PDA

View Full Version : M&P, Aero, or PSA king of the budget ARs?

JG007
08-25-16, 17:44
I'm not an expert but when asked I recommend the M&P (but always suggest they spend a little more for a Colt) .

But the Aero does seem to have good specs and a fairly good reputation. For argument sake if you get one of the premium PSA's with the FN barrel and better bcg it would look good on paper but I'd want someone skilled to look over it for potential QC issues.

So what is the best recommendation for a first time owner in the $500-$600 range?

firefighter37
08-25-16, 18:07
My advice to someone with a $500-$600 budget would be to keep saving your pennies.

Colt OEM1 or OEM2 is the best deal going, in my opinion, if you can find them.

I don't know why Aero has such a solid reputation, they are budget level parts, and it shows. When Grant at G and R sells BCM complete lowers for $380, how much can you possibly be saving by buying Aero? I think Aero costs more money, because you are wasting $$$ on crap.

chamber143
08-25-16, 18:12
My advice to someone with a $500-$600 budget would be to keep saving your pennies.

Colt OEM1 or OEM2 is the best deal going, in my opinion, if you can find them.

This. Not sure I would want to have one for less than the colts are going for. U can't even really build one for less than 8 that I would bet my life on. Hell my last one cost me 2700 finished. To me colts 6920 is budget priced but not a budget rifle.

JG007
08-25-16, 20:43
I covered the colt disclaimer

But I still want to know the best of the budget guns, I won't get one but many first time owners will, and the m&p generally has a good rep. Might as well point them towards the one with the least negatives.

Maybe I should have asked if anything beats the m&p at the price point

firefighter37
08-25-16, 20:45
In that case, M&P is a safe bet.

crusader377
08-25-16, 21:08
I think technically a PSA Premium has the best specs which on their premium line is very close to colt/bcm on paper. That said, PSA's quality control/assembly quality and customer services doesn't have the same reputation that S&W has and although the M&P 15 sport has more commercial spec features such as a 1:9 twist 4140 barrel, it seems that the M&P Sport are more consistent in terms of build quality and attention to detail. Don't know to much about Aero Precision.

If I was buying I would go with the PSA due to the better specs and since I feel comfortable troubleshooting the rifle if need be. For a first time buyer however, I would go with the M&P Sport.

Another contender for the best budget AR is the Armalite Defender 15 series.
https://armalite.com/shop/defensive-sporting-rifle-15f/

al800
08-25-16, 21:31
I covered the colt disclaimer

But I still want to know the best of the budget guns, I won't get one but many first time owners will, and the m&p generally has a good rep. Might as well point them towards the one with the least negatives.

Maybe I should have asked if anything beats the m&p at the price point

If you're looking for "an AR" and like 95% of owners, no. (no carbine classes, 1k rounds a year or less)

In that specific low-end price point, they're a fine option.

IMO, "buy once, cry once" is valid in just about everything, but the reality is plinkers and very casual gun owners are going to have a tough time paying $200 more for a rollmark and some other details they don't understand. I think more ARs are better for us, and I sure would hate to see someone write off the platform based on cost, when they could spend $600 and have a functional rifle. Hopefully they get the bug like everyone here and become involved. Again, IMO, more exposure the better.

M&Ps run fine, if a little rough, and S&W will take care of you if they don't. I try and be a good friend and suggest a higher end builder, but if they're price sensitive, better a cheap functional AR than no AR at all.

wildcard600
08-25-16, 22:40
M&P

A first time owner especially needs something that doesn't suck. PSA can turn out acceptable uppers, but also puts out alot of garbage. I have no experience with Aero .

Best answer is for them to save a bit more and just get a Colt as was mentioned, but of the three I would choose S&W.

teksid
08-26-16, 06:52
I have a M&P sport that runs fine and is very accurate. No experience with Aero.
If I were buying ONE rifle I would go with the PSA premium.

zecropper
08-26-16, 07:29
M&Ps feel like garbage compared to my Aero. M&ps work but that's about it for me. I got my Aero M4E1 on sale. Usually 900 some bucks. I got it for 775 out the door. They build to order and I'm a bit over 1000 into it now after optics and mags.

