PDA

View Full Version : Cmmg mt/ht barrels or Achilles Arms barrels

ghostrider1
08-24-16, 16:18
Has anyone used one of these? Before we get into the "why not buy a bcm,bhw or wc", I'm NOT trying spend a fortune on this barrel but, I would also like it to be a DO ALL barrel. Living in Maryland, my profile has to be "hbar" or "heavy". I am currently reviewing my options as I really don't have too many. I haven't heard much about either barrel especially from Achilles arms, has anyone even heard of them??? I spoke to "Patrick" at Achilles arms who stated "We started this company last year to specialize in customized one-off barrels. Unfortunately, with the flood of 5.56 barrels on the market, we're usually not price competitive unless the requested barrel is fairly oddball. Our hottest sellers are 450 Bushmasters and, as of late, the .243 Win. seems to be getting more interest.

This barrel would be made out of a 17" blank from Green Mountain and we can get it in your choice of 1:7 or 1:8 twist. We have also used Douglas and Lothar Walther blanks at the specific request of past customers. We have even had customers ship us the blank that they want us to use".

Hopefully someone can give me some insight on this subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rapomstage3
08-24-16, 19:57
There's a law in your state for barrel profile???

ghostrider1
08-24-16, 20:11
There's a law in your state for barrel profile???

Yes!!! Unfortunately, there is that dumb law. It was mentioned on another thread here as well.

rapomstage3
08-24-16, 20:17
It makes sense. The lighter the barrel the deadlier the rounds coming out of it. If I had that disadvantage I would buy a 14.5" with the lightest of the heaviest profiles legally allowed. Pin on whatever you want that's legal. I'm only recommending the 14.5" to save a little weight. Green mountain is near me in NH. No personal experience but they claim to do things for well known companies. Can you get a govt profile? I'm blown away by that. Move as soon as you can. That is assinine. Sorry I'm no help.

ghostrider1
08-24-16, 20:37
Gov't profiles are out of the equation. The law strictly says "hbar or heavy barrel". My first though was just to grab a Faxon barrel but, I came across those others and gave them some thought. I'm not trying to break the bank but, don't want to buy a $20 barrel either. Lol! And yes, I'm trying to persuade my wife into leaving the hell hole of a state.