PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best stainless bull barrel?

emmo
08-16-16, 12:32
Gentlemen, I'm working on my 1st AR build. I have a Colt Expanse rifle and I'd like to switch out the barrel for a 24" stainless bull barrel. Is there a consensus on a few good companies? I don't want a muzzle device on it. Thanks

Koshinn
08-16-16, 12:53
For 5.56, I thought going over 20" gained so little muzzle velocity that it wasn't worth it? I actually heard that about 18" to be honest.

scottryan
08-16-16, 12:59
Gentlemen, I'm working on my 1st AR build. I have a Colt Expanse rifle and I'd like to switch out the barrel for a 24" stainless bull barrel. Is there a consensus on a few good companies? I don't want a muzzle device on it. Thanks

The correct answer is the 20" bull varmit barrel from noveske.

You don't need a 24" barrel.

Or you can buy a colt CR6720 target gun.

Jwknutson17
08-16-16, 13:00
Whats your goal with this build?? Without specifically knowing, I would stick to 20 and under. You are not going to get much gain with 24, and you can shoot 700 yards with a 18 inch barrel. If you are planning to use larger projectiles over 77gr Mk262's, you cant fit them in your mag anyway. If you want a 24 inch bull barrel in 223, you will want to build or buy a bolt action rifle. Just my .02

Skyyr
08-16-16, 13:06
Look up the different barrel manufacturing techniques, specifically how rifling is created. You'll find a common theme where single-point cut rifling tends to perform better than hammer forged or button-cut rifling. If you're going for pure performance over reliability, I'd suggest a single point cut barrel, such as Bartlein or Krieger.

If you're going for reliability in potentially adverse conditions, look no further than Noveske. They're button cut so there's theoretically (key word) some less potential for accuracy, but their chamber is second to none for a good compromise between accuracy and reliability.

ExplorinInTheWoods
08-16-16, 20:01
The correct answer is the 20" bull varmit barrel from noveske.

You don't need a 24" barrel.

Or you can buy a colt CR6720 target gun.

This is a good suggestion, have two rifles, two different purposes.

ExplorinInTheWoods
08-16-16, 20:02
Look up the different barrel manufacturing techniques, specifically how rifling is created. You'll find a common theme where single-point cut rifling tends to perform better than hammer forged or button-cut rifling. If you're going for pure performance over reliability, I'd suggest a single point cut barrel, such as Bartlein or Krieger.

If you're going for reliability in potentially adverse conditions, look no further than Noveske. They're button cut so there's theoretically (key word) some less potential for accuracy, but their chamber is second to none for a good compromise between accuracy and reliability.

Noveske stainless are polygonal not button

Ned Christiansen
08-16-16, 20:15
Wilson Combat is now making their own rifle barrels.

Not to be confused with the Wilson barrels that are OEM'd to several manufacturers. I think they re generally considered somewhat pedestrian due to the OEM part but I've had good accuracy with them going way back.

Ahh, but the Wilson Combat barrels.... well, OK, barrel, since I only have one..... it is shaping up to be a real hummer. Got my first honest to gosh one-hole 5-shot group at 100 with it, using Nosler factory loads, 69 grainers.

I bore scoped it before ever shooting it and, lots of attention to detail inside. No burrs whatsoever from chambering, baby's bottom surfaces.

Benito
08-16-16, 20:33
To each their own. 24" bull barrel to me is something that is only suited for bench/prone competition. Even there, though, a bolt gun would be more accurate and cheaper, all else being equal.

rockapede
08-17-16, 03:06

Not to be confused with the Wilson barrels that are OEM'd to several manufacturers. I think they re generally considered somewhat pedestrian due to the OEM part but I've had good accuracy with them going way back.

Ahh, but the Wilson Combat barrels.... well, OK, barrel, since I only have one..... it is shaping up to be a real hummer. Got my first honest to gosh one-hole 5-shot group at 100 with it, using Nosler factory loads, 69 grainers.

I bore scoped it before ever shooting it and, lots of attention to detail inside. No burrs whatsoever from chambering, baby's bottom surfaces.

I'm issued a rifle at work (LE) that has had a 20" Wilson Combat barrel for about 6 months now. It's been phenomenal.

lysander
08-17-16, 07:23
The best?

