PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of a Mossberg MVP Scout (and into something else?)

MeanStreaker
08-24-16, 09:43
I am looking for a lightweight, short, handy, general purpose rifle.

Primary use is to have something to carry around our little homestead all the time if I wanted to. Not that I will, but maybe some weekends. We've had a few coyote sightings during the daytime, so they're getting bolder and I don't want any too comfortable around our chickens... and I have at least one groundhog tearing up our front field. When I see him, he's outside my 9mm marksmanship skills.

Second use is to have something that will let me practice running a bolt gun more.

Third reason is just because I kind of want one. I have 5.56 and 7.62x51 ARs, several semi-auto and bolt .22lr, but nothing in a .308 bolt category like this. I have a few milsurp rifles, but I don't want to alter them to take a scope, and I don't want to mess with cleaning up after corrosive primers if I decide to just pop a couple shots off in our woods for fun now and then.

We can't hunt with (most) rifles in Ohio, so that's not much of a factor.

Other thoughts:

--I like the idea of sharing PMags between my AR-10 and the MVP Scout.
--I like the idea of .308 over 5.56 but go back and forth on this. I definitely want a common caliber I already stock.
--The MVP Scout seems to definitely check the "lightweight" box as it comes in at 6.75 lbs. Savage Scout is much heavier.
--The MVP Scout is inexpensive enough it can bang around the woods without me worrying about it. Otherwise I'd probably just carry my much more expensive Larue PredatAR 7.62. Ruger Gunsite Scout is much more expensive.
--I'm a little concerned about some accuracy reports I've read on the MVP. But honestly, for my purposes outlined above, 2MOA and shots within 100 yards is more than I'd ever need, and I'll just have to live with it not being a tack driver at longer distances at the range.
--I don't know that I'd attach an optic in the forward scout position, but I like the idea of having the option. The Scout model comes with rear aperture sight. It's a little lighter than the MVP Patrol model which doesn't have the long rail.
--I'm not very knowledgeable about older, more traditional bolt rifle models. Do I need a detachable mag? Probably not. But I like the idea.

Anything else I need to consider? Thanks.

austinN4
08-24-16, 12:13
I don't like Scout-style rifles, but a do have the more traditional 16.25" MVP Patrol in 5.56. Both the .308 and 5.56 had some early QC and CS problems but those seem to have mostly sorted themselves out now.

Not sure if it is allowed to post links to other forums here so am PMing links to the 2 dedicated MVP forums that I am aware of. Suggest you spend some time reading there. Of the 2, the second one I send is the better of the 2 IMO.

austinN4
08-24-16, 12:55
From PM reply:
It's good to know someone who has some time behind these rifles.

LOL, not very much, which is why I referred you to the forums. In order to use AR-type mags, the bolt has way more slop in it than you are probably used to. I know it does for me. But it does lock up tight.

Also there were some issues with poor extractor material resulting in broken extractors, mostly on .308s. You are probably OK with 2016 stock, but be cautious with earlier builds.

Also the mags that ship with them are not the best as they tend to rock in the mag well, but everyone seems to say the Magul 10 rounders are GTG

The trigger guard is small for cold weather gloves, magwells are too large and the mags release is awkward. There are now aftermarket parts for those as well:
http://www.tromix.com/mossberg-mvp-parts.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331898520818?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142072100429?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

But the concept is exactly what I was looking for: Short, lightweight, bolt action that takes AR type mags. Mossberg, however, could have executed the concept better than they did.

Nowski87
08-24-16, 14:41
I would look in to the Ruger American Compact or Predator. They both come in .308 and are very lite even with the predators bull barrel. They also won't break the bank coming in at around 400 retail. The only down side is they don't use P mags but their own rotary box mag based off the 10-22 mag.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

MeanStreaker
08-24-16, 14:46
Nowski, what do you see as the benefits of the Ruger Americans compared to the Mossberg MVP Scout? Thanks.

