PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Hornady 68gr. Match HPBT much?

Damascus
09-05-08, 19:02
Hello there everyone. I just ordered a box of Hornady Match 68gr. HPBT for reloading for my AR's. I've been using Sierra Matchking 69gr. HPBTs for a LONG time, with stellar results. I thought of trying the Hornady's, since I've heard so many people swear by them, and they have a higher B.C. I just got them in the mail today, and compared one of them with a SMK, and the Hornady's are a LOT longer! Almost as long as a 75gr. round! I have a 1/9" barrel, which shoots the 69 SMK's the best of all rounds I've tried, so these Hornady's probably aren't going to fare as well, especially since I'm going to have to seat them so deeply to fit into my Pmags...
Anyone here use the Hornady's? What do you think of them? I will be using mainly RL-15, and perhaps some TAC. Thanks for all info!

Damascus
09-10-08, 01:15
No one? :confused:
I just got a few rounds of it loaded, will go and throw a few groups Thursday, weather permitting. We'll see if those longer bullets are going to be affected by my 1/9" barrel, which shoots the shorter 69 Sierra Matchkings better than any other bullet I've tried so far.

SMJayman
09-11-08, 07:18
I tried out those 68gr OTMs in two different 1:9 ARs. In one case they performed badly (8 MOA) and in one case even worse (8 MOA + keyholing, even at 25 yards.) I think they are too long to get adequately stabilized by a 1:9 spin. These were both 16" barrels, FWIW.

They did fair at lower velocities for some reason. I was running them in front of BLC2. Once I got up to 26.0, 26.2, and 26.5gr, the really bad groups started to make themselves evident.

My experience makes me think you'll be less than happy with them unless you use them in a 1:8 or 1:7 barrel.

Damascus
09-11-08, 12:03
I tried out those 68gr OTMs in two different 1:9 ARs. In one case they performed badly (8 MOA) and in one case even worse (8 MOA + keyholing, even at 25 yards.) I think they are too long to get adequately stabilized by a 1:9 spin. These were both 16" barrels, FWIW.

They did fair at lower velocities for some reason. I was running them in front of BLC2. Once I got up to 26.0, 26.2, and 26.5gr, the really bad groups started to make themselves evident.

My experience makes me think you'll be less than happy with them unless you use them in a 1:8 or 1:7 barrel.

Well crap, that's what I was afraid of :(... I just don't get it - why does Hornady want to make them so darn long?? They're just a hair bit shorter than a freakin' 77 SMK! If someone has a 1/7" or 1/8" barrel, that can shoot those super long bullets, why would they buy 68's when they can reap the benefits of the 75/77's? I got some rounds loaded, but it's pouring rain here today, so I can't test them. Right now, out of all loads and bullets I've shot out of my rifle, best performance has been with the 69 SMK's, 25.3gr. RL-15, CCI SR Magnum, Lake City brass, 2.7" C.O.L. - which gets me just a smidge over 0.5" @ 100yds (5 shot groups). I can get .88" with 77gr., so my 1/9 can throw them without keyholing, but they just aren't near as accurate as the 69's. Thanx for the info.

SMJayman
09-11-08, 12:25
Well crap, that's what I was afraid of :(... I just don't get it - why does Hornady want to make them so darn long?? They're just a hair bit shorter than a freakin' 77 SMK! If someone has a 1/7" or 1/8" barrel, that can shoot those super long bullets, why would they buy 68's when they can reap the benefits of the 75/77's? I got some rounds loaded, but it's pouring rain here today, so I can't test them. Right now, out of all loads and bullets I've shot out of my rifle, best performance has been with the 69 SMK's, 25.3gr. RL-15, CCI SR Magnum, Lake City brass, 2.7" C.O.L. - which gets me just a smidge over 0.5" @ 100yds (5 shot groups). I can get .88" with 77gr., so my 1/9 can throw them without keyholing, but they just aren't near as accurate as the 69's. Thanx for the info.When you do try those 68gr OTMs, do post back, I'm curious how they will perform for you. Obviously not every rifle/barrel is the same. I haven't tried the 69gr SMKs, those are next on my list, based on what others have said. It is good to know that you've had such good results with them as well.

