PDA

View Full Version : Dog Help

CPM
08-19-16, 12:22
Community,

Two days ago I discovered what I thought was a lump in my 8 year old Golden Retriever's neck. Luckily, I had an appointment this morning to get all of their teeth cleaned so I thought it would be a perfect time to remove the lump as he's gotten benign lumps places before. Well, 10 seconds after being examined by the Vet she said, "He's got lymphoma. It's in all but one or two lymph nodes." I asked her what that means as I am a retarded grunt, and she replied with, "It's the worst of the worst." and "If he were a human, I'd advise him to take that trip to Australia he's always wanted, etc...". So we took a blood panel and all organs look great, just his lymph nodes are screwed up. Everything else is in the green. He's perfectly fine in every other way, active, eating, etc...

So, I have had dogs my whole life, but this was the first dog I ever got for myself- when I returned from Iraq in 2009-2010. He's kept me alive through some pretty tough times. He's had both rear knees fixed through TPLO surgery. The guy's been through a lot. So what do I do now? Is it really cancer? He's on a raw diet, is raw chicken causing this? Has anyone dealt with this before? Why am I being such a pussy? I'm 6'5 and 300 lbs and I have never been so heartbroken in my life.

The doctor said 6 months at best. How do I know when? What the **** am I doing?

Averageman
08-19-16, 12:31
Community,

Two days ago I discovered what I thought was a lump in my 8 year old Golden Retriever's neck. Luckily, I had an appointment this morning to get all of their teeth cleaned so I thought it would be a perfect time to remove the lump as he's gotten benign lumps places before. Well, 10 seconds after being examined by the Vet she said, "He's got lymphoma. It's in all but one or two lymph nodes." I asked her what that means as I am a retarded grunt, and she replied with, "It's the worst of the worst." and "If he were a human, I'd advise him to take that trip to Australia he's always wanted, etc...". So we took a blood panel and all organs look great, just his lymph nodes are screwed up. Everything else is in the green. He's perfectly fine in every other way, active, eating, etc...

So, I have had dogs my whole life, but this was the first dog I ever got for myself- when I returned from Iraq in 2009-2010. He's kept me alive through some pretty tough times. He's had both rear knees fixed through TPLO surgery. The guy's been through a lot. So what do I do now? Is it really cancer? He's on a raw diet, is raw chicken causing this? Has anyone dealt with this before? Why am I being such a pussy? I'm 6'5 and 300 lbs and I have never been so heartbroken in my life.

I've never heard of this being attributed to a Raw Diet, that's exactly what I feed my Dog, raw chicken. Necks, hearts, gizzards and livers and she seems healthier and more active than she did on dry food.
Dogs have enriched my life, but over the years I've learned that a dogs life, is likely in human terms to be a short life. It's hard, but they go and if they get to the point where they aren't happy or healthy, it's your duty to ease them out and relieve the pain they suffer.
Honestly, I would get a second opinion before taking any further actions.
I feel for you brother.

BIGUGLY
08-19-16, 12:46
Get a second opinion and if your still in that sinking boat, spend time with your friend and when they start to suffer its time to put your friend down. That diet has nothing to do with it. Some breeds are susceptible to cancers it seems. I hope that doesn't sound as cold as it seems. I have been more attached to the dogs in my life than a lot of people. I'm the same size as you and been an officer for 11 years but I will break down and cry like a baby when I have had to put my best friends to rest. It will be hard and it will hurt. If it goes that route then I would either have a friend do it or the vet. I could never bring myself to actually put down my dogs. I was fortunate enough that my father in law has helped with this as he raised and trained dogs all his adult life.

After death I have had friends that cremated their pets or just bury them. I have always buried mine with the other hunting dogs at the family farm, and I always kept their collars in my work room with my work and hunting gear.

CPM
08-19-16, 13:03
That's what I'm thinking. I can't begin to describe how alone I felt when I ETS'd. It was right after my deployment. He's been there every step of the way, just waiting to hear his name called and bring me a ball, or just have his head pat.

Just the fact that I'm typing this on the internet makes me feel like an idiot.

HeruMew
08-19-16, 13:06
First and foremost, I give the best of wishes to you and your companion, I hope a second opinion holds hope, regardless, none of that can be a decent experience.

