PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers gone?!

opngrnd
09-01-16, 15:37
Kind of a big deal to me. I went to look for more Wolf SRM primers and couldn't find any. Powder Valley stated over the phone that they aren't being imported now. Im pretty bummed by this, since I've been using them since this forum turned me to them. A few questions-

1-Are these gone for good?

2-Which Tula is the equivalent of the Wolf SRM?

3-What primers have you guys had the best luck with in precision loads other than Wolf SRM?

I feel like I'm starting from scratch again in load development. There will be snow on the ground soon up here, so time for load developement is short. I normally get a load ready and load it in bulk all winter.

I apologize if this is old news.

markm
09-01-16, 15:50
Get whatever Tula you can find. They all shot pretty much the same in my tests. If there's a magnum, that just means a thicker cup. But regular 223 works good too.

opngrnd
09-01-16, 16:02
Will do. I know there are some Tula in a store not to far from here.

markm
09-01-16, 22:06
snatch them up. They tested just like the wolfies.

j-dubya
09-02-16, 10:14
Once you get all the Russian primers you can find, the CCI BR4 is pretty much an equivalent in consistency and velocity.

opngrnd
09-02-16, 12:21
I went and grabbed 3,000. I'll try grabbing more tomorrow.

J-dubya:I've tried them before, but wasn't impressed. They didn't work bad. Maybe if I were to end up tinkering with them and actually developing loads I'll like them, but what I liked about the Russian primers was that they seemed to work very well without needing a lot of work.

wilson1911
09-02-16, 12:40
Don't forget S&B primers.

opngrnd
09-02-16, 21:44
Are they Russian as well? Probably no matter, in the same phone call I found out they are no longer importing Wolf, Powder Valley stated that the plant for S&B suffered a fire.

markm
09-02-16, 21:51
Once you get all the Russian primers you can find, the CCI BR4 is pretty much an equivalent in consistency and velocity.

In the context of our pet loads, BR4 primers shot the worst groups by far. Now I know there are loads out there where they are good, but when we tested them, they sucked.

Ryno12
09-02-16, 22:30
In the context of our pet loads, BR4 primers shot the worst groups by far. Now I know there are loads out there where they are good, but when we tested them, they sucked.

I haven't found a load that the BR4 performs even remotely as good as any of the other primers I've tried. In fact, in most cases, it was one of the worst performing primers out of them all.

m1a_scoutguy
09-02-16, 23:39
These guys are probably out and will never get them back in with everything that's going on ! Could be worth watching ! Large Pistol Primers are fair priced ! Dam I remember buying them from Widener's for $14.95 per 1000 ! Ah those were the days ! http://ammunitionstore.com/categories/reloading/primers.html

P2000
09-03-16, 00:00

I found the BR-4 to be a little faster. Preliminary data gave me similar groups, and slightly lower SD's with the BR-4. But I need to run more tests to confirm, which may or may not happen this year. Gotta balance load development with shooting in the wild.

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-184967.html

opngrnd
09-03-16, 10:29
These guys are probably out and will never get them back in with everything that's going on ! Could be worth watching ! Large Pistol Primers are fair priced ! Dam I remember buying them from Widener's for $14.95 per 1000 ! Ah those were the days ! http://ammunitionstore.com/categories/reloading/primers.html

This is where I bought my last batch. I'm helping a buddy get into reloading for his AR, and when I went I went to find the link for Wolf SRM to forward him, I became aware of the fact no one has any. I was hoping Markm would call me silly and redirect me to a better source, but alas, it is what it is.

opngrnd
09-03-16, 10:33
I found the BR-4 to be a little faster. Preliminary data gave me similar groups, and slightly lower SD's with the BR-4. But I need to run more tests to confirm, which may or may not happen this year. Gotta balance load development with shooting in the wild.

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-184967.html

With literally no load development beyond working my way up pressure wise, I used these primers and assembled a "Markm load" for my AR yesterday. At 435 laser confirmed yards, I shot a 10-shot 6" and then a 6.5" group. Given the wind gusts common to where I shoot, I've always considered that pretty good for what I want it for, hence, I've been happy with the primers. That they were cheaper was a bonus, but I liked that they cut SD down significantly.