But it's been a great rifle. That's not to say there aren't others that are better. Just going off of my experience
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160826/b55c86a20a3ca5ab0c1b8d7a73e31feb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegademiC
08-26-16, 07:49
If you know what to look for, or know someone who does, the psa is a decent deal. Just check assembly, and staking.

^Did the mp have m4 handgaurd vs the rail on your gun? I'm trying to figure how one companies can feel like crap vs anothers.

themonk
08-26-16, 07:52
M&P - the other two's customer service is nonexistent

hotrodder636
08-26-16, 08:09
For a full carbine/rifle, of the 3 listed I would recommend the M&P based on brand history and reputation with customer service. I have had good experiences with Aero customer service though--order issue only, not equipment related.

I have found it very difficult to convince people who are very casual shooters (someone who wants an AR just to have one) that there are quality and manufacturing differences worth $200+ more in the Colt than the basement budget models. Desired use is different for everyone and a vast market is our friend (think cars and trucks). Honestly some of the guys I know who have bought ARs recently shoot less than 120 rounds a year, so for them the hobby-grade should work just fine.

zecropper
08-26-16, 08:12
If you know what to look for, or know someone who does, the psa is a decent deal. Just check assembly, and staking.

^Did the mp have m4 handgaurd vs the rail on your gun? I'm trying to figure how one companies can feel like crap vs anothers.

The M&P I messed with just felt cheap and rattled. Didn't feel solid to me.

Customer service is great but so has Aeros for me.

Falar
08-26-16, 08:14
I think technically a PSA Premium has the best specs which on their premium line is very close to colt/bcm on paper. That said, PSA's quality control/assembly quality and customer services doesn't have the same reputation that S&W has and although the M&P 15 sport has more commercial spec features such as a 1:9 twist 4140 barrel, it seems that the M&P Sport are more consistent in terms of build quality and attention to detail. Don't know to much about Aero Precision.

If I was buying I would go with the PSA due to the better specs and since I feel comfortable troubleshooting the rifle if need be. For a first time buyer however, I would go with the M&P Sport.

Another contender for the best budget AR is the Armalite Defender 15 series.
https://armalite.com/shop/defensive-sporting-rifle-15f/

I've been wanting to get my hands on a DEF15 to check one out. A few weeks ago a large seller on GB let a few go for 569 and while I was waffling, both sold. The only ? for me on it are:

Are they still using AR15 instead of M16 carrier?
What RE are they using? Not much of an issue for me, but will be for others. All the stocks come either milspec or commercial and my preferred stock (UBR) comes with a tube anyway. Also, 6060 vs 7075 I've never seen an RE break.

Other than that, good luck finding anything else at that price with 1:7 twist, 4150, chrome lined, etc.

themonk
08-26-16, 08:16
Customer service is great but so has Aeros for me.

As in you have had a failure with the weapon and they fixed it no questions asked?? Or you just thought the sales guy and the website were cool?

If a failure please list the failure, Aero's resolution, method of contact along with the timeframe.

austinN4
08-26-16, 08:18
If I were buying ONE rifle I would go with the PSA premium.

Why didn't you? Or did you? Can't tell from your post.

zecropper
08-26-16, 08:21
As in you have had a failure with the weapon and they fixed it no questions asked?? Or you just thought the sales guy and the website were cool?

If a failure please list the failure, Aero's resolution, method of contact along with the timeframe.

My buffer spring shed a coil after 750 (granted it still ran fine but was just a bit shorter.) rounds. I called the same day and they next day shipped me a new buffer spring no questions asked. I also spoke with their tech guy and let them know just in case it was a supplier/manufacturer problem.

teksid
08-26-16, 09:12
Why didn't you? Or did you? Can't tell from your post.

Yes. I also have a PSA premium. It only has 600 rounds through it, but no issues.
I would pick the PSA out of those Three mainly because of The FN barrel and the Mil-spec BCG.

SomeOtherGuy
08-26-16, 10:28
"King of the budget ARs" must rank up there with jumbo shrimp, mighty midgets, honest politicians, clean coal, fair trade, etc.

S&W makes an OK product and has systematic customer service, but I have seen dimensional issues in several of their rifles. Not severe enough to prevent function, but something I don't consider acceptable.