I have a strong emotion in regards to my dog. I have contemplated the day I may have to "take-er-out-back" and it's just haunting for me. While not in the literal sense of what ol'timers used to do, I would have a very hard time letting anyone but me put her down somewhere other than our favorite hang-out rabbit hunting spot.

Maybe I have put far to much contemplation into that day, but I know it will come. One day.

Nonetheless, it's brought tears to my eyes simply through contemplation; while I can't say I understand (I've mentioned before that being a youngin hasn't afforded me the experiences yet) I can say I feel for yah. Hang in there, remember what your relationship with him stood for, and all the good that came out of it. Remember that, it's apparent with their diet and your emotions, that this was as much a family member as he was your pet, and it sounds like you've given him the best life to your ability (which is better than what most pet owners can say).

While these thoughts aren't going to make it easier, hopefully you'll find some laughs, cries, and most importantly Hope; when you're ready, a future companion can be had, and another great life of experiences can be made with another.

Enjoy the time with your friend, even if limited, it's clear how much you value that, and I commend you for that.

Watrdawg
08-19-16, 13:14
If it is just in the lymph node it may be treatable. Dogs take pretty well to chemo. I would definitely get a 2nd opinion and inquire about chemo. I'm a member on a retriever forum and one of the other members had a Golden with the same thing. His dog went through chemo and it is looking like the dog will be fine now. This may not apply directly to your dogs situation but I would explore that option. Is there a Vet school fairly nearby? If so get a referral to it and have them take a look. It's going to be expensive though.

CPM
08-19-16, 13:23
If it is just in the lymph node it may be treatable. Dogs take pretty well to chemo. I would definitely get a 2nd opinion and inquire about chemo. I'm a member on a retriever forum and one of the other members had a Golden with the same thing. His dog went through chemo and it is looking like the dog will be fine now. This may not apply directly to your dogs situation but I would explore that option. Is there a Vet school fairly nearby? If so get a referral to it and have them take a look. It's going to be expensive though.

Yeah, that's what I am worried about- chemo. I don't know if the pain is worth the relatively short (12 month) life extension. He's completely normal right now, it's so hard to believe.

Hootiewho
08-19-16, 13:31
Community,

Brother, if you only knew how similar your story is to mine. Not deployed or anything, but the last few years have been about as screwed up as they come. I don't think I would be here now if not for having my dog. As if things couldn't get worse, I lost him about a month ago to inoperable adrenal tumor that ruptured. I know exactly how you feel.

My advice, get a 2nd opinion. Especially if there is a university vet hospital near you. Enjoy every moment you can with him. The hardest thing is be honest with yourself when he starts to go downhill. Don't let him suffer. I was the last thing my pup saw. That fact is hard to swallow.

We knew we were going to loose him. I basically made the last few months of his life a bucket list and took him to do everything he ever loved doing. I would give all I have to have him back. He got to where he couldn't walk far so I got him a buggy so he could go do the things he loved.

Bear on a trip to Charleston SC
https://imgur.com/911TB1Z
https://imgur.com/911TB1Z

CRAMBONE
08-19-16, 13:52
First I would get a second opinion. If the second opinion is the same result and the pup doesn't have any see able pain let him live. I wouldn't rush to put him down. Dogs have a huge impact on our lives. I still miss my dog from my childhood. She died 15 or so years ago. And I still miss that dog. If this dog has had this huge impact on your life can you imagine what the next dog will be like.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-19-16, 14:11
Community,

We feed both of ours raw as well, it's not the diet. As others have said get a second opinion and if it's confirmed just focus on your dogs comfort. Spend time with him and when it's time have him put down so he doesn't suffer. We had to put our female shepherd down about 2 years ago and it was terrible but she was in pain and her organs were failing. There are services that will come to your home to do it so your dog doesn't have to go through the trauma of going to the vet.

GH41
08-19-16, 15:24
I second getting the vet to do it at your house. Also not letting him suffer. The hardest part of it all is overcoming the thought that somehow you did something wrong. You did nothing wrong. You gave him a life many dogs didn't get. I am sure he would thank you if he could.

Watrdawg
08-19-16, 15:32
I had my last 2 dogs and a cat put to sleep at home. My Vet is just down the road from me which makes things easy. I had to put to sleep a big Russian Blue cat 3 months ago and it was not a good day at all. He had kidney cancer. He was only 4yrs old. I've never been into cats too much but this guy was as cool as they come. This is him laying down in front of my son. Regardless if your Vet can come to your house it will make things a million times better for your dog.

