PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Planning on Seeing War Dogs?

26 Inf
08-20-16, 22:57
Don't.

The wife and I decided to go to a movie this afternoon while the daughters were working.

Choice narrowed down to Suicide Squad, Bad Mom, War Dogs. Chose War Dogs. Should have stayed home.

It is based on a true story, which I knew nothing about. It was really uneven, no plot line was really developed except the one that was obvious from the beginning - one buddy screw the other one.

I almost told the wife 'Let's go' about 45 minutes in. As it was I offered my humble apologies walking to the car.

Save your time.

JoshNC
08-20-16, 23:04
I almost tried to convince my wife to see it tonight instead of Bad Moms. Glad I did not. Thanks for the heads up. Bad Moms is hilarious and definitely worth seeing.

Firefly
08-20-16, 23:24
I'm glad to see the warning. Tomorrow is a freeish day and was thinking about going.

Lord of War is blatantly anti-gun but gives an abbreviated history of post collapse arms dealing and the turbulent late 90s-early 00s Liberian Civil War.

But the BEST Arms Dealing movie is Deal of the Century. It has Chevy Chase, HK91s, Sigourney Weaver, nascent UAVs, and Gregory Hines. I loved Gregory Hines. I even liked Tap.

Chevy Chase's guy reminds me of SteyrAUG kind of :).

I DID see Suicide Squad and don't get the hate. I actually liked Will Smith's guy, Harley Quinn was okay, the Japanese chick was slick, and while it did feel kinda draggy here and there I liked it. It wasn't as good as the Avengers but I liked it. The black Senator(?) lady was actually really scary because she was the most realistic villain/anti-hero. Like someone like her probably exists to a degree. The Joker wasn't as good as Jack Nicholson but ehhh he was a'ight, I guess.

SteyrAUG
08-21-16, 00:56
But the BEST Arms Dealing movie is Deal of the Century. It has Chevy Chase, HK91s, Sigourney Weaver, nascent UAVs, and Gregory Hines. I loved Gregory Hines. I even liked Tap.

Great movie, loved the sales pitch where he dropped the 91 then jumped on it. Next best scene was when the guy tried to rob him.

But my favorite Gregory Hines movie has to be "Running Scared" (1986) with Billy Crystal. It's just hilarious. If you want a serious movie, "Off Limits" (1988) with Willem Dafoe was pretty good.

mig1nc
08-21-16, 06:53
Great movie, loved the sales pitch where he dropped the 91 then jumped on it. Next best scene was when the guy tried to rob him.

But my favorite Gregory Hines movie has to be "Running Scared" (1986) with Billy Crystal. It's just hilarious. If you want a serious movie, "Off Limits" (1988) with Willem Dafoe was pretty good.

My favorite part, "Just a little touch up?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVvEsy396dA

JoshNC
08-21-16, 09:19
But the BEST Arms Dealing movie is Deal of the Century. It has Chevy Chase, HK91s, Sigourney Weaver, nascent UAVs, and Gregory Hines.

Yes! Deal of the Century is amazing.

This is my favorite scene:

http://youtu.be/TJ09dKjOUvw

Running Scared is amazing. I don't think I've seen Off Limits.

Alex V
08-21-16, 10:08
Should have went to see Sausage Party. I can't wait to see it :-)

Firefly
08-21-16, 13:33
Running Scared was great. Now you have that Michael Mcdonald song in your head.

The movie I'm waiting for is Hacksaw Ridge

MistWolf
08-21-16, 16:14
...The Joker wasn't as good as Jack Nicholson but ehhh he was a'ight, I guess.

You mean there's a Joker even worse than Jack Nicholson?!?

Firefly
08-21-16, 16:31
You mean there's a Joker even worse than Jack Nicholson?!?

