PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on muzzle device

Jmanwit
08-19-16, 03:32
I have a 14.5 inch barrel that needs a permanently attached muzzle device.

I want to stick with something that is quality but may also be a suppressor host in the future. I would choose either a flash hider, a muzzle brake, or a compensator.

Also for consideration would be the quality of the suppressor that can mount on it. Ruggedness and durability of the suppressor would be nice, but sound suppression would take priority.

My main considerations are the Silencerco Trifecta, SureFire SOCOM Brake, and the BattleComp 51.0. What say you?

Vegasshooter
08-19-16, 03:41
I personally have experience with the Battlecomp and the Surefire. The Battlecomp is a decent flash hider, and a moderately decent brake. It's not fantastic, but it also is not nearly as loud. The Surefire is a great brake/comp. it's dual chamber design works fantastic. That said, nothing's free. It is obnoxiously loud. It works better as a brake than the BC, but that comes at a price.

If you're working in a team, on a stick doing an entry, anywhere where guys around you are working in close proximity, the brakes are a bad idea. That said, if you're running ear pro, or cans, that can be mitigated.

On my "game" gun I run a game brake, the precision armament. It's incredible. On my work gun, I'd never run it.

MegademiC
08-19-16, 05:16
What the purpose of the gun?

WS6
08-19-16, 05:43
I chose a SF CT Warcomp.

Grip
08-19-16, 07:29
I have had no issues with battle comps. I am using a silencerco trifecta brake now because i have a saker 556 suppressor.

wigbones
08-19-16, 07:59
I'm using the silencerco mounts. Very solid with absolutely no issues. The specwar can has been great thus far also.

Jwknutson17
08-19-16, 08:26
The KAC MAMS never disappoints. Plus, then your forced to buy a quality suppressor. That's the route I would take.

larryp
08-19-16, 10:19
I like the BCM Gunfighter comp. I have the standard Mod 0 on my 16" and it works great at reducing felt recoil and muzzle rise. Same external dimensions as a A2 flash hider so a suppressor can fit over it. The Mod 1 is for the 14.5" barrels.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFIGHTER-Compensator-MOD-1-5-56-p/bcm-gfc-mod-1-556.htm

ExplorinInTheWoods
08-19-16, 12:57
I have 3 surefire socom brakes, one on a 14.5 that was my first, one on my 3 gun rifle and one on a colt 901 .308, they're awesome at reducing recoil and muzzle flip. They're a little loud but whenever I get a surefire can that problem will go away. I have also shot the 556 and 762 surefire warcomps and they're great I'm waiting on two for my other builds but they're backordered.

Jmanwit
08-19-16, 13:16
Purpose of the rifle? General defensive use. Potentially with teams.

I was hesitant to utilize the WarComp because I hear it favors right-handed shooters, and I'm a lefty.

How obnoxious is the Silencerco brake?

KAC rarely disappoints with anything.

daniel87
08-19-16, 13:23
buy whatever works for the suppressor you would want

if your in the us and non leo you are going to be permanently mounting the device.

pick a silencer then buy either a break or fh

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Biggy
08-19-16, 13:32
Here are some more options.

B.E. MEYERS 249-SAKER (249S) FLASH HIDER, 5.56
B.E. MEYERS 556-ASR FLASH HIDER (249 OMEGA)

I flirted with getting into suppressors on my 5.56 carbines for awhile , but decided against it. On sniper type rifles of any caliber, yes, but on 5.56 carbines, not for me.
For non suppressed muzzle devices, I like the following.

https://precisionarmament.com/product/afab-flash-hider-compensator/
https://precisionarmament.com/product/efab-hybrid-muzzle-brake/

Blstr88
08-19-16, 13:41
Are there any suppressors that mount directly to an A2 FH? Seems a lot of them require proprietary FH/brake...? Thats why I always shied away from a 14.5" setup, 16" is hardly any longer but allows flexibility of swapping out muzzle devices at will.

