PDA

View Full Version : How do I get an upper shipped and paid for

Hank6046
08-26-16, 07:16
I'm hoping that this is the right place for posting this. I found a 20" Upper in the next state on Armslist and he is willing to ship it to me. The issue is how to pay and how to track that he did indeed put it in the mail. I really don't want to just send him the money because I have seen so many Craigslist scams. Any ideas on what is the best way to go about this?

HeruMew
08-26-16, 07:39
Paypal.

Normal transaction, have them label it as "metal" on the description. Your protected if it's not shipped out and can reclaim the transaction funds.

Any form of shipping, with tracking and insurance, would be best. Faster you want it, spendier it be, of course. :)

Granted, paypal can still have it's risks, but it protects the buyer.

Averageman
08-26-16, 08:29
USPS Money order?
I bought a NIB Scope from a Member here. The scope was rather expensive, so there was a matter of trust. We exchanged Phone Numbers and I texted him a photo of the money order as it went in the box at the Post Office.
So he had my name, address, phone number, money order number and the amount and we stayed in contact.
He got his money and I got my scope. Could it have went sideways, yes, but it didn't.

Zim
08-26-16, 08:38
If you're that worried, and depending how far the next state over is, you could go pick it up face-to-face.

austinN4
08-26-16, 08:39
USPS Money order?

I bought a NIB Scope from a Member here. The scope was rather expensive, so there was a matter of trust. We exchanged Phone Numbers and I texted him a photo of the money order as it went in the box at the Post Office. So he had my name, address, phone number, money order number and the amount and we stayed in contact. He got his money and I got my scope. Could it have went sideways, yes, but it didn't.

I had a similar transaction out of state when I sold a high end scope. Very similar to what you described. There is always some element of trust involved unless you do cash FTF.

We exchanged information and from it I was able to check the guy out on Google. He was property owner which I was able to verify thru his county's RE records. That made me feel better. He sent me a bank-certified check and I sent him the scope. Everyone was happy. But there is always some amount of risk involved.

I always ask if buyers have feedback on any forums, not just here, and try to gain some trust that way also. I ask for Ebay user names so I can check out their feedback there also.

Averageman
08-26-16, 09:05
We were both happy to find a buyer and a seller. Treated each other with mutual respect and the transaction went smoothly.
Anywhere along the line if it starts to look hinky, you can always bow out.
I've never had an issue with anyone here and I always left good feed back when it was called for.

Kenneth
08-26-16, 09:48
USPS Money order?
I bought a NIB Scope from a Member here. The scope was rather expensive, so there was a matter of trust. We exchanged Phone Numbers and I texted him a photo of the money order as it went in the box at the Post Office.
So he had my name, address, phone number, money order number and the amount and we stayed in contact.
He got his money and I got my scope. Could it have went sideways, yes, but it didn't.

This.

I have bought several high end items off of forums and always did it this way. I bought my HK45 and CZ Shadow custom this way and the checks were both over $1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam
08-26-16, 10:24
For those that have had no problem buying or selling on this forum, you've been lucky and that's probably because you do your homework prior to making the transaction. We have had a few complaints and we have banned several scam crooks, most recently earlier this month.

I've read many warnings about Armslist, so I wouldn't even go to the site. There is rarely anything on this earth that you can't find elsewhere. If the original poster really can't live without the upper that was advertised on Armslist, he should do his homework such as checking the feedback on the seller. If the seller has dozen or hundred of sales with all positive feedbacks then he's probably good to go. If the seller is new with very low transaction count, I would be suspicious. He may be just a new guy and perfectly honest, but he could also be a new scammer.

HeruMew
08-26-16, 12:11
For those that have had no problem buying or selling on this forum, you've been lucky and that's probably because you do your homework prior to making the transaction. We have had a few complaints and we have banned several scam crooks, most recently earlier this month.

I've read many warnings about Armslist, so I wouldn't even go to the site. There is rarely anything on this earth that you can't find elsewhere. If the original poster really can't live without the upper that was advertised on Armslist, he should do his homework such as checking the feedback on the seller. If the seller has dozen or hundred of sales with all positive feedbacks then he's probably good to go. If the seller is new with very low transaction count, I would be suspicious. He may be just a new guy and perfectly honest, but he could also be a new scammer.

There was a guy selling a Bushmaster "Optics Ready Compensated Tactical Upper" (it had all standard A2 besides a drop in 2 piece quad rail) listed at $450 on Armslist locally.

When I told him I would give him two hundred for the upper with A2 Furny, he got pretty butt hurt when I explained to him why I got my prices.

When he started dropping gunbroker links for used uppers, I gave up trying to reason with the guy.

Used bushy upper, with who knows how many down the tube, without a matching lower and no explanation of why they wanna sell it and why it's valued at around 100 (or less) short of a brand new complete rifle, twas a joke.

Hank6046
08-26-16, 20:49
Thanks for all the help. I've only done face to face over Armslist before and I think paypal is probably the way to go. I when I was in Marines I had a Marine send a lady $1,500 to have a truck shipped from Northern CA to base on Craigslist and got burned. Obviously just issuing a cashiers check was out of the question.

jbjh
08-27-16, 01:05
Thanks for all the help. I've only done face to face over Armslist before and I think paypal is probably the way to go. I when I was in Marines I had a Marine send a lady $1,500 to have a truck shipped from Northern CA to base on Craigslist and got burned. Obviously just issuing a cashiers check was out of the question.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, just note the product as "metal", nothing else. And DO NOT use the friends and family payment. Pay the extra 3% to cover yourself with Paypal's policies. There is no dispute clause available via friends and family.

Sent from 80ms in the future
Jimmy

Alex V
08-27-16, 08:57
USPS Money order?

The first transaction I had on this forum was for a scope and it was over a grand as well. The buyer asked for a USPS MO. I have to be honest I was a bit uncomfortable but he appeared to be reputable and was a site sponsor. He got his money and I got my scope a few days later, exactly as described. He was even nice enough to explain to me what I was doing wrong when I tried to zero it. It was the first magnified optic I have had so I had no idea what a zero stop on a windage knob was. D'oh!! Haven't seen that guy around in a while.

Other items were far cheaper and the seller asked for PayPal.