PDA

View Full Version : Colt OEM1 lower no keyhole stamp mark

HMsailor
08-19-16, 01:53
I was comparing my 2013 6920 Magpul against my 2015 OEM1 and noticed that the 2013 model had keyhole stamps on both upper and lower while the 2015 model OEM1 didn't have a keyhole stamp on the lower. now with the recent release of the m4 expanse which is a complete downgrade from the 6920, could the oem1/2 also be a downgrade regardless of furniture. 41041

danco
08-19-16, 09:39
Most likely, no. Just means the lower forging came from a different foundry...

JC5188
08-19-16, 09:52
I have a 6920 bought before the expanse existed and there is no Cerro mark on the lower iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssgjason
08-19-16, 09:59
Most older Colt lowers do not have the cerro mark

dsk
08-19-16, 12:53
Please excuse my ignorance... but could somebody show me what one of these keyhole/cerro marks is supposed to look like? I have a 2010 6920 and a new OEM1 and I don't see any difference in the lowers aside from the way they're rollmarked.

BTW this is exactly what I feared when Colt rolled out the Expanse. Now everybody's worried that Colt is going to cheapen up their ARs across the board.

556Cliff
08-19-16, 17:36
I just got a new stripped Colt "M4 CARBINE" marked lower from Specialized Armament and it doesn't have the key hole forge mark.

This is a pretty new production lower because it has the QR code as well.

JulyAZ
08-19-16, 17:45
Please excuse my ignorance... but could somebody show me what one of these keyhole/cerro marks is supposed to look like? I have a 2010 6920 and a new OEM1 and I don't see any difference in the lowers aside from the way they're rollmarked.

BTW this is exactly what I feared when Colt rolled out the Expanse. Now everybody's worried that Colt is going to cheapen up their ARs across the board.

Look above the forward assist in the picture there's a "C" and the next to it on the right is is the Keyhole mark. That's what is being referenced too.

Evil Black Rifle
08-19-16, 18:01
.... Now everybody's worried that Colt is going to cheapen up their ARs across the board.

I highly doubt that the sky is falling.

2011 6920 M4 Carbine, LE prefix serial number, Cerro forge marked upper, Cerro forge marked lower.

JG007
08-19-16, 20:23
I just got a new stripped Colt "M4 CARBINE" marked lower from Specialized Armament and it doesn't have the key hole forge mark.

This is a pretty new production lower because it has the QR code as well.

price?

556Cliff
08-19-16, 21:05
price?

The lower itself was $375.00

Shipping and insurance was $18.95

Transfer fee was $20.00

Washington state sales tax was $34.27

Total = $448.22

I could have got quite a few Anderson lowers for that. :cray:

JG007
08-19-16, 21:42
The lower itself was $375.00

Shipping and insurance was $18.95

Transfer fee was $20.00

Washington state sales tax was $34.27

Total = $448.22

I could have got quite a few Anderson lowers for that. :cray:

Or a complete OEM for $350+ more!

556Cliff
08-19-16, 22:19
Or a complete OEM for $350+ more!

Yep, I only needed the lower though... :happy:

If they had OEM 6720s I would have bought one of those instead.

dsk
08-19-16, 22:50
Yeah, but when entire cities burn to the ground and the undead start taking over the Colt lower will still be worth more money at resale. :D

Iraqgunz
08-20-16, 00:30
Most lowers have no Forge mark. I would spend my time more productively and worry about the assembly, etc...

dsk
08-20-16, 00:54
Look above the forward assist in the picture there's a "C" and the next to it on the right is is the Keyhole mark. That's what is being referenced too.

Thanks for pointing that out. My 2010 Sporter has the keyhole mark and a "C". My new OEM1 has a square symbol along with the "C".

midnightrider
12-13-16, 15:41
Most lowers have no Forge mark. I would spend my time more productively and worry about the assembly, etc...

I realize this thread has a little hair on it, but I just stumbled on it searching around-and I'm glad to see this. One less thing I have to think about.

My new (made in October) Colt AR-15A4 doesn't appear to have any forge mark at all on the lower receiver, unlike my other 6 or so Colts which all have the keyhole mark. I was beginning to wonder. Strangely though, it does have the F marked FSB.

I'm guessing Colt has more than one supplier for various parts and they must just grab whatever's handy that meets specs.

What I do know is that I'd forgotten how nicely a 20" barrel fixed stock rifle handles and come to shoulder.

HMsailor
12-13-16, 18:28
I realize this thread has a little hair on it, but I just stumbled on it searching around-and I'm glad to see this. One less thing I have to think about.

My new (made in October) Colt AR-15A4 doesn't appear to have any forge mark at all on the lower receiver, unlike my other 6 or so Colts which all have the keyhole mark. I was beginning to wonder. Strangely though, it does have the F marked FSB.

I'm guessing Colt has more than one supplier for various parts and they must just grab whatever's handy that meets specs.

What I do know is that I'd forgotten how nicely a 20" barrel fixed stock rifle handles and come to shoulder.
im even sure if this guy means all lowers in general or just colt lowers?

JNG3
12-14-16, 06:31
556Cliff wrote-

"I could have got quite a few Anderson lowers for that."

That is what I have a problem with. Look it's your money. blow it on what you want, be it guns, hookers, or blow. But for the life of me I cannot see why someone would rather have multiple Anderson lowers instead of 1 Colt lower. Buy the best you can afford, even if that means only 1 AR-15. Less problems, less parts breakage, less drama. People get wound up about parts. Well it's not just the parts that are important. It's QC, it's assembly, it's all the processes that are in place at Colt, BCM, LMT, Knights, etc that insure that the weapon leaves the facility in spec. Trust me, Anderson does not have the same level of QC. Pull all the needed parts from either Colt's or FN's (govt contracts ONLY!!!) assembly line and hand them to some schmuck that makes $10 an hour and you will likely get a POS. Sure every part may meet spec, but will Billy Bob Dolittle ensure that the rifle meets the rest of the TDP? Probably not.

As for forging marks, some lowers have them, some don't. No biggie.