Jmanwit
08-19-16, 13:52
Several do, the Gemtech Halo springs to mind.

I can agree it doesn't seem like much, but 14.5" certainly felt different to maneuver than 16".

Jmanwit
08-20-16, 01:03
Having just read the "New WarComp" thread, I decided that the Closed-Tine WarComp is perfect for my needs as a lefty.

ExplorinInTheWoods
08-20-16, 05:27
The warcomp can be timed for lefties

WS6
08-20-16, 05:34
The warcomp can be timed for lefties

And then when you shoot support side?

Righter13
08-20-16, 06:34
Are there any suppressors that mount directly to an A2 FH? Seems a lot of them require proprietary FH/brake...? Thats why I always shied away from a 14.5" setup, 16" is hardly any longer but allows flexibility of swapping out muzzle devices at will. griffin armament has some that do too.

Ryno12
08-20-16, 07:35
Are there any suppressors that mount directly to an A2 FH? Seems a lot of them require proprietary FH/brake...? Thats why I always shied away from a 14.5" setup, 16" is hardly any longer but allows flexibility of swapping out muzzle devices at will.

5.56 cans
GA M4SDII (http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/5-56mm-rifle/griffin-armament-m4sd-ii.html?)

GA M4SDK (http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/5-56mm-rifle/griffin-armament-m4sdk.html?)

GA M4SD (http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/5-56mm-rifle/griffin-armament-m4sd.html)

Gemtech Halo (http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/5-56mm-rifle/gemtech-halo-gmt.html?)

.30 cans
GA 30SD (http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/7-62mm-rifle/griffin-armament-30-sd.html)

GA Optimus (http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/7-62mm-rifle/griffin-armament-optimus.html?)

There's more, I just pulled these off the top of my head.

MegademiC
08-20-16, 07:46
Will those work with an extended a2?

Jmanwit
08-20-16, 10:12

Ding ding ding we have a winner

Ryno12
08-20-16, 13:22

I can't speak for the Halo but the GA cans do not work with the A2X.

ColtSeavers
08-20-16, 15:49
Having just read the "New WarComp" thread, I decided that the Closed-Tine WarComp is perfect for my needs as a lefty.

Glad you've found something that fits what you're looking for.

Be aware that the new close tined warcomps are still a ways off from full fledged public release/sale at the moment. Though, if you're waiting on a stanp anyway, I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Jmanwit
08-20-16, 16:45
Glad you've found something that fits what you're looking for.

Be aware that the new close tined warcomps are still a ways off from full fledged public release/sale at the moment. Though, if you're waiting on a stanp anyway, I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Well, I'm not waiting on a stamp, just preparing for a time when I do. I can still wait because I'm joining the army and gonna be without the rifle at all for weeks.

MistWolf
08-20-16, 18:15
It doesn't do any good to get a new muzzle device until you get the suppressor

ExplorinInTheWoods
08-21-16, 16:52

How often do you truly shoot support side? Tighten up your grip and deal with it for the couple of shots. There is no such thing as the end all be all.

eodinert
08-22-16, 07:36
The cost of gucci muzzle attachment and pin and weld is right at or over the cost of a tax stamp.

Tax stamp.

ColtSeavers
08-22-16, 10:04
Well, I'm not waiting on a stamp, just preparing for a time when I do. I can still wait because I'm joining the army and gonna be without the rifle at all for weeks.

Congratulations on joining the ARMY.

ExplorinInTheWoods
08-22-16, 21:21

Hopefully you're heading down to Benning

Jim D
08-22-16, 21:57
How often do you truly shoot support side? Tighten up your grip and deal with it for the couple of shots. There is no such thing as the end all be all.

^The real winner is this one.

Catering your gear to the 1% shooting situations is how people justified single point slings for years.

Caeser25
08-23-16, 21:22

This is something OP needs to really look into.

