PDA

View Full Version : Do they make a modern english bible?

black22rifle
09-07-16, 19:17
About a year ago I was working as a temp employee through an agency and while speaking with a worker there the topic of religion came up, he assumed I was a christian. I replied that I was not, I'm actually an atheist. However, during our conversation he brought up an interesting point on how it didn't make much sense, at least to him, that not believing and not knowing about the bible didn't make much sense.

I actually have tried to read the entire bible but I didn't make it past genesis because of all the thee's and thou's. It was pretty boring. Do they make a version without the old speak that still conveys the original meaning? I mean something that has not been sugar coating or changed, but just in our modern day English as we know it.

Outlander Systems
09-07-16, 19:20
Skip the OT.

Go to the New Testament/read what's in red.

That's the meat 'n taters.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_English_Translation

Firefly
09-07-16, 19:33
I'm more a King James person but I was brought up that way. Agreed, the parts in Red really are what matters. A lot of the Old Testament "Do such and such and be put to death" was overruled by Jesus.

In fact, just objectively reading it, there is quite a bit of history of the Middle East and if one were living in that time period; it is actually not inaccurate hygiene and dietary advice. If you cook pork wrong, you can get sick.

Another inportant, to me, book was the Tao Teh Ching by Lao Tzu. I'm not a Taoist but it certainly gave me a lot to think about.

It may not be a real thing, I suppose, but I subscribe to I guess you could say Zen Christianity. It helps me.

Whether you believe at the end or not, it is a good thing to at least have a lore to have researched. If nothing else, it still has good morals.

black22rifle
09-07-16, 19:44
I'm looking for the entire thing.

pingdork
09-07-16, 19:48
English standard version much easier to read than KJV. I have a bible app on my phone that has close to all the versions. You can sample chapters from multiple versions and figure out which bible suits you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoringGuy45
09-07-16, 19:48
If you're looking for a close word-for-word translation in English you can understand, the New American Standard Bible and its derivatives is good. If you want a modern paraphrase that stays true to the original context, I'd recommend the New Living Translation. One of my college professors was one of the main translators for the book of Proverbs in the NLT. If you want a "thought for thought" translation, the NIV or TNIV are both versions ("thought for thought" meaning that it follows word for word for the most part, but substitutes modern words and phrases in places where the context of the direct translation would be lost on the modern reader). The NIV is the version I most often use. I'd recommend the Archeological NIV; in addition to the Biblical texts, it gives a lot of articles and explanations of the original context.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-07-16, 19:57
The Message?

26 Inf
09-07-16, 20:28
The Living Bible or The Message are both good.

This one is in Modern English, and in chronological order; it is designed to take you through the Bible with daily readings, so it may not interest you, but it is an easy read.

Reading God's Story, A Chronological Daily Bible by George Guthrie

This snippet of the introduction pretty much sets the stage for it: Don't you love a good story? Whether it is in the form of a great book, a movie, or just a conversation with friends around a fire, powerful stories can pull us in, delight us, teach us, catch us off guard, scare us, frustrate us, or give us a greart deal of satisfaction when the story turns out 'just right.' What many people don't realize is that the Bible's 66 books weave together an amazing cohesive story, a Grand Story that God has written on the world, and believe it or not, you and I are a part of that story. Yet, you and I can't understand our place in that story until we understand how the Bible's grand story fits together, hoe it develops, where it's climax comes, and how it invites us to join in a never-ending script that God continues to write.....

http://www.christianbook.com/hcsb-reading-chronological-daily-bible-hardcover/9781433601125/pd/601127

https://www.amazon.com/Reading-Gods-Story-Hardcover-Chronological/dp/1433601125

Good reading!!!

tb-av
09-07-16, 20:33
I'm looking for the entire thing.

Pretty sure the Jehovah's witness Bible is a plain English.

pinzgauer
09-07-16, 20:42
New International Version is quite readable and also has a very large amount of research behind it's translation decisions

MountainRaven
09-07-16, 20:44
I'm fond of the 1599 Geneva Bible, myself (this was the Bible most of the Founding Fathers read - the King James Version was basically written as a pro-monarchist response to the GNV).

I know that there are a number of modern English Bibles, but I think I would avoid the Message.

Psalms 1:1 in the Message:
"How well God must like you— you don’t hang out at Sin Saloon, you don’t slink along Dead-End Road, you don’t go to Smart-Mouth College."

1599 Geneva:
"Blessed is the man that doth not walk in the counsel of the wicked, nor stand in the way of sinners, nor sit in the seat of the scornful."

One of these is beautiful. One is really stupid.

(And the King James Version, as a 'control':
"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.")

BWT
09-07-16, 21:18
English Standard Version is good and highly recommended by well respected Theologians these days.

