PDA

View Full Version : Mid-range $$ AR15 with goodies installed. Cheaper to build or buy?

entoptics
08-18-16, 20:04
I'm curious to the forum's opinions on the best route to go for a "bang for the buck" AR.

Are there any companies out there that stand out for quality vs value on ready to go guns? It seems like buying a "basic" gun from S&W, Ruger, Rock River, etc, and then buying all the goodies get's expensive quick.

My personal criteria (based solely upon my experience with two RRA LAR-15s that shoot and run great)...

0) Good quality/reliability manufacturer with decent reputation. I'm not heading to Fallujah anytime soon, but it needs to be dead reliable in "normal" use.

1) FF key-mod or m-lok hand guard with low pro gas system (preferably mid-Length, but not a deal breaker) and folding BUIS.

2) Accurate and heat insensitive barrel (full profile, fluted, etc). I don't want a light barrel unless it's guaranteed to shoot well even when it's too hot to hold. I'm not talking about mag dumps and such, but certainly a couple of 30 round mags in a few minutes.

3) Crisp 2 stage trigger suitable for self defense (e.g. no 0.0001 lb match jobs).

5) Quality collapsible stock (RRA Operator, Magpul ACS, etc), grip (MOE, Ergo, BCM, etc) and controls (ambi safety, mag release, etc).

6) Quality muzzle brake

Anyway, to get the above starting with a "stock" rifle, you'd have to spend $700-$850 on a gun, then another $500-$600 on parts. Pitching a bunch of OEM parts into a drawer, and paying retail for the replacements just doesn't seem like it could compete with a manufacturer who builds guns for a living. Not to mention the chances of a reliability hiccup from of a factory gun vs a frankengun.

Thoughts?

556BlackRifle
08-18-16, 20:17
Here's a recent thread that may be of some help to you.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?187414-You-can-build-one-cheaper

If you use the search function it will find a bunch more. Good luck.

wigbones
08-18-16, 20:23
There's always the option of buying a complete upper which meets your requirements and then building the lower yourself with the individual parts you want.

entoptics
08-18-16, 20:34
I guess I wasn't entirely clear. I'm not looking for a "good budget rifle" like the 6920 thread linked above, and I'm capable of building my "perfect" rifle from scratch.

Instead, I'm curious what specific manufacturers, if any, make "custom" rifles that might cost less than a build but still be good quality. There's so many new vendors in the market these days, not to mention "old vendors" with updated product lines, that I wanted to get the opinions of the forum, since I obviously can't buy and test every rifle till I find the one that's cheap and good...

jsharp
08-18-16, 20:37
Up until a few weeks ago I was sure you could buy cheaper than you can build. But after looking at a few low end guns in stores recently I'm not so sure. The low end factory assembled guns are cheap all right but most all of them I've looked at have been crap. Low quality parts and assembly that's no where close to proper. After putting together a PSA rifle kit on a stripped Anderson lower this week I'd honestly trust it more than a low end Ruger, S&W, Bushmaster, etc. and that's not saying much. I can't say how it compares to the mid range guns though.

Price out the parts for exactly what you want then try to buy the same thing factory assembled. That will tell you all you need to know. If it's something really unique you'll probably want to build but if it's fairly standard a gun from one of the major manufacturers would likely suit you better. There's always something like the Colt OEM guns too. A gun made properly from quality parts that you can add what you want to without tossing a bunch of factory hardware.

Edit: You were explaining while I was writing my post. Sorry, I don't think I answered any of your questions...

MegademiC
08-18-16, 20:45
What's the intended purpose? A colt socom with aftermarket keymod/mlok would be good for SD and decent hot barrel accuracy.

An m4 stock is quality/durable.
A milspec trigger is certainly good enough for self defense.
A2 flash hider are good. Why do you need a brake?

masenomics
08-18-16, 20:56
Check out BCM rifles at bravocompanymfg.com

entoptics
08-18-16, 21:13
What's the intended purpose? A colt socom with aftermarket keymod/mlok would be good for SD and decent hot barrel accuracy.

An m4 stock is quality/durable.
A milspec trigger is certainly good enough for self defense.
A2 flash hider are good. Why do you need a brake?

The intended purpose is yet to be determined (unless "I want another AR15" counts as a purpose).:smile:

Surprisingly decent price on that Colt it looks like. I'm sure it's a fine rifle, but not what I'm after though. I really despise quad rails for the weight and girth. That gun also is covered in things that would be tossed, as they do not fit the criteria I mentioned in my OP.

