PDA

View Full Version : First AR

TinyCrumb
08-18-16, 12:49
Hopefully a thread like this already doesn't exist - but if it does, it's a bit hard to search for (for obvious reasons).

Just thought it would be interesting to hear what everyone's first AR was. And what factors led to your decision to choose it. And what lessons you learned from it. I think this would be interesting, especially some of the SME's or industry partners who are now in the AR-life full time.

Anywho, I'll kick it off:

Mine was an LMT Defender 2000, their basic 16" M4 clone. I really had no idea what I was doing, I had moved home from college out of country, recently married, and just knew I really wanted a black rifle. I had grown up around shooting, but mostly historical guns or hunting rifles.

I walked in to a gun shop and let the guy at the counter steer me. I believe I paid around 1700.

I definitely got hosed on the price, but in hindsight, I'm still really happy that I ended up choosing a quality rifle. I still love LMT to this day. The rifle has since been parted out. Years later I began customizing it, starting with the standard fare (FF rail, etc…) and then eventually got in to buying many more. But I still keep the lower receiver around for builds and it's fun to remind myself that it was my first one.

Jewell
08-18-16, 14:27
When the assault weapons ban was lifted, I was still in the military. I definitely wanted my own rifle at the time, but held off b/c I was never home. Anyhow, the first I bought on my own dime was a Colt LE6920. It's worn many different outfits, been used and abused, but it's been a great rifle.

jhr1986
08-18-16, 14:32
Circa 2008: My first was a doublestar lower that I built with a ? LPK & (commercial) m4 stock set, bought a used CMMG 16" M4ish type upper. Didn't stake the castle nut. Didn't assemble the lower properly the first time. Learned something and sold it about a year later.

I started out on the opposite end of the spectrum, low quality/cost. Fortunately I've since wised up.

VIP3R 237
08-18-16, 14:42
The first AR that I bought was a Bushmaster Varminter... I'm so glad I found this site after.

danco
08-18-16, 14:57
Colt SP1 rifle, purchased in 1984.

Jewell
08-18-16, 15:08

Nice. Do you still have it?

Dionysusigma
08-18-16, 15:42
Mine was a "build" back in 2007, specifically a Del-Ton midlength kit on a Superior Arms (?) lower, with a cheapo LMT-style rear sight from UTG. Magazines were heavily used USGI (as in, gold-colored from the worn finish), and the furniture was basic A2-syle handguard, grip, and M4 stock. Carbine buffer. No optic. Never a single problem, aside from it making apparent how bad of a shot I was.

I honestly kinda miss it.

TinyCrumb
08-18-16, 15:57
A classic. Still an awesome rifle today too. Hope you still have it.

Tortuga
08-18-16, 16:14
LMT 14.5" Upper
LMT Defender Lower with factory two-stage trigger and SOPMOD stock
LMT F/A BCG
Ordered the three pieces separately and avoided the FET.

Since then, the 14.5" gave way to a 16" middie barrel, the stock handguard to a Geissele MK4, and the SOPMOD to an UBR.

donlapalma
08-18-16, 16:27
Colt 6920 based on the advice on this forum. Bought it probably right around the time I joined....2009ish? Since then, BCM 11.5" 5.56 and BCM 9" 300BLK. The 6920 was all dressed up but has since returned to a simple no-frills configuration. The SBR really spoiled me in terms of weight and balance so I stripped the 6920 down trying to make it as light as I could. Wouldn't mind a mid-length at some point just for the hell of it. Not going to be this year though since I was filing Form 1s and 4s like mad early in the year.

craig19
08-18-16, 16:37
Mine was a ban era Bushy A2 upper on a DPMS A2 lower. My father gave it to me when I commissioned. I know everyone hates Bushy and DPMS, but I have not had a problem with it in 11 years. I had the barrel threaded and threw an A2 muzzle brake on it. Although I haven't had an issue, I will say the BCG does look pretty cheap compared any mil-spec BCG I have ever seen.

My most recent AR purchase was a BCM A4 upper I put on a lower I put together.

