PDA

View Full Version : 1st post...thanks and an all too familiar story

cistercian
09-06-16, 20:40
I want to start right in with sincere thanks to all the very knowledgeable people here.I was ignorant of many things and this site is a treasure!!!
I am an older guy and my mini-14 was my second amendment rifle.It was the first rifle I ever bought and it cost 245 dollars with tax.Long ago.It just has a peep sight and my eyes are getting no younger so off I went to get one with optics!
The mini was now more than various AR's I saw in the rack so I bought a SW15 Sport 2.I bought an eotech for it too!Boy was I happy!I read many good reviews of the Smith and was pleased with myself!!!

Then I started reading here.And found out about my sighting choice as well.....

I like the Smith a lot.I will keep it complete with the eotech for personal fun use.

For more serious use I bought a 6920 magpul Colt and slapped an M4S on it.I have zero doubts about the Colt.And now 77 grain boat tail match rounds are possible too.

Spare parts inbound for the Colt...and they are Colt parts.

I did not plan on 2 carbines...but what can I say...it just worked out that way.

All of the mods here have been so helpful in educating me...thank you all.And Molon should be declared a national treasure...what I would give to spend some time on a range with him!

I have seen a number of best gun at low cost threads here.Just get the Colt.

And yes...I have read the stickies too and feel a bit chagrined.

Thanks for having me!I really enjoy this site!

chamber143
09-07-16, 05:21
I want to start right in with sincere thanks to all the very knowledgeable people here.I was ignorant of many things and this site is a treasure!!!
I am an older guy and my mini-14 was my second amendment rifle.It was the first rifle I ever bought and it cost 245 dollars with tax.Long ago.It just has a peep sight and my eyes are getting no younger so off I went to get one with optics!
The mini was now more than various AR's I saw in the rack so I bought a SW15 Sport 2.I bought an eotech for it too!Boy was I happy!I read many good reviews of the Smith and was pleased with myself!!!

Then I started reading here.And found out about my sighting choice as well.....

I like the Smith a lot.I will keep it complete with the eotech for personal fun use.

For more serious use I bought a 6920 magpul Colt and slapped an M4S on it.I have zero doubts about the Colt.And now 77 grain boat tail match rounds are possible too.

Spare parts inbound for the Colt...and they are Colt parts.

I did not plan on 2 carbines...but what can I say...it just worked out that way.

All of the mods here have been so helpful in educating me...thank you all.And Molon should be declared a national treasure...what I would give to spend some time on a range with him!

I have seen a number of best gun at low cost threads here.Just get the Colt.

And yes...I have read the stickies too and feel a bit chagrined.

Thanks for having me!I really enjoy this site!

We never plan to buy two rifles. Next thing you know you have a safe full of 4 or more. Its sickening to think of the money I have in mine. Coiuld have bought a nice truck. But that truck wouldn't shoot shit. Great to have u here. There is so much info on here u may never need to start a post again. I just read read read.

JC5188
09-07-16, 05:54
It's a helluva thing...information.

This site I've found to be geared towards what the rifle was designed to be. That's the reason the 6920 is pushed as the basic carbine standard. It IS what the rifle is supposed to be...as close as one gets without a stamp, anyway. Yes, the membership can help one exceed that standard, but more importantly they try emphatically to educate those hell bent to fall short.

I read here for years before signing up, and then another 6 mos after that. Lots to learn in these pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canonshooter
09-07-16, 06:34
Welcome Cistercian, from another "older guy."

misfit47
09-07-16, 17:10
Welcome! A smith is a decent carbine. Sounds like you've got a couple good setups. Shoot your rifle before passing judgment because of something you read.

cistercian
09-07-16, 20:42
Welcome Cistercian, from another "older guy."

Thank you very much!

cistercian
09-07-16, 21:03
Welcome! A smith is a decent carbine. Sounds like you've got a couple good setups. Shoot your rifle before passing judgment because of something you read.

I too think the Smith is a fine carbine.I prefer the slower twist since I like the lighter bullets.It is all I would ever need for recreational shooting...But that was not the primary role I bought it for.I wanted a carbine for HD/SHTF duty.
For that role I want maximum performance I can rely on.The 6920 will do that as well as the Aimpoint.The downside is I spent more than I wanted to...but now I have twice as many AR's as I had before!
I am fortunate to own both.

I believe the men who fought with them and who serviced them when it comes to what a good minimum carbine is for serious duty.I work on machines for a living and am very good at what I do.I am expert in my field.People who don't listen to my recommendations end up learning the hard way I was right all along.I am no soldier or armorer...it just is not my area of expertise.If the pros tell me it is a certain way I am very inclined to listen...they are the ones with experience and expertise.

In short I believe them.I still really like the Smith...

cistercian
09-07-16, 21:17
It's a helluva thing...information.

This site I've found to be geared towards what the rifle was designed to be. That's the reason the 6920 is pushed as the basic carbine standard. It IS what the rifle is supposed to be...as close as one gets without a stamp, anyway. Yes, the membership can help one exceed that standard, but more importantly they try emphatically to educate those hell bent to fall short.

I read here for years before signing up, and then another 6 mos after that. Lots to learn in these pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree.This site is a fantastic resource...and I am so glad to have found it and be a part of it!

Cane55
09-07-16, 23:38
Same here. I've been here since 2007, finally joined a few years ago, but 99.9% of what I do is read and learn from others. This truly is a great place.

mkg23
09-08-16, 10:51
This is a great site. I cant imagine how many hours of reading I've logged in on this site over the last year. So much great information!