PDA

View Full Version : Your tax dollars being well spent...

Singlestack Wonder
08-29-16, 12:49
I sure everyone here at M4C is happy to know that their tax dollars are being well spent. We now have 10,000 syrian refugees living in our land of freedom. Their residences, food, medical needs, schooling, etc. all being paid for by the U.S. Citizen. (not including any other dollars spent to combat and rebuild damage should one or more of the refugees decide to go terrorist).

Thanks to obama, kerry, and hilliary.....

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/syrias-suffering-families/10-000th-syrian-refugee-will-arrive-u-s-monday-n639446

26 Inf
08-29-16, 13:22
While I'm not wild about the idea of taking 10,000 Syrian refugees, I wasn't sure that your statement 'Their residences, food, medical needs, schooling, etc. all being paid for by the U.S. Citizen' was correct so I checked.

First I found the article which is linked below. Then I looked at a couple of the 9 resettlement organization's financial reports. Seems that overall around 65% of their funding come from government grants.

8 Facts About the U.S. Program to Resettle Syrian Refugees

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/11/20/8-facts-about-the-us-program-to-resettle-syrian-refugees

Refugees are processed in conjunction with nine nonprofits, not solely by the government.

Nine national resettlement agencies process cases of refugees that have passed all the appropriate security checks. Those agencies include: Church World Service, Ethiopian Community Development Council, Episcopal Migration Ministries, the Hebrew Immigration Aid Society, International Rescue Committee, Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service, U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops/Migration and Refugee Services, and World Relief. Six of these organizations are faith-based.

Those nine organizations meet each week with the State Department to decide how refugees will be redistributed. Each agency accepts new cases based upon their organization capacity, taking into consideration budget and current caseload.

Refugees must pay back the cost of their flight to the U.S.

After one of the nonprofit resettlement agencies receives the case of a particular individual or family, the International Organization for Migration coordinates their travel to the U.S. city where they will be resettled. The plane ticket is paid for at that time, but after they arrive and begin working, the refugees must pay back the cost of the ticket.

Refugees don't get long-term subsidized housing.

Each refugee receives a stipend of about $1,000 to cover their first three months in the U.S. Before an individual or family arrives, the local resettlement organizations work to find a suitable apartment. They ensure the rent will be affordable and are in charge of distributing the stipend to cover the costs of rent for three months. They are not placed in special apartment blocks and do not receive special rates.

"[The housing] is on the open market. We're trying to rent apartments just like anybody else," says Stacie Blake of the U.S. Committee for Refugee and Immigrants. "There's nothing special or privileged about that."

After three months, refugees are responsible for paying rent as normal tenants in their apartment buildings and are also free to move elsewhere within the city or state or to another state altogether.

Refugees have to apply for jobs.

Resettlement agencies also aid refugees in applying for jobs. Syria was a lower middle-income country before the war, and many refugees are educated and trained. But that doesn't mean they can pick up where they left off.

"Let's just say they were a doctor. You can't just come be a doctor here, you have to start over to get your credentials," Blake says. "So now they can't be a doctor, so now what will they do?"

Refugees frequently find work in low-skilled jobs, like hotel services and manufacturing. They interview and go through a job-application process just as anyone else would.

The government doesn't track refugees after they arrive. [I](This is bullshit. Aside from the obvious security concerns, how can you tell if the refugee program is working, that you didn't bring them to our country only to have them fall victim to something just as bad.I]

Once arriving in the U.S., refugees are allowed to move anywhere in the country, just like any other legal resident. If a refugee does choose to relocate, a local organization works to transfer the case to another resettlement agency in the new location, but that is not always possible.

"We do not track refugees," the State Department spokesperson says. "Once a refugee arrives they can move wherever they want."

Refugees sometimes chose to move to where they have a community of people from their country or that speak the same language. This can create cities where many refugees from one country live, like the large Somali community in Minneapolis.

Some argue that the government should know where refugees, some of whom have been through extensive trauma, are living.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, a Republican, ordered state police to track Syrian refugees currently residing in his state.

"I issued an executive order telling my agencies to do everything we can," Jindal said. "We don’t want these refugees in our state. I’ve ordered the state police to track the ones that are already in Louisiana.”

Christian resettlement organizations help refugees of all faiths.

Five of the nine resettlement agencies are Christian and one is Jewish, but all serve refugees of all nationalities and faiths.

