PDA

View Full Version : The last of the Navajo code talker

WillBrink
09-07-16, 09:08
One of the last is now gone. The US owes these men a debt of gratitude beyond measure. One of the most amazing stories of WWII, few today even aware of sadly.

Joe Hosteen Kellwood, one of the Navajo code talkers during World War II, has died at age 95.
The Navajo Nation Council confirmed his death, hailing the services and sacrifices made by Navajo warriors.

Kellwood died Monday at the Veterans Hospital in Phoenix, according to an obituary posted at a local mortuary. He served in the First Marine Division and fought during World War II in the Pacific front, seeing battle in Cape Gloucester, Peleliu and Okinawa.
As a boy, Kellwood had been spanked in school for daring to speak Navajo. But his language skills would later prove indispensable in US war efforts.
The Marines tweeted a video of Kellwood singing the Marines' hymn in Navajo and wrote: "Honor the fallen. Yesterday, one of the last remaining Navajo code talkers passed away at 95 years old."

The Navajo Times reported earlier this year that there are less than 20 surviving code talkers.
Kellwood worked as a Navajo code talker until the war ended in 1945. He was awarded the Congressional Silver Medal, Presidential Unit Citation, Combat Action Ribbon, Naval Unit Commendation, Good Conduct, American Campaign Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal and WWII Victory Medal, according to his obituary.
The Arizona governor called Kellwood a "hero and patriot."

"Kellwood served with distinction in the 1st Marine Division as a Navajo code talker, ultimately helping lead the allied forces to victory in World War II," Gov. Doug Ducey said in a statement. "Let us never forget the countless contributions that code talkers made to our state and our country."

Cont:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/07/us/navajo-code-talker-joe-hosteen-kellwood-obit/

OH58D
09-07-16, 09:58
One of our seasonal wranglers is Navajo. His great uncle was taken prisoner and went through the Bataan Death March and spent the war in a Japanese Prison camp. I got to meet this soldier back in the early 90's. It seems the Japanese were questioning and torturing Native Americans that were captured during the war in an effort to break the code. This soldier I met said it was actually a double code. He knew the Navajo words but when translated they described Clouds, Turtles, Streams, Coyotes, and other nature related things. He told me he was forced to stand barefoot in the snow for hours trying to break him. He told me his frozen skin peeled off the soles of his feet when he was moved back inside. Because of the double meaning for the words, the code was never broken.

GTF425
09-07-16, 10:33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx0Z9gwiGlU

Rest easy, Marine.

Endur
09-07-16, 10:34
R.I.P.

WillBrink
09-07-16, 10:47
One of our seasonal wranglers is Navajo. His great uncle was taken prisoner and went through the Bataan Death March and spent the war in a Japanese Prison camp. I got to meet this soldier back in the early 90's. It seems the Japanese were questioning and torturing Native Americans that were captured during the war in an effort to break the code. This soldier I met said it was actually a double code. He knew the Navajo words but when translated they described Clouds, Turtles, Streams, Coyotes, and other nature related things. He told me he was forced to stand barefoot in the snow for hours trying to break him. He told me his frozen skin peeled off the soles of his feet when he was moved back inside. Because of the double meaning for the words, the code was never broken.

None of the actual code talkers were ever in enemy hands correct? My understanding is they were closely guarded and told if under extremis circumstances, to kill the code talker rather then allow one to be captured. Knowing the Japs, surprised they didn't do worse to the poor man. In terms of double code, as I understand it, the same word could have up to 4 meanings depending on inflection and context alone so unless you could actually speak it natively, essentially impossible to break, hence why you had to have one on both ends of the transmission.

Firefly
09-07-16, 10:48
Man, soon that entire Generation will be gone

The absolute youngest Vietnam Vet is like 60 maybe 59.

Youngest Desert Storm guy is 43.

Man time flies. Lest we forget.

Falar
09-07-16, 10:59
Man, soon that entire Generation will be gone

The absolute youngest Vietnam Vet is like 60 maybe 59.

Youngest Desert Storm guy is 43.

Man time flies. Lest we forget.

I'm with you. My grandpa, WWII vet is about to be 90 and my dad (Vietnam) is 15 years gone.

When I got in the Desert Storm/Panama guys were already pretty old (to an 18 year old, 30-35 is ancient) and like gods to us. Little did we know we'd all have CIBs less than a year in. The only Vietnam vet I laid eyes on in my time was a 4-star, the FORSCOM commander who "farewell'd" us prior to my first deployment. He was an LT towards the end of nam, around '72 or so whenever the 505th went in.

OH58D
09-07-16, 11:07
None of the actual code talkers were ever in enemy hands correct? My understanding is they were closely guarded and told if under extremis circumstances, to kill the code talker rather then allow one to be captured. Knowing the Japs, surprised they didn't do worse to the poor man. In terms of double code, as I understand it, the same word could have up to 4 meanings depending on inflection and context alone so unless you could actually speak it natively, essentially impossible to break, hence why you had to have one on both ends of the transmission.
Correct. No Code Talkers were captured. Here is a link to information about the soldier I met via his nephew. Joe Kieyoomia was actually part Hopi. His wife was also a sweet lady, Lita Mae Kieyoomia. Here is a Wikipedia link about him:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Kieyoomia

And more from Find A Grave:

http://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=58264231

SeriousStudent
09-07-16, 19:38
Fair winds and following seas, Marine.

williejc
09-07-16, 22:44
A good friend who served in a 1st Cav leg unit told me that they would receive care packages containing dog food and shitty comments from American protestors back home. Few today realize that the peace movement was organized and financed to a very high degree and that this effort extended throughout many years. Only the naïve among us would think that the other side was not influencing, guiding, and financing this shameful effort. I remain chagrined that so many Americans treated returning veterans like shit.Total disrespect. He told me and I believe him that on occasion he could hear NVA nco's issuing orders and on many occasions, he would hear their buglers.

SteyrAUG
09-08-16, 01:01
It's a shame they never got their story told any better than that crappy Nicholas Cage / John Woo film.

At any rate, anyone who served with 1rst Marines in the Pacific, starts out with automatic respect from me.

Hank6046
09-08-16, 22:16
Semper Fidelis Marine, you will be remembered by those who came after, by leaving a legacy of those who came before.