PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Defender slug & buckshot combo

Slater
09-05-16, 20:58
This is one of Winchester's newer defense loads. The website lists this particular round as for "longer ranges", although I'm not sure how far that would be. At typical HD ranges I would think that the slug and plated buckshot would overpenetrate. Or maybe not? Any opinions on this ammo?

http://www.winchester.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/Innovative/PDX1-Defender-Shotshell/Pages/S12PDX1.aspx

ggammell
09-06-16, 14:10
If this is the way to go, where are the LE agencies using it? I'm going to stick with the "jack of all trades, master of none" no go for this one. If you want buck, get buck. If you want a slug, get slug.

I also see nearly everything marketed directly for "home defense" as not the best in general. Just me.

ETA: And this is my opinion based on reading the website. I've never shot it and I'm not likely to.

markm
09-06-16, 21:25
I don't want to start a whole war... but why would you run a shotgun over an M4? An M4 with Mk 262 covers every distance from 0 to 500 yards and beyond.

T2C
09-06-16, 21:44
I don't want to start a whole war... but why would you run a shotgun over an M4? An M4 with Mk 262 covers every distance from 0 to 500 yards and beyond.

Not to start a war, but I have been using a Remington 870 successfully since 1978 and in the past 20 years have investigated a few incidents in which a shotgun was very effective for home defense.

Don't take this personally. A M4 is a good weapon, but not everyone owns or wants one. If someone owns a shotgun and has a question concerning using a shotgun for home defense, I am willing to work with work with them.

Ron3
09-07-16, 12:00
No Interest from me. I like buckshot and slugs but not both in the same shell.

LoboTBL
09-07-16, 13:06

I'm really not trying to be a smartass but hammers are for hammering and one wouldn't do well trying to tighten a nut with one. Every tool has a specific purpose and there isn't a tool that does everything. Likewise, there isn't a firearm that is suitable for every role.

That said, this new shotgun round seems to be trying to fill two roles and I doubt it will prove to excel at either. Like ggammell pointed out, "...want buck, get buck...want a slug, get slug."

Ron3
09-07-16, 13:27
Not new! "Buck and ball" has been around for at least 150 years. :)

MegademiC
09-07-16, 22:51
If I need a slug, I don't want stray buck going God-knows where.

That said, I've relegated shotgun to skeet and AR for HD for various reasons. I had only a shotgun for years. I had the tightest patterning buck I could find inside and slugs on a shell holder.

williejc
09-08-16, 17:53
Markm makes a valid point about M4 advantages over the shotgun. A really strong point of the M4(assuming a good brand)is ease of operation and reliability. I'm a lifelong pump shotgun advocate but understand that they have a learning curve for shooting repeat shots without malfunction due to operator error. This statement is especially true for my beloved 870s. Soon I'll write a thread defending this statement. I should title it "You Really Didn't Shortshuck It. Something Else Happened".