Nowski87
08-24-16, 14:53
It's really six of one half dozen of the other. The action and the trigger on the Ruger are fantastic for the price point the Mossberg is just okay in my opinion. The other thing is the Ruger is your more typical hunting rifle that can be found anywhere and could be used as such if you so choose.

tgizzard
08-24-16, 17:10
I've also been going back and forth on picking up one of these as well. I haven't pulled the trigger yet though because it would solely be a fun gun for me. I don't own a huge piece of property and you can't hunt with them here in my state. From what I've read they aren't exactly fun range guns either, they are more utility type rifles (which seems to be what you are looking for). From a YouTube review I watched on them the gentleman doing the review said the bolt was a bit finicky when the gun is being run at a decent pace. Take that for what it's worth, as I personally have Zero trigger time behind one.

All that being said, there is still a part of me that wants to just buy one anyway. :D

abso
08-25-16, 04:15
I also looked at the MVP for its novelty (accepts double stack magazines), but the QC of mossberg scared me away. In addition to Nowski's post, here's another reason for the Ruger American, its super cheap on sale right now - $365 shipped.

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/152461

Literally just bought one because I still have a ton of 175gr FGMM/other 308 ammo I wouldn't mind blasting away with (rebarreled the Tikka to 6.5 Creedmoor awhile back - was my only 308 rifle). It doesn't seem like you can go wrong at that price.

July4th
08-25-16, 23:48
I also agree the Ruger American is tough to beat in that price class. Pillar bedding, adj trigger, and the modular stock system are hard to beat for that price point. IIRC the Predator version has a thredded barrel, 1913 scope mount, and comes in FDE or ODG. Held one at the LGS and was really impressed at the features for such an inexpensive rifle. I also think they make a compact version of the Predator model.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

MeanStreaker
08-26-16, 09:38
Alright, thanks to replies in here I'm now looking hard at a Ruger American Predator .308. I see a lot of good reviews.

Part of me still is in love with the MVP Scout using PMags - higher capacity, the ability to share with my AR10, and I have plenty.

But if the Ruger is superior, especially when it comes to accuracy..... the price on it is certainly attractive.

Nowski87
08-26-16, 10:04
I was reading up on the predators and more than a few people have hit targets out to 1k. Now I know you are looking for something short and handy the Predator has a 22 inch barrel. The ranch and compact have 18 inch barrels if length is a factor.

abso
08-26-16, 11:17
Alright, thanks to replies in here I'm now looking hard at a Ruger American Predator .308. I see a lot of good reviews.

Part of me still is in love with the MVP Scout using PMags - higher capacity, the ability to share with my AR10, and I have plenty.

But if the Ruger is superior, especially when it comes to accuracy..... the price on it is certainly attractive.

Another much higher quality rifle would be Tikka T3x lite. I'd consider taking a look at that before you buy, it's about $200 more, but you're getting a much better rifle. The Ruger will still be fine though. :p

MeanStreaker
08-26-16, 15:41
... Now I know you are looking for something short and handy the Predator has a 22 inch barrel. The ranch and compact have 18 inch barrels if length is a factor.

There is a .308 Ruger American Predator with an 18" barrel (still threaded). It's model 6974.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/models.html

williejc
08-28-16, 18:21
I suggest that you determine its resale or trade value which might be low and also figure out whether or not you'll need to spend money on specialized triggers. Anybody know how smoothly the rifle feeds from its detachable magazine?

linker711
09-02-16, 07:59

The mag compatibility is always nice on paper but I can tell you full size mags on a bolt gun get awkward fast. Even 10 rounders can get long if you are running a bipod. I run AICS mags and rarely do I stray from the 5 rounders.
As for your choice, I think the Ruger will be an excellent choice for a handy bush gun. Accuracy and price are hard to beat.

MeanStreaker
09-02-16, 08:27
So I went and looked at a Ruger American Predator 308 at a LGS and the stock was so crooked that at the muzzle-end of the stock, it rubbed the barrel A LOT. I guess for the price you can't expect much, but for a rifle that touts "free floating barrel" in all the spec sheets and ad copy, I was suprised it was that bad.

Not saying they're all bad, as I've seen a grand total of one. I still may go the American route, but I'll be sure to check out the one I'm buying rather than take a luck of the draw ordering online and shipping to my FFL.

Anyone else have this experience?