PDA

View Full Version : If they made it today... - Iconic guns, iconic films

MountainRaven
08-30-16, 01:09
Being a discussion of what firearms we think would most likely be used in iconic films (and TV series), especially those noted for using iconic firearms.

Because politics is dour and a bore and polite society simply should not lower itself thus. :p

A couple of my thoughts:

Miami Vice
Sonny Crockett: Always carried a big, "state of the art" 45 Auto - a SiG P220/Browning BDA in the pilot, followed by a Bren Ten (that was also in 45, although that's mostly because that's what they had blanks for), and then the S&W 645 and finally the 4506.
My vote? HK45. It's big, it's European, it's as state-of-the-art as 45s get these days, and it ain't cheap. I think the movie got this one wrong and right with the SVI TiKI. Wrong in that it really isn't state of the art, right in that it seems pretty fitting for a well-to-do drug runner. I don't think this would be in the budget for a TV show.
His BUG was a Detonics Pocket 9 then a Combat Master. I think I'd have him go for a Glock 43, maybe one tuned up by Agency Arms or ATEi.

Dirty Harry
Det. Harry Callahan: Carried a S&W mod. 29. I think the best gun for a 2016 Det. Callahan would be a Glock model 40. It gives him a big handgun in a cartridge known for being quite powerful but still gives us the "10mm Special" - as Callahan relates, he loads his 29 with 44 Special rather than full-bore 44 Mag and thus Callahan would use regular, old 40 S&W-velocity ammunition in his model 40.

Heat
This is going to be long...

Armored truck heist:
Waingro: Had a Star. But Stars are getting hard to find, so I'd give him a Taurus. Maybe a PT-92.
Shiherlis and McCauley: Seems only natural to have them rock Mk18s.
Cheritto: Had an FAL. Only makes sense to give him the FAL's spiritual successor, the Mk17 SCAR-H.
Trejo: AK-104. He had an AK, he keeps an AK. Still 7.62x39, still folding stock. Maybe give it the Spetsnaz Alfa treatment.

Optics for all would red dots of various makes and models. Given their job, a magnified optic seems uncalled for.

Drive-in movie theater shoot out:
Shiherlis: He originally had an HK91. So we'll give him an MR762A1LRP (not an HK417, HK CSASS, G28, &c. - the original gun was a civilian production weapon and given the mission, I don't see why that ought to change), maybe give it a set of off-set BUIS or an off-set Micro or RMR.
McCauley: Packed a USP in 9mm. Not sure I see much reason to change this, but we'll go with a USP in 45. Because reasons.
Cheritto: Originally armed with a Benelli M3, my natural inclination would be to give him a Benelli M4. But I won't. Short-barreled VEPR-12.
The Hitman: Steyr TMP, originally, I don't see any reason not to simply update his armament to the modern B&T MP9.

Bank heist:
Hanna: Cheritto got FN FAL became a Mk17 SCAR-H, I think Hanna's FN FNC should become a SCAR 16S. In black. Maybe with some KDG goodness and a Leupold Mk6 1-6 or similar.
MCD/R-H detectives: Originally Mossberg 590s and Colt M16A1s/SP-1s. So they get upgraded to a mixture of Benelli M4s (this is why Cheritto didn't get one earlier) and Colt LE6920s with RDSs and ACOGs.
Shiherlis and McCauley: HK416Ds with 10.5" barrels and various RDSs.
Cheritto: Had an IWI Galil ARM with a 35-round magazine in it. So we'll give him an IWI Tavor TAR (with an 18" barrel) and a 40-round PMag, wearing a Mepro M21.

Waingro's end:
McCauley: HK45, because the SiG P220 just isn't that hot any more. Maybe a SiG P227, if we have to keep the SiG.
Waingro: Taurus Raging Judge in stainless steel. Because Waingro is low-life scum with crappy taste and nickel-plated Stars just don't reflect that as well.

The chase/airport:
Hanna: Originally a Colt Combat Commander in 45 with ivory stocks. So... Wilson Combat CQB Commander, grey frame, black slide, ivory stocks, one-peice WC round-butt extended magwell. Still in 45. Fed by ETMs.
McCauley: Still rocking the HK45 (or P227).

So. Thoughts? Anybody have any other movies or TV shows they want to bring the guns into 2016 on?

(I have more, I just don't have time tonight.)

Falar
08-30-16, 01:21
I don't know whether to be proud or sad that as I read your post I knew every single thing you posted about Heat and could "see" it.

I don't watch it often anymore in my married years but man, I love that movie.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-30-16, 01:37
Wouldn't Dirty Harry have to use a S&W500?

Now do Die Hard. Just don't screw with the P7M13....

SteyrAUG
08-30-16, 01:54
I don't know whether to be proud or sad that as I read your post I knew every single thing you posted about Heat and could "see" it.

I don't watch it often anymore in my married years but man, I love that movie.

I think I have three different DVD releases and I watch it all the time. My wife understands.

Heat should NEVER be remade, it was the all time high water mark for Michael Mann (Public Enemies probably being a close second) and there are few films in it's class from anyone.

Miami Vice got a remake in what might have been Michael Mann's worst film and it should be forgotten. They updated the guns but everything else went in a terrible direction.

If you are going to update or remake something, pick something that has potential but wasn't very great like the original "Man on Fire" (1987). Ironically enough a lot of the 80s Schwarzenegger films are excellent candidates for a more serious film. From "Commando" (1985) to "Predator" (1987) there is lots of opportunity. Imagine if "Predator" was given the same feel as "Act of Valor" (2012) or "Commando was approached like "Man on Fire" (2004).

As for the firearms, they should be current period and unit correct.

MistWolf
08-30-16, 03:22
Dirty Harry used a 44 Magnum- the most powerful handgun in the world. Downgrading him to a 40 S&W just isn't gonna cut it

Arik
08-30-16, 07:43
From "Commando" (1985) to "Predator" (1987) there is lots of opportunity. Imagine if "Predator" was given the same feel as "Act of Valor" (2012) or "Commando was approached like "Man on Fire" (2004).

Actually Commando was remade...kinda. There was a script for Commando 2 but Arnold wasn't interested so they got a new actor and reworked the script and retitled it "Die Hard"

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MountainRaven
08-30-16, 09:31
Wouldn't Dirty Harry have to use a S&W500?

I thought about it. But it wasn't that unusual for cops at the time to carry six-shot N-frame revolvers. Especially with the 44 Specials he was shooting out of it.

Unusual for a plainclothes officer, yes, but it was plausible.

I don't see a police officer rocking a S&W 500 unless it's a parody. I also thought about a Desert Eagle, but same problem.

Dirty Harry used a 44 Magnum- the most powerful handgun in the world. Downgrading him to a 40 S&W just isn't gonna cut it

He's carrying a 10mm.