Damascus
09-15-08, 21:43
Ok, I finally got to test some. I tried loading them at max. magazine length in my rifle (2.265"), because the longer I get them, the better the accuracy is, in ALL rounds I've tried. The good news is that even though they are almost as long as 75 grainers, they shoot very well. The bad news is that the 69 Sierra Matchkings mop the floor with them LOL. I started at 24gr. of RL-15, and worked up to 26.5, and then stopped because accuracy started degrading. The best groups came from 25.0gr. I was using brand new Remington brass, trimmed and VLD chamfered, shooting at 100 yards, on a clear, calm, sunny day, with virtually no wind, not even a breeze.
I also shot several groups of my 69 SMK loads, for comparison.
The average out of five 5 shot groups with the SMK's was 0.550".
The average out of five 5 shot groups with the H 68's was 0.861".
In my particular rifle, they shoot just a hair bit better than the heaviest bullets I've ever shot out of it, Hornady TAP 75gr, which averaged around 0.90".
I feel pretty confident that my next rifle I am building (based on a DPMS Mini-SASS 18" 5.56 fluted bull barrel 1/8" twist) will do a lot better.
Looks like I'll have to find someone to trade with me on the 75 rounds I have left of these LOL.

SMJayman
09-15-08, 22:07
Ok, I finally got to test some. I tried loading them at max. magazine length in my rifle (2.265"), because the longer I get them, the better the accuracy is, in ALL rounds I've tried. The good news is that even though they are almost as long as 75 grainers, they shoot very well. The bad news is that the 69 Sierra Matchkings mop the floor with them LOL. I started at 24gr. of RL-15, and worked up to 26.5, and then stopped because accuracy started degrading. The best groups came from 25.0gr. I was using brand new Remington brass, trimmed and VLD chamfered, shooting at 100 yards, on a clear, calm, sunny day, with virtually no wind, not even a breeze.
I also shot several groups of my 69 SMK loads, for comparison.
The average out of five 5 shot groups with the SMK's was 0.550".
The average out of five 5 shot groups with the H 68's was 0.861".
In my particular rifle, they shoot just a hair bit better than the heaviest bullets I've ever shot out of it, Hornady TAP 75gr, which averaged around 0.90".
I feel pretty confident that my next rifle I am building (based on a DPMS Mini-SASS 18" 5.56 fluted bull barrel 1/8" twist) will do a lot better.
Looks like I'll have to find someone to trade with me on the 75 rounds I have left of these LOL.

You got WAY better results than I did. My OAL was 2.250", but I seriously doubt 0.015" longer would've fixed my groups. :) Your 1:8 ought to do much better with 'em, but you got pretty good results for a 1:9 for sure.

Kurt Reifert
09-16-08, 08:52
When you try a new projectile, it's also a good idea to try a few different powder selections.
Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right combination.
A slightly faster or slower burn rate can really make a huge difference.

Kaiser Mike
11-29-16, 17:32
This is the thread I've been hunting for! Trying to decide what powder to use. R15 or Varget.

I've been using the hornady 68 and 75 gr match bullets in my rifle. H335 on both was just "meh". 1.5 at best.
This is using fully processed FC brass (mixed batch range or personal once fired). Maxed to magazine length.
AA2520 was a failure across the board. Even on light bullets.

I know the rifle is capable of better. 55gr Nosler varmeggedons with 24gr H335 are a ragged 1/2" hole with 5 shots at 50 yds.

Kansaswoodguy
11-29-16, 18:51
You dug up a thread from 08 I doubt these guys are around anymore.

Pick up a pound IMR 8208 it will be the bomb for the 75's and it should work ok for the 68's also.

CCI 400, Hornady 75gr bthp match COL 2.250", 22.1gr IMR 8208, 20" barrel 2574fps (there is another node above this one but might put you over book. If your running a NATO or Wylde chamber it should be fine but proceed with caution.) I on average shoot about 3/4" five shot groups at 100 yards with this load and take it to around 900 yards with regularity. This is with a 1-8 twist 20" but it stabilizes just fine in both my 1-9 twist barrels one is 16" one is 20"

siciliano
12-08-16, 00:24
Hello big D, I reloaded some 68 gr hornady with CFE 223 and at 100 yard they were all over the place. Really bad. Switched to H4198 and they shot quite well. I also used Nosler custom comp. 69 grainers on top of some Varget and they did very well also. This is out of a ST15 16" 1:7…………..I was very happy for the H4198 and the 68 gr. Hornady load as these are some of the less expensive premium bullets in the heavy weight category………… good luck on your search……………Siciliano