P2000
09-03-16, 10:53
With literally no load development beyond working my way up pressure wise, I used these primers and assembled a "Markm load" for my AR yesterday. At 435 laser confirmed yards, I shot a 10-shot 6" and then a 6.5" group. Given the wind gusts common to where I shoot, I've always considered that pretty good for what I want it for, hence, I've been happy with the primers. That they were cheaper was a bonus, but I liked that they cut SD down significantly.
Good stuff. I'm using xbr with 77's thanks to Markm and having good results. The only reason I posted my br4 vs srm data is because lots of people are running an over max load with the srm primer. If a br4 is substituted there will be even more pressure which could be a bad thing.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

opngrnd
09-03-16, 14:35
P2000-that's a good point to consider.

I don't think I'll need to worry about switching primers just yet, though. I stopped back at the store on the way from picking up some extra hours at work and asked if they still have the 8 pounder of H1000(they didn't). But they saw that I was after their remaining Tula primers, and found me two unopened 5,000 count boxes in the back. Looks like I'll have the time needed for load development before changing my loads :)

markm
09-03-16, 16:31
We went long in the Russian SR primers a while back. I have 35 thousand of them. I've gone to using whatever else I have laying around for blaster ammo, and keeping the Russian primers for OTM loads.

AFshirt
09-04-16, 17:11
I ve got a few K of them but what other options are people using ?

Alphasig
09-04-16, 17:56
I have a bunch of Tula 223 and I switch my 6.8 to cci small mag primers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chunky Monkey
09-05-16, 08:02
I thought I was down to a 1,000 but movd some stuff and found another 5,000!

Sent from my minnie using Tapatalk

drtywk
09-05-16, 11:23
These have all dried up in my area, with no more in sight. What other options are out there that won't bring on additional pressure issues for 77gr OTM with XBR?

markm
09-05-16, 11:31
These have all dried up in my area, with no more in sight. What other options are out there that won't bring on additional pressure issues for 77gr OTM with XBR?

You can likely sub in WSR or Federal, or CCI with no problem. It's the low SDs that you'll lose without the Russian primers. You might drop the load 2 tenths if you are running a pretty hot round.

drtywk
09-05-16, 11:35
You can likely sub in WSR or Federal, or CCI with no problem. It's the low SDs that you'll lose without the Russian primers. You might drop the load 2 tenths if you are running a pretty hot round.

Thanks Mark. Any thoughts on subbing CCI #41's for these?

markm
09-05-16, 14:21
Thanks Mark. Any thoughts on subbing CCI #41's for these?

Are those the mil spec ones? They're work, but they're generally more expensive with no performance gain.

drtywk
09-05-16, 20:13
Roger that.

sjoliat
09-07-16, 19:55
Been watching my own supply of Wolf primers dwindle. The question I have is, if no one is importing the primers anymore, how are there still eleventy billion cases of Wolf and Tula ammo available? Was there just that much more ammo stockpiled?

markm
09-07-16, 20:34
Been watching my own supply of Wolf primers dwindle. The question I have is, if no one is importing the primers anymore, how are there still eleventy billion cases of Wolf and Tula ammo available? Was there just that much more ammo stockpiled?

Good question. I'm not even certain the primers aren't coming in anymore. It seems reasonable that they wouldn't be, but I think we only have 3rd party info so far. ??

sjoliat
10-31-16, 11:59
No small rifle primers, but ammunitionstore.com has Wolf large rifle primers in stock again. Picked up 5k today.

markm
10-31-16, 15:09
No small rifle primers, but ammunitionstore.com has Wolf large rifle primers in stock again. Picked up 5k today.

I never got to try those out. I wonder if they do the same good things the the SRMs do for .223.

sjoliat
10-31-16, 15:23
In my experience, yes. My 308 match load with the Wolf primers usually runs single digit ES with low single digit SD.

Pappabear
11-01-16, 22:19
Last time I was in a LGS Markm and I bought some they said. "No wolf primers and will never get them again". Not Bueno.