PDA

View Full Version : Insight MRDS for an FNX-45 Tactical? Hold up OK? General quality?

Roadblock
09-07-16, 15:04
How are the Insight MRDS's holding up on pistols? I just bought a used one for my FNX-45 Tactical off a guy I know, will be here tomorrow.

I've heard the quality is on par with the Doctor Optics that have had the "Bulletproofing" service done to them. I WANTED a Trijicon RMR RM-06 but even used they are $450~500.00+, I scored the MRDS for $320.00 in FDE/TAN which matches my FNX-45T.

Holding zero OK? How is battery life? Daytime brightness OK? I will mostly be using this outdoors at the range for steel targets.

These things don't have Insight "EOTech" type issues do they?

The G-Force isn't going to make it explode and create a rip in the space time fabric of the universe is it?

Originally I planned to buy a Burris FF III but I went with this as it was only about $100.00 dollars more. I'm hoping this was the better buy!

Thanks! :)

Roadblock
09-12-16, 12:18
I ended up getting the MRDS installed. Nice sight but it does have a couple issues on the FNX-45 Tactical.

If you install it with the Doctor Optic riser plate it will NOT co-witness. If you install it with no plates which EOTECH and FN have said are OK, you do get a great co-witness but the cut in the slide covers 90% of the auto sensor. This leaves you with the choice of no co-witness OR a slow to react auto sensor because most of the sensor is blocked.

I thought about having a small half circle channel cut in the slide to allow better access BUT the remaining issue it you can not access the MRDS rear mounted button without using something like a toothpick.

Thought about modifying the rear sight to allow better access but because that and the auto sensor issue, I may just save and buy the Trijicon RMR RM-06 with side access buttons and put the MRDS on something like a Scorpion EVO.

Bruce in WV
09-12-16, 18:04
I believe Gabe Suarez has a base for the MRDS on his Glock slides, but didn't prefer it over the RMR.
I ended up putting my MRDS on my 10/22 using a Doctor Optic riser plate on a M1913 rail. Great sight in that application, but requires a comb riser to get good eye alignment/cheek weld with the factory stock.

Roadblock
09-13-16, 21:03
The MRDS has been a good learning experience. I really like the concept but the controls on this are not right for the FNX-45 Tactical.

I've already decided I'm going to pick up the Trijicon RMR RM-05 in TAN at some point soon as my tac light COMPLETELY washes out the dot on auto and I need a toothpick or something to get to the button. I really like the side mounted buttons on the RM-06.