Jack Nicholson was the best Joker after Cesar Romero. Heath Ledger had an interesting interpretation but he wasn't Vaudevillean enough for me nor did he jam out to Prince songs

26 Inf
08-21-16, 17:36

Dang, that was a good one.

elephant
08-21-16, 20:49
The real story that came out in 2008 and the stories that followed in 2011, 2013 were different, the original story was in Rolling Stone and was more accurate. The movie is a combination of all 3 stories from 3 different point of views. Both men in real life are suing the movie as well as Ralph Slutsky, a Jewish business man.

War Dogs was a good movie overall, probably not as good as Lord of War which is about Yuri Orlov, a similar type of film depicting the life of an arms dealer. War Dogs was based on a true story but there were several differences but done so to be able to make the film worth seeing. I am not a Jonah Hill fan. This film follows a couple of men in there mid 20's competing for the $300 Million Dollar "Afghan Deal", which was to arm the Afghanistan Forces for 25 years. The problem was the availability of 100,000,000 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo to make this deal doable. They were competing with 17 fortune 500 companies including Stewart & Stevenson, Halliburton, Raytheon, L-3 Communications, Northrop Grumman, General Dynamics, General Electric, General Motors( none of those were mentioned in film). After trying for a few weeks to work out a deal with several ammunition manufactures to produce 100 million rounds, they were out of luck until they meet a guy named Henry Girard who is an Albanian arms dealer and currently on a terror watch list and can only be in the US for no more than 48 hours in a 90 day period. There was no real Henry Girard, but there was a grey market middle man named Heinrich Thomet who was the real man. He told them he could supply them with 100 million rounds of ak rounds through a supplier in Albania. Albania was at that time, 2007, joining NATO and had to get rid of all Soviet era inventory and there was a huge supply of ammo, something like 6 billions rounds. Problem was these guys couldn't afford to buy the equipment, so with the help of a Jewish business man, they borrowed $38 million (not mentioned in film) to buy the ammo. After a few days a $20 million dollars later, they found out that the ammo was made in China during in early 80's and that would not be OK with the US, so they decided to "re-package" the ammo into pre printed cardboard boxes labeled "made in Albania", which is illegal and against NATO policy. In the end, they were cought because they forgot to pay the man who made the boxes his $100k.

cougar_guy04
08-21-16, 20:55
Well, there is something good that came out of War Dogs . . . I learned of the movie Deal of the Century and have a new DVD on the way.

Those reverse mugging and rich up scenes are hillarious

SteyrAUG
08-21-16, 21:01
The real story that came out in 2008 and the stories that followed in 2011, 2013 were different, the original story was in Rolling Stone and was more accurate. The movie is a combination of all 3 stories from 3 different point of views. Both men in real life are suing the movie as well as Ralph Slutsky, a Jewish business man.

War Dogs was a good movie overall, probably not as good as Lord of War which is about Yuri Orlov, a similar type of film depicting the life of an arms dealer. War Dogs was based on a true story but there were several differences but done so to be able to make the film worth seeing. I am not a Jonah Hill fan. This film follows a couple of men in there mid 20's competing for the $300 Million Dollar "Afghan Deal", which was to arm the Afghanistan Forces for 25 years. The problem was the availability of 100,000,000 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo to make this deal doable. They were competing with 17 fortune 500 companies including Stewart & Stevenson, Halliburton, Raytheon, L-3 Communications, Northrop Grumman, General Dynamics, General Electric, General Motors( none of those were mentioned in film). After trying for a few weeks to work out a deal with several ammunition manufactures to produce 100 million rounds, they were out of luck until they meet a guy named Henry Girard who is an Albanian arms dealer and currently on a terror watch list and can only be in the US for no more than 48 hours in a 90 day period. There was no real Henry Girard, but there was a grey market middle man named Heinrich Thomet who was the real man. He told them he could supply them with 100 million rounds of ak rounds through a supplier in Albania. Albania was at that time, 2007, joining NATO and had to get rid of all Soviet era inventory and there was a huge supply of ammo, something like 6 billions rounds. Problem was these guys couldn't afford to buy the equipment, so with the help of a Jewish business man, they borrowed $38 million (not mentioned in film) to buy the ammo. After a few days a $20 million dollars later, they found out that the ammo was made in China during in early 80's and that would not be OK with the US, so they decided to "re-package" the ammo into pre printed cardboard boxes labeled "made in Albania", which is illegal and against NATO policy. In the end, they were cought because they forgot to pay the man who made the boxes his $100k.

