PDA

View Full Version : Blink Security cams

WillBrink
08-18-16, 19:32
Have you all seen the Blink home monitoring system? It has all sorts of unique tech. So far, seems best of the bunch and does some cool stuff. I have two so far pointed at the front and rear door. I plan to add 3 more once I have them a few months to test. Not a new concept, but may be the best of them and price is great.

https://blinkforhome.com/

The Netgear's Arlo appears even better but costs more.

Ironman8
08-18-16, 21:19
Interesting. My question is how does it know when you're gone and to start monitoring for motion to begin recording?

tb-av
08-18-16, 21:35
Interesting. My question is how does it know when you're gone and to start monitoring for motion to begin recording?

A lot of this new IoT stuff works off adjunct apps. One being If This Then That.. IFTTT. Another is Tasker. Tasker is very powerful but difficult to learn IFTTT is simple and easy.
If Time = 7PM to 6AM and Cam1 senses motion then Do X sort of deal.

It all gets tied to your network, their clouds, the hubs if any... It get's kinda complicated.

But for instance if I walk in my home I can tell tasker to have my phone not need an unlock code as long as I'm on my home wifi.

It can all be tied together by varying degrees. I've been buying LIFX lights and they have no hub which is nice. But I can control them through their app, IFTTT, Tasker, or basically whichever 'thing app' I desire... Amazon Echo for instance. I could have a SmartThings motion sensor turn on a LIFX bulb via the SmartThings app for instance.

So your question is really complicated but per their FAQ, the only way to do it is via their app and for that reason alone I would not touch them as they don't work with the most basic and prolific hardware and apps already out there.

GH41
08-19-16, 07:02
My head hurts

WillBrink
08-19-16, 07:17

You can arm it or not when you wish from your phone. You can just do a live view to see what's happening in your house, or set it to send you an alert with vid when armed. Has worked well so far.

WillBrink
08-19-16, 07:44
A lot of this new IoT stuff works off adjunct apps. One being If This Then That.. IFTTT. Another is Tasker. Tasker is very powerful but difficult to learn IFTTT is simple and easy.
If Time = 7PM to 6AM and Cam1 senses motion then Do X sort of deal.

It all gets tied to your network, their clouds, the hubs if any... It get's kinda complicated.

But for instance if I walk in my home I can tell tasker to have my phone not need an unlock code as long as I'm on my home wifi.

It can all be tied together by varying degrees. I've been buying LIFX lights and they have no hub which is nice. But I can control them through their app, IFTTT, Tasker, or basically whichever 'thing app' I desire... Amazon Echo for instance. I could have a SmartThings motion sensor turn on a LIFX bulb via the SmartThings app for instance.

So your question is really complicated but per their FAQ, the only way to do it is via their app and for that reason alone I would not touch them as they don't work with the most basic and prolific hardware and apps already out there.

Not sure why that would be a deal breaker, but for cost, ease of set up, and function, seems an excellent security adjunct. A step up appears to be the Netgear's Arlo system, but more $.

Ned Christiansen
08-19-16, 08:13
Very interesting to me but the vid is a little overly slick and a tad short on hard info. But enough for me to want to give it a try depending on price.

Averageman
08-19-16, 08:33
Thanks, I've been looking for something like this.
I will read up on it, it looks like just the ticket to go along with the rest of my system.

tb-av
08-19-16, 09:03
Not sure why that would be a deal breaker, ..

Well, if all you wanted was that one thing, -maybe- not. But no one knows. For instance though, look at what works with Samsung Smartthings...
https://www.smartthings.com/compatible-products.

Here is what works with IFTTT
https://ifttt.com/channels

When someone brings an IoT product to market everyone with an existing setup or expanding setup is going to want it to integrate. To me it sounds like this product is something that works but they are hoping someone like Samsung will buy them up and integrate it.

CE magazine which is the industry mag for re sellers and installers just had an article that estimated this tech will take another 2 years to settle on standards.

Here is a similar cam that at least works with IFTTT and has night vision for about $125 per cam. Indoor/outdoor and also completely wireless.
http://www.arlo.com/en-us/?cid=q3_arlo_us_search&utm_source=paidsearch&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=q3_arlo_us_search_bing

WillBrink
08-19-16, 09:17
Very interesting to me but the vid is a little overly slick and a tad short on hard info. But enough for me to want to give it a try depending on price.

