PDA

View Full Version : Roof collapse at Ft Sam Houston, my son!!

rocsteady
08-17-16, 06:37
Some sort of roof or ceiling collapse in my son's dorm at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio Texas. Does anyone have any information?

Cryptic message from my ex about one sort of structural collapse and now we're all holding our breath...

Averageman
08-17-16, 06:44
I haven't heard anything yet.
Prayers.

rocsteady
08-17-16, 08:07

Found this somewhere on social media, not as bad as I was envisioning but I still haven't heard any news one way or the other.

Ryno12
08-17-16, 08:14
Hard to tell on my phone but it looks like a 6"(?) Victaulic pipe joint and/or hanger failed & it fell through the suspended ceiling.

HeruMew
08-17-16, 08:14
Wowza!

My thoughts are with you and your family in these times.

Based on the pictures, it doesn't appear anyone is hurt.

Waiting on further info of course.

rocsteady
08-17-16, 09:14
So word is coming out that only affected one floor and all soldiers have been accounted for. Whole building was evacuated in the meantime.

Another example of gov contracts going to the lowest bidder?

ColtSeavers
08-17-16, 10:05
So word is coming out that only affected one floor and all soldiers have been accounted for. Whole building was evacuated in the meantime.

My first thought is how old is the building?

Glad everyone (so far) is ok.

Alex V
08-17-16, 10:26
Looks like a sprinkler pipe.

Good to know everyone is alright.

Ryno12
08-17-16, 10:36
Looks like a sprinkler pipe.

FP (painted red) is still hanging in the ceiling.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-17-16, 13:14
Looks like a water pipe of some sort broke from it's hangers and fell through the grid ceiling so nothing structural.

GH41
08-17-16, 16:51

Government contracts rarely go to the lowest bidder. They almost always go to a contractor they have a relationship with. The terms of the contract usually scare off the low bidders. Working for the government is something most contractors only do once. I built a 12x12 his and her bathroom with a detached 4x10 dressing room on the beach. The contract was $255,000 and we lost our ass.

Averageman
08-17-16, 17:11
For the "Back in the Day" files.
Before leaving AIT for my first duty station I got put on one of those details where we were mostly just sweeping and running buffers on empty barracks. The E- scumbag who was "Permanent Party" and supposedly supervising us kept looking in to the ceiling tiles.
Before there were a lot of dogs and urine tests there was a lot of weed up in those ceiling tiles..
PFC Tommy Chong's bale fell out?

Shorts
08-18-16, 09:18
SA is very soggy from the week of rain. Wouldn't be surprised if too much water had something to do with it.

rocsteady
08-22-16, 07:50
My first thought is how old is the building?

Glad everyone (so far) is ok.

Building is supposedly only 2 or 3 years old.