Good lord, they actually made a movie about those retards? If ever two dumbass clowns deserved to fade into obscurity, they should be near the top of the list.

Jer
08-21-16, 21:38

No love for Hell or High Water?

Heath Ledger was the best Joker. There, I said it. The Dark Knight series was the best Hollywood adaption of the Batman story. Batdance? Get outta here!

jpmuscle
08-21-16, 21:54
Heath Ledger was the best Joker. There, I said it. The Dark Knight series was the best Hollywood adaption of the Batman story. Batdance? Get outta here!

I'm gonna have to agree with this assessment.

SteyrAUG
08-21-16, 22:19
No love for Hell or High Water?

As much as I'm a sucker for 80s nostalgia, I have to agree. Much as I liked Michael Keaton, Tim Burton sucked and ruined the Batman films. With another director setting the style, they could have been glorious, what we got instead was almost as stupid as the 60s TV show regardless of the talents involved. Batman returns was worse and only the Schumacher films prevent them from being declared the worst of the entire franchise.

MistWolf
08-22-16, 01:52
Jack Nicholson was the best Joker after Cesar Romero. Heath Ledger had an interesting interpretation but he wasn't Vaudevillean enough for me nor did he jam out to Prince songs

Cesar Romero was the best Joker until Mark Hamill. Mark Hamil isn't just the best Joker, he becomes the Joker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch3Ud7mc8N0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ryHyDFCCD8

Jack Nicholson's Joker was so bad, it wasn't the Joker at all. To be fair, it wasn't Jack's fault. I got the feeling he was hired to play Jack Nicholson in a purple tux. He was good as himself. It just wasn't the Joker. It was like casting Arnold Swarzenegger as Mr. Freeze. It wasn't Mr. Freeze.

Heath Ledger's performance lacked something. He was good as a maniac, but he just wasn't the Joker. Wrong kind of energy

Jer
08-22-16, 11:26
Cesar Romero was the best Joker until Mark Hamill. Mark Hamil isn't just the best Joker, he becomes the Joker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch3Ud7mc8N0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ryHyDFCCD8

Jack Nicholson's Joker was so bad, it wasn't the Joker at all. To be fair, it wasn't Jack's fault. I got the feeling he was hired to play Jack Nicholson in a purple tux. He was good as himself. It just wasn't the Joker. It was like casting Arnold Swarzenegger as Mr. Freeze. It wasn't Mr. Freeze.

Heath Ledger's performance lacked something. He was good as a maniac, but he just wasn't the Joker. Wrong kind of energy

So Mark Hamil becomes the Joker and Heath Ledger doesn't? Of all the arguments you could make that's the least believable. Your submission of evidence is a 2min monologue and a cartoon?

Here you go... 3min of some of the best acting in ANY Batman movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8PxG5zvgOM