Dirty Harry ran 44 Specials out of his 29, the smokeless powder version of the blackpowder 44 Russian. I believe that the line about the 44 Mag being the most powerful was incorrect even then, to boot.

Falar
08-30-16, 09:48
I thought about it. But it wasn't that unusual for cops at the time to carry six-shot N-frame revolvers. Especially with the 44 Specials he was shooting out of it.

I don't see a police officer rocking a S&W 500 unless it's a parody. I also thought about a Desert Eagle, but same problem.

He's carrying a 10mm.

Dirty Harry ran 44 Specials out of his 29, the smokeless powder version of the blackpowder 44 Russian. I believe that the line about the 44 Mag being the most powerful was incorrect even then, to boot.

.454 Casull had been around since the late 50s but probably was not widely known.

Firefly
08-30-16, 11:02
Actually.... These films are a reflection of the times in which they were made.

Kind of pointless to change their guns.

That's like asking what car should replace the DeLorean if they remade BTTF.

BoringGuy45
08-30-16, 11:51

I think that's what he's saying: If these movies were remade or originally made today and took place in the 2010s, what modern guns would have been used.

Firefly
08-30-16, 12:12
I think that's what he's saying: If these movies were remade or originally made today and took place in the 2010s, what modern guns would have been used.

Glocks and ARs.

And some ugly-ass Scion.

ETA. The Town was a ripoff of Heat and they used HK416s and Glocks. I think one dude had a Para FAL.

MistWolf
08-30-16, 12:17

He's carrying a 10mm.

My brain interpreted "Glock 40" as "Glock in 40". Still, 10mm doesn't say "Dirty Harry".

The line "most powerful handgun in the world" was correct with a couple of caveats. At the time, the 44 Magnum was the most powerful factory available handgun caliber in the world. There were more powerful handguns, but they were chambered for rifle calibers. We knew about the 454 Casul, but it was still in the development stages. (If you knew what the original 454 Casul load consisted of, it would make your hair stand on end).

The case length of the 44 Special is longer than the parent case, the 44 Russian. Which is why they called it the "44 special"
http://www.starlinebrass.com/images/article-images/44-russian-3.jpg

I was originally thinking Dirty Harry could be updated with the 460 Magnum, but it's just not the same

Firefly
08-30-16, 12:23
Dirty Harry probably wouldn't carry a revolver. He would carry a Glock 21/41.

Or maybe a Dillon 9x25.

Arik
08-30-16, 12:26
Glocks and ARs.

And some ugly-ass Scion.

ETA. The Town was a ripoff of Heat and they used HK416s and Glocks. I think one dude had a Para FAL.
AKSU

Firefly
08-30-16, 12:31
AKSU

They might have had an AK, but I remember dude pulling a FAL out during that shootout with the FBI. It was an OSW looking one.

Arik
08-30-16, 12:36
They might have had an AK, but I remember dude pulling a FAL out during that shootout with the FBI. It was an OSW looking one.
They had a lot of cool toys. Even a micro Galil

AKSU
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160830/48335deb4b14772d600a9a7d2bee8e08.jpg

FAL
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160830/636f08584c1a77aa5a4f428a39cb3c14.jpg

Spurholder
08-30-16, 12:37

Or maybe a Dillon 9x25.

Or maybe he'd park his Glock 17 with the chopped grip and pull this out of the safe:

Man, my teenage self used to lust after one of these. Guess it was due to those Mack Bolan books I read.

Firefly
08-30-16, 12:49
The Town really was a conflicting movie.
It had cool guns, Hawkeye, and Roland Tembo.

but it kinda did rip off Heat and it had Ben Affleck.

Missed the Micro Galil. I think one dude had a Sig 553, too.

MistWolf
08-30-16, 14:17

Or maybe a Dillon 9x25.

If Dirty Harry carried an autoloader, it would be the 44 Auto Mag. Not an Austrian plastic import

Good call, Spurholder. Forgot about that

http://content7.flixster.com/question/42/97/69/4297693_std.jpg

Falar
08-30-16, 14:23
If Dirty Harry carried an autoloader, it would be the 44 Auto Mag. Not an Austrian plastic import

Good call, Spurholder. Forgot about that

http://content7.flixster.com/question/42/97/69/4297693_std.jpg

I don't remember the Automag's ballistics to be all that similar to the stronger .44 mag loads.

Modern Dirty Harry would sport a Desert Eagle if it was going to be an autoloader.

titsonritz
08-30-16, 14:31
The chase/airport:
Hanna: Originally a Colt Combat Commander in 45 with ivory stocks. So... Wilson Combat CQB Commander, grey frame, black slide, ivory stocks, one-peice WC round-butt extended magwell.

IIRC it was an Officer's Model.

ETA: Dirty Harry needs a .500 Magnum

Gunfixr
08-30-16, 14:35
Dirty Harry would just keep the auto mag.

The 44amp are just barely hotter than 44 mag. Just barely. And, i think much of that is really due to the lack of barrel/cylinder gap.

I lusted after one of these also, from reading mack Bolan, and then this movie.
Finally got one.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

MistWolf
08-30-16, 14:44
I don't remember the Automag's ballistics to be all that similar to the stronger .44 mag loads

Rule Of Cool. Automag wins

Modern Dirty Harry would sport a Desert Eagle if it was going to be an autoloader.

Rule of Thug Life Derp. "Deagle" loses

elephant
08-30-16, 16:00
HEAT- I disagree, Michael Mann wanted them to be different from the police, he insisted that they use weapons that could easily be found and converted- Neil and Chris wouldn't be caught buying traceable firearms, most likely today they would have the same guns with no optics but possibly a surefire 60rd mag.

Miami Vice- Michael Mann swears that Sonny Crocket carried a Detonics 10mm while imfdb.com and other sources claims he used a Bren/Sig 45. Why did he carry a 10mm and Rico carry a little wimpy .38 revolver? For god sakes, your rolling down South Beach in a white Ferrari, carrying a Saturday night special to 6 figure drug deals. I think Sonny would carry a HK USP 45 and keep a Sig MPX in his Ferrari, meanwhile, Rico would have a HK VP9 and a keltec KSG. Regina and Trudy would have Glocks. Zito and Switek would perhaps have glocks with possible LWRC carbines- for movie sake. - Michael Mann is a simple person, he tries to be authentic as possible yet try to differentiate good vs bad as well as characters and there personalities. You will note that the weapons he chooses for the individual characters for each movie was hand chosen for that particular role. Good guys carry modern and recognizable guns while criminals carry older and cheaper guns. In Miami vice, not one bad guy ever had a M16 or FAL or Galil, only Mac-11's, Tec-9's which were modern but prone to fail-(per Michael Mann).In Heat, the bad guys carried modern guns like M733's, Sig 45's and HKs to show there level of criminal but they drove in crappy cars that were between 4-6 years old while the good guys were carrying FAL's, Mossberg's 500's, Colt 1911's. I have a book on Michael Mann, he really is an incredible director.

