PDA

View Full Version : DSA FAL questions

RAM Engineer
09-05-08, 22:28
I'm considering buying a DSA FAL (the ), but I know jack about the platform. I have a few dumb questions:

1. Do DSA STG58's have chrome-lined barrels? Did FN/Steyr guns ever have them either? Is this something that makes much difference?

2. I see that the DSA Para bolts have sand cuts in them. Do the non-para bolts have them? Once again, is this an issue?

3. In Larry Vickers article on FALs, he mentioned using "an Israeli mag release, a Norwegian AK4 style modified FAL bolt carrier with forward assist scallop." Does anyone have any pictures and sources for these parts?

4. Will I have any issues running the gun as a lefty?

Thanks,
Jason

MTR7
09-06-08, 07:37
Some DSA guns are chrome lined and some are not. Depends on the config and type of barrel. Typicaly non inch and non Para FAL's do not have sand cuts in the bolt carrier.
As to The Vickers article
1- It is not a mag release upgrade but a charging handle up grade.
A- this charging handle is larger, and can be used as an forward assist
1- will require the bolt carrier is cut to catch the charging handle lug
2- AK4 bolt carrier mod
A- I do not have a pic look at Small Arms of The Word if you have a copy.
B- these are a thumb print size set of horizontal cuts made on the
exterior of the bolt carrier to allow a silent form of locking the bolt
into battery. I belive this is a custom Vickers mod.

Buy the FAL they rock
Matt

cqbdriver
09-06-08, 08:22
Older DSA Stg58 came with Steyr barrels & they are not chrome-lined. It is my understanding that current DSA Stg58 come with barrel made by DSA. If they are the same as the SA58 rifles, the new barrels will not be chrome-lined

Post by DSA rep on falfiles on Stg58:
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=205215

mpardun
09-06-08, 08:58
Thye can also be had with fluted and stainless barrels.

DSA will also do a factory trigger job that is highly recommended: ~4.5lbs.

RAM Engineer
09-06-08, 10:28
Thanks for the info guys. To correct myself, I meant to say I am thinking about an SA58, not a STG58. Specifically, I'm considering the 18" SA58 carbine (SA58C18) with fixed stock, not the para stock. Besides the lack of a carry handle, are there any other differences between this gun and one of the "Congo" rifles that would cause a $300 price difference?

Thanks again,
Jason

m-w
09-07-08, 01:17
Thanks for the info guys. To correct myself, I meant to say I am thinking about an SA58, not a STG58. Specifically, I'm considering the 18" SA58 carbine (SA58C18) with fixed stock, not the para stock. Besides the lack of a carry handle, are there any other differences between this gun and one of the "Congo" rifles that would cause a $300 price difference?

Thanks again,
Jason

Best I can tell, the only difference aside from the carry handle is the duracoat finish which is a $300 upgrade on the SA58 and standard on the Congo model.