PDA

View Full Version : MAS Defense

boatsman
09-07-16, 16:42
Does anyone have any first hand experience with their uppers? How is the quality?

Mr. Goodtimes
09-07-16, 19:11
Does anyone have any first hand experience with their uppers? How is the quality?

Never heard of them. Why not buy a BCM, Colt, LMT, Daniel Defense, Noveske, or KAC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GH41
09-07-16, 19:42
Where are these guys coming from?

boatsman
09-07-16, 20:34
I'm sorry if I have asked a question about something I am looking at possibly buying.

Why am I not buying Noveske, KAC, LMT or others is strictly affordability. I work very hard for what $$ I have available for a new rifle. Unfortunately I don't earn enough to save the amount needed to buy these. I'm sure others are in the same position and are trying to get the best possible components available to them and their budgets.

I know that these top tier companies produce the best components available, but thats not what I am asking about.

GH41
09-08-16, 07:21
I'm sorry if I have asked a question about something I am looking at possibly buying.

Why am I not buying Noveske, KAC, LMT or others is strictly affordability. I work very hard for what $$ I have available for a new rifle. Unfortunately I don't earn enough to save the amount needed to buy these. I'm sure others are in the same position and are trying to get the best possible components available to them and their budgets.

I know that these top tier companies produce the best components available, but thats not what I am asking about.

Why is it that people with the least money are the most likely to gamble with the little they do have? That is what you are doing if you buy a $250 upper. If I were in your position and had to have an AR I would save for a S&W. It's not KAC but it is fairly well respected for an inexpensive rifle and backed by a good warranty.

thespyhunter
09-08-16, 07:59
Where are these guys coming from?

Astounding, isn't it....

PrevailFI
09-08-16, 08:53

I've got a safe full of "top tier" rifles, but when I decided to keep a carbine in the trunks of 3 vehicles, I was NOT putting my decked out guns where they could (relatively) easily be stolen.
I went with PSA Premium and Freedom line guns. I bought all parts on sale, with free shipping and used only PSA Premium BCGs. I paid no more than $500 for any of them. I am very, very pleased with those purchases. To vette them, I shot them almost exclusively for over a year. I have not had a single hiccup or issue of any kind in a combined three or four thousand rounds

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

KalashniKEV
09-08-16, 08:56
That is what you are doing if you buy a $250 upper.

This one's $224 and you can get it with the keymods:

http://shop.masdefense.com/16-556-223-BARRELED-UPPER-GTHD-975-KEYMOD-SALE-165GHDSBU-LD.htm

Who needs KAC?

I'll bet that mothajamma be all like kakakakakak... yee-haw! Dame MAS!

PrevailFI
09-08-16, 08:59
Why is it that people with the least money are the most likely to gamble with the little they do have? That is what you are doing if you buy a $250 upper. If I were in your position and had to have an AR I would save for a S&W. It's not KAC but it is fairly well respected for an inexpensive rifle and backed by a good warranty.
Boatsman, this is good advice, but you asked about an upper, so I'm assuming you have a lower. I'm not aware of S&W selling Sport II uppers separately, so I recommended PSA.

KalashniKEV
09-08-16, 09:07
...when I decided to keep a carbine in the trunks of 3 vehicles, I was NOT putting my decked out guns where they could (relatively) easily be stolen.

Any old gun will do for getting it stolen... isn't that the point of leaving unattended weapons in a vehicle?

I recommended PSA.

I wouldn't recommend PSA for anything, but if/when you get one, don't forget to reach up there and get a mighty grasp on that gas block and see if it will do-the-twist before wasting any ammunition on it.

PrevailFI
09-08-16, 09:24
LOL! So keV, not just a closet lefty, but a f*(#ing asshole too?

How many times has your vehicle been broken into? I'm 55 and it's never happened to me.

Also, check what Battlefield Vegas and more recently, Rob Ski have to say about PSA. And AKOU isn't even testing the Premium line.

Hapworth
09-08-16, 09:51
Where are these guys coming from?Panic tide is starting to swell. Prices inching up. More and more quality components on indefinite backorder.

Always makes for a flood of new members, some who can't or don't want to spend a lot of coin (no judgment on either count) looking for guidance and missing the mission statement when they join (judgment there). Can't imagine what's happening at TOS.

Besides, wait 'til November. ;)

boatsman
09-08-16, 16:51
Preval FL. Thank you for your comments, that is exactly the type of advice/comment I was looking for.

I never said I was looking at $250 uppers, just asked about their quality in general.