Prices are on the page. I got the two cams and sync module. Can be expanded to 10 cams it claims. Price for function, hard to go wrong.

Thanks, I've been looking for something like this.
I will read up on it, it looks like just the ticket to go along with the rest of my system.

Exactly. Wouldn't use as a stand alone security system, but a useful cost effective very easy to use adjunct.

Well, if all you wanted was that one thing, -maybe- not. But no one knows. For instance though, look at what works with Samsung Smartthings...
https://www.smartthings.com/compatible-products.

Here is what works with IFTTT
https://ifttt.com/channels

When someone brings an IoT product to market everyone with an existing setup or expanding setup is going to want it to integrate. To me it sounds like this product is something that works but they are hoping someone like Samsung will buy them up and integrate it.

CE magazine which is the industry mag for re sellers and installers just had an article that estimated this tech will take another 2 years to settle on standards.

Here is a similar cam that at least works with IFTTT and has night vision for about $125 per cam. Indoor/outdoor and also completely wireless.
http://www.arlo.com/en-us/?cid=q3_arlo_us_search&utm_source=paidsearch&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=q3_arlo_us_search_bing

I'm OK with that one thing considering costs. I mentioned the Arlo product above in several places as a likely superior similar concept, but more $ of course and can't vouch for ease of set up,, etc.

TAZ
08-19-16, 20:12
So it uses your WIFI network to send video to a third party who stores it and lets you view it. Who owns the data; you or the Blink guys? Granted its probably not intended for folks guarding banks or what not, but still some backup would be nice in case somenoe pulls the power or unlugs your service at the NID on your homes. Although, $200 for 3 cameras is not that bad to cover the impromptu burglar or maintenance guy or babysitter...

WillBrink
08-19-16, 20:31
So it uses your WIFI network to send video to a third party who stores it and lets you view it. Who owns the data; you or the Blink guys? Granted its probably not intended for folks guarding banks or what not, but still some backup would be nice in case somenoe pulls the power or unlugs your service at the NID on your homes. Although, $200 for 3 cameras is not that bad to cover the impromptu burglar or maintenance guy or babysitter...

I believe it's stored on their cloud server.

_Stormin_
08-20-16, 06:25
It's a neat little system, and stuff like this succeeding is only going to grow the market.

I'm not in love with their proprietary app. I would much rather have the cameras link to my server and let it record the video, with me simply accessing it whenever I feel the need to do so. I am probably very much in the minority on that one though... Most people have no desire to deal with that level of work, and for them this is a great product.

Ideal someone that doesn't want to have to hassle with a complicated set up and access process. It's the "complete upper" of the security system world. :-)

lahunter57
08-20-16, 12:00
I went ahead and purchased two to supplement my monitored alarm system. I have a medium sized apartment and this will allow me to check on things if I get an alert from my monitoring system.

I've been looking into cameras for a while and this seemed like a cheap and easy way to get in the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillBrink
08-20-16, 12:13
I went ahead and purchased two to supplement my monitored alarm system. I have a medium sized apartment and this will allow me to check on things if I get an alert from my monitoring system.

I've been looking into cameras for a while and this seemed like a cheap and easy way to get in the door.

Good deal. So far, I'm happy with them and plan to add 2-3 more cams in the future.

WillBrink
09-12-16, 13:35
Report. Now that I have had them a while, a follow up;

So far, pros far outweigh any cons discovered when you factor the $ compared to anything else similar. As part of a layered security system, thumbs up. Stand alone, no. Just ordered 3 more cams.

Only cons so far is, the transmitter should have a back up battery as the cams do. Someone cuts the power, or power goes out, no cams. Two, like a typical system, you should be able to "arm" cams individually vs all or none similar to a typical security system. Say you want cams at doors on, rest off while in the house sleeping. Can't do that. They are all on or off. So, when you leave the house, you arm them, and go.

Conclusion: an excellent cost effective edition to a layered system.

Honu
09-12-16, 14:11
can you put the base on a UPS setup so if power goes out you have battery for a while

WillBrink
09-12-16, 15:44
can you put the base on a UPS setup so if power goes out you have battery for a while

Ah, good idea! Yes, bet you could. It draws very little power so would not need a big UPS. I might do that. But, still a problem;

Transponder communicated with house modem to communicate with your phone, so cams would continue to work but don't think you'd get the alert to the phone. So I think that means UPS to modem needed also and cable signal not interrupted, but I have to track that down some more.