I've owned a number of PSA uppers. Some were well assembled, some had issues, most often FSB alignment (not vertical). One of their BCGs, years ago, was dimensionally off in a way that prevented function, but was not obvious just in looking at it. They have great specs on paper but lack the quality control of more prestigious brands. Their customer service is also hit or miss. Caveat emptor.

I would think that Ruger and Windham Weaponry would be on a list of better cheap ARs, though I haven't owned their products. Likewise, Armalite makes a pretty decent product in the moderate price range.

I'm sure why Aero Precision gets so much grief here. I have a bunch of their stuff and haven't found actual defects in any of it made since 2012. I think their handguards and uppers are innovative. The current barrels seem to be well made for the price point. I do have two of their older lowers (c. 2010) and those have a minor dimensional issue, which I only discovered when trying to use one of them with a buttstock that also has a dimensional issue in the opposite direction, and way back then the anodizing wasn't great. But I haven't seen those issues on their newer products (again, since roughly 2012). I've also found their customer service to be pleasant and reasonably responsive (I have used it for shipping and ordering issues, not quality problems).

Still, at current prices the best advice is to save a few more pennies and get either a Colt OEM model or a BCM setup. Modest additional cost for much more confidence inspiring quality control, at least if you want a basic setup.

Falar
08-26-16, 10:32
Still, at current prices the best advice is to save a few more pennies and get either a Colt OEM model or a BCM setup. Modest additional cost for much more confidence inspiring quality control, at least if you want a basic setup.

OEM2 all day.

abso
08-26-16, 10:59
I have a bunch of PSA lowers I've put together which all went together great. Just stay away from PTAC. The parts they use are obviously inferior (broken a few detents in their LPK myself, I think a hammer has surface rust after sitting in a closet).

The OEM colts are great if you're just going to put a hand guard on the rifle, but once you put on an A5 buffet tube, then replace the trigger, maybe put an lmt enhanced bolt carrier, replace the grip, replace the barrel and barrel nut, and finally replace the flash hider, I think building your own rifle makes more sense at that point. Both aero and PSA premium are fine for most people's use case imo.

If you look at TOS, there is a thread about Battlefield Las Vegas - they say the PSA parts actually hold up quite well. Mrgunsansgear also mentions this in a recent video as well I believe when interviewing an armorer.

As far as which one is the best, they all have their strengths. Aero's barrels seem to be of higher quality if you want something more than a government contour. That being said, I'd buy PSAs premium BCGs and LPKs over aero's. PSA lowest seem to be more consistently in spec than older Aero lowers. I'd probably buy a new Aero AR10 (once they figure out their shit) over PSA, but S&W would be the safer of the 3 there.

Falar
08-26-16, 11:05
I have a bunch of PSA lowers I've put together which all went together great. Just stay away from PTAC. The parts they use are obviously inferior (broken a few detents in their LPK myself, I think a hammer has surface rust after sitting in a closet).

The OEM colts are great if you're just going to put a hand guard on the rifle, but once you put on an A5 buffet tube, then replace the trigger, maybe put an lmt enhanced bolt carrier, replace the grip, replace the barrel and barrel nut, and finally replace the flash hider, I think building your own rifle makes more sense at that point. Both aero and PSA premium are fine for most people's use case imo.

The only reason they come with the A2 grip I assume is to hold the safety spring and they only cost 3-5 dollars anyway. Same for the A2--those are virtually free and will protect the threads/muzzle.

Yes, buying an OEM Colt would be a terrible idea if for some reason you didn't want any of the gun. If for some reason the carrier and barrel were something you weren't interested in buy something else.

misfit47
08-26-16, 11:10
Hesse. Ftw!:jester:

I'd go with m&p over a psa. Aero? Same as every other. If I went that route, I'd buy an oem from brownells. Personally I would buy a colt 6920 oem before the others. I encourage my friends to letme spend/save their money.

Kent Odd
08-26-16, 11:28
My first AR was a Colt 6920 complete.
My second was a PSA complete.
My third was a DD URG.

The PSA lower fit was very loose, so I replaced the lower with an Aero and it fits/functions perfect.
This PSA (with the FN barrel I believe) is actually slightly more accurate than the Colt, but less accurate than the DD.
However, the PSA is over gassed (dented brass at 1pm). I replaced the spring with JP and buffer with H2 (3-4 pm ejection without dents). The bolt also needed gas ring replacement. I have about 2k rounds through the PSA. I have had no problems with reliability/function, it always goes bang. It is still a third string rifle that gets used by my boys at the range or in a class.