It's really to bad when someone asks a legitimate question about a product and they get blasted for not having the income/money to buy what they consider as reputable products. That is the type of elitism that I hoped to avoid in the forum. No where did I see a "mission statement " stating only high cost components were to be discussed in the forum.

D_M
09-08-16, 17:26
I have two MAS Defense barrels. One came with a complete upper that I purchased from them last Black Friday for $204 shipped. It's a 16" 1/8 twist carbine length melonite barrel. The gas block and tube are generic, the hand guard is junk, but the upper is from Cerro Forge. I've put about 1,000 rounds through it with no issues. It's no BCM, but it is on par with lower end rifles. It's better than a DPMS, but I suppose it doesn't have the track record of a S&W rifle. Do what you want with your money, but don't be stupid. If all you can afford is a MAS Defense rifle, then get that. I don't believe in having cheap stuff for throwaway reasons, and I also don't believe that cheap means junk.

Also, if you do a little research, you will see there are a ton of folks that have good reviews on their pistol barrels.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/733/23489779141_6bb65640d2_b.jpg

GH41
09-08-16, 17:29
Preval FL. Thank you for your comments, that is exactly the type of advice/comment I was looking for.

Putting a cheap ass rifle in your trunk because it might get stolen is like putting a cheap ass parachute in your plane because it might get stolen!

I never said I was looking at $250 uppers, just asked about their quality in general.

All of their uppers are cheap. If you want cheap buy cheap just don't expect us to encourage you to do it.

It's really to bad when someone asks a legitimate question about a product and they get blasted for not having the income/money to buy what they consider as reputable products. That is the type of elitism that I hoped to avoid in the forum. No where did I see a "mission statement " stating only high cost components were to be discussed in the forum.

You didn't surf or search at all before posting here did you? I don't see where you got slammed for being poor. It sounds to me like you want an AR because you just want one and don't really care if it works or not. Maybe our mission statement should be... We don't encourage kids to buy junk! Maybe.... If you cannot afford to buy it you probably cannot afford to shoot it! Have you priced high end pepper spray? Maybe a high end baseball bat!

misfit47
09-08-16, 17:59
There was a big thread about them on tos. Been banned for years so can't dig it up for you. Hit or miss barrel quality sums it up. Cheap yes. You may get a gold nugget or you might get a lemon. The only thing I'm willing to gamble on these days are scratch off tickets. Learn before it's too late, buy once cry once.

boatsman
09-08-16, 18:01
DM, thank you for your comments, I do appreciate them.

GH 41, at 58 I'm not exactly a kid. While I don't like your comments and in general find them very insulting I do understand the general idea you are trying to make a point of and I do appreciate that.

boatsman
09-08-16, 18:03
Misfit, you are exactly right, learn before you but and possibly make a mistake, exactly what I was attempting to do.

I do not know what forum tos is, but I will search.

Thank you.

misfit47
09-08-16, 18:07
Tos= the other site, aka arfcom.

D_M
09-08-16, 18:13
Tos= the other site, aka arfcom.

Buy once, cry once applies when building something you will have to trust your life with. Neither of my MAS Defense barreled rifles were built for my protection, they are both toys. When I hear "truck gun," I don't think of it as something to defend yourself with, but that may be because of how I was raised. Truck guns, to me, are for critters on your property.

KalashniKEV
09-09-16, 08:59
Truck guns, to me, are for critters on your property.

Truck guns are just for getting stolen.

Really... that's the only reason. A gun that you may rely on to save your life needs to be clean, well maintained, loaded with quality ammunition from a good magazine, (perhaps) aided by accessories and optics, and on-your-person.

Annual incidences of Bubba Rambo "fighting his way back to his long gun," donning his armor, engaging in street combat, and saving the day: 0
Annual incidences of being called upon to "dispatch" animals in some kind of wildlife management role: (I don't know... I've never seen it. It sure gets talked about a lot.)
Annual incidences of guns being stolen from vehicles: More than half of the 232,400 firearms stolen annually.

The best Truck Gun is a super soaker. Can be used to entertain kids, ambush your friends, or hold impromptu wet t-shirt contests. If it's got to be a firearm, go for a crap shotgun. Cheap enough to serve the ultimate purpose of being stolen, but can also be used for forestry type stuff.

Back to the topic at hand- quality ARs are so incredibly cheap these days, it doesn't make sense to buy MAS Defense, Booty Arms, Gothic Viking, Homeless Infidel, or Palmetto State Arms.