Falar
08-18-16, 16:43
Bushmaster M4A3. I hadn't been out of the Army that long but had already passed through the "everything else is better than ours" phase when I picked one up for $800 bucks. I upgraded it a lot over the years until I got to the point where the lower was the only original part.

teksid
08-18-16, 16:47
Mine was a DPMS I bought in 2004 when Bush was up for reelection and we didn't know if he would help reinstate the AWB after he won if he won. FWIW it shoots all Ammo including Tulammo and Wolf without a hiccup.
I now have Colts, Noveske's and a BCM, but the DP ain't leaving.

Rogue556
08-18-16, 16:49
I wish I'd have found this site before my first AR purchase. It was actually because of all the issues that rifle had that I found M4C. Lower was a DPMS with a comercial stock, upper was a pinned 14.7 CMMG. That rifle was a mess. It was an impulse buy I bought with literally no research. Brass constantly got stuck in the chamber, failures to fire a few times a mag, and the list goes on. You'd have thought I bought a damn Fender guitar as much as that rifle loved to jam out. I sold it to fund a Colt 6920 after reading here and all has been good since.

jmp45
08-18-16, 18:20
2008 because of the political change. M&P from Gander. I had no idea of this site or Grant being a hop, skip and jump away. Planning on selling all before they confiscate, why take a loss..;) Better than losing them a boat accident.

bloodlord77
08-18-16, 19:33
Mine was a waste of hard earned money at $900. A Bushmaster xm15 m4a3. Based on childhood nostalgia hearing that BMs were good quality. Impulse bought it with no knowledge of their modern issues. $800 later, its actually something i can bear to call my own.

bigboi98
08-18-16, 20:07
PSA-15. Kinda wish I would've kept it. Kinda glad I sold it. That money is in my "Future SR-15 Fund".

Sent from my SM-G920V

Headache
08-18-16, 20:51
A Colt AR15 A2, bought it in 1991 off a guy for $550. Still own it today.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-18-16, 21:06
I bought in 2008 when I was 19. Obviously worried about the political climate, plus I just wanted a black rifle. CMMG lower with a Spikes M4 clone upper. Carry handle sights. I had been reading all the wrong sections over on TOS and then found this gold mine of knowledge. Not long after I sold it and bought a BCM 16 middy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsharp
08-18-16, 21:10
Colt SP1 purchased in 1980 or '81. Still have it, still shoot it.

bighawk
08-18-16, 21:21
Back in '09 I bought a Bushmaster M4A3 from a buddy in a pinch for about $750. I didn't know anything about ARs at the time and it went through a lot of changes and a lot of rounds. I have a good LGS that steered me towards quality accessories, optics and lights as soon as I started looking for them. In 2010 after a lot of lurking gun forums before joining any I picked up a BCM by recommendation of my LGS and sold the bushmaster for the same price I paid for the BCM. I never looked back once I learned what a quality AR is like and I go out of my way to help friends buy quality ARs now as well. Now the happy owner of Noveske, DD and BCM rifles today as well as a few quality builds. This site is the only reason I learned about quality guns and I lurked here just reading for a LONG time before I joined.

cdclpc
08-18-16, 21:21
Bought my Core before I joined here and we all know how that has worked out. I wanted an AR for years and was never able to afford one even though I had rifles that cost more and a Springfield 1911 stainless long slide. Guess my priorities were different then. Finally buy my First AR and chose it based on appearance alone. Most for the money I thought. Boy was I wrong. Now I love my DD and thanks to M4C, despite never owning one, upon seeing a young man walking out of a sporting goods store this past weekend, smiling from ear to ear carrying s bushmaster box, I thought to myself how unfortunate his purchase was.

daniel87
08-18-16, 21:37
2 years ago

aac 300 blk 9 upper

seekins forged lower(non integral trigger guard)

alg lpk

pws tube
st t2 buffer

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

dante2
08-18-16, 21:39
My first was an Olympic Arms (gone) followed by a Spikes lower/upper bought about the time I found this site and got sold shortly thereafter. After lots of research I went with an LMT lower from Grant and an upper from VTS. 8+ years later that LMT has never been used. My DD M4V7 is the go to gun and has a few classes under it's belt.

