PDA

View Full Version : Carry Handle

mmike87
09-05-08, 08:11
One of my rifles is being placed on "KISS" duty. That is, it's bling (light, optics, etc) is being transferred to a new rifle.

So, I want to put a standard carry handle on that rifle. So, I have a couple of questions.

1) I have a RRA "tactical" carry handle that I was using with an Aimpoint. I have a LaRue mount coming for the Aimpoint freeing up the "tactical" carry handle. Some people thing this thing is junk. Why? Should I just sell it cheap or use it on the KISS rifle?
2) If I shouldn't use the RRA handle, then who makes a good quality removeable carry handle that will stay attached and keep zero? I don't want to just use a BUIS on this rifle - I like the looks of the CH for rifles without optics and really want to go that route. I see BCM makes one that is "Milspec" height. This is going on a RRA rifle with a RRA front sight. Will that work? Of course the BCM product's quality is not in question.

Thanks for the suggestions.

markm
09-05-08, 08:39
If the RRA carry handle zeros close to mechanical zero use it and don't worry about it.

If not, BCM is a great choice. I run one on my Sabre upper and it zeroed really close to mechanical zero and the machine work and finish are good too.

mmike87
09-05-08, 09:50
I had read somehwere some time ago that the height of the RRA "tactical" carry handle was wrong for the front sight post on the rifle. That was one of my concerns.

Is there any truth to this?

markm
09-05-08, 10:26
If the RRA matches up to the F front sight base it will be fine on either a rifle or carbean.

rob_s
09-05-08, 10:29
Shoot it and see?

signal4l
09-05-08, 11:04
You could always slap a Larue fixed BUIS on it.

markm
09-05-08, 11:08
Shoot it and see?

That's what I'm saying. If it BZOs with no huge elevation issues... who cares?

mmike87
09-05-08, 11:22
I have shot it out to 100 yards on that rifle and it seemed fine. I had just read some time ago that these "tactical" carry handles were junk and was wondering if anyone could elaborate on that. Someone also commented that it was "commercial" height or something to that effect.

Lonestar.45
09-05-08, 12:20
I have shot it out to 100 yards on that rifle and it seemed fine. I had just read some time ago that these "tactical" carry handles were junk and was wondering if anyone could elaborate on that. Someone also commented that it was "commercial" height or something to that effect.

If it works, don't fix it IMHO. The tactical carry handle isn't "junk", it's just not ideal for optics set ups. Since you will be using irons only, and since it zeros fine, I would keep it and save your money. Don't buy another carry handle if the RRA tactical handle works.

markm
09-05-08, 12:23
If it works, don't fix it IMHO. The tactical carry handle isn't "junk", it's just not ideal for optics set ups. Since you will be using irons only, and since it zeros fine, I would keep it and save your money. Don't buy another carry handle if the RRA tactical handle works.

Exactly. If the commercial height were an issue, you'd have to dial your front sight post all the way up or down and still not be getting a good POI.

mmike87
09-05-08, 13:00
OK, that's exactly the advice I was looking for. I try to do my best based on my readings here on this forum to have equipment that is of high quality but don't want to replace something just "because."

Thanks for your time and advice.