgunz
09-16-16, 02:06
The last PSA 10.5" upper I saw was a quite but gassy. You may want to consider an H2 or even an H3.

nova3930
09-16-16, 09:42
Good looking KISS rifle.

misfit47
09-16-16, 10:39
Where's it engraved?

abso
09-16-16, 11:02
What made you choose 10.5 over 11.5 for the barrel length? Pistol gas systems seem a bit temperamental to me. The most interesting thing I'd like to see is a follow up on the BCG. There's a thread on tos where a guys aim nib looks like almost all of the nib is flaking off.

BumbleBeeGIXXER
09-16-16, 14:49
What made you choose 10.5 over 11.5 for the barrel length? Pistol gas systems seem a bit temperamental to me. The most interesting thing I'd like to see is a follow up on the BCG. There's a thread on tos where a guys aim nib looks like almost all of the nib is flaking off.

10.5" 5.56 is carbine gas system. I had one of these uppers a few years back and had to run an H2 to tame it a little.

docsherm
09-16-16, 18:12
Where's it engraved?

Not the OP but it looks like on the top of the trigger well, on each side of the trigger.

_Stormin_
09-18-16, 15:47
Not the OP but it looks like on the top of the trigger well, on each side of the trigger.
I took a second look at the pictures when I first saw it, thinking the same thing (where is the engraving) myself. I know some guys obscure it in photos posted online, and initially though it may have been on the mag well and just p-shopped out...

Sweet looking rifle OP.

madone
09-18-16, 17:59
I want a trunk gun as well but I would have to go with an ares scr (or something less scary to liberals) as CT does not allow ARs in vehicles unless going to range. My other hang up is theft while out and about. How do you plan on securing it? But still have quick access when needed ?

B Cart
09-20-16, 10:15
Great looking trunk gun! Out of curiosity, why no weapon mounted light? Unless you never drive after dark or use NVGs, I would think a WML would a must on a trunk gun to be able to ID targets in low/no light, and especially if you're only running iron sights, as they can be difficult to see and use effectively in the dark. Not knocking your setup, just curious. But great looking gun overall!

556BlackRifle
09-23-16, 08:15
That's an awesome trunk gun. I might be a little apprehensive about leaving an NFA weapon in my trunk but if it works for you - then more power to you. Well done!

jlberryhill
10-21-16, 15:02
Classic look. Love it. I want one of those noveske lowers just to have for an SBR build too. The new gen 3's are such sweet looking lowers. especially on SBR's. Funds depleted for a while after I picked up this bad boy from bolt carrier last week. 42084