Ironically, the PSA lower, that was very loose, actually fit the DD URG perfectly. I think the DD take down holes were slightly out-of-spec. This DD URG/PSA lower is now my 3-gun rifle. It is very much my favorite. Light weight, accurate, reliable.

In summary, I have been satisfied with both PSA, Aero as budget products, but if I had to do it again, I would just get a another Colt.

feraldog
08-26-16, 11:56
...I think the DD take down holes were slightly out-of-spec...

weird. my experience with DD URGs is that they have had the closest tolerance take-down holes of any i've owned in 40 years of ARs. guess you got a very rare one. bummer.

jsharp
08-26-16, 12:35
I put a couple of guns together in the last couple weeks using PSA parts kits. One was a complete rifle kit less the stripped lower and one was just the lower parts kits that got used with a Delton lower. The parts in the PSA kits were adequate and there weren't any assembly issues with them. Would I compare them to buying an off the shelf Colt? No way. But I'd take the complete rifle kit that went on an Anderson lower before I'd buy an equivalently priced rifle off the shelf. We're talking right at $500 ready to shoot.

Kent Odd
08-26-16, 12:38
I tried a Colt lower and a Noveske lower and neither fit (without a hammer and punch)
but the PSA lower fit, and it shoots great with less weight (I like the keymod rail)
that is, "tastes great" and "less filling"

Sqr
08-26-16, 18:19
M&Ps feel like garbage compared to my Aero. M&ps work but that's about it for me. I got my Aero M4E1 on sale. Usually 900 some bucks. I got it for 775 out the door. They build to order and I'm a bit over 1000 into it now after optics and mags.

But it's been a great rifle. That's not to say there aren't others that are better. Just going off of my experience
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160826/b55c86a20a3ca5ab0c1b8d7a73e31feb.jpg

Aero Precision make the receivers for some major manufacturers we all know and admire.

abso
08-26-16, 18:36
Aero Precision make the receivers for some major manufacturers we all know and admire.

Actually wasn't Aero Precision making some lowers for PSA at one point (specifically the lowers with the stranger rollmarks)?

Uprange41
08-26-16, 18:49
I'd recommend an M&P before a PSA. New owners don't need headaches, and M&P's typically aren't a headache. Generally non-standard components, but from what I've seen, they're consistently machined and assembled.

Aero's basic guns are what, $650? Probably not bad, their specs look good, but I don't have much direct experience. Only handled two, and never shot them.

t15
08-26-16, 19:35
I've seen multiple sales on M&P15's for under 600, as low as $500. I would not pay more than $550 for any new budget AR when a complete 6920, 6720, or OEM series can be had at $800. I can save $300 and we're not talking about shopping for the cheapest socks at Wal-Mart.

rocket 442
08-26-16, 20:02
Actually wasn't Aero Precision making some lowers for PSA at one point (specifically the lowers with the stranger rollmarks)?

The Aero manufactured PSA lowers have an AP prefix serial number.

WillBrink
08-26-16, 20:18
I'd recommend an M&P before a PSA. New owners don't need headaches, and M&P's typically aren't a headache. Generally non-standard components, but from what I've seen, they're consistently machined and assembled.

Aero's basic guns are what, $650? Probably not bad, their specs look good, but I don't have much direct experience. Only handled two, and never shot them.

I don't know the CS of PSA, but I do know that of S&W, and if one has a problem, they will make it right. That's a part of my buying decision calculations.

MegademiC
08-26-16, 20:45
I'm going to go for round 2 on this one. Coming from someone who lived off $60/mo on groceries, especially for the first time owner, save your pennies.

Unless you need it NOW, skip whatever you waste money on and buy quality the first time. $300 is not much money.

It's 1 month of bullshit for a machine that could save your life, and you can hand down to the grandkids. Worth the tradeoff?

al800
08-26-16, 22:25
Generally non-standard components, but from what I've seen, they're consistently machined and assembled.

I know the buffer tube is commercial, but I thought they ran a auto carrier? Don't quote me on that, don't have one in front of me to verify.

What else am I missing?