Honu
09-12-16, 16:57
yeah agree should be part of it :) I might be picking some of these up soon

as you said they seem to be a good price point balance of features :)

lahunter57
09-12-16, 19:51
Report. Now that I have had them a while, a follow up;

So far, pros far outweigh any cons discovered when you factor the $ compared to anything else similar. As part of a layered security system, thumbs up. Stand alone, no. Just ordered 3 more cams.

Only cons so far is, the transmitter should have a back up battery as the cams do. Someone cuts the power, or power goes out, no cams. Two, like a typical system, you should be able to "arm" cams individually vs all or none similar to a typical security system. Say you want cams at doors on, rest off while in the house sleeping. Can't do that. They are all on or off. So, when you leave the house, you arm them, and go.

Conclusion: an excellent cost effective edition to a layered system.

My findings are similar. With multiple layers i.e. lights, locks, monitored security system, and lastly the cameras; I believe this is an effective product. My two cameras have functioned flawlessly and I am looking to get another 2.

I have been wanting to get a UPS for my router, modem, and the camera base station so that I can have mostly uninterrupted Internet and security in the event of a power outage. That would make for a very effective system and would be approaching the limits of what I am able to do in my apartment as far as hardening and security goes.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-12-16, 20:36
My findings are similar. With multiple layers i.e. lights, locks, monitored security system, and lastly the cameras; I believe this is an effective product. My two cameras have functioned flawlessly and I am looking to get another 2.

I have been wanting to get a UPS for my router, modem, and the camera base station so that I can have mostly uninterrupted Internet and security in the event of a power outage. That would make for a very effective system and would be approaching the limits of what I am able to do in my apartment as far as hardening and security goes.

This looks like a decent cost effective solution if you just need indoor cameras but as far as I can tell no weather proof cameras correct? If not does anybody have a "next best" solution that is similar to this but has outdoor cameras. I need one for the front door, back door, and driveway in the back. Then maybe 1 or two inside.

I was looking at this one that seemed similar but has outdoor cameras.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017V66ZK4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Also looking at this one that allows you to record to a DVR device, although it's not wireless.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R3QL6RA/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AM1AKWRN957PC

Just found that Amcrest has wireless options also, plus you can use their software to record directly to your own hard drive.

https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/articles/220386027-Amcrest-Surveillance-Pro-How-to-Record-Video-on-PC-Mac
https://amcrest.com/wireless-security-cameras.html

WillBrink
09-13-16, 07:15

Guess that's another thing I'll have to get.

WillBrink
09-13-16, 07:18
This looks like a decent cost effective solution if you just need indoor cameras but as far as I can tell no weather proof cameras correct? If not does anybody have a "next best" solution that is similar to this but has outdoor cameras. I need one for the front door, back door, and driveway in the back. Then maybe 1 or two inside.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017V66ZK4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Also looking at this one that allows you to record to a DVR device, although it's not wireless.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R3QL6RA/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AM1AKWRN957PC

Just found that Amcrest has wireless options also, plus you can use their software to record directly to your own hard drive.

https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/articles/220386027-Amcrest-Surveillance-Pro-How-to-Record-Video-on-PC-Mac

Technically no, but people seem to use them as such without issue. Under an overhang where they are not directly getting rained on or direct sun, people report they work fine. I plan to put two outdoors looking at front and rear doors. There other systems outdoor rated linked in this thread, but you'll pay the $.

WillBrink
11-23-16, 12:06
Update. Above i said "Two, like a typical system, you should be able to "arm" cams individually vs all or none similar to a typical security system. Say you want cams at doors on, rest off while in the house sleeping. Can't do that. They are all on or off. So, when you leave the house, you arm them, and go."

I was wrong about that. Figured out how to arm/disarm specific cameras which was right under my dumb nose. Worked out well: I'm having the bathroom renovated and was able to leave on the cams in areas they have no reason to go, and turn off the cams they should be but I don't have to deal with getting alerts all day as they set off motion detectors. I do a live view on occasion to see how things are proceeding.

Anyone else?

lahunter57
11-23-16, 12:55
There was also a firmware update and 60s clips can now be recorded. I know a lot of people didn't like the 10s limit, and I'm happy to see that Blink is listening to its customers. I've been very happy with my cameras so far.