SteyrAUG
08-30-16, 17:07
In Miami vice, not one bad guy ever had a M16 or FAL or Galil, only Mac-11's, Tec-9's which were modern but prone to fail-(per Michael Mann).

Not true. In "No Exit" bad guys carried MP5s and broke out a M-60, I think it was "Bushido" where bad guys had CAR-15 with gigantic laser aiming device. Bad guys broke out a PSG1 in the episode about IRA terrorists. "Smugglers Blues" has guys with Uzi's. Other episodes had bad guys with Beretta PM12S and S&W 76s. Zubiena uses a AC556, bad guys in "Glades" use M-16A1s.

elephant
08-30-16, 18:07
Not true. In "No Exit" bad guys carried MP5s and broke out a M-60, I think it was "Bushido" where bad guys had CAR-15 with gigantic laser aiming device. Bad guys broke out a PSG1 in the episode about IRA terrorists. "Smugglers Blues" has guys with Uzi's. Other episodes had bad guys with Beretta PM12S and S&W 76s. Zubiena uses a AC556, bad guys in "Glades" use M-16A1s.

I was just saying that the good guys and the bad guys didn't have the same firearms, Mann wanted the stars of the show to use the best gun at the time while bad guys and henchmen were seen with other types. If a bad guy was a "well to do" he would have a better gun and if the bad guy was an arms dealer he would have appropriate gun. But in general your right, not all bad guys used crappy guns but not all black market guns are the holy grail of guns, usually cheap guns that were easily modified. In TV today, all bad guys would have HK MP5's, SCARS, and high end hard to get guns because most shows today make bad guys out to look sophisticated and technologically savvy with SAT Phones and Toughbooks and all drive black Escalades wearing suits and carrying weapons available to military or law enforcement. Triple 9 got it right by featuring the drug dealers having appropriate guns for running drugs, hi point 9's, glock 17's, older tec-9's and a full auto mac 11. Only one cartel member had a gold slide glock.

SteyrAUG
08-30-16, 19:04
I was just saying that the good guys and the bad guys didn't have the same firearms, Mann wanted the stars of the show to use the best gun at the time while bad guys and henchmen were seen with other types. If a bad guy was a "well to do" he would have a better gun and if the bad guy was an arms dealer he would have appropriate gun. But in general your right, not all bad guys used crappy guns but not all black market guns are the holy grail of guns, usually cheap guns that were easily modified. In TV today, all bad guys would have HK MP5's, SCARS, and high end hard to get guns because most shows today make bad guys out to look sophisticated and technologically savvy with SAT Phones and Toughbooks and all drive black Escalades wearing suits and carrying weapons available to military or law enforcement. Triple 9 got it right by featuring the drug dealers having appropriate guns for running drugs, hi point 9's, glock 17's, older tec-9's and a full auto mac 11. Only one cartel member had a gold slide glock.

That may have been his intent but even in Season One the good guys were also seen with KG-99s, M10s and the like. The reality is, the show had X amount of firearms available to them and eventually everyone used everything. There is even an instance where Switek uses Crocketts Bren Ten.

In Heat, Mann was likely much more thoughtful about good guy guns vs. bad guy guns and he didn't do silly crap like have LEO's rolling Galils. But in Miami Vice, where Mann was the executive producer rather than the director, he didn't have the same kind of influence on details of a given episode.

Spurholder
08-30-16, 20:32
Thanks, fellas. When I first read about the .44AMP, it was described by a gun writer as "chop a .308 case just past the neck, pack it full of powder and place a 240 grain JHP over it. Done."

But that might've been in a Mack Bolan book.

"Sudden Impact," though...

"When used properly, it can remove fingerprints..."

Man, Harry Callahan was a great character.

Firefly
08-30-16, 20:53
Please stop discussing Automags. They are my unicorn. That and a Wildey.

A lot of my less "practical" items are a side effect of being an 80s kid. My AR-180 was solely because of Terminator.

MountainRaven
08-30-16, 20:59

Die Hard is a difficult one. I don't believe NYPD authorized a DA/SA Beretta at the time, so that might make that part easier. But for me the hardest part is John McClane's gun.

The rest is pretty easy-peasy:
MP5s swapped for G36Cs. Karl's AUG becomes an AUG A3 CQC.

I want to give Hans Gruber a Strike One, though.

I love the P7, but they don't make it any more and it's frankly getting a bit dated. But it's also super unique and, well, there really isn't much out there that is super unique these days. So, with "uniqueness" being the goal, I think the Strike One wins. If anyone can think of another high quality (maybe) but very unique firearm, I'm all ears.

Back to McClane.... Initial thought would be a G19, because it's the most common pistol carried by NYPD. But it's a movie, so we're automatically "upgrading" it to a 17.

Which creates a delicious irony with the whole, "Glock Seven, metal detectors can't pick it up," schtick from Die Hard 2.

But the Beretta is an elegant weapon with a lot of character and a Glock... is a soulless killing machine.

A SiG is more of a snob's weapon, which doesn't fit McClane's character (although he did have a P220 in Live Free or Die Hard) and a 3rd Gen S&W seems like a geezer's gun.

You know what? John McClane is supposed to be an everyman. So I'm going to call it for the Glock 17, the Everyman Gun.

I think I have three different DVD releases and I watch it all the time. My wife understands.

Heat should NEVER be remade, it was the all time high water mark for Michael Mann (Public Enemies probably being a close second) and there are few films in it's class from anyone.

Miami Vice got a remake in what might have been Michael Mann's worst film and it should be forgotten. They updated the guns but everything else went in a terrible direction.

If you are going to update or remake something, pick something that has potential but wasn't very great like the original "Man on Fire" (1987). Ironically enough a lot of the 80s Schwarzenegger films are excellent candidates for a more serious film. From "Commando" (1985) to "Predator" (1987) there is lots of opportunity. Imagine if "Predator" was given the same feel as "Act of Valor" (2012) or "Commando was approached like "Man on Fire" (2004).

The purpose is not so much that X movie should be remade, but rather how the characters would be armed in a hypothetical remake. Meaning, if they were to remake, say, Heat, and you were the film's armorer, how would you recommend the writers/directors/producers arm the characters?

I don't remember the Automag's ballistics to be all that similar to the stronger .44 mag loads.

Desert Eagle is full on clown shoes. Ditto-ditto the 460 and 500.

Have you ever seen a movie with those guns in it? They're not weapons for a gritty, hard-nosed, hard-boiled detective.

IIRC it was an Officer's Model.

ETA: Dirty Harry needs a .500 Magnum

You're correct. But given the issues with the smaller frame, he's getting a Commander-sized gun, anyway. :p

No one wants to watch a movie about real criminals. Real criminals are boring. What's worse is that the cops have to be pretty inept for these realistic criminals to be a threat (which is frankly probably not something we really want much of, when we're getting stories about police shooting and killing people accidentally or cops filling the air with lead around a perp, hitting mostly bystanders or nothing at all - audiences want competent cops and dangerous criminals - criminals who are dangerous because they are very, very competent). Sherlock Holmes has Professor Moriarty because Holmes is so good that having him bust actual Victorian-era-type criminals would be yawn-inducing.

