PDA

View Full Version : New guy question - 7.62x39

peasant
09-06-08, 08:45
Been tossing the 6.8 question around for 2 years now and decided $1 a round won't work since I don't reload(yet). Sooooo, I may have a line on a x39 barrel and bolt for $200. This would be swapped out w/ a 1-12 pencil barrel and A2 upper. So far, there are known issues with mags not feeding properly and FTFire issues with hard primers. The plus side is cheap ammo and 30-30 ballistics out of the AR platform. Can anybody deconvince me on this?(I realize the 6.8 and Grendel are better ballistically) Or encourage? Thanks, peasant.

30russkie
09-07-08, 10:03
i have an old colt 7.62x39. killed a shit-load of game with it with the the 154gr rounds out to a little over 240 meters with a 4x scope. i think it would do the job to 300m although i use the 7.62x39 for a brush gun mostly.

it does sub 3inch moa with the cheapest ammo you can find. with good brass cased USA made stuff it drops down to a sub 2 inch group. and at times dip to under 1.68 with good handloads!!

my AA 6.5 grendel can shoot a tighter MOA out of the box and with my converted p-mags no problems feeding. due to the better aerodynamics of the 6.5 round you have much extended range with enough energy left to make a clean kill to ranges far beyond what a 7.62x39 or 5.56 can do.

the grendel is a better all around platform and ammo isn't too expensive for hunting @ $11 per 20 rounds. it reloads well to boot.

the 6.8spc2 is a great all around round for the carbine--if you reload it can be as economical as the grendel.

if your hunting at range above 200m i would go grendel--
if your plinking and hunting under 200m go with 7.63x39-

-if you can afford it build one each!!

peasant
09-07-08, 13:57
Believe me, I wanted to go 6.8 but the $$$ stopped me. I'm prepared to keep this an under 200 rifle. The advantages of being able to shoot Wolf most of the time sealed it for me. Supposedly, the Wolf shoots better accuracy wise from the AR platform than the AK. If I can get 3 MOA I'll be happy a peasant.