I just wish they would come out with a weatherproof outdoor camera.

WillBrink
11-23-16, 13:21
There was also a firmware update and 60s clips can now be recorded. I know a lot of people didn't like the 10s limit, and I'm happy to see that Blink is listening to its customers. I've been very happy with my cameras so far.

Just looked at mine and they will do 60 secs, so I must have updated firmware.

I just wish they would come out with a weatherproof outdoor camera.

Obviously, they will have to charge more and there are other companies making weather proof versions. However, as long as they are not directly rained on and such, seem to do just fine outside and people report extended time outside without issues. I have one pointing at my front door under and overhang so direct rain or sun does not hit it, and so far so good after months (since OP post)

Co-gnARR
11-23-16, 13:43
I mentioned the Arlo product above in several places as a likely superior similar concept, but more $ of course and can't vouch for ease of set up,, etc.

Not shilling for Arlo, but I can offer my experience setting up a two camera system. Download the app and make an account. Standard wifi router used as the base- plug in, connect to your network, GTG in a few minutes. The base Arlo camera runs on 4x CR123 batteries. Insert those and turn the cameras on while the hub starts up. Press the synch button on the hub, then on the first camera. This takes the longest of the the whole process (aside from actually mounting the camera and getting it 'just right'). Repeat for all cameras. Mount them, then fiddle with the angle, motion detection test and sensitivity. All this can adjusted from your mobile device at any time, and you can execute commands in real time if needed, ie, power on/off, review video library, activate real time recording. My two camera system took 15 minutes to get up and running, and the mounting took about an hour for one camera since I had some odd angles to work around. The other camera mounted in the amount of time it took to drill 3 pilot holes, screw the pod into the wall, and verify the angle was correct- 10 minutes tops.
The Arlo Pro has two way speakers and a 100dB alarm, plus it uses rechargable batteries. That is likely my next purchase as I expand my system.
Arlo Q/Q Pro are POE for indoor use only. You'll need to run cat5 cables to each camera, but other wise i think it is the same as the regular Arlo.
Regarding an earlier question about the system knowing when to arm, etc, Arlo lets you set up a schedule plus IFTTT instructions (record 10 seconds if motion detected, notify me if motion detected, etc) as well as geo-fencing. Geo fencing basically executes a set of IFTTT as mentioned above. Your phone can be the geo fence activator. So, if you walk up to the front door, Arlo should detect the device and execute its instructions, ie, arm when I am >1000ft away/disarm if <1000ft. I personlly have not used this feature so I can't make any claims to it's real world functionality.
Overall, the Arlo is a nice wireless indoor/outdoor system for anyone who wants a quick easy set up and a good intuitive UI. Some draw backs, like the night vision uses visible red LEDS, and windy days can bring a rash of false alerts, and cost of course, but without a high end big money pro system I think it covers my needs pretty well.

Honu
11-23-16, 17:38
hhahahahah great timing was just going to dig this thread up today as I want to get a door camera :)
also want to monitor the side yard and back
love this forum for its wide coverage of topics :)

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-23-16, 18:55

I really need external, so the Arlo looks interesting. The Amcrest looks even more capable, but not as friendly to set up. That speaker/mic on the Arlo looks interesting. Truly wiresless means I don't have to have them on the house. Might put one so that it looks at the house. Just worry about people stealing my security cameras....

ETA: reading the Arlo Pro forum, it looks like the batteries and cameras don't like the cold. Not ready for prime time.

