PDA

View Full Version : DPMS (via Brownells) A2 upper receiver

2631orange
08-27-16, 19:42
I'm going to build an A2 clone as my next AR. Has anybody used the DPMS A2 upper receiver? Any comments about the quality?

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/stripped-a2-upper-receiver-sku231000152-17601-41420.aspx

Livefreeordie92
08-28-16, 01:26
I would see what else is available first.

justin_247
08-28-16, 09:30
DPMS. Bleh.

White Oak Armament has this:
https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/a2-upper-receiver-stripped.html

Evil Black Rifle
08-28-16, 17:17
DPMS will be as good as any other entry level upper such Aero or PSA.

Stickman
08-28-16, 19:33
DPMS. Bleh.

White Oak Armament has this:
https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/a2-upper-receiver-stripped.html

$284 for an A2 upper receiver? Have prices seriously gone that crazy and I've just missed it?

misfit47
08-28-16, 19:39
$284 for an A2 upper receiver? Have prices seriously gone that crazy and I've just missed it?

Dpms is $99, white oak is $95.

justin_247
08-28-16, 19:40

That link is for the stripped upper, which is $95.00. You're looking at the complete receiver, which includes WOA's proprietary sight work used for competition, and is completely unnecessary for a basic A2 build.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-28-16, 20:59

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2631orange
08-29-16, 15:49
So I take it the White Oak Armament receiver is good stuff then?

Evil Black Rifle
08-29-16, 17:26

No

Please use your broad technical training and extensive gunsmithing experience to provide a logical and reasoned argument why a properly machined forging that is hardcoat anodized is qualitatively distinguishable from one brand name to another.

C-grunt
08-31-16, 04:37
Please use your broad technical training and extensive gunsmithing experience to provide a logical and reasoned argument why a properly machined forging that is hardcoat anodized is qualitatively distinguishable from one brand name to another.

How are you so sure they build these upper recievers rights when they **** up so many other things?

Evil Black Rifle
09-01-16, 20:30
What are the so many things DPMS ****s up ?

How am I so sure that they make a reasonable quality upper ? Maybe because I have 20+ years experience as a CNC Machinist, maybe because I worked for shop that mills AR Uppers and AR Lowers, maybe because I have the necessary tools and have built AR uppers, or maybe because I have owned 2 DPMS ARs that had no issues.

Maybe Justin can explain.

fallenromeo
09-01-16, 21:01
The Doesn't Pass Mil Spec might be just fine. I, like many others in this thread, would look elsewhere first. That would be a last resort personally, but to each their own.

Evil Black Rifle
09-01-16, 21:11
If I post that FORD stands for Found On Road Dead, does that prove that they make an inferior product ?

Do you have link or other reference to the Mil-Specs for upper receivers so we can make a valid comparison between DPMS and some other examples ?

Do you have data that would prove your assertions regarding DPMS uppers ?

Stickman
09-02-16, 01:06
If I post that FORD stands for Found On Road Dead, does that prove that they make an inferior product ?

Do you have link or other reference to the Mil-Specs for upper receivers so we can make a valid comparison between DPMS and some other examples ?

Do you have data that would prove your assertions regarding DPMS uppers ?

To claim the experience you state, and then post the way you have kills your credibility. There is no reason for anyone to prove anything to you, as you already have shown a closed mind.

If you have an honest interest in why DPMS is looked down on, use GOOGLE.

C-grunt
09-02-16, 03:07
Here you go bro.

https://primaryandsecondary.com/autopsy-of-a-rifle-dpms-oracle-5-56-mm/

GH41
09-02-16, 06:47

How am I so sure that they make a reasonable quality upper ? Maybe because I have 20+ years experience as a CNC Machinist, maybe because I worked for shop that mills AR Uppers and AR Lowers, maybe because I have the necessary tools and have built AR uppers, or maybe because I have owned 2 DPMS ARs that had no issues.

Let me sort of agree with you first. If the same forging is machined by two identical machines running the same program and tooling at the same feed rates chances are the name on the mag well will be the only real difference between the two. What happens when a shop pushes their machine harder and runs the tooling longer to meet a production deadline at a certain price point? What happens if the finished product isn't inspected? I know what happens. Do you?

Singlestack Wonder
09-02-16, 11:06

Do some research here before making uninformed posts. Reading is your friend. If you search, you will find out why dpms, bushmaster, rra, and other low tier manufacturers are not highly respected here.

BFS
09-02-16, 11:34
Meh, DPMS shortcomings lie in their barrels, bcgs, and cheap lpks.

Their receivers are fine.

As long as an upper or lower is 7075 forged and dimensionally correct out of the box, it's just as good as the next brand.

You could argue that top shelf receivers are less likely to be incorrect, but if you bought a Dpms and there's an issue, brownells will exchange for you no problem.