Bartlein or Krieger.

emmo
08-17-16, 10:49
Thanks very much for the info. I really don't know anything about ARs yet, I assumed the longer the barrel the longer the better. However, you all seem to agree an 18" or 20" is the best choice. I'm just a weekend plinker, I just like the look of a thick heavy stainless barrel on these guns. I'm sure the stock government profile barrel my gun came with is more accurate than I am anyways. I'm starting to realize these ARs are just like Harleys, you get one and can't stop thinking about what parts to switch out to make it look cool:cool: Thanks again for the help

Benito
08-17-16, 11:35
IF I was going to get a 20" barrel (or a barrel of any lengthy for that matter), a government profile would be literally the last thing I would ever consider. There is no good reason for it, except for maybe if you got one for free.
Shitty and absurd weight distribution, harmonics, etc.
Hells no

Koshinn
08-17-16, 11:48

How would you compare them to a Krieger barrel? Or Noveske? Or Proof Research?

scottryan
08-17-16, 12:12
Too much bullshit in this thread.

The only two acceptable choices are the Noveske and Colt solution. Or you could get an LMT MRP with 20" match barrel.

All the other brands listed do not have a pinned on gas block.

Most of the custom barrel markers have no clue about making an AR-15 barrel work. By work, I mean reliable cycling of ammo. These places are good at boring, chambering, and rifling a rod of metal but suck at eveyting else surrounding the barrel such as gas blocks, threading for silencers, and chamber extensions. These places make barrels for bolt action guns.

Skyyr
08-17-16, 12:23

The only two acceptable choices are the Noveske and Colt solution. Or you could get an LMT MRP with 20" match barrel.

Most of the custom barrel markers have no clue about making an AR-15 barrel work. By work, I mean reliable cycling of ammo. These places are good at boring, chambering, and rifling a rod of metal but suck at eveyting else surrounding the barrel such as gas blocks, threading for silencers, and chamber extensions. These places make barrels for bolt action guns.

Reliability is not always compatible with accuracy. If it's a dedicated bench gun where reliability is a tertiary or even non-existent concern, there are much better options than Colt.

dramabeats
08-17-16, 15:04

Why is a pinned gas block a requirement?

I can assure you that Compass Lake does not suck at everything else..

lysander
08-17-16, 15:08

Yes there is a lot of bull in this thread. Some right ^^here^^.

Krieger makes excellent AR barrels. If you want the muzzle threaded to less than .0005" eccentricity, they can do that. Pinned? You can do that too.

He asked for the "best".

If you want "the best", and are willing to pay for it, Krieger is certainly one of, if not the, "best". Are Colt barrels single-point cut-rifled and hand lapped?

(And, they're damn reliable.)

Jsp10477
08-17-16, 17:43
Define "best". Seems application dependent. Best accuracy? Best accuracy with a chamber designed to cycle when the gun is hot and dirty? Makes a difference.

lysander
08-18-16, 05:53
Define "best". Seems application dependent. Best accuracy? Best accuracy with a chamber designed to cycle when the gun is hot and dirty? Makes a difference.

I'd like to switch out the barrel for a 24" stainless bull barrel. Is there a consensus on a few good companies? I don't want a muzzle device on it.
Well, he probably doesn't want to take a carbine class with it....

Jsp10477
08-18-16, 08:40
I didn't say he did.

So let me ask this. Does the best torque their extension to spec then drill the gas port, or drill the port then torque the extension to line up the pin? I know what their reason is for drilling the port first but what's more important, a port in the land or a properly torqued extension?

If all you care about is printing small groups on paper or hitting small varmints you may opt one way, if you want to do the same with a barrel designed for reliability first you may go another. Does he want a tight 223rem match chamber or something like a Wylde or something designed for mk262? What's best?

Skyyr
08-18-16, 11:34
I didn't say he did.

So let me ask this. Does the best torque their extension to spec then drill the gas port, or drill the port then torque the extension to line up the pin? I know what their reason is for drilling the port first but what's more important, a port in the land or a properly torqued extension?

If all you care about is printing small groups on paper or hitting small varmints you may opt one way, if you want to do the same with a barrel designed for reliability first you may go another. Does he want a tight 223rem match chamber or something like a Wylde or something designed for mk262? What's best?