user737425
08-18-16, 22:20
In 2010 a Noveske N4 Light Basic.

henschman
08-18-16, 22:56
Mine was a turd DPMS 16" HBAR with a fixed stock I got at a gun show in '04 or so. I knew nothing about ARs and only bought it because it was the cheapest one I could find ($600). There was something seriously wrong with it -- it wouldn't group for shit. I sold the upper and bought a random M4gery upper at another gun show that was the cheapest thing I could find. I wasn't too impressed with it's reliability and traded it off pretty quick. That experience soured me on ARs for a while, until I discovered The Chart and learned that it is possible to have a reliable one if you follow certain criteria instead of just buying the cheapest one you can find. I got back into ARs in 2011 or so and they have quickly become my favorite fighting rifle.

Firefly
08-18-16, 22:59
My very first AR was a Ban Bushmaster.
I had an STG 58 I shot more but wanted an "M4". I wasn't on any gun forums but I just wanted some kind of an AR. I didn't expect much. The stock couldn't collapse and it had that Y comp barrel ('memba them?) LOUD.

I had that rifle for months until I realized it had a detachable carty handle. I twisted those knobs because my only AR experience was with an old M16A2 that looked black and silver it was so worn. I was taught very basic zeroing but what I didn't know about ARs could fill oceans.

Then I caught the bug and got a "restricted" 6920. It was much, much nicer. Still have it. The Bushmaster I 'de-banned' at the sunset and had two 10 round mags and 2 20 round colt mags, and 5 30 rounders and thought I had an arsenal. I remember ammo being stupid cheap. I'd take my Glock, my Bushmaster, and my shooting buddy (who since moved and I lost track of) brought an M1 Carbine and a Beretta. I paid $99 each for two Glock mags and was envious of his Beretta and 6 15 rounders.

You could shoot all day for not much money and murdered many coke cans.

Meh Bushmaster is gone and I sorta wish I still had it. Realistically it wasn't all that but it was fun. I was young and didn't care.

dsk
08-18-16, 23:26
My first was a pre-ban Bushmaster 20" A2 HBAR that I bought just before the '94 ban took effect, meaning I paid a pretty penny for it. However it turned out to be a fantastic shooter and unbelievably accurate, and to this day I regret having sold it years later when the novelty of owning an AR-15 momentarily wore off (there were also very few places where I could shoot it). And yes I sold it for much less than I paid for it, which was doubly-stupid. My next AR was a Bushmaster M4 Patrolman's Carbine purchased just after the ban was lifted, and I kept that until prices finally dropped on Colt ARs (plus they finally ended that oversized pivot pin nonsense) which made me sell the Bushy and get a 6920 instead.

dbain99
08-19-16, 07:03
Late 90's Bushmaster Predator that I still have and love to shoot.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

tgizzard
08-19-16, 07:51
My first AR was a Bushmaster Carbon 15. Yup, I had no idea what I was buying when I bought it. Luckily a member here saw my proud posted pictures of it later that day and made it his mission to steer me in the direction of quality parts and arms. I ended up selling that bushy during the panic of 13 for a smooth $1100, so I think I got my money back on that purchase ... :cool:

sig1473
08-19-16, 07:58
Stag Model 1 bought in 2008. Ditched the upper but I still have the lower.

JC5188
08-19-16, 08:01
First was an ArmaLite AR10A4C in 2007. Wanted to use it hunting deer, which I did a couple of times. Knew absolutely nothing about ARs, and the research I did combined with the budget I had led me to the ArmaLite. Long before I found this site, I put a DD Lite rail, 4-24x scope, and a bipod on that carbine with a 16" pencil barrel. Sniper style, yo. First hump to the tree stand was all it took to convince me I had WAY f'd up. I think it weighed like 14 lbs.

I still have it in a much more sane config. Rail, light, and irons. Just a short range heavy hitter. I was always a lever carbine guy...I think this rifle is our generation's lever carbine equivalent.

danco
08-19-16, 09:36
Nice. Do you still have it?