BFS
09-09-16, 09:49
[QUOTE=KalashniKEV;2377386]Truck guns are just for getting stolen.
Annual incidences of being called upon to "dispatch" animals in some kind of wildlife management role: (I don't know... I've never seen it. It sure gets talked about a lot.)

You must not have ever lived in a rural area.

Growing up it was a few times a week. Badgers, porcupines, coons, coyotes, gophers, prairie dogs. All destructive species. It never ends. Nature creates an endless supply of them.

Where I live now I would have no use for a everyday critter gun.

"Truck Gun" is a real thing with a real practical application.

KalashniKEV
09-09-16, 10:01
You must not have ever lived in a rural area.

No, I have... I was just never responsible for managing the wildlife of it.

Badgers, porcupines, coons, coyotes, gophers, prairie dogs. All destructive species.

You shoot all those things on sight? That's wild!

NWcityguy2
09-09-16, 10:29
What I don't get is why doesn't he just go buy a Colt for $800 from one of the many vendors that has them in stock for that incredibly low price right now. That way, when he takes this rifle out for 1000+ round carbine courses, the ones I like to read about online, it won't break down on him. (Sarcasm)

Okay, now that I got that portion out of the way, I will attempt to honestly answer your question from the perspective of a Combat Vet/Leo/Competitive shooter who shoots at least 2-3k rounds a year. I pretty much check all the boxes of a person who should be posting here with the exception of not being hyper-opinionated or paying for training courses. For starters, I don't know anything specific a MAS Defense. If I have ever seen one of their guns in real life, I did so without realizing it or making a mental note of it. However, if you look around the WWW and see them getting positive reviews, there is no reason to discount those people's experiences. Also, as a police officer, I don't recommend "Truck Guns" and would never consider leaving a gun in my vehicle overnight. But, from my experience the two most common ways to attract burglars is to first, leave your doors unlocked, and second, leave valuables in plain sight. Someone around here recently had a BCM rifle and two Sig handguns stolen when he left his doors unlocked. Either that or he is broke and needs the insurance money.

So lets talk about Budget AR uppers. On budget uppers, there are going to be corners cut. Now, the thing to consider is are the corners being cut going to make the rifle less desirable for your application, or possible future applications? How much do you plan on shooting the rifle? Do you have a history of shooting thousands of rounds through a gun in less than a few years? What kind of accuracy needs do you have? What features on a rifle are considered must haves? When I look at a upper, if I had to cut corners, it would be on the things that are probably going to effect my shooting the least, like barrel testing (my 30-06 isn't HPT/MPI and neither is yours), Free float (doesn't add much to close range shooting or shooting from an unsupported position), and chrome lining (it only matters if you can shoot out the barrel to begin with). Along those lines I would recommend a PSA Freedom in Mid-length on the low end, which will run about $350 when you factor in the BCG, charging handle and flip up sight. For about $100 more, you can get a premium PSA upper which will feature an FN barrel over a no-name barrel. I own both a Premium upper and a Freedom upper and have thousands through both. I out most people at competitions with my PSA Freedom, which cost me $190.

On this forum, you are going to see a lot of strong opinions, but I promise you everything I say is based on shooting experience, which isn't something you are going to see a lot of people say around here. There have been some other threads (all locked by now) about people wanting to going join the party by buying a budget AR. They were all an example of volume being more important that content, which is a common occurrence on gun forums. Most people, when asked direct questions about why they say specific things, responded with extreme butt-hurt, instead of relating what they said with their actual, first hand shooting experience.

Singlestack Wonder
09-09-16, 10:46
I've got a safe full of "top tier" rifles, but when I decided to keep a carbine in the trunks of 3 vehicles, I was NOT putting my decked out guns where they could (relatively) easily be stolen.
I went with PSA Premium and Freedom line guns. I bought all parts on sale, with free shipping and used only PSA Premium BCGs. I paid no more than $500 for any of them. I am very, very pleased with those purchases. To vette them, I shot them almost exclusively for over a year. I have not had a single hiccup or issue of any kind in a combined three or four thousand rounds

Lets see....you have tier 1 rifles that will not fail you in a self defense situation but when you leave home you take low end equipment for self defense........

PrevailFI
09-09-16, 12:08
Lets see....you have tier 1 rifles that will not fail you in a self defense situation but when you leave home you take low end equipment for self defense........
Mostly...correct...Shortstack....