NWcityguy2
09-03-16, 01:04
Between Midwayusa and Brownells, there are 19 positive reviews and only 1 negative review for the specific part in question.

Evil Black Rifle
09-04-16, 10:47
To claim the experience you state, and then post the way you have kills your credibility. There is no reason for anyone to prove anything to you, as you already have shown a closed mind.

If you have an honest interest in why DPMS is looked down on, use GOOGLE.

If you cannot cite data, all you have is an opinion.

I fully understand the differences between hobby rifles and mil-spec rifles. Some of the differences actually matter, and some do not. What I don't understand are the "It's not Mil-Spec" Parrots who can only squawk to repeat something they read somewhere on the Internet, and cannot produce a reasoned and logical, or even non-childish, argument to back up their assertions. If you are a brand snob, be honest, and admit that.

It is the closed minds cannot accept that DPMS, Aero, Bushmaster, or PSA can produce a useable upper or lower that meets the commonly accepted blueprint dimensions.

NWcityguy2
09-04-16, 11:39
As long as they are repeating a commonly accepted narrative, no explanation or personal experience is necessary.

Evil Black Rifle
09-04-16, 14:36
As long as they are repeating a commonly accepted narrative, no explanation or personal experience is necessary.

That is the definition of Parroting. So many people are so sure they are right, but have no facts or data to support their argument. I keep asking what specific features, functions, or fitment of a DPMS upper is incorrect or out of tolerance ?

My original answer to the OP was:

DPMS will be as good as any other entry level upper such Aero or PSA. ( or Bushmaster or Anderson )

If properly machined to the correct tolerances, which is not as complicated as rocket science, one brand of forged and anodized entry level upper or a lower is the same as any other.

Stickman
09-04-16, 18:36
It is the closed minds cannot accept that DPMS, Aero, Bushmaster, or PSA can produce a useable upper or lower that meets the commonly accepted blueprint dimensions.

Can, and do, are two different things.

Usable is up to interpretation, you are already slipping on your claims.

No matter what happens in this thread, you are going to stick to your opinion, which is fine. You aren't on my squad, you will never have my back, aren't part of my family, aren't a friend, and I'll never have to work on your weapon. Your issues are your own, and you are obviously entitled to whatever you wish.

The rest of the board is laughing at the level of ignorance shown by people who think all AR15s are the same, or that the above weapons you list are made to milspec.

You get the last word in this thread, there is no point in checking back in. I'm afraid you don't have a knowledge base worth engaging.

Evil Black Rifle
09-05-16, 11:39
If you had read any of this thread, you would see that I already stated that I am fully aware of the differences between hobby rifles and mil-spec rifles, and I have never claimed that hobby rifles are "as good as" mil-spec rifles.

What nobody can do is provide non-childish, or less ridiculous than the commonly repeated narrative: "We all know they are crap because we all told each other so", support to their argument that DPMS uppers are simply useless.

Despite lacking an AR/M16 Armorers Certificate, I know more about CNC machining procedures and processes, actually machining AR uppers and lowers, metallurgy and surface treatments, blueprint Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T), the inspection processes for finished machined goods, and building/troubleshooting AR's than a majority of the people posting.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-05-16, 11:43
This debate has been hashed out, with stats and quantitative data NUMEROUS times, over the last 10 years. You want info, go search for it. Stop wasting everyone else's time here and go to TOS if you want to espouse the merits of a crap gun.

Renegade04
09-05-16, 12:33
After reading a lot of biased responses and some that were fair and actual, I have to say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the DPMS receivers. Whether a person buys the DPMS A2 upper receiver, a Del-Ton A2 upper receiver, A Fulton Armory A2 upper receiver, or a White Oak Armament A2 upper receiver, they were have a good receiver. Albeit, some may have different finishes and may use different forgings, they are still made of the same 7075-T6 aluminum and are machined really well. It is up to the person as to what they want to pay. Personally, I would not have any problem owning and using any of the ones I mentioned. They are all good alternatives if someone cannot find a Colt or FN A2 upper receiver or even an older Bushmaster A2.

wetidlerjr
09-05-16, 13:41
This debate has been hashed out, with stats and quantitative data NUMEROUS times, over the last 10 years. You want info, go search for it. Stop wasting everyone else's time here and go to TOS if you want to espouse the merits of a crap gun.
That's the "long and short" of it. Every so often the "as good as" crowd starts a thread such as this expounding on how low quality equals high quality because "I own one and it works". It's a broken record that is more than tiresome and is a waste of bandwidth. I usually just ignore the trolls.

Iraqgunz
09-05-16, 14:34
Since this is turning into another shit storm, let's make it a learning lesson. Buy the upper and if it works, good on you.