Uprange41
08-26-16, 23:18
I don't know the CS of PSA, but I do know that of S&W, and if one has a problem, they will make it right. That's a part of my buying decision calculations.
Yep. I've never dealt with S&W's customer service, but I personally know a handful of people who have, and it's been positive every time.

I know the buffer tube is commercial, but I thought they ran a auto carrier? Don't quote me on that, don't have one in front of me to verify.

What else am I missing?
The RE is milspec, but more likely than not it's 6061. They also use untested 1/9 4140 barrels, semi-auto carriers, they batch HP test their bolts, the guns seem quite overgassed, and if I really wanted to get nitpicky, they use an integral trigger guard, which I hate. They seem to exhibit a level of assembly competence that other manufacturers struggle with, though, so I'll take lower-end specs with quality assembly over the opposite (read; "PSA").

Livefreeordie92
08-26-16, 23:26
Honestly, those SOLGW patrol uppers look really nice and are ready to go with a rear sight and handguards. With their discount they have going now, I think that one of those uppers on a PSA blem complete lower would beat out all three of those options. But I always say save up just a bit more and explain the differences.

MWAG19919
08-27-16, 10:42
You won't find a whole lot of people talking about ACTUAL problems with the M&P 15. Just a lot of bitching about specs and lack of FA & DC.

Personally, I'm in the "buy a bare bones SOLGW/BCM/DD upper & BCG and mate it with a blem PSA lower" camp as well, but if the new owner is too timid to snap two halves together then I'm sure they'll be happy with a complete S&W. Some people want a gun but aren't "gun people", so if all they'll spend on a gun is $500-600 then they just ain't gonna get TDP specs.

Same thing goes for building a gaming PC. You could spend $400 on a budget build that gets you 1080P 60FPS most of the time (but will be obsolete in a couple years max), or you could spend $3000 on a system that would kick ass for several years. A casual gamer just doesn't care that much.

QuickStrike
08-27-16, 12:07
I'm going to go for round 2 on this one. Coming from someone who lived off $60/mo on groceries, especially for the first time owner, save your pennies.

Unless you need it NOW, skip whatever you waste money on and buy quality the first time. $300 is not much money.

It's 1 month of bullshit for a machine that could save your life, and you can hand down to the grandkids. Worth the tradeoff?

+1!

People used to save up for months and months for a decent quality musket. Same for swords.

Quality weapons were never really budget priced, ever in history.

Cutting costs on a budget rifle, then spending more than it's worth on optics, lights, rails, etc... make no sense to me. The main working parts of the machine are still budget quality.

But hey, some people like to soup up honda civics rather than buying an already fast car so...

WillBrink
08-27-16, 12:20
Yep. I've never dealt with S&W's customer service, but I personally know a handful of people who have, and it's been positive every time.

Machines break, all machines. Me, if I have a choice between similar products and company A known for top shelf CS and company B not so much or an unknown, It's company A. I'm always surprised how few people will even think about that aspect on purchasing. I was an adjunct instructor at S&W Academy for a year and both experienced and saw first hand the level of CS.

JG007
08-27-16, 14:24

If you look at TOS, there is a thread about Battlefield Las Vegas - they say the PSA parts actually hold up quite well. Mrgunsansgear also mentions this in a recent video as well I believe when interviewing an armorer.

As far as which one is the best, they all have their strengths. Aero's barrels seem to be of higher quality if you want something more than a government contour. That being said, I'd buy PSAs premium BCGs and LPKs over aero's. PSA lowest seem to be more consistently in spec than older Aero lowers. I'd probably buy a new Aero AR10 (once they figure out their shit) over PSA, but S&W would be the safer of the 3 there.

Regarding battlefield Vegas, that goes back to psa offering great specs but unknown QC, since they have a full time staff it's irrelevant, vs a first time owner that doesn't know how to fire it.

Many, maybe half, of the non Leo AR owners I know have literally never shot their gun.