I leave them in my trunks as insurance against that incredibly unlikely chance I run into a situation that both A. Would be better handled by a long gun, and 2. Allows me access to my long gun.
Well vetted carbines are stored in square, nylon cases stenciled "Bocce! The Italian Lawn Game". Most unappealing to a thief on a street or in a parking lot with my alarms sounding. Gee...I...hope...you...approve...

Singlestack Wonder
09-09-16, 12:30

I leave them in my trunks as insurance against that incredibly unlikely chance I run into a situation that both A. Would be better handled by a long gun, and 2. Allows me access to my long gun.
Well vetted carbines are stored in square, nylon cases stenciled "Bocce! The Italian Lawn Game". Most unappealing to a thief on a street or in a parking lot with my alarms sounding. Gee...I...hope...you...approve...

Typical after the fact rationalization from low post counter who would be better served on TOS....

KalashniKEV
09-09-16, 13:53
Typical after the fact rationalization from low post counter who would be better served on TOS....

Bonus points for absurdities and ridiculousnesses:

...in square, nylon cases stenciled "Bocce! The Italian Lawn Game".

The difference in cost between a Colt OEM1 at $770 and a junker is what... maybe a little under $300?

The cost of a case of 5.56 is what... maybe a little over $300?

So the cost delta of going with a junker is less than the actual cost of a case of ammo?

Does not make sense...

Get a serious rifle and spend a weekend you'd otherwise be training and expending ammo by doing reflexive dryfire... or making customized death dealer cases with your markers and stencils.

If you follow this advice, you will thank me in the future.

Norman
09-09-16, 15:31

Based on the fact that they are a very obscure, almost unheard of company, I would look at some of the many more established companies.
Just out of curiosity, how did you land on them?

D_M
09-09-16, 16:46
Are MAS Defense rifles junk? No.

It seems as though I am the only person who has responded so far with actual experience with their product.

GH41
09-09-16, 17:37
Are MAS Defense rifles junk? No.

It seems as though I am the only person who has responded so far with actual experience with their product.

25 post... Your opinion isn't going to make me run out and buy junk.

lysander
09-09-16, 17:44
So, you have no first hand experience with them?

Why did you even post?

NWcityguy2
09-09-16, 18:46
The quality of this thread is even worse than normal.

PrevailFI
09-09-16, 18:55
Now, now, NYC, do you have a high enough post count for your opinion to matter?

26 Inf
09-09-16, 19:02

That beats the high school band emblem I have embroidered. Seriously.

26 Inf
09-09-16, 19:04

Buy the MAS!!! I have more posts than GH41!!! :sarcastic:

PrevailFI
09-09-16, 19:05
Utterly boring and unlikely to net ANY cash or drugs. Hell, here in TN, damn few would know bocce from rugby.

Omega9
09-09-16, 21:50
Utterly boring and unlikely to net ANY cash or drugs. Hell, here in TN, damn few would know bocce from rugby.

If few in TN know what bocce is then how do thieves know it isn't worth something? Maybe you should have it stenciled monopoly or chutes and ladders.

D_M
09-09-16, 21:57

Wow...

For your enjoyment, I recently joined, because a friend mentioned that there are legit folks here who are unlike those from Arfcom. I suppose he was wrong.

And just so you can get your nut, I'll be installing a Geissele Mk8 onto a brand new BCM rifle this weekend. Is that junk enough for you?

DirectTo
09-09-16, 22:28
I don't carry a rifle much, but when I've got my SBR in my truck it's in a Wilson racquet bag. Nobody bats an eye.

mjpgolf1
09-10-16, 06:23
What I want to know is where all these $800 Colts are? I have yet to see one for any less than about $950 delivered to you FFL. And most are more than that. I know my local shops have the 6920s for $1100. I see that the expanse models are selling for less, but after handling one at a local shop I was left with much to be desired from that one.

misfit47
09-10-16, 06:48
6920 oem.

mjpgolf1
09-10-16, 08:07
6920 oem.

By the time you get is shipped to an FFL and pay all the fees, put furniture of your choice on it, you are right back up there at the $1000 mark at least. Granted you get the exact furniture setup that you want. My point is that when someone comes here and asks about an entry level rifle, people here are quick to say "just spend another $150 and get a Colt". However when can be bought local at $549-$599, that's a $350-$400 difference from what the Colt can "really be bought for". Just sayin. That's a lot of ammo for $350

Inkslinger
09-10-16, 08:21
What I want to know is where all these $800 Colts are? I have yet to see one for any less than about $950 delivered to you FFL. And most are more than that. I know my local shops have the 6920s for $1100. I see that the expanse models are selling for less, but after handling one at a local shop I was left with much to be desired from that one.