Now, if you can watch that and tell me that Heath Ledger didn't become The joker than we're obviously judging on a different scale. Hell, many are even convinced that he became The Joker so much that it plunged him into a depression that ultimately cost him his life. The fact that's even a consideration (even if you believe it to be false) pretty much negates your claim that he doesn't become The Joker. In fact, in the history of The Joker I have a hard time finding someone who became him more than Heath Ledger. I was ready to hate his portrayal as soon as I heard he was signed on to play the role but when I saw it.... wow. In a movie where Batman was the hero and lead role Heath's Joker jumped off of the screen and IMHO stole the show. That one role possibly stole the entire series going back as far as I can imagine. There have been other Jokers and a few were even passable but none had that level of writing, direction or acting. He wasn't just dark but the joy he displayed in his eyes from the darkness he portrayed WAS the Joker. He captured The Joker in way that nobody had been able to since. Even Mark Hamill's portrayal led me to believe he was reading a part by comparison evidenced by over-acting a few lines. Heath's beauty was the subtleness of how he delivered the lines in a way that The Joker would had he been real. He brought The Joker to life. You don't do that w/o engulfing yourself in that role.

MistWolf
08-22-16, 11:50
So Mark Hamil becomes the Joker and Heath Ledger doesn't? Of all the arguments you could make that's the least believable. Your submission of evidence is a 2min monologue and a cartoon?

Here you go... 3min of some of the best acting in ANY Batman movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8PxG5zvgOM

Now, if you can watch that and tell me that Heath Ledger didn't become The joker than we're obviously judging on a different scale. Hell, many are even convinced that he became The Joker so much that it plunged him into a depression that ultimately cost him his life. The fact that's even a consideration (even if you believe it to be false) pretty much negates your claim that he doesn't become The Joker. In fact, in the history of The Joker I have a hard time finding someone who became him more than Heath Ledger. I was ready to hate his portrayal as soon as I heard he was signed on to play the role but when I saw it.... wow. In a movie where Batman was the hero and lead role Heath's Joker jumped off of the screen and IMHO stole the show. That one role possibly stole the entire series going back as far as I can imagine. There have been other Jokers and a few were even passable but none had that level of writing, direction or acting. He wasn't just dark but the joy he displayed in his eyes from the darkness he portrayed WAS the Joker. He captured The Joker in way that nobody had been able to since. Even Mark Hamill's portrayal led me to believe he was reading a part by comparison evidenced by over-acting a few lines. Heath's beauty was the subtleness of how he delivered the lines in a way that The Joker would had he been real. He brought The Joker to life. You don't do that w/o engulfing yourself in that role.

For me, Heath didn't do it. He was definitely menacing and dangerous but that was it. The Joker is much more than that. The Joker has the ability to lull you into a false sense of security before cutting your throat. Heath's Joker lacked that. Heath's Joker didn't bring out the interplay between the Joker and the Batman and he couldn't deliver the punchline. Mark did a wonderful job bringing all that out over the course of the series and in the video games he voiced. Don't under estimate Batman: The Animated Series. There's a lot of good storytelling and character development in it

glocktogo
08-22-16, 14:02

Wait, did you just say an article in Rolling Stone was "more accurate"? :confused:

The_War_Wagon
08-22-16, 15:15
Good lord, they actually made a movie about those retards? If ever two dumbass clowns deserved to fade into obscurity, they should be near the top of the list.

It's the Botach Tactical story, right?

As for the Joker - there's Jack Nicholson. And then there's, "Less than Jack Nicholson." :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Tpe-dbPQI

elephant
08-22-16, 15:29
Wait, did you just say an article in Rolling Stone was "more accurate"? :confused:

The original story was NOT written by Rolling Stone, it was published in Rolling Stone and was titled, "Arms and the Dudes", written by Guy Lawson who spent the better part of a year researching the truth to the story. Guy was writing a book but had not gotten a book deal and he was trying to put together something fast before a major news outlet picked up the story so he sold the article to Rolling Stone Magazine. The movie makes these guys out to be something they weren't, partiers, hanging out with strippers and running guns to Iraq-which they never did. Most of there work was from a small executive office they rented in Miami. They never once went to Albania, Russia, Iraq or Jordon. They used approved middle men to handle business outside of the US.

SteyrAUG
08-22-16, 16:48
It's the Botach Tactical story, right?