HomeGrownSPR223
12-14-16, 14:20
I shoot the 68's out of my Rock River 20 inch bull barrel 1/9 twist and out of my windham 16 inch barrel and haven't had any problems , have even gotten my Rock river shoot 75gr amax' all loads useing Varget powder lake city brass and cci 400 primers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meausoc
12-15-16, 11:44
I too just picked up some of these 68gr. Hornady bullets to compare against the 77g. Hornady bullets. Rifle will be a BCM 18" stainless with 1/8 twist that may be on its way back to Bravo Co. Powder is going to be Varget and AR Comp to see which one shoots best. I will let you'all know once I get them loaded up and tested.

eightmillimeter
12-20-16, 01:46
I go through a metric ton of these every year. The price per round is awesome when they are on sale. I only use one rifle that is 1:9 and they need to be loaded near max in that gun.

My current load is 24.0 grains of IMR-4895 which is less than ideal but it's a powder I'm using to just get rid of it. It runs 1-1.5 MOA in my other guns and 1.5-2 MOA in my 1:9. Loaded any slower it pretty much drops to a 3 MOA load across the board for me.

Back in my NRA Highpower days I used AA2520 (metered) with excellent results but that barrel was 1:8, and I used the 68's exclusively at both 200 and 300 yard stages.

RustyKnifeUSMC
01-19-17, 22:26
I've used the 68 grainers over 24.0 of RE15 for years. Thinking about trying some IMR 8208 XBR. Most of my rifles I shoot them in are 1/7 or 1/8 twists loaded to 2.248/2.250 COAL.

Thump_rrr
01-22-17, 11:08
Out to what distances are you shooting out to with the 68gr?
My main go to bullet for most of my shooting is the Hornady 55gr fmj with cannelure which I buy in a 6000 pc bulk box.
My primary powder is IMR 8208 XBR

I have tried the 69gr SMK and have not had great results inside of 200M in the 2 MOA range.
What I have had sub MOA results out of inside of 200Y is Speer 52gr JHP. These have a flat base.

I typically go to my M1A's or bolt guns for longer ranges. Yes I realize I can go out to 400-500Y or more with a semi auto .223/5.56.
I don't own an AR-10.

Rifles in use are
Gen 1 Noveske Afghan 14.5" SS 1-7" twist.
Gen 2 Noveske CQB 10.5" CHF 1-7" twist.
Stag 3G 18" SS 1-8" twist.

Kaiser Mike
11-19-17, 19:06
Been thinking about trying out the H 68's again as soon as my "mom and pop" store gets some in again.
Several more powders on hand now, more experience with this cartridge, powders and bullets.
My new rifle is an SPR with a wylde chamber. Will shoot rings around my 16" door kicker.
So far, I've found about 4 separate bullet/powder combo's it likes. Re15, CFE223 and H335 being favorites.
just got some H4895. On a really crappy day (rain and wind) I was looking at just over moa with the 75gr hornady match.
This is gonna likely do as well as my re15 with that one. One change for the 75's was going to LC brass from FC. This load
just seemed to like that brass more. Still using CCI 450's. Gonna try some wolf magnums if i can find them.

bb223
11-24-17, 18:26
I don't like them at all, they don't shoot well for me.

Bought 200 to try once, didn't get near the accuracy I get from 69gr SMKs or 77gr Noslers so I won't buy them again.

IIRC they are the same length as the 75gr Hornady, just with a deeper "HP" to reduce the weight.

And the 75s don't shoot that great for me either so that may explain it.

Achilles11B
03-22-18, 23:41
Does four months count as a Frankenthread?

Anyway, I’ve used the Black Hills ammo that utilized the Hornady 69gr BTHP in a Winchester 70 Heavy Varmint rifle, 22” barrel, 1-9 twist. Great results. So when I started reloading, I snagged a box. I’ve been reloading Hornady 75gr BTHP and Nosler 69gr BTHP with H4895 but I haven’t been able to find any load data for it with that powder. I know the 75’s get along with my AR and I’m looking forward to seeing how the 69’s act, but I really want to see what the 68 can do.