PDA

View Full Version : Glock: 2 19s or 19 and 17?

Xhado
09-06-16, 20:15
The G19 is currently my carry and home defence piece. I also have a 26 for the hotter months.

Its time for me to get a dedicated home defence gun. Should I just get another 19 or fill out my line with the 17?

My holsters are already 17 holsters as well.

Arik
09-06-16, 20:27
Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Xhado
09-06-16, 20:36
Why do you need a dedicated home defense gun? You're home, the 19 is home. Why does that not work?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Because its a pain in the ass to swap on the weapon light every night. Id rather it just sit in the bedside safe and be ready to go.

Also, my 19 has about 30,000 rounds through it right now with more every month. If/when something goes down it will be nice to have a spare handgun that isn't a sub-compact.

DirectTo
09-06-16, 20:58
With that kind of round count I'd pick up another just for backup in case the primary goes down. 2 is 1 and 1 is none and all that. Normally I'd say 17 for HD but referencing my last line I'd say 19. If your EDC goes down during practice then rotate the bedside gun to carry duty and replace it.

ramairthree
09-06-16, 21:09
17 with light.

Cut down to 19 mags if you want or not.

But when all is said and done,
You could just throw a light on your edc, make it your HD gun, and get another 19 for edc.

You literally cannot go wrong either way.

SomeOtherGuy
09-06-16, 21:10
Also, my 19 has about 30,000 rounds through it right now with more every month. If/when something goes down it will be nice to have a spare handgun that isn't a sub-compact.

I was going to say get a 17, but with that kind of round count you might actually wear out your first G19, so I would get another one as a spare / bedside gun.

n517rv
09-06-16, 21:42
If you're already used to the 19, I say just get another one. I like the idea of two is one, one is none... basically you could interchange parts if needed. Just run the 17 mags in the 19 for HD.

Mysteryman
09-06-16, 21:57
30,000 rounds is nowhere near the end of a Glock's life. Keep an eye on the recoil spring and drive on. I'm with the get another 19 crowd.

MM

Straight Shooter
09-06-16, 22:16
Myself...G19 to carry...G17 with Inforce light, Ameriglo CAP sights, and an ETS 22round mag with Winchester 127gr. +P+ HP's for bedside.
Also, when Im feeling saucy..I carry my G41 for sheer hell of it.

T2C
09-06-16, 22:20
30,000 rounds is nowhere near the end of a Glock's life. Keep an eye on the recoil spring and drive on. I'm with the get another 19 crowd.

MM

Agreed. The service life of your pistol should be in the neighborhood of 100,000 rounds.

DirectTo
09-06-16, 22:54
30,000 rounds is nowhere near the end of a Glock's life. Keep an eye on the recoil spring and drive on.
I just wanted to clarify my earlier post in saying 30k isn't a big deal for a Glock, but it is getting up there versus your average Glock. More rounds provides more opportunities for breakages or failures.

I've got a couple high round count Glocks including a 19 in my carry rotation. I trust that gun fully, but if it had a failure at the range I'd rotate it out for another 19 until I could give it a good once over and a few hundred more trouble free rounds. If he goes for another 19 it gives him that option.

RHINOWSO
09-07-16, 07:28
Another 19

Gunfixr
09-07-16, 07:36
If you are fully satisfied with the grip of the 19, why not a 17 with the grip shortened to 19 length?
All mags now interchange, but you get the longer sight radius and higher velocity of the longer barrel, and can use for concealed if you want.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

Beat Trash
09-07-16, 08:33
I qoudl get a second Glock 19, and replace the springs in the first one.

wrx04
09-07-16, 09:16
I went the 19/ 17 route myself, but looking back I probably should've went 19/19. Either way I plan on picking up another of each so I have a spare.

The guns are similar, but the grip angle definitely makes them shoot differently. If you train with the 19, might as well have that exact same feel for both guns, and there is parts interchangeability if one goes down.

26 Inf
09-07-16, 09:22
If you are fully satisfied with the grip of the 19, why not a 17 with the grip shortened to 19 length?
All mags now interchange, but you get the longer sight radius and higher velocity of the longer barrel, and can use for concealed if you want.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

This is the way I would go.

Springs - recoil and trigger - replace early, replace often. I just replace mine on birthdays - wife's is April, sons are in August and December. Less than $40.00 a year for peace of mind.

ETC piece to peace - thanks auto correct!

09fatbob
09-07-16, 09:24
Buy more ammo and train, instead of incurring more expense

Gary1911A1
09-07-16, 09:36
If it was me I'd get another 19 just because during the stress of a home invasion is no time to adjust to that hump on the back of the grip of the 17. Also no risk of you trying to use a 19 Magazine in a Glock 17.

26 Inf
09-07-16, 09:40
I went the 19/ 17 route myself, but looking back I probably should've went 19/19. Either way I plan on picking up another of each so I have a spare.

The guns are similar, but the grip angle definitely makes them shoot differently. If you train with the 19, might as well have that exact same feel for both guns, and there is parts interchangeability if one goes down.

I've always felt the grip angle was the same between the 17/19/22's I own. They are all Gen 2 or 3. A shortened 17 is different in that it gets rid of that irritating - to me at least - flare that is present on the front of the 19 mag well.