I don't think the extended A2, Battle comp, and BCM will work with ANY suppressor.

Griffin's Flashcomp might work with their M4SD series.

I think the PWS TRIAD works with the HALO. They used to make a FSC NT4 mount. They also used to make a FSC mount that works with YHM Phantoms, good luck trying to find one.

The rest are going to be dedicated mounts for dedicated cans for Surefire, KAC, AAC, YHM, Silencerco etc.

firefighter37
08-24-16, 16:21
Personally, I would skip 14.5" until you decide what suppressor you are going to run. 16" with an A2 is versatile. When you decide what can you want, then get your 14.5" barrel and pin the required muzzle device on it.
If today you decide you might want a SilencerCo suppressor in the future, and get a proprietary brake/flash installed (pinned), it will be a pain in the ass when you change your mind, and decide you really want SureFire suppressor. Not to mention wasted money.
All my stuff sport A2s, unless they are suppressed, then they sport the suppressed mount required by the can that I have.

I have never owned a 14.5" that needs to be pinned. The disadvantages out weigh the advantages over the 16" barrel.

1.5" only matters to my wife.

titsonritz
08-24-16, 16:25
Personally, I would skip 14.5" until you decide what suppressor you are going to run. 16" with an A2 is versatile. When you decide what can you want, then get your 14.5" barrel and pin the required muzzle device on it.
If today you decide you might want a SilencerCo suppressor in the future, and get a proprietary brake/flash installed (pinned), it will be a pain in the ass when you change your mind, and decide you really want SureFire suppressor. Not to mention wasted money.
All my stuff sport A2s, unless they are suppressed, then they sport the suppressed mount required by the can that I have.

I have never owned a 14.5" that needs to be pinned. The disadvantages out weigh the advantages over the 16" barrel.

Bingo. And it less than an 1.5" when all is said and done.

rapomstage3
08-24-16, 19:55
Find a few friends who have a variety of comps and brakes. Don't get wrapped up in the suppressor you may buy 5 years from now. I like flash hiders. Comps are too loud to shoot next to other people. Bcm mod 1 comp is a good middle ground. I like the a2x or a three prong flash hider. Kill recoil with an a-5. Btw I've used a considerable amount of different comps and am speaking from experience. Lots of $ down the toilet. A-5 is better than all of them. My two cents.

sbrown3
08-24-16, 22:00
I'll also say muzzle brakes are not worth the money. Way too much blast for only a small advantage in the recoil department. Unless you're doing 3 gun, use an A2 or a flash hider.

Springfield
08-25-16, 02:55

Firefighter is on to something. First priority is deciding what silencer you want because that will guide you as to what type of muzzle device you will need. If I were you and wanted to get a sub 16'' barrel with a pinned and welded muzzle device but had no idea what type of suppressor I was going to buy I would probably pick the cheapest A2 style I could and then have it ground off and replaced with the proper mount when I figured out what can I was going to buy.

Others may differ but I will never run a comp on a fighting rifle unless I intend to use it suppressed nearly 100% of the time. In my humble opinion comps are for game guns and the noise to follow up shot speed ratio doesn't make it worth it when I likely won't have any ear pro on. My work rifle is a 11.5'' with an A2 and that thing is ear splitting enough without throwing a comp on it.

joeyjoe
08-25-16, 09:20
Im a big fan of 14.5 pinned/welded rigs. That said, I agree that many of the comps out there simply produce too much blast to be considered acceptable on a rifle used for defensive purposes. I use either the A2X or the BCM mod 1 comp on all 14.5 uppers. The A2X is a fine device; when in doubt, i say pin the A2X. As rapomstage mentioned, the BCM mod 1 is a legit middle ground comp. So many comps claim to be mild in the concussion department, yet so few actually are. The BCM comp is not particularly aggressive. There is more lateral movement w that comp, but you get something in exchange for that lateral movement and that is manageable blast.