In any event, I'm pretty sure that Mann is one of the chief architects of the hyper-competent, black Escalade-driving criminal bad guy archetype.

Further, with the exception of Waingro, the crims in Heat were all well-armed, with then state-of-the-art firearms. I mean, the USP had only just come out when Heat went into theaters and it's the first handgun we see McCauley use - and it, in turn, gets replaced by another high dollar handgun, a SiG P220. No signs of 3rd Gen S&Ws or Glocks or any other cheap and commonly available handgun for the bad guys.

As for easily traceable... LOL. Ever hear of Fast & Furious? Those guns are so easily traceable, right? Never mind that McCauley and his crew seem to like Willie-Pete'ing any weapons they've shot in the commission of a crime.

Further, the arms selected were a representation of commonly used SOF weaponry. If the SAS or Delta were going to rob a bank in 1995, they would probably have chosen the very same weapons as McCauley and his crew. Hanna and his detectives used weapons commonly available to police officers and the sorts of guns that police officers would have chosen for the mission at hand - apprehending extremely dangerous criminals, like McCauley's crew.

That McCauley's crew and Hanna's officers would be rocking similar guns in 2016 is not so much a function of their weapons coming from different sources, but because the arms that SOF and police officers commonly choose today are so very similar, some 21 years after Heat's release.

WRT Tubbs and the guns of Tubbs... the revolver he carried was a common plainclothes police sidearm and a common concealed piece. Further, Tubbs's primary weapon was his shotgun. In fact, in one of the later episodes, Trudy or Gina ask Tubbs if he brought his "back up gun" and... he hands them his revolver. I'm sure that if it ever became an issue, it would be easy enough to say that Tubbs spends his money on jewelry, Hugo Boss suits, and women while Crockett spends his on guns and cars and parachute pants.

That may have been his intent but even in Season One the good guys were also seen with KG-99s, M10s and the like. The reality is, the show had X amount of firearms available to them and eventually everyone used everything. There is even an instance where Switek uses Crocketts Bren Ten.

In Heat, Mann was likely much more thoughtful about good guy guns vs. bad guy guns and he didn't do silly crap like have LEO's rolling Galils. But in Miami Vice, where Mann was the executive producer rather than the director, he didn't have the same kind of influence on details of a given episode.

I believe that Zubiena also used a SPAS-12 in an episode directed by Mann. I also thought he used a Galil SAR, although I might be misremembering.

Firefly
08-30-16, 21:09
Rewriting history is lame.

I liked Watchmen for the small details. Comedian's hidden armory was pretty high speed for 1985 yet it had no anachronism. One may argue the D&L 1911s were a stretch but I chalk that up to Dr. Manhattan miracling him up some high deal 1911s. But he had HKs, CAR-15s, and a SPAS-12.

Plus all the cops carried Model 10s except for Ozymandias' PSD who had no joke Gen 1 Glocks.

I liked Demition Man because Wesley Snipes shot at Stallone with a G11

MountainRaven
08-30-16, 21:21
Double-post, but I wanted a separate post for this...

Back to Miami Vice:

Tubbs. Carried a S&W J-frame, a common plainclothes police gun and a common concealed carry gun. So he gets a Glock 19.

As for the long gun... he commonly rocked a sawed off side-by-side, then went to an Ithaca, then an 870. So I'd say a Serbu Super-Shorty (which I believe Jaime Foxx's Tubbs carried in the movie), but eventually update it to a folding stock SBS'd VEPR or Saiga 12 or maybe a Crye/Vantage Arms Six12, if they ever get around to putting them into production.

Trudy and Gina get G19s or G26s. Zwitek gets a Wilson Combat/Beretta 92G BrigTac and Zito gets a 5906 (because that's what you get for dying in Season Three!).

I think Castillo gets a 1911. Let's say a Wilson Combat CQB, two-tone (stainless steel frame, blued or black slide) with double-diamond checkered plain Cocobolo grips.

SteyrAUG
08-30-16, 21:21
I believe that Zubiena also used a SPAS-12 in an episode directed by Mann. I also thought he used a Galil SAR, although I might be misremembering.

Correct on the SPAS-12, but Mann didn't direct a single episode of Miami Vice. They had lots of directors and most never did more than three episodes. That is why the show was at times terribly inconsistent and at one point simply got weird. The only show Mann directed at the time was "Crime Story."

MountainRaven
08-30-16, 21:26
The Town was a ripoff of Heat and they used HK416s and Glocks. I think one dude had a Para FAL.

Honestly, part of the reason why this isn't super serious is because you can't remake Heat. And The Town just kind of helped prove it.

Anyone using guns to knock over a bank for huge sums of money today is an idiot. Sure in 1995, a bank might have a bunch of cash on hand to cover payroll. But how much lesser is that going to be now that most everybody pays for most everything with PayPal, debit cards, and credit cards?

If someone were going to rob a bank today, they'd simply hack into the bank and steal a couple million credit- and debit card numbers.

Correct on the SPAS-12, but Mann didn't direct a single episode of Miami Vice. They had lots of directors and most never did more than three episodes. That is why the show was at times terribly inconsistent and at one point simply got weird. The only show Mann directed at the time was "Crime Story."

Gotcha. Point being (same as yours, I believe) that Mann seems to like his criminals to be well equipped.

elephant
08-31-16, 00:06
I think Fjallhrafn is right about the stereotype criminals- most criminals are lame and not exciting enough to watch on the big screen. I can remember a time where a group of criminals robbed a bank with HK 416 a5's wearing Armanis suits and ski mast, while 3 black Escalades were waiting outside to take them to the airport to hop on there Gulfstream IV SP while a van intercepted and scramble police radio chatter. It does seem that police are in a way the underdog and assume that we root for the underdog as well as the good guy.

One of Manns greatest movies was Collateral with Tom Cruise. He used an HK USP 45 and knocked 2 guys down in 1 second from holster to retention. The club scene, where he walked into a Korean club and iced 10 people and walked out like he owned the place only to pop a undercover cop twice in the chest while waiting for his cab driver- BRILLIANT!. But then he lost that gun and was using a S&W 4006 on the Metro- ever notice how Neil from Heat and Vincent from Collateral wore almost identical suites and carried almost identical weapons- both were soft spoken, straight to the point and had razor sharp precision with a pistol.

Some guns that have been used are classic and timeless, Dirty Harry would have used the same style gun most likey, perhaps nickel plated, the 70's era suit and haircut would most like be updated first.

Firefly
08-31-16, 01:01
Actually you couldn't really remake Dirty Harry. There is shit officers could do 10 years ago that would get you crucified for today. Not "bad" stuff either. But people are a lot more touchy touchy.