RetroRevolver77
11-24-16, 00:40
This thread is a good reminder to get security cams.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-24-16, 23:36
Not shilling for Arlo, but I can offer my experience setting up a two camera system. Download the app and make an account. Standard wifi router used as the base- plug in, connect to your network, GTG in a few minutes. The base Arlo camera runs on 4x CR123 batteries. Insert those and turn the cameras on while the hub starts up. Press the synch button on the hub, then on the first camera. This takes the longest of the the whole process (aside from actually mounting the camera and getting it 'just right'). Repeat for all cameras. Mount them, then fiddle with the angle, motion detection test and sensitivity. All this can adjusted from your mobile device at any time, and you can execute commands in real time if needed, ie, power on/off, review video library, activate real time recording. My two camera system took 15 minutes to get up and running, and the mounting took about an hour for one camera since I had some odd angles to work around. The other camera mounted in the amount of time it took to drill 3 pilot holes, screw the pod into the wall, and verify the angle was correct- 10 minutes tops.
The Arlo Pro has two way speakers and a 100dB alarm, plus it uses rechargable batteries. That is likely my next purchase as I expand my system.
Arlo Q/Q Pro are POE for indoor use only. You'll need to run cat5 cables to each camera, but other wise i think it is the same as the regular Arlo.
Regarding an earlier question about the system knowing when to arm, etc, Arlo lets you set up a schedule plus IFTTT instructions (record 10 seconds if motion detected, notify me if motion detected, etc) as well as geo-fencing. Geo fencing basically executes a set of IFTTT as mentioned above. Your phone can be the geo fence activator. So, if you walk up to the front door, Arlo should detect the device and execute its instructions, ie, arm when I am >1000ft away/disarm if <1000ft. I personlly have not used this feature so I can't make any claims to it's real world functionality.
Overall, the Arlo is a nice wireless indoor/outdoor system for anyone who wants a quick easy set up and a good intuitive UI. Some draw backs, like the night vision uses visible red LEDS, and windy days can bring a rash of false alerts, and cost of course, but without a high end big money pro system I think it covers my needs pretty well.

How is the set up for when you are away from your house and want to get alerts and view images/video?

I'm looking at least a couple of pros. Any issues with what you have and battery life and connn connectivity?

Co-gnARR
11-25-16, 00:37
I'm about 3 weeks in and the batteries are ok. Not sure how they will degrade over time but will report back after the first change out. As of right now I am sitting in a hotel 200 miles from home and just checked the cameras. Everything is fine, no problems accessing the cameras or the cloud footage.
The only gripes I have at this point are the sensitivity to wind blown objects, and the visible LEDs when the cameras activate at night. So far, I have not captured any footage of would-be trouble makers creeping up at night and noticing the cameras, though.

WillBrink
11-25-16, 08:52
How is the set up for when you are away from your house and want to get alerts and view images/video?

I'm looking at least a couple of pros. Any issues with what you have and battery life and connn connectivity?

I can only vouch for the OP product, but they say battery life is good for a year (and you can check it via your phone for each cam) and connectivity has been excellent,

Co-gnARR
11-28-16, 04:20
Just bagged and tagged our first burglar. We happened to be awake when the motion detector alerted us around 0100. My wife looked at the app and saw a man in our back yard. He jumped the fence looked around. We set the cameras to live record and watched the POS as he forced entry to our shed. He was recorded pulling out two old tool bags with gardening equipment and misc. stuff (we don't keep high value things in the shed for this exact reason). The police arrived quickly and caught the guy before he moved to the neighbors' properties. The red handed apprehension is enough to nail him, but the officers were very happy to get video evidence to support the case. Tomorrow (well, after the sun comes up) I'm going to find a cheap USB drive to record the footage and submit that as evidence.

Honu
11-28-16, 06:03
WOW

glad he just hit the shed !! and was caught

WillBrink
11-28-16, 06:51
Just bagged and tagged our first burglar. We happened to be awake when the motion detector alerted us around 0100. My wife looked at the app and saw a man in our back yard. He jumped the fence looked around. We set the cameras to live record and watched the POS as he forced entry to our shed. He was recorded pulling out two old tool bags with gardening equipment and misc. stuff (we don't keep high value things in the shed for this exact reason). The police arrived quickly and caught the guy before he moved to the neighbors' properties. The red handed apprehension is enough to nail him, but the officers were very happy to get video evidence to support the case. Tomorrow (well, after the sun comes up) I'm going to find a cheap USB drive to record the footage and submit that as evidence.

Technology for the win! Handing them actual footage make it open and closed case.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-28-16, 11:25

Ok, they have them at the local Best Buy... quick question, can you set up alerts for multiple I-devices (or is it by account?)? Want alerts Sent to my wife's iPad, but that one is always home. Can it know each device so you can set up rules based on multiple individual devices?

Co-gnARR
12-04-16, 00:30
Ok, they have them at the local Best Buy... quick question, can you set up alerts for multiple I-devices (or is it by account?)? Want alerts Sent to my wife's iPad, but that one is always home. Can it know each device so you can set up rules based on multiple individual devices?