Singlestack Wonder
08-29-16, 13:54
Are you saying the U.S taxpayer is not paying for the "65% in Government Grants"? In the long run, this will turn into another welfare charity system.

elephant
08-29-16, 14:29
what difference does it make? the cost of a plane ticket, who pays it back and when- its a joke. $1000 to cover 3 months of rent? Another joke that pretty much sums up our governments out of touch mentality. Out of the 9 non-profits, most likely they are for-profit, but don't pay any taxes. I would bet that they are subsidized by the US federal government and have already received compensation for this . Church World Service and World Relief are NOT affiliated with any Church. No one is going to do this for free and the Obama administration wanted to resettle as many refugees as possible so I'm sure that these 9 non profits got the compensation to make this happen, and I'm sure they got enough to not make Obama look bad. But don't feel bad, these refugees will go on about there day living a "special Olympics" version of our life, kind of like the African Americans. They will get free housing, free food, free gas, free groceries and free clothing, you want to know why? Because the last thing people want to see on the news is homeless refugees living on the streets, Obama and the US Dept. of State will do anything and spend anything to make these refugees look successful so they can say- " these are hard working people, not terrorist". Don't be naïve! Its all a dog and pony show for the American taxpayers at the expense of the American taxpayer.

Falar
08-29-16, 14:52
I can't imagine what it is like in some of the smaller European countries that have many times over this many of them in their country.

If I was in Greece or Germany I'd be pissed.

Averageman
08-29-16, 14:58
Lets crash an already ailing economy?

Digital_Damage
08-29-16, 15:00
meh drop in the bucket.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-29-16, 15:21
Are you saying the U.S taxpayer is not paying for the "65% in Government Grants"? In the long run, this will turn into another welfare charity system.

The above is how the system is supposed to work, at the very best. They have kids here, the kids are US citizens and they are eligible for all the benefits.

It doesn't take into account school districts taking in new students and having to deal with an influx of non-english speakers in languages that are not commonly spoken here. Lots of resource drain there.

If they aren't tracked, how can you tell what benefits they are getting? What about their healthcare? Are you saying that they are providing for it themselves or are they ending up on medicaid or just showing up in ERs.

How expensive are they 'extensive' background checks that we are running?

What happens when they can't pay back their travel expenses? Fall behind in their rent? Are we seriously going to make them homeless?

DId I see that we are going to get a million of them eventually?

It can be argued about the morality of assisting or not assisting these people, but don't try to tell me that these people aren't a major drain of resources.

Singlestack Wonder
08-29-16, 15:24
meh drop in the bucket.

The U.S. deficit of $19T+ is based on a lot of "drop in the bucket" expenses...

Firefly
08-29-16, 15:32
Honest to God, I'd rather Americanize Mexicans than gamble on military age "Syrians".

I would rather deal with Surenos than ISIS.

Averageman
08-29-16, 15:36
The above is how the system is supposed to work, at the very best. They have kids here, the kids are US citizens and they are eligible for all the benefits.

It doesn't take into account school districts taking in new students and having to deal with an influx of non-english speakers in languages that are not commonly spoken here. Lots of resource drain there.

If they aren't tracked, how can you tell what benefits they are getting? What about their healthcare? Are you saying that they are providing for it themselves or are they ending up on medicaid or just showing up in ERs.

How expensive are they 'extensive' background checks that we are running?

What happens when they can't pay back their travel expenses? Fall behind in their rent? Are we seriously going to make them homeless?

DId I see that we are going to get a million of them eventually?

It can be argued about the morality of assisting or not assisting these people, but don't try to tell me that these people aren't a major drain of resources.

We own it, cradle to grave care for all of their lives.
Thanks again Barry.

sgtrock82
08-29-16, 15:41
Where does one find a place to rent for 3 months for $1000 that isnt govt subsidized or otherwise "special"? Who do they think reads their BS

MountainRaven
08-29-16, 17:44
Where does one find a place to rent for 3 months for $1000 that isnt govt subsidized or otherwise "special"? Who do they think reads their BS

There are these things called, "roommates." It's the latest craze, just in from Europe.

26 Inf
08-29-16, 17:50

Second line boldfaced - Seems that overall around 65% of their funding come from government grants.

Seemed pretty clear to me that we, the people that pay taxes, enable the government to give grants.

26 Inf
08-29-16, 17:55

What I got is that it was per family member - so mom and dad $2,000; mom and dad and two kids $4,000. I'm sure a lot of them are living in either church-owned homes or subsidized housing.

T2C
08-29-16, 18:57
They should have established a camp in their region of the world, out of reach of ISIS. Men of fighting age should have been trained to fight ISIS. Once the area in which they lived is reasonably safe, they should be repatriated to their own country.

Firefly
08-29-16, 19:30
They should have established a camp in their region of the world, out of reach of ISIS. Men of fighting age should have been trained to fight ISIS. Once the area in which they lived is reasonably safe, they should be repatriated to their own country.