I'm going to go out on a really big limb and say that he's probably not going to run carbine courses, perform CQB, or even use his rifle for home defense, so he probably doesn't care one bit about combat chambers or reliability in adverse conditions. I'm going to go out even further and predict that he's probably going to sit at a bench, or maybe shoot prone, and hit tiny targets and shoot tiny little groups.

It's a freaking 24" bull barrel. What other common, practical uses does such a barrel have? :rolleyes:

Jsp10477
08-18-16, 11:42
I get what he's wanting. My point was that "best" is subjective.

lysander
08-18-16, 13:30
I didn't say he did.

They build them correctly. And yes, the gas port in between the lands, as I said correctly.*

And they do all chamber types.

I'll bet if you asked (and paid for it) they would even cut a M249 size chamber for you, but I would ask "Why?"

Jsp10477
08-18-16, 14:20
Dang bud, sig line worthy? lol

Op stated he wanted it for the look and plinking. If those are the only requirements, any stainless bull barrel should work.

titsonritz
08-18-16, 16:33
* If Colt, or any other Government barrel contractor can drill, torque, and pin a barrel to spec, it can be nuclear physics difficult....

I think you mean "...can't be nuclear physics difficult...."

lysander
08-18-16, 17:21
I think you mean "...can't be nuclear physics difficult...."
Apparently spelling is as difficult as nuclear physics...

Ned Christiansen
09-06-16, 07:36
How would you compare them to a Krieger barrel? Or Noveske? Or Proof Research?

Can't say I have enough time with any of them to compare. I have not owned a Noveske; had a Krieger in 6X45 and it was everything I expected. I have not borescoped a Noveske, I scoped the Krieger but all I remember is the wonder of the in-the-lands gas port. I do recall it patching very smoothly, which some barrels do and some don't.

Proof Research, all I know is what I've seen on their site.

FWIW the 6X45 ammo the Krieger liked best was the Barnes Varmint Grenade. The woodchucks eating my vehicle did NOT like it.

Warg
09-06-16, 19:35
Noveske stainless are polygonal not button

Noveske SS barrels are not hammer forged and are made with a proprietary buttons.

With respect to the OP, you haven't defined what your intended use is for "best". If you want to shoot tiny groups consistently and are looking for a barrel that has exemplary wear (and minimal fouling) characteristics, get a high end barrel from makers like Krieger, Bartlein, Benchmark, Lilja, and Brux in the appropriate a twist rate and chambering. Make sure the 'smith knows how to properly install the BE and drill the appropriate sized gas port. Those directly chambered from Krieger and Lilja are very much GTG.

A 24" vs 20" barrel will net you ~100 FPS depending on load, bullet, elevation, etc. With a commonly used bullet like the 77gr. SMK, the difference in drop (in.) and drift (in.) in a 5 MPH wind is roughly 6" and 1", respectively at 500 y.

Ned Christiansen
09-11-16, 13:57
I just bore-scoped another Wilson Combat barrel with zero rounds through it-- they are very nice inside and both had no gas port burr whatsoever.

tom12.7
09-11-16, 16:57
How could any of us determine a barrel for the OP's use? We do not have a clear subject to pursue?
Sure, there are different barrels available, but the OP does not give a clear direction to follow for use. An adequate barrel could be one of the too many variables than what was presented for multiple uses.

Singlestack Wonder
09-11-16, 20:25
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-20-SAM-R-SS410-Barrel-with-Rifle-Length-Gas-p/bcm-brl-ss410-samr-1-ibb.htm

BrigandTwoFour
09-11-16, 21:45
OP,

You're saying this is your first AR, and that this project is mainly for weekend plinking. How experienced are you with shooting in general, and how capable are you of producing tight groups? I only ask because you're asking a pretty broad question. We can point you to which barrels are most commonly used (http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/11/21/precision-rifle-barrels/) by precision rifle match winners, but the truth is that if you aren't capable of taking advantage of a $450-$900 barrel from Hart, Proof, Brux, Bartlein, Krieger, or many others, then you are seriously wasting your money. This is even more true if you are going to buy one of these barrels and shoot bulk ammo through it.