A lanky white dude tear-assing around a predominantly gay, heavily hispanic city and working homicide which, sadly, happens in primarily poor and black parts of town toting a revolber in what is essentially a a hunting cartridge and then using a Winchester 70 in .458 Magnum as a longarm just would not freaking happen.

I got a few crossways glances for getting a .45 ACP approved because I just went to too many classes with it, have a lot of muscle memory behind it, know it, and don't care for .40.

I know "it's just a movie" but all these cool renegades, rebels, and master criminals really just don't exist anymore.

FJ was right. Why go in with guns blazing when you can find a Russian, Chinese, or whatnot to just hack it? Ever see blackhat? No? Didn't think so. It was about stuff like that and it was directed by THE Michael Mann. And it was BORING. Because real, hardcore gangster mess is BORING. It's essentially bureaucracy without bullshit.

Even in 1997 the Hollywood robbers had guns, body armor, and I think one dude was in the Polish army or something. They were also powerlifters. The only reason they didn't get killed off sooner was because of the pusscake 9mm loads and buckshot. Slugs and any kind of .223 would (and did) end that quick fast and in a hurry.

Really most crime is this:

So and So gets ripped off by such and such. He beats up or shoots such and such. So and So's mom/baby momma/cousin/dude he pissed off drops a dime. So and so gets his tight little ass snatched up by warrants butt naked at 0 Dark 30 at his baby momma house. Occasionally he is tased. The End.

If he runs and shoots, he gets some .40 or .223 up his ass. Vigils are held, someone starts shouting "Jesus! Jesus! Jesus!" At least one black dude with dreads and no shirt on, eating cereal will be on TV saying "Cops didn't need to shoot the dude like that. We went to church together. They shoulda gave him drop the gun or something"

The whole trail of tears. Wah.

In a way, cops and robbers have kinda died like the American Western. That's why the bad guy is always some rich white dude neo-nazi or some overplayed Russian mobsters.

In fact......most action movies are lame. I saw John Wick on TV the other day and was like....this is lame.

In fact, just being in the now.....Strike Back was AWESOME. They usually wore street clothes except for when they had to cammie up and literally killed everybody from LA to Tokyo. But they ended that series.

Flashpoint was also more realustic. Sit, Wait And Talk...play some mind games, get dude to give up. And if he didn't, he got shot with a rack grade Remington 700 and a 10x scope.

So bleah

elephant
08-31-16, 01:17
Ever see blackhat? No? Didn't think so. It was about stuff like that and it was directed by THE Michael Mann. And it was BORING. Because real, hardcore gangster mess is BORING. .

yeah like 10 times, to be honest, it was good for the time it was released, there was a lot of talk about Russian hackers, Chinese hackers and Edward Snowden- I mean the idea of shorting soy commodities to bank roll a nuclear power plant meld down to control water was kind of lame but was overall a good movie. I gave it one of the best rating ever: I gave it 100 starts out of 5 (100/5⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐)and 2 👍 👍 :) Defiantly not one of Mann's best but a lot better than Hackers with Angela Jolie.

Firefly
08-31-16, 01:27
Um.....blackhat may have been more "realistic" but I would sooner watch Hackers. It embodied everything good about 1995. Heroin Chic Angelina Jolie, the black dude with the knives from the Crow (seriously why did he not get more movies?), young Matthew Lillard, slang that spoke to ME and MY generation. Plus the DEFINITIVE techno/euro alt soundtrack of the era.

Maybe it was all bullshit. Maybe transparent macbooks weren't comercially available, but it wasn't about that. It was about THE TIMES, maaan.

Skipping school, stayimg up late, eating junk, hanging with your buds, skateboarding, and dressing like a bad Gap advertisement.

SteyrAUG
08-31-16, 02:21
In a way, cops and robbers have kinda died like the American Western. That's why the bad guy is always some rich white dude neo-nazi or some overplayed Russian mobsters.

In fact......most action movies are lame. I saw John Wick on TV the other day and was like....this is lame.

Tried to watch John Wick, but Keanu Reeves sucks as much as Tom Cruise lately. Can't take either one seriously and they do mostly shitty movies.

And I think you are onto something with crime drama going the way of the Western, except of course for "Hip Hop Crime Dramas" which sadly seem to be here forever.

Like Westerns, you get a good one now and then like "Open Range", "Tombstone" or "3:10 To Yuma", but those are the exceptions. Doesn't matter I have a full library of "Adam 12", "Streets of San Francisco", "Dragnet", "The Untouchables", "Hill Street Blues" and a dozen other golden era police dramas to keep me entertained.

I only wish they'd release "High Incident" on DVD, that was to police dramas what "Strike Back" was to shows about shadow enforcement groups.

vigilant2
08-31-16, 04:23
Surprised no one mentioned a LARS Grizzly in .45 Winchester Magnum for a Dirty Harry redux.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-31-16, 12:35

I see Hollywood giving Harry a Judge (yuck) and overplaying the all powerful .410 shell.

Big A
08-31-16, 13:00
I just wish they would stop screwing suppressors INTO barrels...

SteyrAUG
08-31-16, 13:19
I just wish they would stop screwing suppressors INTO barrels...

There is such thing as a ghost thread you know.

But the main reason is most "Hollywood" guns have been internally threaded for an in the barrel BFA of some kind so the threads are already there. Still better than the silencers that slip over the barrel and thumbscrew into place, on a revolver no less. This was commonly seen on shows like "The Untouchables."

Firefly
08-31-16, 15:10
I agree about High Incident. Watched it as a teenybopper as I liked David Keith's guy. The one where they re-did the Hollywood robbery stood out the most and IIRC was the last episode.

It was pretty extreme for TV at the time.

SteyrAUG
08-31-16, 15:54
I agree about High Incident. Watched it as a teenybopper as I liked David Keith's guy. The one where they re-did the Hollywood robbery stood out the most and IIRC was the last episode.

It was pretty extreme for TV at the time.

Pretty sure it was the last show where cops were the good guys and criminals were the bad guys and it wasn't about cops trying to help criminals who were really good guys who needed a chance.

Even Blue Bloods, which I mostly watch because I like Tom Selleck, frequently shows that "cops are often the bad guys" and the "protestors who decry police violence" are often vindicated. And that is probably the most pro LE show on TV today. Kinda sad.

Firefly
08-31-16, 16:53
A lot of police have flaws which is part of being human.

In my time I can say there were only a handful I truly despised as men, but they ended up in prison after a while anyways. The rest were just dumb or misguided and in time got squared away. Someone being an asshole doesn't mean they are unlawful.

Anyways karma is real. If people got presented a more positive look at people who actually make shit happen than the "woe is me" narrative, attitudes might change.

People seriously need to stop telling their kids that the police exist just to put them in jail.