BoringGuy45
08-19-16, 15:41
I grew up with golden retrievers. The only downside to them is that they don't live very long (usually only about 10-12 years) and they are especially prone to cancer; we lost our first golden to lymphoma.

I'd say if there's nothing that can be done, just enjoy the time with him until it's clear that he's in pain. However, don't jump the gun; my aunt's dog was diagnosed with cancer and given only months to live about 3 years ago; the dog lived, and with very little pain, until last month.

I feel your pain man. My pets are like my kids and it never gets easier when you have to say goodbye to one.

BuzzinSATX
08-19-16, 16:15
CPM,

Nothing to add that hasn't already been addressed. I agree with the second opinion, and I'd hate to hear the same thing about my dog...

All my best to you and your friend!

Whiskey_Bravo
08-19-16, 16:39
CPM,

Just sent you a PM.

Sensei
08-19-16, 16:40
If the diagnosis is correct, lymphoma is indeed a form of cancer. Specifically, it is a cancer of the lymphatic system which is closely related to blood cancers such as leukemia (advanced lymphoma very often behaves similar to leukemia). The prognosis depends on the type of lymphoma.

My recommendation is that you confirm the diagnosis with a biopsy of a lymph node (routine blood work is not a confirmation). Once this is done, the vet can be sure that it is indeed lymphoma, advise you on treatment options, give you some perspective of costs, and shed some light on a prognosis.

The fact that the vet announced lymphoma without a tissue biopsy seems odd to me. The are other cancers and non-cancerous conditions that can present with lump in humans. I'd be surprised if dogs are much different.

Wake27
08-19-16, 16:42
There's a reason they're known as man's best friend. I would go through things for my dogs that I wouldn't do for any human outside of my family and one best friend. Hopefully a second opinion comes back much more positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Bravo
08-19-16, 16:43
The fact that the vet announced lymphoma without a tissue biopsy seems odd to me. The are other cancers and non-cancerous conditions that can present with lump in humans. I'd be surprised if dogs are much different.

I would agree with this as well. Seems a little odd. Make sure to get a second opinion.

Hmac
08-19-16, 16:43
There has never been a time over the last 30 years when we didn't have three Golden Retrievers as part of our family. I know your fear and pain.

Indeed, get a second opinion. Goldens, like most working dogs, are prone to both lipomas and mast cell tumors. Take him to one of the veterinary schools in Texas. Texas A&M is one of the best in the country. Many types of lymphoma are highly treatable, but you need to know more about these tumors.

SteyrAUG
08-19-16, 16:45

This is your buddy, you do what's best for him.

I once sold a M10 to have a similar lump removed from my dogs neck when I discovered it. My GSD was 12 at the time but I didn't care. One SMG gone and I got two more years. If no treatments are available, it becomes daily evaluation.

My dog went from a healthy planned diet to grilled hamburgers every day when she stopped eating regular dog food. I'd grill a dozen at a time and then just microwave them each day. When she stopped eating and drinking almost completely I did subcutaneous IVs.

I gave her as many "good days" as she had left in her. Lots of drives around the air park with her head hanging out the window. But when it started to look like the good days were gone, when she didn't want to get up anymore or do anything, I did right by my buddy and eased her out.

I had a fantastic vet who would take care of final matters at your home. So she got to be in familiar surroundings, as comfortable as she could be on her dog bed and I held her as she slipped away.

It sucked, everything about it sucked, but it wasn't about me. It was about taking care of a buddy as best I could.

SteyrAUG
08-19-16, 16:45
I would agree with this as well. Seems a little odd. Make sure to get a second opinion.

Yeah, make sure you know exactly what you have on your hands.

Coal Dragger
08-19-16, 16:57
^ That is how it is done.

Do what is right by your pup. Get a second opinion and go from there. If it can be treated and you can swing it, then do it. If not make sure your buddy has as many good days as possible.
I went though this with my last dog, and waited too long to help her to the other side. I regret that.

I also waited too long to let another dog into our lives, when you feel ready make sure another dog has a chance to have as good a life as you gave your buddy. The new GSD is patiently lying under my office desk on her dog bed, waiting on me to do something fun or to give her a good pat on the head...which I just did.

