PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a fanny pack

vpetrell
08-29-16, 10:57
As goofy as it sounds, I'm looking for a fanny pack to use when hiking to carry my 19 and some other small gear in works with a backpack, and also by itself for kayaking and bike riding

I want one big enough for my pistol, a spare mag and some gear, med kit, fire starter, water purification, paracord, and the like.

Anyone have any good experience wth some? I see a few 5.11 and a voodoo but not sure what else is out there.

Thanks

VP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruin
08-29-16, 14:34
Emdom makes a good one that I tried briefly as a med pouch. CSM gear makes two sizes and are well regarded.

Kadelic
08-29-16, 19:06
Have a look at the Mountainsmith lumbar bags. I've used a couple of older generation Tour packs and a smaller Vibe that fit my Kahr CM9. The Tour will hold everything you mention.

http://mountainsmith.com/products/all-lumbar-packs.html

El Cid
08-29-16, 22:07
I have a Pro Carry I like but the company is long out of business. If I were shopping today I'd get the Micro Pak 1 or 2. It doesn't look like a gun pack.

http://www.hawkepaks.com/level.itml/icOid/215

Tigereye
08-30-16, 06:12
Not a fanny pack, but look at the Hill People Gear kit bag. May fit what you want a little better.

HCrum87hc
08-30-16, 08:07
Another recommendation for Mountainsmith. They make good stuff.

docsherm
08-30-16, 17:10
I use the EMDOM USA one as a Med kit. It works great and it built very well.

vpetrell
08-30-16, 17:39
Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

I like the mountainsmith and the hawkepaks so far. I've got some research to do now to figure out what is best. The hawkepaks have a one up for not looking like anything special.

Thanks

VP

steyrman13
08-30-16, 18:32
I'm in the market like you are. The mountain smith look nice. Also look at the mystery ranch hip monkey

quackhead
08-31-16, 23:49
I also carry a G19 . The fanny pack is ok at times , but not fun when paddling or biking. I can get by with it when running , but it gets in the way on a bike or kayak.
The Hill people gear kit bag is perfect for all activities your described. It works well with a pack and doesn't get in the way like a fanny pack does when bent over/ seated while biking and paddling . It's also easier to access while in a kayak

Spurholder
09-04-16, 11:20
I just picked up another HPG kit bag - this one is a Snubby, which will hold a Glock 19 and an extra mag. Or a G43 and a bunch of stuff. Well made and I run with it every morning.

bulldozer3
09-04-16, 13:21
I just got one in from DTOM, ordered off amazon. Medium size, suede. So far looks nice, and my cz p07 fits nicely. Pack lays pretty flat against me and doesn't bulge out.

Will take It biking and see how it does.

vpetrell
09-04-16, 16:42
I just picked up another HPG kit bag - this one is a Snubby, which will hold a Glock 19 and an extra mag. Or a G43 and a bunch of stuff. Well made and I run with it every morning.

I love these. Just wish it wasn't as obvious to what I have in there. If it came without the molle I may be more apt to get one.

vpetrell
09-04-16, 16:44
On the fly for this weekend in the smoky mountains picked up a fanny pack from Wally World to get by. Did surprisingly well for me. Carried my 19 and an extra mag along with some other stuff

Turnkey11
09-05-16, 00:17
Haven't picked it up yet, but I'm looking hard at this...

http://www.optactical.com/emrewabag.html

Spurholder
09-06-16, 15:26
I love these. Just wish it wasn't as obvious to what I have in there. If it came without the molle I may be more apt to get one.

Mine doesn't have MOLLE. Only two of HPG's kit bags have MOLLE - the Recon models.

This is the one I currently have - except mine is Ranger Green:

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/1/Default.aspx

I used to own a Recon in Multicam, and probably will get another Recon in RG for hiking. The Snubby is perfect for running.

vpetrell
09-06-16, 17:43
Mine doesn't have MOLLE. Only two of HPG's kit bags have MOLLE - the Recon models.

This is the one I currently have - except mine is Ranger Green:

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/1/Default.aspx

I used to own a Recon in Multicam, and probably will get another Recon in RG for hiking. The Snubby is perfect for running.

Awesome. Thanks man. I'm gonna look at it again now.

May be an odd question, but when you are wearing it, do people look at you like they know you are carrying?

I'm only asking as I want to be as discrete as possible.

Zim
09-06-16, 19:06
I used a HPG Kit Bag and Tarahumara to carry supplies while I was out playing Pokemon Go for the first month of its' existence and none of the other mindless zombies gave it a second look. It really is a slick little pack and/or system.

vpetrell
09-06-16, 19:21
I used a HPG Kit Bag and Tarahumara to carry supplies while I was out playing Pokemon Go for the first month of its' existence and none of the other mindless zombies gave it a second look. It really is a slick little pack and/or system.

Ok cool. That's good to know. I'm gonna take a hard look at that bag

Spurholder
09-07-16, 08:12
Awesome. Thanks man. I'm gonna look at it again now.

May be an odd question, but when you are wearing it, do people look at you like they know you are carrying?

I'm only asking as I want to be as discrete as possible.

Sorry man, can't help you there. I live in Tennessee, where just about everyone carries. No one's asked me, either, though.

horsefighting
09-17-16, 13:10
I'd recommend using outdoor brands like Northface and have velcro sewn inside the main compartments to use DAP type pouches. You can grab a ton of different models on ebay for under $20.

3 AE
09-17-16, 16:58
Whatever you decide on, make sure it has some way of organizing your weapon and magazines so that they stay put until you need them. Case in point; Last year I'm in line behind a guy at the supermarket checkout lane. He starts punching the buttons on the payment scanner with one hand and reaches into his fanny pack with the other. Out comes a double stack magazine! He's staring at it with a WTF look on his face. I'm trying to hold back a chuckle until the cashier, an older lady, nonchalantly says in a quiet voice, "That's not it". Me and a few people behind me just lose it! So practice with your pack so you don't become "That guy".