I actually googled High Incident (having not thought of it in a while) and everyone aside from one or two cool guys were toting USPs. Pretty high speed for the mid 90s when most people had Berettas, 3rd gen Smiths, or revolvers.

elephant
08-31-16, 18:26
one thing is for sure, a lot of the guns used in Miami Vice didn't stick around long enough. for instance, Detonics Combat master/Score Master, High Standard 10, Star z62, KG99, Mac 10, Spas 12, Ithaca 37, Mossberg 500 bullpup, and a few others. Cool for the 80s but not for the mid to late 90s.

Dennis
08-31-16, 18:32
High Incident was a pretty good show even as I was starting out in LE. What killed me is that they were doing a TJ Hooker rebrand of LAPD and the title was a complete screw up of the dispatch for a "Code 2 High Incident". Which should read as an Incident with "Code 2 High" status. 'High Incident" actually means nothing...

My petty annoyances aside, still a good show and paved the way for Southland.

The new Bosch series on Amazon is very good and even filmed at LAPD stations. To keep with this thread even though the show is a compilation of older Michael Connelly novels, the main characters weapon is correctly updated to a Kimber 1911 and an unlikely but possibly correct Colt 933.

Dennis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
08-31-16, 18:59
one thing is for sure, a lot of the guns used in Miami Vice didn't stick around long enough. for instance, Detonics Combat master/Score Master, High Standard 10, Star z62, KG99, Mac 10, Spas 12, Ithaca 37, Mossberg 500 bullpup, and a few others. Cool for the 80s but not for the mid to late 90s.

Most were either banned from import in 89 (Bush Ban) or banned from manufacture by the Clinton ban.

For example, KG99 started as the open bolt KG-9, but open bolts got banned in 81 or 82 and reclassed as machine guns. KG-99 was declared "readily convertable" and became the Tec-9. Then the Clinton ban ended domestic production of the Tec 9. After the Clinton ban it was available as some other model that I can't remember.

Certainly the High Standard 10 had a very short shelf life, despite being designed as a SWAT weapon it proved to be not very practical. The SPAS 12 was considered "THE" military shotgun until Benelli introduced the M1S90 and eliminated it from the market.

But a lot of them just shared a similar fate with the Valmet. It was a great gun, but US gun legislation eliminated it from the market and it was imported in such small numbers that it almost became a curiosity firearm. One thing I do know, Miami Vice sold a lot of those guns. If it was on Miami Vice, gun owners had to have it.

Arik
08-31-16, 19:21
I thought the SPAS was banned

Firefly
08-31-16, 20:30

Not banned. I had one. See my M4C photo album. They just aren't imported/made anymore. The last SPAS-12 ever made was in 1999. Benelli pretty much rendered it obsolete. A fun gun but not without some fleas.

Interesting about High Incident being gibberish. I dunno squat about Left coast radio codes. I was a teenybopper but liked it. David Keith used a revolver. And again I just found out today the other cops used a USP which is notable. It was super new back then. Also Spielberg was behind it. Surprising it was so short lived.

As for Miami Vice, I think they just picked what looked cool and ran with it. Honestly a lot of those guns were kinda crappy in hindsight. But it is notable for being the first show to use a Glock.

Gunfixr
08-31-16, 20:54
Thanks, fellas. When I first read about the .44AMP, it was described by a gun writer as "chop a .308 case just past the neck, pack it full of powder and place a 240 grain JHP over it. Done."

But that might've been in a Mack Bolan book.

"Sudden Impact," though...

"When used properly, it can remove fingerprints..."

Man, Harry Callahan was a great character.
Well, back in the day, I heard some people pretty much did just that.
Supposedly, according to an article I read a long time ago, an automag was sent back because some intrepid reloader just stuffed the case full, since he had heard that the gun was so brutally strong you couldn't blow it up. When he pulled the trigger, there was a roar, but the action didn't open.
Turned out, the lugs on the bolt had actually been set back some, but it held. The factory fitted a new bolt and returned it.
Or so the article reads.

Anyway, in the loading manual, the powder charges go very little, if any, over 44mag, but velocities are higher. Not a lot, but some.

Gunfixr
08-31-16, 20:54
Please stop discussing Automags. They are my unicorn. That and a Wildey.

A lot of my less "practical" items are a side effect of being an 80s kid. My AR-180 was solely because of Terminator.
You want I should post pics of one?

Gunfixr
08-31-16, 21:02
Surprised no one mentioned a LARS Grizzly in .45 Winchester Magnum for a Dirty Harry redux.
Well, to the uninitiated, it's just a 1911. Most would never see that it's a bit different, shooting a more powerful round.

SteyrAUG
08-31-16, 21:15

Eventually, but the Benelli was killing it before the 89 ban.

SteyrAUG
08-31-16, 21:19
Not banned. I had one. See my M4C photo album. They just aren't imported/made anymore. The last SPAS-12 ever made was in 1999. Benelli pretty much rendered it obsolete. A fun gun but not without some fleas.

The original was banned in 89. They then imported a limited capacity magazine model with a fixed stock until that configuration became unimportable due to the Clinton ban. Franchi may have ended production in 2000, but after 94 they would have only been importable for LE or government use.

Firefly
08-31-16, 21:39
The original was banned in 89. They then imported a limited capacity magazine model with a fixed stock until that configuration became unimportable due to the Clinton ban. Franchi may have ended production in 2000, but after 94 they would have only been importable for LE or government use.

If you mean Bush ban, I stand corrected. However some people insist it was made a Destructive Device like the Streetsweeper and USAS 12, which was a Clinton thing.

Regardless, it simply was, as you say, outmoded by the Benelli.

As for Automags, sure why not

Hank6046
08-31-16, 21:48
I watched Ronin recently and when Rob De Niro uses a 1911, I can only imagine him with a TRP, Dan Wesson or Wilson Combat vs. circa Vietnam style 1911 he is shooting in the movie. Also I just wish movies and shows would be more accurate as to tactics and weapons manipulations, one of my father in laws favorite is NICS only for me to cringe when some one so horribly tea-cups the pistol with the most awkward foot position. The guns they use could essentially stay the same, the way they use them could improve vastly.

Spurholder
08-31-16, 21:59
You want I should post pics of one?

Yours? Hell yes. I'd love to see it..

Jellybean
08-31-16, 22:45

In fact, just being in the now.....Strike Back was AWESOME. They usually wore street clothes except for when they had to cammie up and literally killed everybody from LA to Tokyo. But they ended that series.

Truth.
Reeves is good with the guns, I'll give him that, but.... it was so wasted on that movie.

Strike Back was awesome, I just got so tired of Conderp everything, and occasional "there's no way they survived that" moments.
But as far as cool guns and some decent tacticals, and general badassery, it will be missed.

SteyrAUG
09-01-16, 01:09
But as far as cool guns and some decent tacticals, and general badassery, it will be missed.

At least they knew when to end it and didn't try to drag it out for 5 more seasons.