They've been $850 or less and in stock for the last year or more. The looming election is is driving up prices and availability. I think the expression is, "you snooze you lose."

mjpgolf1
09-10-16, 08:41
They've been $850 or less and in stock for the last year or more. The looming election is is driving up prices and availability. I think the expression is, "you snooze you lose."

I'm good man. I'm all set for rifles and wouldn't buy a colt anyway. I like the higher end modern looking rifles so I'm not talking about for me. But I do follow pricing and to be honest I think I saw one time where a place was selling the bare bones oem model for $800, but like I said above, you still have to pay FFL, shipping, and then set it up with furniture so it's not like you get a Colt rifle all set to go for $800 or even $900. There is just a lot of exaggeration on the pricing differences of these colts vs the entry level S&W Sports, Ruger AR556, and others like them that can actually be bought and ready to shoot for around $600-$650 all in with tax and everything. So for someone just wanting a rifle to shoot telling them to spend just another $150 for the Colt isn't accurate. More like another $300-$400 which was my point. For the record I am not saying that these cheap guns are anywhere near the quality of Colt. Just trying to clear up the pricing statements.

NWcityguy2
09-10-16, 08:44
For the record, I was joking when I brought up the mythical $800 Colt. Hence the (Sarcasm) at the end of my post. Realistically, there is about a $400 difference right now between the cheapest Colt readily available and the cheapest of the budget ARs.

I said this in the last thread, right before it was locked, and I'll say it again here. You will never see an honest discussion about how much use is required to wear out parts available on budget ARs. That is why the discussion always turns to the various defense mechanisms people use to assure themselves that they and their ARs are special.

For your enjoyment, I recently joined, because a friend mentioned that there are legit folks here who are unlike those from Arfcom. I suppose he was wrong.

I've seen it on other forums and I've seen it here. Everyone in a thread talking about how "the people around here" do this, that and something else with their rifles and lives. But, after the thread turns to garbage and it gets locked, it's just a bunch of people talking about someone else and not themselves.

thespyhunter
09-10-16, 09:10
Now, now, NYC, do you have a high enough post count for your opinion to matter?

at least show the man enough respect to call him his proper username

PrevailFI
09-10-16, 10:56
at least show the man enough respect to call him his proper username
Roger that, PieHunter!

thespyhunter
09-10-16, 14:57
....lol

D_M
09-10-16, 17:32
For the record, I was joking when I brought up the mythical $800 Colt. Hence the (Sarcasm) at the end of my post. Realistically, there is about a $400 difference right now between the cheapest Colt readily available and the cheapest of the budget ARs.

I said this in the last thread, right before it was locked, and I'll say it again here. You will never see an honest discussion about how much use is required to wear out parts available on budget ARs. That is why the discussion always turns to the various defense mechanisms people use to assure themselves that they and their ARs are special.

I've seen it on other forums and I've seen it here. Everyone in a thread talking about how "the people around here" do this, that and something else with their rifles and lives. But, after the thread turns to garbage and it gets locked, it's just a bunch of people talking about someone else and not themselves.

Exactly why I gave it the review I did. MAS Defense rifles are nothing special, but are they junk? I don't think so. Having been able to compare the best of the best with budget rifles, there is no comparison in quality when you own a high end rifle. If I ever buy another complete rifle, it will be BCM. However, I enjoy building toys, selling them, then building more later on.

PrevailFI
09-15-16, 09:27
If few in TN know what bocce is then how do thieves know it isn't worth something? Maybe you should have it stenciled monopoly or chutes and ladders.
Few dirtbags would know. But to answer your question, I think your fellow geniuses might get "The Italian LAWN GAME" bit. Hmm, 2 alarms sounding , shall I grab this awkward ass bag of croquet- lawn -whatever - the - f@*k or that battery booster and that Snap-On roll bag?

Dualspringfields
09-28-16, 16:20
I bought an 18" Heavy Barreled .223 Wylde upper from them and it is the most inaccurate AR15 upper I have EVER had. I have tried 3 different scopes and it's like I'm shooting the 100 yard target with a 12ga. loaded with 00 Buckshot. It's all over the place. At 50 yards it groups great, but once you go out to 100 yards it's just crazy bad. I have never had an AR15 this bad. I'll be getting a BCM barrel for it now. I broke my rule of you get what you pay for.