PDA

View Full Version : Change my buffer spring?

pag23
09-01-16, 08:00
Hello all... newbie question

My rifle is a BCM midlength with stock assembled BCM lower. Should I upgrade to the "green" spring for long term reliability or just leave the stock one in... I might get a suppressor for it but that is a year or so away..

Only mods to rifle are SSA trigger, optic and light

I appreciate the comments

wigbones
09-01-16, 08:03
Are you using a rifle length receiver extension?

pag23
09-01-16, 09:27
No standard BCM buffer tube...

J4ggy
09-01-16, 09:56
If the rifle functions fine, why change it? Worry about changing it out once you get your suppressor and after function testing it.

wigbones
09-01-16, 10:19
The "green" spring is for rifle length receiver extensions anyway. If you decide to make a change you'll probably want a white or blue spring.

titsonritz
09-01-16, 10:23
Why not wear the stock one out first? As mentioned, a green spring is a rifle length spring so you don't want to use it on a carbine RE, get a blue if you must.

joeyjoe
09-01-16, 11:07
As others have stated, do not use the sprinco green spring in a carbine receiver extension, as the green spring is for use with rifle and A5 extensions only. I have been using sprinco white springs with nothing but positive results. The white spring is intended to provide the same tension as a fresh mil spec spring (sprinco spring lasts 100s of thousands of cycles and is much quieter). The blue spring provides noticeably greater tension. Im a bit skeptical of the need for a blue spring in a mid length rifle. That said, there is a NEW offering from sprinco, the "hot white" or white/red action spring. I have not seen anyone mention this spring, but it appears to fit in between the white and the blue sprinco springs. I'd be interested to hear how this guy works with a properly ported middy.

Vegasshooter
09-01-16, 13:06
Resist the temptation to "upgrade" a perfectly good, functional rifle. I know reading everything here leads one to believe it's necessary, but it's mostly not. If the rifle runs, which I'm willing to bet it does, run the heck out of it, then upgrade as you see fit.

pag23
09-01-16, 15:54
Gentlemen.... I will take your advice and leave the spring alone..the rifle functions fine and I was just interested to see if it was worth it to upgrade..

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Caeser25
09-03-16, 09:55
Leave it alone unless you start having issues. I tried out a Sprinco white action spring I had laying around on a new BCM midlength and all it did was introduce short stroke malfunctions with lower power .223.

stwings
09-03-16, 10:59
If the rifle functions fine, why change it? Worry about changing it out once you get your suppressor and after function testing it.
^^Best advice^^

chamber143
09-03-16, 11:20
Its a disease. Always wanting to find a solution where there is no problem. Black rifle disease is a serious problem and your money may be better spent getting therapy.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-03-16, 21:05
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk