PDA

View Full Version : Colt SP 1 for 1500; should I buy it???

HansTheHobbit
08-30-16, 18:09
I have the opportunity to buy a Colt SP 1 for 1500, maybe a little less if I can barter him down. It's had 100 rounds through it, so it's basically new. Date is 1972, it has 2 Colt 20 round mags, and it even has the original manual.

I've wanted one for a while. Is that a fair price considering it's in perfect condition?

scottryan
08-30-16, 19:56
That is the going rate for a SP1 with no box.

HansTheHobbit
08-30-16, 20:30

Does it make any difference that it's in like new condition? The thing is literally immaculate.

ExplorinInTheWoods
08-30-16, 20:34
I say go for it, I used to have a 4 digit serial number SP1, sold it when my dad had health issues.

dsk
08-31-16, 15:34

Locally, yes. Online they sell for much more, as the folks living behind enemy lines are willing to pay much more than the rest of us for a legal pre-ban rifle. If you like the rifle definitely get it. BTW being 1972 manufacture it should have a chrome-lined chamber, but the bore probably isn't. Therefore check the bore for any signs of corrosion.

RIBZ
09-02-16, 18:58
I have been considering a Colt SP1. The average price for sold SP1 rifles on GunBroker is $1700. They are higher here when you find one in a local pawn or gun shop. If it is immaculate as you stated above, I say go for it.

Firefly
09-02-16, 19:23
You either want it or you don't

HansTheHobbit
09-02-16, 19:36
You either want it or you don't

Oh, I want it alright. I've never seen a gun yet that I didn't want.:laugh:

Det-Sog
09-02-16, 21:24
I love my old SP1 that I bought new in 1985. I'll never sell it. I'd probably seriously consider that price for a "like new" if I already did not have one.

williejc
09-02-16, 21:36
A physician friend of mine was looking at a Colt AR at a lgs as we talked, and he asked my advice. His concern was that it was $75 too high, and he thought that he could have a buddy order one in and save money. I explained that he had just unpacked a new one that had just arrived; that there was no funny business about its origin or what somebody else might have swapped out on it. Further I explained that with the situation we face, $100 one way or the other did not matter, especially since the gun was slightly below retail. This event was 7 months ago. Now, my advice would be buy it and don't let $250 prevent your purchase. We are running out of time. Act or get off the pot.

jsharp
09-02-16, 23:17
A physician friend of mine was looking at a Colt AR at a lgs as we talked, and he asked my advice. His concern was that it was $75 too high, and he thought that he could have a buddy order one in and save money. I explained that he had just unpacked a new one that had just arrived; that there was no funny business about its origin or what somebody else might have swapped out on it. Further I explained that with the situation we face, $100 one way or the other did not matter, especially since the gun was slightly below retail. This event was 7 months ago. Now, my advice would be buy it and don't let $250 prevent your purchase. We are running out of time. Act or get off the pot.

I've already let too many guns go by thinking I'd always be able to pick one up. Not any more. Given the potential Hillary situation the part in bold is especially true.

Det-Sog
09-03-16, 15:21
Ive got a bad feeling that you won't be able to buy anything in another six months. Might want to get it now while you can if you really want it.