Averageman
08-19-16, 17:21
I have to tell you, i put down my dog just a couple of weeks before my Son moved out. He left his Dog with me as he went to college and that helped get me through putting my Suzy dog down.
I know it hurts and you're dealing with a lot of questions but I would get that second opinion right away.
It may be a raw nerve right now, but you might consider getting a pup now and letting the two dogs interact and build a bond in case you lose this one. That might sound kind of cold, but it may work out better than you might guess.
Either way, I wish you the best and I know the pain.

Coal Dragger
08-19-16, 17:30
A new pup will also benefit from the socialization he/she will get with the old dog before they pass on to the happy hunting grounds if it happens.

Joe R.
08-19-16, 18:30
CPM you have my sympathy. I just went through this with my 10 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback early this year. Found a lump in his neck just around new years and put him down in April. As others have said as long as he got quality of life you should keep him comfortable and show him love. Once he starts to suffer it's time to let him go. I've seen what chemo does to people. Not sure I'd do it to myself and I certainly wouldn't put my dog through it just to keep him around to make myself feel better. That's just my opinion.

I've had to do this a few times through the years and it is always difficult. They become part of your life in such huge way. Keep him happy and comfortable.

Bulletdog
08-19-16, 18:37
My 14.5 year old Jack Russel is sitting right next to me as I type this. My wife took her to the vet 2.5 years ago and an Xray revealed a big tumor growing next to her heart. The vet offered to put her down right then and there. She told me that and I asked, "Why would he want to put her down now? She's fine. Bring her home and we'll just enjoy her company as long as we can." She is eager to eat twice a day, wants to come to the ranch with me every day, and just two days ago she killed another of those garden destroying ground squirrels for me. She coughs from time to time, but still appears to be loving life and enjoying being a dog. We keep a close eye on her, but all signs point to waiting for "that day". Its not time yet.

CPM, the point of my rambling is to just enjoy your dog and give him the best life possible. Dogs have been my livelihood for the last 25 years and I've worked with a lot of them. Putting them down never gets easier, but vet estimates are wrong more often than not. Get that second opinion, get a correct diagnosis, treat it if you can, but above all, just enjoy whatever time you have left and realize that it might be a month, or it might be 3 more years. We don't get to keep them forever, so we better enjoy the time we get with them.

jmoore
08-19-16, 19:54
Haven't read through the whole thread, so maybe this has been mentioned.

Get 2nd opinion with biopsy to find out if it is T-cell or B-cell lymphoma. Hope for B. Many dogs can get impressive remissions with chemo. Chemo in dogs is NOT as bad as it is in humans!!!!!!!!!
Vet school within driving distance? See their oncology guy pronto.

Good luck my friend - to both of you.

John (married to an excellent veterinarian, so I trust her suggestions.)

Hootiewho
08-19-16, 21:00
Also wanted to add, dogs are extremely resiliant creatures. They are tough to the core. To tie into the dog/love thread I believe they can fight incredible odds to stay here with their human friends. We had 3 different internal medicine specialist vets give us 30 days to live with our cocker. He live 2 1/2 more months. He had 2 adrenal tumors the size of grapefruits that had grown into his vena cava.

Many times old school vets will do what your vet did and just give a diagnosis from feeling a lump. I believe this comes from most folks not being willing to spend thousands on medical care for their dogs.

I will also add, if you know your dog well he will tell you when he has had enough. My Boy fought a damn good fight.

Also, you can read these comments and bet the farm on the character of the men posting here. It makes me feel good to be in company of these guys because there is no shortage of dirtbags out there who mistreat dogs/animals. That is just one of my biggest hang ups. If a man can be cruel to a dog, he can be cruel to anyone or anything.

brushy bill
08-19-16, 22:32
Hope it is not necessary, but if you do have to have your dog put down, I'll offer one piece of advice. Make sure you research the vet thoroughly (I'd start now just in case). My black lab developed cancer at 8 and I had to have him put down. He'd developed cancer in a foot several years earlier and we had the portion of the foot removed. He got around fine and we were told he was cancer free during follow up tests. Wife called me at work one day and said he wouldn't get up and wasn't eating. Immediately got him to vet and he was well progressed with cancer and vet said nothing they could do. I gave him a couple of days to make sure, but he was clearly too far gone. We'd moved with the military and thought we were going to a good quality vet. Maybe we were, but our dog choked and gagged and did not go quietly into the night following the injection. I was holding his head and watching this. Broke me up. I'd sent my best friend down in a terrible way. Vet said, "sorry, this doesn't typically happen." Ever since, I have always suspected they tried to skimp on the meds. You don't want that memory.