Anyway, I want a "long" range and a "close" range AR for fun shooting, but for me to consider it fun, it also has to be a fine defensive weapon. I have one already that fills the bill wonderfully, but I'd like to have a second so I don't have to switch out optics and accessories to change it's behavior. Also, my RRA is getting a little worn for wear, and I want to get another to reduce the burden on it and ensure that if something breaks, I've still got an AR ready to go. A new AR could be either "long" or "close", depending on what happens the first time I put it on paper at 250 yds. Hence my criteria above.

Masenomics, I had a look at BCM and have seen some opinions on here that indicate they're pretty good. They seem a bit more expensive than a "build" though.

daniel87
08-18-16, 21:44
i know aero precision will customize your rifle if you lay the difference.

they just said if its on our web site we will.

i am looking at the 308nar from them.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

TJx
08-18-16, 22:03
I'm in the final stages of buying the last few parts to assemble an AR.
Your criteria for one is a little more specific than mine. My goal is something equivelant to a Colt LE6920 which I own and consider on the higher end of a mid-range M4.
I will say things added up pretty quick even with buying a complete upper. Mine will be mostly USGI configuration parts.
I'll be over $1100 when it's done with a Anderson lower, ALG ACT trigger, Daniel Defense rear sight, Magpul MOE furniture, Wolff springs, some Colt parts and a yet to be determined LPK with a BCM Standard 16" M4 (SOCOM) Upper Receiver Group with their BCG and charging handle.
When it's done I feel I will have a upper mid-range M4 for about what I paid for the Colt back before Sandy Hook and when Walmart had them in stock on a regular basis plus I will learn more about the platform even with buying the upper complete.
I will say whatever you do, do it soon.
For example, I finally decided to make the jump into buying reloading equipment and as much components as I could afford. In late June at the beginning of summer, finding a vendor with both the powder and primers I wanted in stock was a little tough and it took them a full week to get it out the door, a month later at summer's peak I had at least 2 choices of brands on the primer's and a powder I wanted and they shipped within a day or two.
Point being, my opinion was peak summer people were focusing their time and money on vacations vs buying gun shit, with summer ending and the kids back in school and the election coming they're gonna start thinking about making those pre-election purchases. Prices may not go up right away but availability on exactly what you want for your build may get spotty real quick.

Wake27
08-19-16, 01:25
Buy a full BCM and be done with it. They are the best value and their cheaper options are mid-range but come with the best of everything. You can't build one better and save money there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GH41
08-19-16, 06:22
Supplement your budget with a part time job for a few weeks and bite the bullet. SR15 and be done with it.

Benito
08-19-16, 08:11
BCM. Quality, value, tons of great configurations, innovation. The only things I could we wanting to change/add is muzzle device of your choice, adjustable gas block, maybe a trigger, and obviously BUIS/optic.

Averageman
08-19-16, 10:24
Anyway, I want a "long" range and a "close" range AR for fun shooting, but for me to consider it fun, it also has to be a fine defensive weapon. I have one already that fills the bill wonderfully, but I'd like to have a second so I don't have to switch out optics and accessories to change it's behavior. Also, my RRA is getting a little worn for wear, and I want to get another to reduce the burden on it and ensure that if something breaks, I've still got an AR ready to go. A new AR could be either "long" or "close", depending on what happens the first time I put it on paper at 250 yds. Hence my criteria above.
You know when I was wanting a Long Range and a Close Range AR, I went ahead and found a really nice upper at BCM cheaper than I could build one. Once I had the upper I took my time and found some nice optics. The lower came later and the entire time from concept to completion was like 4 1/2 months.
Taking your time and slowly finding exactly what you want a piece at a time seems to be the most efficient way for me to go about this. I can always put my new upper on a lower I already have for a test run, so there isn't a lot of reason to be in a hurry.

I've actually got one rather nice Frankenbuild on a older Spikes lower with a nice trigger and a Aim-Point Pro that I have considered buying a separate upper for, with the idea that I would have a 16 inch barrel and a 20 inch barrel for the same lower. It would certainly be more efficiently transported than two AR's.

I will say that there is one caveat to this, we are heading in to uncertain times and people are beginning to snap up some things now in the event our political atmosphere changes dramatically.

al800
08-19-16, 22:03
I just went through this myself. Consider picking up a complete upper that meets your specs and build out the lower yourself. You'll be able to get your contact points customized how you want, and there are plenty of suitable uppers from BCM, SOLGW and the like.

My upper from SOLGW came out at $700 with BCG and BCM CH, ALG rail. Lower was pieced together during the wait. All in a bit over $1k, not including the eotech.

I didn't see the need to change out the muzzle device, but YMMV.

You can customize to an extent on SOLGW's site. https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/collections/rifles