This all the way.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-29-16, 22:18
Is it just that they can't call them immigrants? Were the Irish immigrants or refugees? Refugee is half right here. They are fleeing horrible conditions. That conditions weren't that great before the rise of ISIS and most of them would welcome the chance to come to the west 15 years ago makes them not really refugees but rather immigrants. These guys aren't going home.

So instead of solving problems we just import some of the people. Not all of them. Some get to live in the west and the rest are still stuck in the hellish conditions.

If we are going to de-populate some of these areas, why not do it by killing bad guys or helping the better guys kill the bad guys. We didn't take Russian refugees in WWII, we sent them tanks, ammo and airplanes.

elephant
08-29-16, 22:33
under Jimmy Carter, Cuban exiles and "refugees" were put into camps underneath our interstate highways, they lived in tents and had mobile bathrooms. Just think about this, the Obama administration is considered by many to be a "failed presidency". He is not going to embarrass himself anymore by bringing in 10,000 refugees and allowing them to fail. They will have government housing- most likely fanny mae, then they will be furnished with beds, nightstands, sofa, dining roof furniture etc. Each refugee will be given a $5000 master card, similar to katrina victims, to buy clothing- most likely it will be good for only select stores like Kohls, Belk or similar. They will be given another master card to buy food and that card will have an initial credit limit of $5000 to get these refuges up to par with American living and then the limit will be lowered to say $2000/month for a few months. if they cant find jobs, they will be given government jobs like post office, DOT or similar to keep them from drowning.

MountainRaven
08-29-16, 23:26

Is there anywhere in that region of the world that is out of reach of ISIS?

I mean, sure, ISIS isn't going to be able to just drive a thousand guys into Jordan or Turkey and turn a refugee camp into a death camp, but given that ISIS attacks have occurred in Germany, France, the UK, Canada, and the US, never mind Turkey and Jordan, I don't think there's really such a thing as, "out of reach of ISIS."

SteyrAUG
08-30-16, 00:30
Is there anywhere in that region of the world that is out of reach of ISIS?

I mean, sure, ISIS isn't going to be able to just drive a thousand guys into Jordan or Turkey and turn a refugee camp into a death camp, but given that ISIS attacks have occurred in Germany, France, the UK, Canada, and the US, never mind Turkey and Jordan, I don't think there's really such a thing as, "out of reach of ISIS."

Seems obvious he meant a place where ISIS isn't currently fighting as an occupying force or in danger of falling to ISIS as an occupying force. Why all these people aren't bunked up in Turkey, Lebanon or Jordan is beyond me. The fact that Turkey, who pretty much is doing everything they can to help ISIS, actually attacked the Syrians refugees who tried to cross into their country says a lot.

Moose-Knuckle
08-30-16, 02:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PzT8vEvYPg

Moose-Knuckle
08-30-16, 02:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htGSjN805wA

glocktogo
08-30-16, 09:17
If you research these resettlement groups, they lobby heavily for the grant money to fund their operations. So they spend money to get our money for these resettlement endeavors. Why can't they just use their money in the first place? Why can't they use their money to advertise for voluntary donations instead of forced donations?

BTW, NONE of the Arab states are taking these refugees. That's what we call a "clue". :(

T2C
08-30-16, 09:48
If you research these resettlement groups, they lobby heavily for the grant money to fund their operations. So they spend money to get our money for these resettlement endeavors. Why can't they just use their money in the first place? Why can't they use their money to advertise for voluntary donations instead of forced donations?

BTW, NONE of the Arab states are taking these refugees. That's what we call a "clue". :(

This is one aspect of the situation that really concerns me.

glocktogo
08-30-16, 11:54

For me it immediately begs the question, are the Syrian refugees really that universally undesirable (like the Palestinians), or is it simply an effective means with which to spread the Caliphate? :confused:

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-30-16, 19:57

I think you mean to say Gulf States? Jordan is taking a bunch. Egypt too. Going to Iraq is a dumb idea. Let Iran fill the empty Guards planes going back to Iran take some.

Moose-Knuckle
08-31-16, 04:40
Saudi Arabia has a tent city that houses TWO MILLION pilgrims during the hajj, all air conditioned.

The forced resettlement of Syrians (along with many others from the Middle East and Africa) in the West is again, Cultural Marxism.

rocsteady
08-31-16, 11:29
While I'd like to believe any of these people are working, every time I go to the places they frequent ("they" being the larger groups of muslims that seem to be taking over areas of Brooklyn and outside the city near West Point/Bear Mountain) I see them, all of them, all the time. There just isn't a time during the week, on weekends, day or night that they're not all milling about, young, old and everything in between. Unless they all have careers in loitering in public places, I'm not sure that those I see are working at all.

Areas of Brooklyn that used to be entirely Italian are now taking the appearance of the middle east, well, the areas that don't appear to be China anyway...