No, it's the story of those two morons in their 20s, who backed by funding from Vector Arms, scored a million dollar contract to provide ammo to the Iraqi military. Not only were the unable / unwilling to follow the rules of the contract, they weren't even smart enough to pay off the people who had to be taken care of if you are going to run such a scam.

They got "pimp rich" really fast and strutted around the globe like they owned it, then had the nerve to be surprised when it all came tumbling down. The owner of Vector arms took a big hit rather than a big reward for backing a couple of retards trying to run a scam on the US government. I still remember when he put his Lamborghini on ebay to help cover some losses.

Hopefully they don't get a dime from the lawsuit.

Firefly
08-22-16, 16:53
Sadly, I fear some of our membership is on crack.

Per Cartoons, Yes. Mark Hamill IS the standard. He could be equally menacing and funny. Which is the point.

Jack Nicholson and Cesar Romero(pbuh) were the best live action Jokers. They were FUNNY. They made me LAUGH. They told JOKES.

Jared Leto looks like a juggalo white boy rapper. SKINNY white boy rapper.

Heath Ledger was just creepy. He is like if the Joker were some former EOD guy with real bad PTSD and possibly on Heroin. He never made me laugh. Interesting performance. Good movie, but not really the spirit of the Joker.

Joker is steeped in Vaudeville and Camp. You think because he's a clown that he's not that bad. He's the Anti-Batman. Loud colors, lame jokes, gimmicky plots, and being wacky. Like he doesn't care if he lives, dies, or goes to jail as long as it's funny on some level.

I can have a pretty morbid sense of humor and still...not even a chuckle at Heath Ledger. Well....maybe when he tried to blow up the hospital but that was it. Michael Caine was more amusing.

Anybody can be creepy, but not everyone can be funny.

Firefly
08-22-16, 16:54
No, it's the story of those two morons in their 20s, who backed by funding from Vector Arms, scored a million dollar contract to provide ammo to the Iraqi military. Not only were the unable / unwilling to follow the rules of the contract, they weren't even smart enough to pay off the people who had to be taken care of if you are going to run such a scam.

They got "pimp rich" really fast and strutted around the globe like they owned it, then had the nerve to be surprised when it all came tumbling down. The owner of Vector arms took a big hit rather than a big reward for backing a couple of retards trying to run a scam on the US government. I still remember when he put his Lamborghini on ebay to help cover some losses.

Hopefully they don't get a dime from the lawsuit.

Is this why V93s dried up?

SteyrAUG
08-22-16, 17:12
Sadly, I fear some of our membership is on crack.

Per Cartoons, Yes. Mark Hamill IS the standard. He could be equally menacing and funny. Which is the point.

Jack Nicholson and Cesar Romero(pbuh) were the best live action Jokers. They were FUNNY. They made me LAUGH. They told JOKES.

Jared Leto looks like a juggalo white boy rapper. SKINNY white boy rapper.

Heath Ledger was just creepy. He is like if the Joker were some former EOD guy with real bad PTSD and possibly on Heroin. He never made me laugh. Interesting performance. Good movie, but not really the spirit of the Joker.

Joker is steeped in Vaudeville and Camp. You think because he's a clown that he's not that bad. He's the Anti-Batman. Loud colors, lame jokes, gimmicky plots, and being wacky. Like he doesn't care if he lives, dies, or goes to jail as long as it's funny on some level.

I can have a pretty morbid sense of humor and still...not even a chuckle at Heath Ledger. Well....maybe when he tried to blow up the hospital but that was it. Michael Caine was more amusing.

Anybody can be creepy, but not everyone can be funny.

You didn't laugh at the pencil trick?!?!

Is this why V93s dried up?

Mostly, yes.

http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2015/02/13/utah-gun-maker-files-for-bankruptcy/

Utah Gun Maker Files for Bankruptcy
By Katy Stech
Feb 13, 2015 3:29 pm ET
0 COMMENTS

A Utah gun manufacturer, locked in a three-year legal battle with convicted felon Ralph Merrill, has filed for bankruptcy.