It's like a guitar, just feels cool to be able to say you have one ™

mjpgolf1
08-27-16, 21:14
The hate for Aero obviously comes with a lack of knowledge or handling of their products. Their "budget" rifle has much better specs than the M&P by a mile and I wouldn't hesitate to put it a step above the PSA premium just because of fit and finish on the Aero being better. I would bet that some people hating on Aero are probably shooting a gun that Aero built parts on that they don't even know. Their "budget" AR comes with a 4150 steel 1/7 twist CMV barrel, full auto M16 BCG that is HPT and MPI that is properly staked and the bolt is made from high quality 158 carpenter tool steel, just like all the best of the best that we all rave about. Their receivers are machined and finished beautifully with a smooth and very durable anodized finish, which the uppers have a set screw to give you the option to really tighten down the fit of the upper and lower receivers, which is a nice option to have. Lots of high end ARs have slop in the fitment of the receivers so Aero did a nice job trying to eliminate this. The only thing they are missing is the history that comes with companies like Colt. But I would bet my life with an Aero AR just as well as I would with a Colt and surely more so than an M&P sport or PSA.

Not trying to start a war over this, but if you haven't checked out Aero stuff lately maybe it's time to take another look. They are really doing a great job and have some innovative stuff on the market.

themonk
08-27-16, 21:37
The hate for Aero obviously comes with a lack of knowledge or handling of their products. Their "budget" rifle has much better specs than the M&P by a mile and I wouldn't hesitate to put it a step above the PSA premium just because of fit and finish on the Aero being better. I would bet that some people hating on Aero are probably shooting a gun that Aero built parts on that they don't even know. Their "budget" AR comes with a 4150 steel 1/7 twist CMV barrel, full auto M16 BCG that is HPT and MPI that is properly staked and the bolt is made from high quality 158 carpenter tool steel, just like all the best of the best that we all rave about. Their receivers are machined and finished beautifully with a smooth and very durable anodized finish, which the uppers have a set screw to give you the option to really tighten down the fit of the upper and lower receivers, which is a nice option to have. Lots of high end ARs have slop in the fitment of the receivers so Aero did a nice job trying to eliminate this. The only thing they are missing is the history that comes with companies like Colt. But I would bet my life with an Aero AR just as well as I would with a Colt and surely more so than an M&P sport or PSA.

Not trying to start a war over this, but if you haven't checked out Aero stuff lately maybe it's time to take another look. They are really doing a great job and have some innovative stuff on the market.

Wow - I am sure aero is super happy with your resounding endorsement. You really sound like you know your stuff!

Hank6046
08-27-16, 21:38
Aero. I've handled products from all and have ordered quite a bit from Palmetto State. Its the 4150 steel barrel and the 8620 bolt carrier with a 158 bolt for $650 that ultimately makes this decision for me. While PSA has similar specs I don't think they have the quality controls Aero does.

Hank6046
08-27-16, 21:40
Sorry, I should have read a few posts ahead and just seconded.

mjpgolf1
08-27-16, 22:05
Aero. I've handled products from all and have ordered quite a bit from Palmetto State. Its the 4150 steel barrel and the 8620 bolt carrier with a 158 bolt for $650 that ultimately makes this decision for me. While PSA has similar specs I don't think they have the quality controls Aero does.

Palmetto does put out nice stuff, not only for the price, but nice stuff in general. It just seems like they grew a bit too fast and haven't been able to concentrate on both putting out enough product to fill the demand, and making sure that product is the best they can produce when it heads out the door on the way to the customer. I've had several parts kits show up with parts missing, along with machining and fit and finish issues with some of their stuff. That said I've also received stuff that was as nice as anything out there from them so it's not that they "can't" put out quality, it's that they just seem to miss quite a few marks trying to keep up.

MWAG19919
08-27-16, 22:06

Those are some impressive specs for the money. Just curious, do they test parts individually?

mjpgolf1
08-27-16, 22:26
Those are some impressive specs for the money. Just curious, do they test parts individually?

That I can't answer.

Hank6046
08-27-16, 22:34
Palmetto does put out nice stuff, not only for the price, but nice stuff in general. It just seems like they grew a bit too fast and haven't been able to concentrate on both putting out enough product to fill the demand, and making sure that product is the best they can produce when it heads out the door on the way to the customer. I've had several parts kits show up with parts missing, along with machining and fit and finish issues with some of their stuff. That said I've also received stuff that was as nice as anything out there from them so it's not that they "can't" put out quality, it's that they just seem to miss quite a few marks trying to keep up.