MountainRaven
09-01-16, 01:09
Why go in with guns blazing when you can find a Russian, Chinese, or whatnot to just hack it? Ever see blackhat? No? Didn't think so. It was about stuff like that and it was directed by THE Michael Mann. And it was BORING. Because real, hardcore gangster mess is BORING. It's essentially bureaucracy without bullshit.

I watched Black Hat a couple of weeks ago. I don't think it was any more boring than Heat or Thief or Public Enemies.

But I don't think it was up to Mann's usual standard. Although, to be honest, I don't think he's a very good director, or perhaps more accurately a very consistent director. His movies seem to be all over the place from the awesome (Heat) to the bwah? (Miami Vice, the movie).

Tried to watch John Wick, but Keanu Reeves sucks as much as Tom Cruise lately.

Y'all are nuts. John Wick was f___ing awesome. Unlike certain other actors, they put genuine effort into their firearms handling, see Cruise dumping many thousands of rounds (live ammunition, not blanks) to train up for Collateral and Reeves burning sh_t down with Taran Butler to prep for John Wick 2.

I think Fjallhrafn is right about the stereotype criminals- most criminals are lame and not exciting enough to watch on the big screen. I can remember a time where a group of criminals robbed a bank with HK 416 a5's wearing Armanis suits and ski mast, while 3 black Escalades were waiting outside to take them to the airport to hop on there Gulfstream IV SP while a van intercepted and scramble police radio chatter. It does seem that police are in a way the underdog and assume that we root for the underdog as well as the good guy.

I believe that Orson Scott Card has said something to the effect of the bad guys need to be a threat to the good guys to get us to root for the good guys. The best way of doing that is to make the good guys underdogs fighting impossible odds.

The Wolverines have the Soviet Union. Luke Skywalker has the Galactic Empire. Adama, Apollo, and Starbuck have the Cylons. Jason Bourne has the CIA. James Bond has SPECTRE. Captain America has Hydra (and SHIELD). &c., &c., &c.

One of Manns greatest movies was Collateral with Tom Cruise. He used an HK USP 45 and knocked 2 guys down in 1 second from holster to retention. The club scene, where he walked into a Korean club and iced 10 people and walked out like he owned the place only to pop a undercover cop twice in the chest while waiting for his cab driver- BRILLIANT!. But then he lost that gun and was using a S&W 4006 on the Metro- ever notice how Neil from Heat and Vincent from Collateral wore almost identical suites and carried almost identical weapons- both were soft spoken, straight to the point and had razor sharp precision with a pistol.

Collateral is, IMHO, the best Michael Mann movie I have seen to date. It never drags (like Heat, Black Hat, and Public Enemies do), the action is quick and smart, and the whole movie is like a giant onion of symbolism wrapped in more symbolism. The links to Heat and Jason Statham's The Transporter series are neat and all... but it's layers within layers of philosophy and symbolism that keep me coming back (that and Tom Cruise running a USP45 in that high dollar, low visibility bespoke suit). And if you don't want any of that or cannot be arsed, it's a good actiony drama.

Koshinn
09-01-16, 03:52
I believe that Orson Scott Card has said something to the effect of the bad guys need to be a threat to the good guys to get us to root for the good guys. The best way of doing that is to make the good guys underdogs fighting impossible odds.

The Wolverines have the Soviet Union. Luke Skywalker has the Galactic Empire. Adama, Apollo, and Starbuck have the Cylons. Jason Bourne has the CIA. James Bond has SPECTRE. Captain America has Hydra (and SHIELD). &c., &c., &c.

This is very true. If you watch The Last Ship or the later seasons of Strike Back, they just mow down bad guys left and right. These enemies never stood a chance, they run out and then die. I don't ever feel like the main characters are at risk. Sure they can get captured, but it's always that stereotypical sequence where all the enemies magically appear around them at the same time, yet the good guys forget to shoot like they normally do.

A good antagonist is just as important, if not more important, than a good protagonist. And it's important to have the antagonist win from time to time, or all you get is a pathetic cardboard cutout for a villain, a mere punching bag for the hero.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy senseless ass kicking in movies, but it doesn't make a great movie by itself. It makes a decent action scene.

Big A
09-01-16, 07:24
There is such thing as a ghost thread you know.

But the main reason is most "Hollywood" guns have been internally threaded for an in the barrel BFA of some kind so the threads are already there. Still better than the silencers that slip over the barrel and thumbscrew into place, on a revolver no less. This was commonly seen on shows like "The Untouchables."

Yes, but how common is it? I've heard of it but never seen it for pistols to mount suppressors.

ramairthree
09-01-16, 08:12
John Wick needs to team up with collateral Vincent's twin brother in an epic buddy assassin movie where they uncover a sitting presidents ties to communists and terrorist funding and who screwed him over and got his buddies killed and left him for dead when he was in the CIA, when they were SecDef,
Who is linked to democratic politicians ties to making bank off of shady medical legislation,
Linked to a criminal organization that owned the organization that screwed wick over.

They meet pursuing the same foes,
Have the initial superheroe/buddy cop friction/fight before realizing they are on the same side and that Wick's died wife because of these shady medical shenanigans tied to the shady democrats shady medical relations.

They take down Muslim criminal organization, finish off some scumbag rich politicians screwing over medical stuff, using the latest, high tech, super expensive and cool guns.
Find themselves on the run and empty handed.

They link up with some weird martial artist Middle aged DJ in Florida,
Kit up with the greatest hits of the 80s in Guns from his collection,
Pile into a 4Runner they carjack from some smart accountant ex-marine with the crabs,

Break into an NSA information node,
Force some desk jockey IT guy who keeps mumbling about being an alphabet soup squirrel with a government email, 93R, and sniper trained who was a "contract operator" guarding chow hall supplies for KBR to log them in, and upload every politicians shady data to the Internet,

And culminate with taking down queen of evil sitting prez.

Amercia gets a soft reset without a civil or race war,
The republic lives on as intended.

The_War_Wagon
09-01-16, 08:34

OK.. admitting this, & ALONG those lines;

I wanna see every John Wayne western re-made, with him packing blinged-out .50AE Desert Eagles.

http://orig08.deviantart.net/1aa5/f/2011/243/0/d/pimp_my_deagle_by_dracu_teufel666-d48f8bz.jpg

While wearing sunglasses, and this hat.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_tNJpWBC2vxs/S9Sqzw9MryI/AAAAAAAABKI/-T2WlrPD5PQ/s1600/PimpHatSugarDaddyPurpleLg.jpg

:cool:

Yeah, I just had four Krispy Kremes and coffee for breakfast - my mind is working overtime. :dance3: (please don't ban me!)

SteyrAUG
09-01-16, 13:51
I watched Black Hat a couple of weeks ago. I don't think it was any more boring than Heat or Thief or Public Enemies.