SeriousStudent
08-19-16, 22:40
I do wish you and your dog the best of luck.

I will second what Hmac said about the Aggie vets, they are the best. It's the bar I set for where I take my dogs.

If you wish, shoot me a PM regarding your location. I have a couple of great vets here, and they may be willing to give some advice on referrals. The one I take my dog to is an awesome diagnostician, he's terrific.

jmoore
08-19-16, 22:43
And listen to your dog - he will tell you when.
Far better a week early than a day late!

Peace.

john

jpmuscle
08-20-16, 01:41
OP,

I'm sorry to read of your situation, seriously man it breaks my heart. I had to put down my pup named bear ( Rotty and golden mix) 8 years ago due to cancer and do to general life experiences and moving around getting another companion just hasn't been feasible.

I'll echo what others have said regarding a second opinion. But, whatever the outcome if it comes down to letting your friend go make sure your the one there with him when it's time, you owe him atleast that much. When Bear's time came I almost couldn't bring myself to be the one to take him to the vet. I was literally devastated over the whole thing but I knew I would never be able to forgive myself If hadn't been there with him. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do...

Hootiewho
08-20-16, 04:40
Hope it is not necessary, but if you do have to have your dog put down, I'll offer one piece of advice. Make sure you research the vet thoroughly (I'd start now just in case). My black lab developed cancer at 8 and I had to have him put down. He'd developed cancer in a foot several years earlier and we had the portion of the foot removed. He got around fine and we were told he was cancer free during follow up tests. Wife called me at work one day and said he wouldn't get up and wasn't eating. Immediately got him to vet and he was well progressed with cancer and vet said nothing they could do. I gave him a couple of days to make sure, but he was clearly too far gone. We'd moved with the military and thought we were going to a good quality vet. Maybe we were, but our dog choked and gagged and did not go quietly into the night following the injection. I was holding his head and watching this. Broke me up. I'd sent my best friend down in a terrible way. Vet said, "sorry, this doesn't typically happen." Ever since, I have always suspected they tried to skimp on the meds. You don't want that memory.

Very much this. I did a ton of research prior while my dog was sick. Some vets do not give a seditive prior to the P-B shot. It can cause ^. Make sure to do your homework on the vet and do not be affraid to ask them directly what medications they use. As bad as it was to lose mine, he really did just pass on. No twitching, no noises, did not appear distressed from the medication. Damn dude, my heart breaks for you. This is all still extremely fresh for me, I really hope for the best for you.

Shorts
08-20-16, 06:24
Typed having not read any posts other than this OP of the thread...

[snip]"It's the worst of the worst."

[snip]

CPM, I'm real sorry to hear this. I remember the day like it was yesterday that I received the prognosis for my boy Chester. Same kind of deal, though squamous cell carcinoma and he was given 3mths at most.

I could probably type a novel here but I will keep it short. From here on out, don't waste a day with your pup. Let him do all the crazy stuff he's wanted, take lots of pics and videos doing everything. Love him like there's no tomorrow because really that's where you are.

In the end, I had to put him down. Chester lived another 8mths after his diagnosis. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I sobbed on the floor that day. That was March 29, 2014. I miss him all the time and I honestly believe my heart is still broke for him. He was the best Black Lab ever.

I won't sugarcoat, it won't do you any good. This is going to hurt, and this is going to hurt a lot. Honor your pup, go get the rest of his life, love him and don't let him go with things undone or unsaid.

Arik
08-20-16, 10:04
1st get a second opinion.