If you are in the same generation barrel and recoil spring should be the only parts that don't interchange between the 17 and 19.

Watrdawg
09-07-16, 10:53
I started out with a G17 and then the G19. As is The G17 is my nightstand gun but only because I already had it on hand. I like my 19 so much more so that I don't even think about carrying the 17. I'm definitely going to be purchasing another 19 soon. May even sell off the 17 to do so.

svtpwnz
09-07-16, 12:37
I would get the G17 and then pick up another G19.

wrx04
09-07-16, 14:24
I've always felt the grip angle was the same between the 17/19/22's I own. They are all Gen 2 or 3. A shortened 17 is different in that it gets rid of that irritating - to me at least - flare that is present on the front of the 19 mag well.

If you are in the same generation barrel and recoil spring should be the only parts that don't interchange between the 17 and 19.

My 19 is a gen 3, but my 17 is a gen 4. Personally, I can tell a difference in the grip and shootability between the two, but it is very subtle and I re-adapt very quickly. Not a deal breaker but thought I'd mention it. I should have mentioned I have two different gens in the first post.

slowrx
09-07-16, 22:22
I have a 19/26 that I use to carry regularly. I use my 17 as my nightstand gun with a TLR1 and night sights. I also have this OCD thing going on where I want one of each 9mm Glock aka 43,26,19,17 and 34. So I would get a 17.

Ironman8
09-07-16, 23:13
With a round count that high, you obviously know your way around a G19 by now. You're looking for a hardware solution to a software problem you DON'T have.

Go with the 19 and rock on. It will do anything that a G17 will do.

Dos Cylindros
09-08-16, 00:55
I started out with the G17 (Gen 3), then picked up a G19 (Gen 4). The G19 is my primary concealment gun, and the G17 wears Ameriglo Pro night sights and an X300U. The G17 is my nightstand gun and doesn't really get much use outside that role. If I were you, I would just pick up another G19 or two.

seribralcrow
09-10-16, 22:45
I picked up a 2nd 19 and never looked back. Always liked having a backup

Helix12
09-11-16, 07:34
As a 20 year owner of multiple Glock models I consider the G19 to be the jewel of the whole Glock lineup. It is as small a 15-round handgun as you can get. It is small enough to carry and yet still shoots as well as the larger Glocks. And its reduced grip somewhat lessens the stupid Glock grip hump. It just feels better in the hand than does the Model 17 or any other full sized Glock.

OP, if it were me I would go with a second Glock 19. I currently have two Gen 4 Glock 19s and have owned several others of different generations. I will never again own any full sized Glock.

Just my personal opinion, which is all any of us can provide. In reality, no one can pick a handgun for another shooter as there as just too many variables such as intended usage, hand and body size, as well as personal likes and dislikes.

Good luck with your choice and enjoy shooting whatever you ultimately decide upon.

_Stormin_
09-11-16, 08:42
Personally, I'm a firm believer in two is one, one is none, for my "go to" weapons. This means that I have a pair of identical G19s. Same changes made to each as I went (mag release, slide stop, night sights, etc...) without exception.

At this point, I'm actually debating getting a third G19. The pistol is pretty much what I consider to be a perfect double stack polymer handgun. Parts are plentiful and cheap, it shoots any ammo that I feel like buying for it, and I can trust that it will hit where I am aiming if I do my part. So now I am thinking about a MOS and an RMR... Only thing holding me back is the fact that I just love 1911s and I have several on my list that I feel I should acquire at some point. Those get spendy though. :-)

TommyG
09-11-16, 09:02
I started out with a G17 and then the G19. As is The G17 is my nightstand gun but only because I already had it on hand. I like my 19 so much more so that I don't even think about carrying the 17. I'm definitely going to be purchasing another 19 soon. May even sell off the 17 to do so.

Same boat here. My 17 is a nightstand gun with a TLR1 on it. It almost never leave the strongbox that it is in. 19 for everything else. A duplicate 19 is close to the top of my list of need to get items.

friendlyfireisnt
09-11-16, 16:06
When it comes to carry pistols, I'm firmly in the camp of having two identical pistols, for a few reasons.

First, I don't like having to cycle out carry ammo everytime I go to the range or when I do dry fire. It's a quick way of burning through quality defensive ammo.

Second, when I do use my primary pistol, if I was to have a mechanical issue, I have an immediately available replacement while I fix the primary.

Additionally, if I was to have to use my pistol defensively, I know that I have another available setup identically.

Having an identical setup also makes it easier to test new items, such as sights, trigger parts, etc. Make the change to the spare, evaluate for a few range trips, than compare results between both pistols. If the new component gives a measurable advantage, than the test bed becomes the primary until the other gets the new component again.

So I vote having two 19's before adding a 17.

El_Chingon
09-13-16, 00:41
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have been lingering around for a long time but finally decided to start being active...I had a G17 for my home defense with TRL-1 HL and I have a G19 for carry. I sold my G17 because it did not fit well in my hands, and I did not shoot it well. So once i sold my G17 i got another G19 for HD with TRL-1 HL, I loving it. My carry first G19 is now my project. I got the grip stippled and I just sent my slide to the MOD 1 for work. in the meantime, my SIG p320 or PPQ is taking the place of my everyday carry G19 until i get it back.