PDA

View Full Version : What causes an aks74u to suddenly start having failures to feed

1911-A1
08-22-16, 14:55
This just began happening several times per mag. I've tried different mags, three types of ammo, cleaning, nothing seems to work. I can't see anything loose or broken in the feed path and the gun seems to be cycling properly with adequate power.

http://i.imgur.com/EIRriLc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/P9MmO4W.jpg

RetroRevolver77
08-22-16, 15:31
Did you chop a 16" Arsenal barrel for the build without removing the gas port grommet?

1911-A1
08-22-16, 16:15
Did you chop a 16" Arsenal barrel for the build without removing the gas port grommet?

It came as a complete rifle with a krink barrel and a pinned fake can on an itm arms receiver

MountainRaven
08-22-16, 16:19
How many rounds do you have downrange?

1911-A1
08-22-16, 16:31
How many rounds do you have downrange?

A few thousand at least

arbninftry
08-22-16, 16:55
1. Check headspace and timing.

2. Can you mimic the malfunction manually by charging the handle. If not it might not be getting enough gas pressure to cycle properly.

3. Check the gas flow from the barrel, make sure you don't have something causing blockage in that hole from the barrel.

4. Did you put the rails on there, make sure they are not binding or rubbing on the gas/operating rod. Any friction can cause the bolt to not cycle.

5 Did you happen to drop it or torque the barrel in any way?

MountainRaven
08-22-16, 17:21
A few thousand at least

Have you replaced the recoil spring? I believe that Battlefield Vegas replace AK recoil springs every 5000 rounds (although they are almost exclusively running theirs full-auto).

Uprange41
08-22-16, 17:29
Trying a new recoil spring would be my first course of action.

Aries144
08-23-16, 14:21
In the first picture, is that a bolt-over-base malfunction? Assuming that to be the case (the picture is too dark to tell), it might alternately be a case of the bolt assembly outrunning the magazine spring or something dragging on the bolt or piston. Based on what you've described, the most likely causes would be the ultimak shifting and rubbing on the piston, slowing the carrier too much, or a barrel that was overgassed to start with that's become worse with port erosion, resulting in the bolt assembly moving too fast.

If it's over gassed, replacing the recoil spring or using a stiffer recoil spring might provide a bandaid fix, however the best way to solve that problem would be to have a gunsmith restrict the gas or just install a new barrel.

Mrgunsngear
08-23-16, 17:20
Trying a new recoil spring would be my first course of action.

Agreed. I'd get a Wolff extra power and standard just to eliminate variables.