Vector Arms Corp.—the “source for the best AK47 and *UZI’s on the market”—faces big legal bills in a dispute over whether Mr. Merrill sold the company’s gun-making equipment and inventory to current owner and president Jason Maughn in 2011.

That sale came after Mr. Merrill lost his firearms manufacturing license in an illegal scheme to use China-made bullets to fill a $298 million ammunition order for Afghanistan Security Forces.

Firefly
08-22-16, 17:25
That sucks. I was told they were decent HK93 analogs. I don't see myself dropping 4 large on a real 93.

And no, I didn't laugh at the pencil trick. It was a cool move, but not as funny as Jack Nicholson's Joybuzzer

elephant
08-22-16, 17:39
The "afghan deal" was the deal of the century, that's why there were so many fortune 500 companies involved. It wasn't just ammo, it was a deal that would arm the Afghan forces for 25 years, AK47s, AKM's, Ak74's, RPK's, RPG's, DshK's, along with "non-standardized" equipment like grenades, box magazines and of coarse 100 million rounds of 7.62x39 which happened to be to massive hill you would have to climb if you wanted this contract. Companies like L-3, Raytheon, Texas Instruments, General Dynamics put in bids around $400-$450 million where as companies like General Motors, Northrop Grumman and Honeywell were bidding at $350-$400 million. These guys placed a bid around $271 million and won the contract, however, they didn't have the capital nor the income to make this deal happen so they first went and got help from a local business owner who owned 41 dry cleaners, he gave them $38 million and with that, they purchased most of the firearms second hand from source countries like Latvia, Serbia, Armenia, Georgia which wasn't illegal or against policy. Once they fulfilled the first 16 pages of line items of the contract, they came to the 100 million rounds of ammo- which they knew didn't exist so they started looking around the globe for surplus. A man named Heinrich met them at a weapons expo in Vegas and told them that he could supply the ammo for .09 cents a round and that the supply was coming from 1 of 700 storage facilities in Albania and that Albania was joining NATO and was to get rid of all there Soviet era arms. The first problem that came about was that Heinrich was a middle man making $.04 cents a round and they 2 guys didn't like that. After a few days of sorting through 50 container boxes full of ammo can's they found that 70% of the ammo originated in China in the early 1980s, not a big deal, but in 2007, there was a ban on imports from Italy, France, Poland, Japan and China into Afghanistan and there fore the Chinese ammo was useless. Up to this point, they have fulfilled most of the contract but have not been paid for any and they couldn't back out and they would not get paid until they fulfilled the contract in full. So with help from various people, they hired a crew of 100 Albanians and employed them to unbox 100 million rounds of ammo and put them into a different box that was labled "made in Albania". At this time they were deeply in debt and sourced major companies here in the US for help in exchange for a percentage in profit. In the end, they screwed a lot of people, the Albanians never got paid for there work, the packaging manufacture never got paid for the boxes. They Jewish man never got paid back his initial $38 million and in the end, the contract was never fulfilled and no one got a dime. The only person that walked away was Heinrich, who walked away with $9 million and kept the 100 million rounds of Chinese ammo.

kwelz
08-22-16, 18:18

I was on the fence about this. My fear was that it was going to be some "Pacifism can defeat violence" butchery of history. However it looks like that is not the case so I am pretty excited.

Koshinn
08-22-16, 18:18
I thought the movie would be about Military Working Dogs.

:(

SteyrAUG
08-22-16, 19:17
That sucks. I was told they were decent HK93 analogs. I don't see myself dropping 4 large on a real 93.

And no, I didn't laugh at the pencil trick. It was a cool move, but not as funny as Jack Nicholson's Joybuzzer

V93s were very problematic.

Firefly
08-22-16, 19:29
V93s were very problematic.

Well then they deserved to go under. I almost bought one and would've been upset.