PDA

View Full Version : Removing Rust from Chamber of 870

M4Fundi
09-05-16, 15:51
I know this is not AR, but its just plain "gun technical" and didn't know where to put it. Sorry if you need to move it.

I have an 870PM and it has light surface rust in the chamber... i did the usual 0000 Steel Wool wrapped around a patched brush and used my chamber cleaning tool to spin away and nada, nothing removed... any recommendations? Feeling like a noob, but I've always cleaned rust off with 0000 Steel Wool and WD40 with no problem... I used PB Blaster this time if that makes a difference. Thanks!

I have Flitz... should maybe I try that?

T2C
09-05-16, 20:25
I cleaned a badly fouled chamber and barrel on an 870 for a neighbor last week. I used a cleaning rod with a bronze brush chucked up in a drill. Don't get crazy with it and you should be OK. If your barrel is not rifled, you can clean the barrel while you are at it. One important thing to remember is to shut off the drill as the brush exits the muzzle. Carefully pull the brush back in the muzzle, start the drill and pull it all the way back out of the chamber. Turn the drill off, insert the brush in the chamber, start the drill and repeat as necessary.

On 12 gauge shotguns I use a piece of 5/8" wood dowel rod and a tight fitting patch to clear filthy barrels after brushing. Another trick is to wad up a paper towel and push it through the barrel with the wood dowel.

This probably belongs in the Shotgun Forum.

davidz71
09-05-16, 20:48
JB Bore Paste on a shotgun mop then Flitz Polish on shotgun mop. Both on the short section of a 3 piece shotgun cleaning rod in a drill.

P2000
09-05-16, 22:21
Once you get the rust off, I have had fantastic results with breakfree collector to prevent rust on my 870.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
09-05-16, 22:43
Moving to the shotgun sub-forum for more input.

JNG3
12-01-16, 08:38
I know this is an older post but I have had excellent results using a product called BlueWonder gun cleaner to remove rust from firearms without removing good bluing/parkerizing/etc.

williejc
12-07-16, 14:16
Having cleaned several 870 chambers, I'm surprised that the op's first effort did not remove rust. If not rust, the material may be plastic from hulls. My advice is to go slow at this point. If no "red" shows on a clean white cloth rubbed in the chamber, it likely is not rust. Some other points:

Remington shotgun chambers and bores often have visible tool marks, and these sometimes confuse the person who is inspecting. Also, for some reason, Remington barrels can leak remains of bluing salts that when seen on wiping cloths look the same as rust. I have a brand new 870 made in 1972 that's still leaking. This event is seen mostly around that area where vent ribs join with the barrel. Of course, I'm aware that the op's shotgun has a plain barrel.