It's not the food. These things happen, unfortunately. IMO, and I'm by no means a doctor, if he is perfectly fine in all other aspects of daily life I would let it be. Let him enjoy life with you while he can.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

horseman234
08-20-16, 20:39
I have a treeing walker, that I found at a gun range about 10 years ago. Apparently he had gotten lost from the pack, was severely dehydrated, took two steps away from me and fell over. I took him home, gave him food and water and he has been a great dog. Last year he was diagnosed with lymphoma. I was conflicted about whether to put him through chemo, or just let him go. My vet, who is a good friend,told me that they do actually feel better during the treatment, and that even if he lasts one year, that's equivalent to seven human years to the dog. That convinced me to try chemo. After a month he really improved and has had a happy life. It's not cheap, but to see your dog happy is priceless. I do worry that it's going to recur at anytime but he's had a good year that he would not have had otherwise.

CPM
08-22-16, 22:34
I definitely appreciate everyone's posts. I was feeling beyond down. I'm a little better now, and have taken the resounding advice and am getting a second opinion tomorrow afternoon.

I can't explain how everyone's words made me feel. Thank you and I will keep this thread updated.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-22-16, 22:58
We used to breed Golden's. Beautiful, kind, loyal, and fun companions. But, they are highly susceptible to cancers, even amongst breeds as high quality as ours were. I'm sorry for the bad news either way.

CPM
08-23-16, 21:34
Well, went to a great vet for a second opinion today. Also did an ultrasound. He said that the spleen looks like a honeycomb and there is liver involvement. He said that chemo would not give him another twelve months. I asked him what he would do if it was his dog and he said he would put him on prednisone immediately, watch the lymph nodes go down, and enjoy him until they enlarge again- at which point it is time to make a decision. Maybe two months

Very tough day today, but at least I have a concrete diagnosis and a plan. Thanks for all of the support here. I'm going to spend as much time as possible loving Tucker. He saved me from some very dark times, the least I can do is be the strong loving father he needs now.

SteyrAUG
08-23-16, 22:27
Well, went to a great vet for a second opinion today. Also did an ultrasound. He said that the spleen looks like a honeycomb and there is liver involvement. He said that chemo would not give him another twelve months. I asked him what he would do if it was his dog and he said he would put him on prednisone immediately, watch the lymph nodes go down, and enjoy him until they enlarge again- at which point it is time to make a decision. Maybe two months

Very tough day today, but at least I have a concrete diagnosis and a plan. Thanks for all of the support here. I'm going to spend as much time as possible loving Tucker. He saved me from some very dark times, the least I can do is be the strong loving father he needs now.

Man that's awful news, but at least you know what you are dealing with. Worst thing about dogs is they aren't forever, but at much as this part is horrible, I couldn't imagine life without them.

ClearedHot
08-23-16, 22:44
As a dog owner, that's gotta be heartbreaking news to hear. When that time comes, considering having him put down at home, where he feels comfortable and safe vs having it done in some cold, sterile veterinarian's office.

Watrdawg
08-24-16, 07:36
So sorry to hear the news.

Watrdawg
08-24-16, 07:39
Just this side of heaven
is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...

Wake27
08-24-16, 09:51

I'm very sorry to hear that, enjoy the time you have together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Bravo
08-24-16, 10:14

Hate to hear that man. Enjoy the time you have with him and celebrate the life he had.

Hmac
08-24-16, 10:48
Several years ago, one of our Goldens (10 years old) became increasingly listless. We took her to the vet (a friend of ours) one afternoon, who found her to be anemic. Long story short, she anesthetized Sassy and I opened her up. I found about a liter of blood in the abdomen from a ruptured spleen that was extensively replaced by a hemangiosarcoma. I took out the spleen, saw no metastases, and was hopeful that I got it in time but I knew nothing about hemangiosarcoma - it doesn't occur in humans. The vet was skeptical (knowing a hell of a lot more about hemangiosarcoma than I). Sassy did great for about a month, then, just like the vet literature said she worsened rapidly over about a day as the metastases aggressively asserted themselves, and we put her to sleep that night. She was a great friend, utterly loyal. It was a very said day in our lives.

We have had many Golden Retrievers over the last 35 years. Absent friends...

http://ssequine.net/absentfriends.jpg

usmcvet
08-24-16, 15:34
CPM

I'm sorry about your buddy Tucker. I just lost my dog last week. F-ing sucks. What is your plan when you need to make the call and out him down? Several here have mentioned a puppy. It may seem disloyal but its not. It it's practical. I am sorry you're dealing with this. It sucks. Make sure you do what's best for Rucker but also what's best for you.