Yes, but I don't shoot it as often as my SP6920.

I'm left-eye dominant and shoot left-handed. I have a spring-loaded case deflector on it, but it still dumps hot brass onto my right elbow!

feraldog
08-19-16, 09:36
SP1 carbine in 1978. added a ACOG (with a 3-digit serial number) three-four years later. i still believe its all one really needs as a utility rifle (although i do really enjoy my DDM4V11LW).

Korgs130
08-19-16, 10:32
Thankfully I found M4c before I purchased my first AR. Ended up getting a BCM Mid-length with FSB on top of a BCM Blem lower.

HCrum87hc
08-19-16, 11:10
My first AR was a BCM 16" mid-length upper on a PSA complete lower.

_Stormin_
08-19-16, 12:22
Ban Era - Oly Arms M4gery that I picked up in a trade with a friend. He needed a computer monitor, and a new sound card. Having moved into the city he had no ranges he could take the rifle to. Loved the platform, but that thing was a turd. Only good part was that it would run any ammo thanks to being overgassed like crazy, and we put thousands of rounds of the cheapest ammo money could buy through it. When he finally moved back to the burbs he wanted it back. Another trade and I came out with a Glock 20 (still like 10mm). Pretty confident that he lost hundreds in value trading that one to and then acquiring it back from me, but he proposed the deal each time.
The rest have been builds. I'm eyeballing an SR25 right now (if I can find one in stock) and that one will be my second "factory rifle" in my entire time shooting the platform.

kerplode
08-19-16, 14:14
My first AR was a home-build on a stripped Bushmaster lower in 1994...Just after the ban.

It consisted of that lower, a box of random gun show parts as the LPK, a Bushmaster A2 upper, Bushmaster BCG, and a Bushmaster post-ban dissipator barrel assembly. One of my dad's buddies helped me torque the barrel nut and I banged the rest of it together on my Mom's kitchen table using a Marine Corps tech manual as a reference.

It was the 90's...I was in high-school and didn't know any better. I couldn't afford a proper Colt or Armalite and I wanted to build one to learn about how they worked.

Anyway, it mostly worked, but I didn't shoot it a whole lot on account of going to college and getting jobs and such. Around 2006-2007, I pulled it back out of the safe and noticed that the BCG was binding in the upper. It did that back in the day, too, but not knowing anything, I just squirted oil on it and pounded rounds home with the forward assist when it got sluggish. I figured "what the hell" and wrote to Bushmaster CS and told them the story. CS Dude told me to send in the upper assembly and they'd take a look. I got it back a couple weeks later...The A2 I had was out of spec so they swapped it with an A3 for no charge. :-)

I ended up selling it not too long after to fund something else. I have much better ARs these days, but that pile of ban-era Bushmaster parts taught me a lot.

jwhyte
08-19-16, 19:05
Circa '08 my first AR was a Del-Ton (DTI) build I had my lgs put together. DTI upper and lower, 14.5" barrel with pinned Noveske flash hider, full length quad rail and a Eotech 553 I believe. Shot fine however I had to sell it during a financial downturn. I bought into the whole concept that uppers and lowers are all the same no matter the rollmark. I've since changed my philosophy and bought a BCM. Can't help but support a company that makes a reliable product with top notch CS and is 20 minutes from me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

MegademiC
08-19-16, 21:37
My first ar: I bought a mega lower and a stag kit from ar15parts.Com or something.

Replaced upper with an adco build of parts I aquired over time while in college. Quality parts. Added bcm receiver tube, torqued correctly and staked.

rapomstage3
08-19-16, 21:41
2004 bushmaster xm15 e2s a2 14.5" with a pinned phantom. Close second was a colt sporter that I wish was my first but the bushy served me well.

LoveAR
08-19-16, 21:44
You hit the nail on the head with your first AR purchase. Hard to beat an LMT. The first AR I purchased was thankfully my only mistake. I have an LMT and two BCMs now.