But I don't think it was up to Mann's usual standard. Although, to be honest, I don't think he's a very good director, or perhaps more accurately a very consistent director. His movies seem to be all over the place from the awesome (Heat) to the bwah? (Miami Vice, the movie).

Every director has a failure, for Mann it was "Miami Vice." Even Scorcese had a dud with "Mean Streets."

Y'all are nuts. John Wick was f___ing awesome. Unlike certain other actors, they put genuine effort into their firearms handling, see Cruise dumping many thousands of rounds (live ammunition, not blanks) to train up for Collateral and Reeves burning sh_t down with Taran Butler to prep for John Wick 2.

Gun handling cannot save a terrible movie. "Way of the Gun" should have been epic, but it sucked. Good gun handling terrible movie. I liked Cruise in "Collateral", the gun handling was a bonus, but "Edge of Tomorrow", ""Oblivion", "Jack Reacher", "War of the Worlds" and all of the Mission Impossible sequels were horrible. Don't even get me started on "The Last Samurai."

SteyrAUG
09-01-16, 13:54
Yes, but how common is it? I've heard of it but never seen it for pistols to mount suppressors.

Again, the more common reason is usually the answer.

elephant
09-01-16, 15:22
Every director has a failure, for Mann it was "Miami Vice."

I wouldn't say that, Miami Vice had Mann's signature film style which is consistent to Thief, Collateral, The Insider & Heat. Not only did he direct those movies, he wrote them as well. Miami Vice was a good movie, it was darker and more sophisticated than the 1980s series with the same name, I felt that the cast was the problem. But as far as aesthetics and overall vibe, it was one of his best and he put his heart and soul into that movie. Heat was all around awesome, some of the story about there individual private lives got old but made for a great conversation over coffee at the diner. Collateral has almost no dialoged which was an important character, if you were in the back of a Taxi and you were going to kill 16 people in 1 night, you wouldn't have much to say either. I think Mann understands criminals more than he understands good guys, he knows there behavior, patterns, demeanor and confidence. If you look at Neil, Chris, Vincent, Frank and Nick: there all bad guys who are prepared, confident but a silent type introverts who use facial expressions to communicate thoughts and expressions, they only talk when they need to talk, they ask questions, they are good listeners who are slow to give feedback, who are not interested in worldly things. Where as the good guys he portrays as obsessive compulsive, over thinkers, micro managers, temperamental, aggressive, short attention spans etc.

Averageman
09-01-16, 15:41
If still alive, I wonder what Sam Peckinpah would be directing today?
With "The Wild Bunch", "Major Dundee" "Cross of Iron" and "The Killer Elite" to his credit, where would he have gone with today's technology?

Pilot1
09-01-16, 15:44
If still alive, I wonder what Sam Peckinpah would be directing today?
With "The Wild Bunch", "Major Dundee" "Cross of Iron" and "The Killer Elite" to his credit, where would he have gone with today's technology?

G*d I hope the don't make a remake of the Wild Bunch.

Firefly
09-01-16, 15:56
Remaking The Wild Bunch should be a Federal offense.

I saw a preview of The Magnificent Seven remake and I highly doubt a gaggle of black dudes, Natives, Chinese, Mexicans and so forth would be traipsing about righting wrongs like the A-Team without the US Army or just a plain ol' drunken posse up their asses back in them days.

I swear this revisionist history shit is gonna screw up people's concept of what happened.

I suspect in the year 3016 they will make a Vietnam War movie of guys wearing M81 Woodland, toting Mk. 18s, jamming out to Limp Bizkit on their iPods and the PSG will be a transwoman and the PL a Muslim dude with a beard.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-01-16, 20:29
Remaking The Wild Bunch should be a Federal offense.

I saw a preview of The Magnificent Seven remake and I highly doubt a gaggle of black dudes, Natives, Chinese, Mexicans and so forth would be traipsing about righting wrongs like the A-Team without the US Army or just a plain ol' drunken posse up their asses back in them days.

I swear this revisionist history shit is gonna screw up people's concept of what happened.

I suspect in the year 3016 they will make a Vietnam War movie of guys wearing M81 Woodland, toting Mk. 18s, jamming out to Limp Bizkit on their iPods and the PSG will be a transwoman and the PL a Muslim dude with a beard.

I'd watch the hell out of that.

Firefly
09-02-16, 19:22
I'd watch the hell out of that.

Directed by Uwe Boll

MountainRaven
09-02-16, 22:41
Directed by Uwe Boll

Uwe Boll will have been dead for almost a thousand years by then, though.

MountainRaven
09-02-16, 23:59

And on that note...

Season 2 of Netflix's Narcos opens with Pablo Escobar walking through a Columbian army checkpoint where the soldiers are all armed with Galil ACEs.

Slightly anachronistic for 1992.

Firefly
09-03-16, 00:05
And on that note...

Season 2 of Netflix's Narcos opens with Pablo Escobar walking through a Columbian army checkpoint where the soldiers are all armed with Galil ACEs.

Time travelers. Didn't you ever see Time Cop?

I think it would be badass to give the 101st airborne Glock 19s, ARs, and Carl Gustavs for Normandy. I fear intervention in the Atomizing of Japan because well I wouldn't want certain umm.....cultural offerings tentacle hentai to be altered.

Gunfixr
09-06-16, 10:25
Yours? Hell yes. I'd love to see it..
Well, here ya go.
It's a TDE north Hollywood, which was the second run after the original Pasadena guns. I do have the original box, but no papers, or tools. It did come with one extra mag, I built the other 3. The original grips a partially broken, and those wood grips were on the gun. I have acquired a lot of parts, as I intend to shoot it.
I set up this pelican case, holds the gun, the mags, lube, and tools.
I have a shoulder holster and dual mag pouches as well.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160906/3788347fcbaeeaf5348d0b00de80b264.jpg

Firefly
09-06-16, 13:37
^^^^^^^

That's Hot

Big A
09-06-16, 14:33
And on that note...

Season one had the main DEA agents's K5 Blazer magically become a 1996 Bronco (at least they were both black) the reporter mistress was riding in a early 2000's 3 series Beemer and El Presidente de Republica la Columbia was riding around in a mid mid 2000's Tahoe...

26 Inf
09-06-16, 21:42
Season one had the main DEA agents's K5 Blazer magically become a 1996 Bronco (at least they were both black) the reporter mistress was riding in a early 2000's 3 series Beemer and El Presidente de Republica la Columbia was riding around in a mid mid 2000's Tahoe...

Sid the Producer: 'Okay, I took a meeting with the money guys you can either have an action director, or a continuity director, not both. Which is it? I mean out of the 3,000,000 we got budgeted for this, 40,000 for someone to make sure the guns and cars match is a deal breaker. Who loves ya baby?'

daniel87
09-07-16, 03:31
Gyro jet carbine. With rifle sized ammo

That is it.

1-6 scope lots of gyro jet ammo

Looked cool on a history channel episode

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk