PDA

View Full Version : Entry level AR 15 civilian M4 copy. Please advise.

pblanc
09-06-16, 11:36
I am largely ignorant when it comes to AR carbines but have developed the itch to buy one. I won't be using this for hunting or very long range shooting, just recreational shooting and to have in the house for self-defense. I am looking at entry level carbines in around the $600 price range. Initially I will be happy with iron sights, although I might choose to add a red dot or some other optic later.

There is a nearby gun shop that has the Ruger AR-556, the S&W M&P15 Sport II, and the Bushmaster XM 15 QRC in stock which I can at least handle. Brownell's currently has an Aero Precision AC 15 on sale for around the same price. The Bushmaster comes without a front sight post or rear sight, and the Aero comes without rear sight and magazine, so that would drive the total cost of those carbines a bit higher.

Can anyone advise me whether any particular one of these carbines stands out, or is to be avoided?

Falar
09-06-16, 11:38
There is already a thread going:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?188199-Best-Budget-Ar-15

jstalford
09-06-16, 11:44
I agree theres info in the other thread, but since you say AROUND $600, i would say consider an colt 6920 OEM model for $750ish

tlw613sp
09-06-16, 11:58
I would avoid the Bushy QRC based on the fact that it doesn't accommodate irons. Any 'battle-ready', SHTF, HD, whatever, etc. rifle should run BUIS.

Renegade04
09-06-16, 12:02
I am largely ignorant when it comes to AR carbines but have developed the itch to buy one. I won't be using this for hunting or very long range shooting, just recreational shooting and to have in the house for self-defense. I am looking at entry level carbines in around the $600 price range. Initially I will be happy with iron sights, although I might choose to add a red dot or some other optic later.

There is a nearby gun shop that has the Ruger AR-556, the S&W M&P15 Sport II, and the Bushmaster XM 15 QRC in stock which I can at least handle. Brownell's currently has an Aero Precision AC 15 on sale for around the same price. The Bushmaster comes without a front sight post or rear sight, and the Aero comes without rear sight and magazine, so that would drive the total cost of those carbines a bit higher.

Can anyone advise me whether any particular one of these carbines stands out, or is to be avoided?

Of those you mentioned, the S&W M&P-15 Sport II or the Aero Precision AC-15 would be the two better choices. You can add a good rear sight (MAGPUL MBUS) for about $35 and you would be good to go. Also, something else to consider is buying a complete upper, complete lower, and a BCG and CH if needed. PSA has some excellent pricing on their Freedom and Premium line of products. They have a variety of options to choose from that would fit well within your budget.

joeyjoe
09-06-16, 12:06
^ agree w jstalford. If you can put together the money, a Colt 6920 for around $950. If you can't pay that much, find a Colt 6920 OEM for around $750 and purchase and install the furniture as your budget allows. Personally, if i was unable to afford a Colt OEM, i wouldn't even bother buying anything... I would start saving my money and, in the meantime, start looking for a reliable source on Colt 6920 OEM 1 rifles.

Looks like the crunch is on, as there have been several recent posts asking what trash grade AR to pick up.

JSantoro
09-06-16, 12:15
See existing threads.