Averageman
08-24-16, 15:37
CPM

I'm sorry about your buddy Tucker. I just lost my dog last week. F-ing sucks. What is your plan when you need to make the call and out him down? Several here have mentioned a puppy. It may seem disloyal but its not. It it's practical. I am sorry you're dealing with this. It sucks. Make sure you do what's best for Rucker but also what's best for you.

I was talking to a breeder last night and mentioned this post. She thought a puppy would be a great idea, not only for you, but for Tucker.

Watrdawg
08-24-16, 15:56
When i had to put down one of my labs 4 years ago, he was only 3 1/2, I had no intentions of getting another dogs for a while. Barely 2 months later I had a brand new 7wk old pup running up to me. He will be 4 this December.

CPM
08-24-16, 17:27
I actually have two other dogs: a 5 year old German Shepherd that I found on the street while walking Tucker 4 years ago and my fiance brought her 7 year old miniature Schnauzer into the fold when I found her. They all get along great, but I'm worried about the GSD. Honestly, I haven't felt this way since I first came back from Iraq, and I never want to go through this again unnecessarily(GSD and Schnauzer aside). This tightness in my chest and weight on my shoulders- I hate it so much. I wish I could just man the hell up.

The main difference is when and why I got Tucker. I returned from Iraq in September of 09 and ETS'd in December 09. Fiance left me in August 09 over the phone. I was a lost soul. No real purpose, all of this freedom. Weight gain, beard, community college- SOP for most of us. I found Tucker in August of 2010 so I could have a purpose- a reason to recover and get better. To get outside and exercise. To love something again. He had been returned to a redneck white trash breeder twice, I have no idea why- he hasn't done two bad things since I've had him. It's a little different with this one, for whatever reason.

Ironically, I always joke that he hates me- he's never affectionate with me, especially compared to the GSD who acts like I pried the jaws of death from his throat. He loves everyone else, climbs up on them, etc... Once I'm done petting him, even for a second, he's gone! I just love him so much.

Everything for a reason I suppose.

jpmuscle
08-24-16, 18:15
CPM,

If your located anywhere near me I'll take you out for a beer.

SteyrAUG
08-24-16, 18:47
CPM

A puppy right now might be a lot of work, especially when CPM has his hands full taking care of a dog in declining health.

SteyrAUG
08-24-16, 18:54
I actually have two other dogs: a 5 year old German Shepherd that I found on the street while walking Tucker 4 years ago and my fiance brought her 7 year old miniature Schnauzer into the fold when I found her. They all get along great, but I'm worried about the GSD. Honestly, I haven't felt this way since I first came back from Iraq, and I never want to go through this again unnecessarily(GSD and Schnauzer aside). This tightness in my chest and weight on my shoulders- I hate it so much. I wish I could just man the hell up.

The main difference is when and why I got Tucker. I returned from Iraq in September of 09 and ETS'd in December 09. Fiance left me in August 09 over the phone. I was a lost soul. No real purpose, all of this freedom. Weight gain, beard, community college- SOP for most of us. I found Tucker in August of 2010 so I could have a purpose- a reason to recover and get better. To get outside and exercise. To love something again. He had been returned to a redneck white trash breeder twice, I have no idea why- he hasn't done two bad things since I've had him. It's a little different with this one, for whatever reason.

Ironically, I always joke that he hates me- he's never affectionate with me, especially compared to the GSD who acts like I pried the jaws of death from his throat. He loves everyone else, climbs up on them, etc... Once I'm done petting him, even for a second, he's gone! I just love him so much.

Everything for a reason I suppose.

Sounds like you have manned up just fine, that's why it sucks so bad.

Might be simplistic, but sounds like you found Tucker when you needed him the most, now it's time to return the kindness by making sure his last days are as happy as possible and he isn't subjected to needless pain and suffering.

You rescued him too. Try to imagine his existence if he was forced to live with the redneck white trash breeder. Sounds like you know everything you need to know, you just aren't looking forward to it and you know it's going to be hard to say the least. The more you care, the worse it is, but it's better to care because sounds like Tucker has earned it. Tucker is lucky that he found the right person, sometimes it sucks to be the right person.

SeriousStudent
08-24-16, 19:56
Sometimes you rescue a dog, and other times a dog rescues you.