I've got a complete blem'd lower from PSA that works exceptionally well and paid only $150 (approximately) but over all I really like the Aero stuff, I've shot their Ar 308 and was very impressed with the 1 Moa group I got at 200 yrds. I got to shoot the AC-15 (budget AR) and found it to be very smooth for a $650 AR.

firefighter37
08-27-16, 22:50

The hate for Aero obviously comes with lack of knowledge or handling of their products... Not hardly, I believe I have both knowledge, and have had my hands on enough of their products to know that they are nothing special, and are just as good, but no better than any of the other bottom tier AR manufacturers out there.

I wouldn't trust my life to any of these shit ARs (PSA, S&W, Aero, Bushmaster DPMS) especially when there are other options for not much more. The shittiest AR I own is a 6920, which is still better than any of the above mentioned rifles. Colt may know a thing or two about building ARs, and a beautiful, smooth finish is just not a high priority.

Let's face it, someone who is worried about saving $300 is not going to spring for the ammo to make a sub standard rifle show its faults, so this argument is all for nothing...

JG007
08-28-16, 00:48
Aren't they likely to shoot steel, pmc, foreign stuff, etc?

zecropper
08-28-16, 01:25
Colt fanboys are just as bad as the Glock kiddies[emoji23][emoji23]. The Aero M4E1/M5 rifles are good middle of the road rifles for a solid price. My rifle was technically touching 1000 after shipping/taxes but I got it on sale so it was a few hundred off. I'm not sure how their entry level rifle runs but judging by the quality of mine, I'm sure it's a solid gun. I've run PMC and nothing but FMJ reloads through it and have not had a single malfunction. I usually use nicer stuff for zeroing but once I've confirmed zero is when the cheap stuff I have laying around comes out. I won't touch Winchester white box and junk like that though.

The ONLY issue I had was the end of the buffer spring broke after 700 rounds but I took out the two small pieces and the rifle ran like a champ after that. I called aero and within 5 minutes I had a new buffer spring on the way no questions asked. I honestly was going to let it go since springs are cheap but I wanted to tell the tech guys and builders there just in case there was an issue with the supplier they use

mjpgolf1
08-28-16, 07:12
The hate for Aero obviously comes with lack of knowledge or handling of their products... Not hardly, I believe I have both knowledge, and have had my hands on enough of their products to know that they are nothing special, and are just as good, but no better than any of the other bottom tier AR manufacturers out there.

I wouldn't trust my life to any of these shit ARs (PSA, S&W, Aero, Bushmaster DPMS) especially when there are other options for not much more. The shittiest AR I own is a 6920, which is still better than any of the above mentioned rifles. Colt may know a thing or two about building ARs, and a beautiful, smooth finish is just not a high priority.

Let's face it, someone who is worried about saving $300 is not going to spring for the ammo to make a sub standard rifle show its faults, so this argument is all for nothing...

We aren't talking about the high end best of the best ARs here man. The original post was asking about comparing the S&W to the PSA and the Aero. So obviously we aren't talking about someone who needs a "war machine" here. Keep in mind that the AR is now a very popular gun with your everyday businessman who wants to own a gun that will be reliable enough for some fun weekend shooting and maybe a light carbine course from time to time. Something that will reliably go bang in a home defense situation if need be. Not everyone wakes up in the morning flexing in the mirror dressed in camo hoping that today is the day the world will become chaotic so they can go out and really put that high end AR thru its paces. "not a direct shot at you firefighter, just a general observation about how AR snobs can be a bit over the top"

mjpgolf1
08-28-16, 08:03
Another thing here. I hear the phrase "bet my life" used here all the time. The AR platform in even its most simple form as an entry level rifle is extremely reliable. I watch CCW pistols that people are waaaaay more apt to have to "bet their life on" have misfeeds, FTE, FTF, etc, all the time from all brands of pistol makers, and these guns are being carried everyday all day by the same people that say they don't trust these inexpensive AR-15s. In my 20 years of being pretty serious into guns and shooting I have had I think 1 or 2 issues with a round not going off in an AR-15. So what's the deal with this "bet my life" stuff? The likeliness that someone here in the US is going to have to actually "bet their life" on any AR is almost non existent. Even if someone is in the military actually heading off to combat, they aren't going to show up with their M&P sport and say "ok let's get it on here". They are going to be issued a military rifle. I see a certain degree of product snobs in all of my hobbies "guns, cars, watches, knives, lights, guitars" but it seems like AR people are really bad with this.