Sorry I missed this...I don't know the answer to your question. What you can do is choose whether a particular user recieves alerts via the notifications setting in iOS. Without digging through the user forums I don't have better info to offer on the Arlo app itself at this time.

lahunter57
12-05-16, 09:33
I just received an email from Blink, and they will be releasing their Outdoor cameras soon. They are available for preorder at the moment. Now I really have no reason to not love them, they are capable of everything I need.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-21-16, 01:47
Couldn't wait for the Blink. Way too much shenanigans going on in our neighborhood. Got the 4 pack of ARLO Pro. Have two outside right now. Wife went out for dinner and was impressed with the video it captured of her being dropped off.

What I like from a security standpoint is that since they are wireless, I can put them off my house and point back. That seems like a good use since mounting in the house leaves lots of blind spots. I can cover 95% of my house from two points, and the 5% with out direct view, you' have to walk right in front of the other one.

My wife was five feet from the one that got her and she didn't notice it. Not as cold as a few days ago, but I'm interested in seeing the battery life. Got a spare battery, but didn't realize it wasn't a charger too.

Got it at best buy, but they didn't have the camera koozies. I was actually thinking about making some fake bird houses for the back yard.

All four cameras sync'd with out an issue. They did need their firmware updated. Playing with the software now. Not understanding all the programming options- or really seeing how to get the exact set up I want. Need to get my wife signed up too.

Liking them so far. We'll see how they do tomorrow.

Mr. Goodtimes
12-21-16, 09:30
I won't buy a Blink simply because of the annoying emasculated metro sexual voice sounding hipster that does their radio commercials.

Honu
12-21-16, 10:01
great idea !!! about the bird houses
Couldn't wait for the Blink. Way too much shenanigans going on in our neighborhood. Got the 4 pack of ARLO Pro. Have two outside right now. Wife went out for dinner and was impressed with the video it captured of her being dropped off.

What I like from a security standpoint is that since they are wireless, I can put them off my house and point back. That seems like a good use since mounting in the house leaves lots of blind spots. I can cover 95% of my house from two points, and the 5% with out direct view, you' have to walk right in front of the other one.

My wife was five feet from the one that got her and she didn't notice it. Not as cold as a few days ago, but I'm interested in seeing the battery life. Got a spare battery, but didn't realize it wasn't a charger too.

Got it at best buy, but they didn't have the camera koozies. I was actually thinking about making some fake bird houses for the back yard.

All four cameras sync'd with out an issue. They did need their firmware updated. Playing with the software now. Not understanding all the programming options- or really seeing how to get the exact set up I want. Need to get my wife signed up too.

Liking them so far. We'll see how they do tomorrow.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-21-16, 10:28
great idea !!! about the bird houses

And I just saw that they are planning on having solar panels for the cameras. Just make the south facing roof a solar panel...

If the solar panels work, that could be a real benefit. It also shows that the USB port on there can be made to be weatherproof. I have some security lights that would make it interesting to see if I could something to direct power them.

Honu
12-21-16, 14:33
so arlo has a newer set now ? hmmmmm

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-21-16, 14:55
so arlo has a newer set now ? hmmmmm

I have the Arlo Pros, HD (720p) and exterior capable. I find their website to be heavy on style and lower on info. They have a pretty good community forum, but not the best organization. That solar panel thing just sort of came up, and I had a hard time finding it again.

Front camera caught a squirrel running right in front of it and a UPS guy delivering. It is a little slow to start recording. Looking on line it seems that the system is recording to the cloud, so it takes a couple of seconds to boot up and start recording.

Son likes it, he thinks its a lot like the cameras in RB6:Siege.

Honu
12-21-16, 15:55
thats funny I can see my 7 year old watching them all the time with his nerf guns in hand ;)

yeah I was using amazon and a some reddit to read about the dif cameras

I have the Arlo Pros, HD (720p) and exterior capable. I find their website to be heavy on style and lower on info. They have a pretty good community forum, but not the best organization. That solar panel thing just sort of came up, and I had a hard time finding it again.

Front camera caught a squirrel running right in front of it and a UPS guy delivering. It is a little slow to start recording. Looking on line it seems that the system is recording to the cloud, so it takes a couple of seconds to boot up and start recording.