I hope the Predisone helps Tucker, and he is without pain as long as possible.

He's lucky to have you.

usmcvet
08-24-16, 22:10
I believe every dog deserves a kid and every kid deserves a dog. I see myself as a big kid. That said I'm taking a break from dogs for a while. I did get to have my old Springer over night last week. The ex was out of town. We had fun together. It sounds like you're good to go with three dogs now. I probably wouldn't add a fourth to the mix.

CPM
09-06-16, 20:33
It is with both relief and regret that I report Tucker's passing today. While I knew that he was not in good shape, I had no idea how aggressive this cancer is. Tucker's energy levels steadily declined over the past week, but it's hot here in Texas and he was always a lazy dog, so as long as he was eating and peeing and pooping normally I was going to give him his day. Yesterday he ate half a bowl of food for breakfast, something he had never done before, and half of dinner. During the night his breathing was audibly difficult and this morning he refused to eat at all. That's 24 hours from eating to none at all. When I tried to give him some tramadol and peanut butter off my finger he refused as well and I knew it was time.

I called the vet and made an appointment for noon and took the day off. My better half made paw prints of him and we laid down next to him for a few hours. I tried one last walk of 4/10 of a mile and although he did it without stopping I could tell it was truly over.

We packed up all of his toys and his blanket he carried everywhere and drove to the vet while my fiance laid in the back with him.

He went quickly at the vet, and I am shocked to report that before he administered the drugs the vet sat down on the floor with us and asked me if he could say a prayer. He picked up Tuckers head and rested his forehead against it and prayed aloud. I was beyond moved. He let out a slight sigh at the very end and my best friend went to wait for me with my lost brothers in arms. I have a very good friend, the best soldier I ever knew, who killed himself and I think he needs Tucker more than I do now.

Tucker brought me back from the brink of destruction and I am proud to say that I held it together until over 7 minutes after he passed. I didn't want his last image of me to be upset and crying. I stroked his head and told him what a good boy he was until well after he was gone.

In any event, this was my first, and arguably the hardest thing I have ever done. Tucker was an amazing companion, and I will love him dearly until I join him again. God was merciful and loving and gave him a clean, peaceful, and quiet death. I am forever grateful for that.

Honu
09-06-16, 20:42
allergies :(

glad you had a dog friend that gave you so much and sadly we realize how much they mean to us and how short there lives are to us :)

Shorts
09-06-16, 21:01
CPM, my heart grieves with you tonight. I cried reading your update. Though time has passed, I still feel the lost of my pup. Damn sure ain't easy to lose special things like this. It's my belief you will see Tucker again. I plan on seeing my boy Chester. In the meantime I'm sure they're having a grand time free of tgeir pains in that big dog park in the sky.

SteyrAUG
09-06-16, 21:32
I stroked his head and told him what a good boy he was until well after he was gone.

Sad news about Tucker, but I'm glad he had you to make sure he was taken care of right till the end.

CPM
09-06-16, 21:54
The overwhelming feeling I keep having is like Danny's character in Lone Survivor when he looks at the others and says, "They're so fast! How are they so fast? Are they faster than us? I didn't know they'd be so fast?!" He said it with such convincing disbelief. I just can't get over how quickly he declined. My only experience with cancer was breast cancer, and although it was aggressive, my grandmother fought it for 18 months. I cannot understand how this moved so quickly. My brain cannot compute it.

I have spent much of the day openly weeping, both alone and with my fiancé. I managed to go to the gym and keep some food down, and I am reminded that much of my weeping comes from how good he was not long ago, and by default means that he did not suffer long at all.

I can't begin to describe the feeling I had when the vet sat down and held his head and prayed. It is so hard to walk in the house and not have him run up and try to take something out of my hands, or carry her purse inside, but I am so grateful he went so peacefully and so quickly.

HeruMew
09-07-16, 07:38
I am whole heartily sorry for your loss.

While I am sure relief has come in many ways, I would be lying to say your post didn't drive me to tears myself.

Your pain is clear, and your relationship even more so. When I read your update, it shocked me, I had recalled just recently reading your initial post; sounds like everything went quick, and the pain was reduced to the best of your abilities.

Just through this thread, it's clear how much love you have for your family, both two legged and four legged members, and I commend you for staying with your friend til the very end as strong as you did.