PDA

View Full Version : Misc range report

Pappabear
08-28-16, 18:07
Had some pretty decent weather today so we headed out to the ranch.

We shot some of that 7.62 German 147 Men ammo out of the bolt guns. We were hoping to get MOA. We had some MOA 3 round groups but usually ended up 1.5 MOA, which is fine for that price range.

Mark reloaded some of the brass and he said it was great. He put some Nosler 168's in it and we shot MOA groups out of the LMT. No load refinement at all, just a first stab and it shot good.

We took a long shot, literally and figuratively, with our 308 bolt guns and hit 1325 yards with 175 SMK's. I know people shoot a mile..., but that is the longest shots we ever made hits with our 308's.
Then I grabbed my LMT MWS and stuffed a 168 and we made a 22.5 mil guess and just missed it by ,5 mil on wind and elevation. I dumped two more but ran out of ammo, so the bad guy got away. But it was fun to take a shot with a 7.62 gas gun.

I always get a 20moa base. I was trying to keep the scope close to my barrel for good cheek weld on my LMT so I didn't have the 20 MOA because I ran Seekins rings. I ran out of elevation on my ACTAR at about 12.5 mils. I had to do the hold over with the reticle. Moral of story, if you plan to shoot long range, always get the extra MOA, it matters.

masan
08-31-16, 08:44
Sounds fun!

You could keep your set up but switch the seekins for some 25moa rings if you want to maintain the cheekweld you mentioned. I use Kelbly rings and they are tough to beat.

Pappabear
08-31-16, 09:33
Sounds fun!

You could keep your set up but switch the seekins for some 25moa rings if you want to maintain the cheekweld you mentioned. I use Kelbly rings and they are tough to beat.
I'll look into those. I'm definitely going to change something.

masan
08-31-16, 10:55
http://www.kelbly.com/scope-rings

They are running 15% off of everything for a little longer. I use their rings on both of my benchrest rifles as well as a few others, and I will gladly put them against anything out their in terms of quality.

I believe they still make the 30mm 25moa for a picatinny, though you may need to call since they aren't listed on the website (they don't list a lot of what they have, just the most popular stuff).

Kdubya
08-31-16, 18:43
You could also take a look at the Burris Signature or Signature XTR Rings. They have inserts that allegedly add more surface area gripping the scope and causing less stress. The real plus side, and reason I went with them, is that one can adjust the windage and elevation with the ring inserts up to 40 MOA in any direction. I have the Signature, as I don't recal the XTR's being available yet, and absolutely love them. They come with two sets of inserts; one that's concentric one that's +/-10. The nice thing is you can mix and match the front and rears. So, with the inserts included, you can achieve -20, -10, 0, +10, or +20 MOA in either windage or elevation. You can actually orient the rings in any direction, so you can even yield a combination of changes in windage and elevation; which is how I have mine set up. I wanted the reticle as neutral as possible for windage. So I set them up, rotating a little at a time, until I had an equal amount of adjustment within my scope for windage. It didn't take much to achieve this. I ended up with what I'm guessing to be about 2-3 MOA used up for the windage "centering" and 17-18 MOA added to my scope's elevation adjustment range. They sit on a 20 MOA base so, all together, I've picked up nearly 40 MOA to add to the adjustments within the scope. The scope's got 30 Mils of total travel for both windage and elevation. So, with my set up, I've got 15 Mils in either direction for windage, and about 22 Mils of adjustment for elevation! At 1000 yards I only need roughly 12-13 Mils of adjustment. So I've got about 10 Mils to spare.

Fit and finish is very nice. They lock up tight. I did adjust my eye relief at one point, and they left no marks or signs of wear on wear on the scope tube. For $50, they were a great buy. The XTRs are about twice the price, and are probably a bit more rugged. But the signatures should be fine for most applications.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings

masan
08-31-16, 19:22
The Burris Signature rings are very popular, and for good reason, definitely another good option.