Son likes it, he thinks its a lot like the cameras in RB6:Siege.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-25-16, 03:04
Mounted three of my four cameras outside. THe last one I have pointed down the hall towards the kids rooms to keep them in their holes until 730.

Wrap a basketball, how in the hell do you wrap a basketball?????

WillBrink
07-04-17, 09:56
FYI, they now have an outdoor cam and having a 4th of july sale:

https://blinkforhome.com/collections/outdoor-security-camera

m1a_scoutguy
07-05-17, 01:23
Hey Will,,good info for sure,dam I just saw this thread and was curious so started looking at it ! I guess I am a little late to this party,,LOL I have been looking at these http://www.defender-usa.com/defender-wireless-hd-1080p-4-channel-1tb-dvr-security-system-with-4-bullet-cameras these have a hard drive to save vids,seems like a good ideal. Price is a tad more than the blink setup depending on what you get. I will admit I am NOT a huge "phone" guy,,I hate them,,only have a cell for very minor things and most of this Tech is heavy on the smart phone app thing. I can do it but I like the ideal of the Defender setup ! You can access the Defender setup it with your phone also though. I'll do more looking into both for sure. What do you think about the Defender setup ? Thanks

WillBrink
07-05-17, 08:26
Hey Will,,good info for sure,dam I just saw this thread and was curious so started looking at it ! I guess I am a little late to this party,,LOL I have been looking at these http://www.defender-usa.com/defender-wireless-hd-1080p-4-channel-1tb-dvr-security-system-with-4-bullet-cameras these have a hard drive to save vids,seems like a good ideal. Price is a tad more than the blink setup depending on what you get. I will admit I am NOT a huge "phone" guy,,I hate them,,only have a cell for very minor things and most of this Tech is heavy on the smart phone app thing. I can do it but I like the ideal of the Defender setup ! You can access the Defender setup it with your phone also though. I'll do more looking into both for sure. What do you think about the Defender setup ? Thanks

Don't have any experience with them but for the $, looks like a great deal for under $500.

m1a_scoutguy
07-05-17, 10:32
Don't have any experience with them but for the $, looks like a great deal for under $500.

Yea I hear ya Will,I do see the benefit of the Blink system and watching Live & getting a notification if something happens. I know you can watch live with the Defender system also but not sure if you will get a notification if something trips/activates the system. One of my shooting buddies has had a defender system for several years and while @ the range one day he showed me live feeds on his phone,,so that is a "good" thing. I want something for the near future so will be looking @ both options. Thanks,,:)

WillBrink
07-05-17, 10:43
Yea I hear ya Will,I do see the benefit of the Blink system and watching Live & getting a notification if something happens. I know you can watch live with the Defender system also but not sure if you will get a notification if something trips/activates the system. One of my shooting buddies has had a defender system for several years and while @ the range one day he showed me live feeds on his phone,,so that is a "good" thing. I want something for the near future so will be looking @ both options. Thanks,,:)

They look intended for outdoor use. The blink cams are visually unobtrusive and I like to see what's going on inside my place also. Few even notice the blink cams in the house unless I point them out.

m1a_scoutguy
07-05-17, 11:03
They look intended for outdoor use. The blink cams are visually unobtrusive and I like to see what's going on inside my place also. Few even notice the blink cams in the house unless I point them out.

I agree with that for sure,,they are small (Blink) and you could tuck them in anyplace ! I'm sure the bigger cameras could go inside,,but yea they would/could look weird depending on how ya had them placed. My thoughts are outside is good and inside they would just go in critical areas like gun safe area and a couple others spots to double cover the main entrances & lower back/side window areas and such. Lots to think about and look up.

Whiskey_Bravo
07-05-17, 11:13
Not Blink but I finally installed 2 of my 4 cameras from Ubiquiti this past weekend. Love them so far. You can use their video recorder or use their free software and have it all saved to your own hard drive which is what I am doing. Set up was a little involved but it wasn't that bad. I have 4 of the G3 cameras. 1 for the back driveway, 1 for the back yard, and 2 will be for the front yard once I run the cat5 out there. I will probably put a couple inside the house at some point. They are powered over ethernet so you don't have to run power to the camera. They come with a power injector but I bought one of their switches that has PoE.

I am also using their wifi access points which are 1 million times better than your normal retail best buy stuff.

https://www.ubnt.com/products/#unifiVideo