JC5188
08-28-16, 08:35
Deleted...tapatalk doesn't play well with "cut and paste".

JC5188
08-28-16, 08:40
Tapa issues

JC5188
08-28-16, 08:49

The "lack of knowledge" begins at post #11.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?180072-Aero-Precision-308-quality

Poor assembly, and use of known bad parts are a theme across the lower tier and cost ARs, regardless of caliber.

This is a professional use forum. It is not M4hobby.net
You won't get many people recommending anything less than the minimum acceptable for that purpose.

WillBrink
08-28-16, 09:00

Poor assembly, and use of known bad parts are a theme across the lower tier and cost ARs, regardless of caliber.

You won't get many people recommending anything less than the minimum acceptable for that purpose.

Which brings us full circle to the Colt 6920 ;)

JC5188
08-28-16, 09:14
Which brings us full circle to the Colt 6920 ;)

Lol...really isn't that complicated.

[emoji14]

Alnamvet68
08-28-16, 09:19

Since less than 1/2 of one percent of the US population have or are serving in the US military, and less than 0.003% of the US population serve as sworn law enforcement officers (Federal, state, and local combined), dare I ask what percent of forum members use the AR15 in a professional capacity in their daily lives.

mjpgolf1
08-28-16, 10:00

Professional use forum? Really. You're living in a combat GI Joe fantasy land. I would bet that more than 90% of the people on here have regular jobs, enjoy shooting casually, and will never see any kind of carbine course let alone "professional" use. I get being serious about your equipment. I too like having and owning top quality stuff. But the reality is that this IS for the most part a hobby forum. I'm sure there are a small percent of law enforcement and military here but the masses here are just regular folks who enjoy their "hobby" of buying, building, and shooting the AR platform and other weapons.

mjpgolf1
08-28-16, 10:11

Also I can search and find a bad review on anything. Not that it matters but we are talking about 556 rifles here and not 308. I've heard of lots of companies putting out great rifles chambered in 556 but their 308 platforms have issues. PSA is included in that. If you research you will see lots of machining and figment issues with their 308 guns but lots of great reviews on their 556. I still stand by my claim that Aero puts out a great rifle for an under $1000 price point that has great specs and superior fit and finish. The general consensus on AP gear is that it's GTG. Again we aren't comparing it to a $2k Daniel Defense gun. We're talking about sub $1k rifles. If you and others are strictly buying and shooting "professional use" rifles then this probably isn't a thread that you need to take part in. To 99% of AR users out there the Aero stuff will serve them well and is a nice option to the S&W M&P Sport, Ruger AR556, and PSA guns. We are lucky to have so many great options on the market now a days.

zecropper
08-28-16, 11:03
Keyboard GI joes are my favorite.

joeyjoe
08-28-16, 11:06
Why on earth is anyone talking about a sub 1000 dollar rifle that isn't a Colt 6920?

themonk
08-28-16, 11:15
Why on earth is anyone talking about a sub 1000 dollar rifle that isn't a Colt 6920?

Given. OP had a legitimate question and recived some legitimate answers now we are off in never never land.

Uprange41
08-28-16, 11:21

Because people we love or care about will fight to the end to avoid spending more than $600 on an AR15, and no matter how hard we try to not care... we care.

I get it. We get it... 6920 OEM for $750, BCM or SIONICS lower for $395 until they can buy an upper, or just nut up and save the money... But they don' get that.

So there was some decent discussion about budget guns that are generally more consistent, customer service, the importance of assembly competence vs. listed specs, etc... But it appears we're now just saying that nobody here actually needs anything but Aero, and that we only hate Aero because we're fantasy GI Joes.

JSantoro
08-28-16, 11:22
Replace "use" with "grade."

Then build a bridge and get over yourselves. If you want to talk TOS topics, then go to TOS, don't try to bring it here. It's unwelcome, and you agreed to abide by the rules and practices of this forum; we didn't agree to abide by the odd hard-on some folks have for "budget" anything.

We've had reasonable, productive threads regarding equipment that doesn't necessarily make the mark for duty-grade. This would not be one of them, since it's turned out the "just as good as" crowd.