PDA

View Full Version : Installing HK VP9 TRS spring

black22rifle
08-28-16, 05:41
I am having difficulty re-installing the trigger return spring (TRS) on my VP9 and was wondering if the HK TRS tool was absolutely necessary in order to install it. The tool itself just looks like some needle nose pliers that have been slimmed down. Can you substitute needle nose pliers instead?

BBossman
08-28-16, 06:00
The tool makes it "easy peasy" to install HK trigger springs. I've never tried to do it without the tool, but I'm sure it can be done with a couple spare springs and a lot of cussing.

The tool is actually just a pair of needle nose that are slimmed down to fit in the confined space and have notches on the inside face to keep the spring from slipping out of the jaws.You could make your own tool using a pair of needle nose and a Dremel.

A quick tip... you need both hands to do the job so I made a wooden block that fits snugly in the mag well, I clamp the bock in a vice, insert the block into the mag well, now I have both hands free to work on the FCG.

Rayrevolver
08-28-16, 11:16
PM if you want to borrow the tool.

GNXII
08-28-16, 11:45
Why would one have to do that & where would you find those tools? BTW Im loving my VP9 and picked up a VP40. I have two sets Trijicon HDs on the way along with an MGW shoe for them.

BangBang77
08-28-16, 12:27
Any tools or parts needed to work on an HK can be found at www.HKparts.net.

Yes, the TRS can be installed without the proper tool but is much easier to do it with the pliers created for it. I've done it with and without these pliers on USPs and P series pistols and will never again attempt it without the proper tools.

In a pinch, a cheap pair of needle nose pliers can be ground down to create your own tool. I'm sure the nose mods can be found on the interwebs somewhere.

al800
08-28-16, 16:06
Here's a pic of the TRS pliers.

I found that putting the edge of the pliers on the left edge of the spring works best. The front side is placed in first, and tensioned as you push the spring back into the frame. The pliers indentation makes it easier to push the rear tail back into place on the frame.

Can send out the pliers on loan if needed.

Talon167
08-28-16, 18:41
Rather than buy the tool, you could probably go to WalMart and buy a cheap set of needle nose pliers and grind the 'fingers' down as required.

Spiffums
08-28-16, 19:44
What about a pair of hemostats?

Dionysusigma
08-28-16, 21:13
Hemostats still won't have the modifications to the inside of the jaws necessary that make the TRS tool as effective as it is. I've also reinstalled the TRS spring with regular old needle-nose pliers, but in an effort to grip the spring securely enough, I might have accidentally distorted it... if a normal spring resembles |||||, mine is a little more like ///// now. I'm buying the tool before I mess with the spring again, which is because I'll be replacing it.

HKGuns
08-28-16, 22:03
Took me 3 hours to do mine without the tool. Get the tool.

If you invest enough time you can make it happen without the tool, but I'm not going to attempt it without one again.

black22rifle
08-29-16, 00:23
Hemostats still won't have the modifications to the inside of the jaws necessary that make the TRS tool as effective as it is. I've also reinstalled the TRS spring with regular old needle-nose pliers, but in an effort to grip the spring securely enough, I might have accidentally distorted it... if a normal spring resembles |||||, mine is a little more like ///// now. I'm buying the tool before I mess with the spring again, which is because I'll be replacing it.

I distorted mine also trying to use some needle nose pliers so I ended up just ordering the tool. I also ended up losing three springs in the process of taking this thing apart.