New American Standard Bible (NASB) is good but one of the most technical translations and can be hard to read at times.

I'd recommend New King James Version or English Standard Version.

God Bless,

Brandon

ColtSeavers
09-07-16, 21:31
Another inportant, to me, book was the Tao Teh Ching by Lao Tzu. I'm not a Taoist but it certainly gave me a lot to think about.

It may not be a real thing, I suppose, but I subscribe to I guess you could say Zen Christianity. It helps me.

Whether you believe at the end or not, it is a good thing to at least have a lore to have researched. If nothing else, it still has good morals.

https://kateraedavis.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/tao-of-pooh-book-cover.jpg
Actually a pretty good read IMO.

.... Somehow edited out my response to the OP, but I think the English standard version would most closely match the language you are looking for.

Though I like the King James Version more.

Arik
09-07-16, 22:13
I'm more a King James person but I was brought up that way. Agreed, the parts in Red really are what matters. A lot of the Old Testament "Do such and such and be put to death" was overruled by Jesus.

In fact, just objectively reading it, there is quite a bit of history of the Middle East and if one were living in that time period; it is actually not inaccurate hygiene and dietary advice. If you cook pork wrong, you can get sick.

Most restricted animals were either carnivorous or scavengers. Animals that can be eaten must have both cloven hooves and chew it's cud. Water animals..as long as they have fins and scales. And there's more

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

williejc
09-07-16, 22:23
Recently I read one historical Jewish explanation for avoiding eating pigs and some other non kosher animals. It said that eating disgusting animals might transfer this trait to those who eat them. I love pork.

The_War_Wagon
09-07-16, 22:30
New International Version is quite readable and also has a very large amount of research behind it's translation decisions

It USED to be readable... find an older copy (pre-2014) if you do. The NNIV now monkeys with the pronouns as badly as the NRSV.

It has the standard Calvinist errors, but I've been working with it for almost a quarter century now, and I know where they all are. ;)

jesuvuah
09-07-16, 23:16
I would suggest something different. English sometimes just can't convey the message. I have read many different translations and my favorite is the Hallelujah scriptures. It tries to stick as closely to the original language as possible. Names and places are written in English but in the way they would have been pronounced in Hebrew. Something worth checking out

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

black22rifle
09-08-16, 00:47
Thanks for all the input. At this moment I think the ESV would be best for me.

IS there any benefit to reading it in chronological order? Was is it not in chronological order to begin with?

jesuvuah
09-08-16, 00:57
I would say that for historical purposes it is best to read it chronologicaly. Most of it is chronological. Originally it was not all one book. You had the Torah and books of prophets ect.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

pinzgauer
09-08-16, 07:22
It has the standard Calvinist errors, but I've been working with it for almost a quarter century now, and I know where they all are. ;)

The committee was predestined to mess up and had an inherently "sinful nature" I guess. :)

Reading the dozen or so Calvinist errors, they are pretty subtle for the most part. I am not Calvinist in thinking at all, and unless pointed out I would not (and have not) picked up on most of them.

The one exception I had noted on my own was the baptism as a "pledge of good conscious" wording which is clearly not what the original greek said.

Sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

chuckman
09-08-16, 07:31
IS there any benefit to reading it in chronological order? Was is it not in chronological order to begin with?

Do you want to read for chronology sake, or to understand? If you google 'how to read the Bible' there are a couple methods. My preference/recommendation is to start with the Gospels, then Romans, then the Old Testament, then the rest of the New Testament. The Old Testament can be...tedious.

BoringGuy45
09-08-16, 07:46

I'd say start by reading the books that recount various histories: Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, Joshua, Judges, 1-2 Samuel, 1-2 Kings. Leviticus will wear you down, as will Job and most of the prophetic books (Isaiah, Ezekiel, etc. though Daniel is a pretty easy read). It'll give you a good base of understanding ancient Jewish thought and theology. I always recommend starting with the Old Testament, as it then gives you a better perspective for reading the New Testament through a Jewish worldview. Then read the Gospels, Acts, Romans, and both of Paul's letters to the Corinthians. I'd also suggest reading Hebrews, 1 John, and Revelation. All of this I think is the best for giving an all around basic understanding of the Bible.

26 Inf
09-08-16, 12:35

Trying to look at it from YOUR perspective, not mine, I feel there is, primarily the New Testament. Many folks new to the Bible, may not understand that the Gospels, the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, are written around the same events, but from differing perspectives.

For instance, most folks, regardless of faith are familiar with the story of how Jesus fed over 5,000 people with 5 loaves of bread and two fish. The story is in Matthew, chapter 14 verses 13-21; in Mark 6:30-44; in Luke 9:10-17 and in John 6:1-13.

Take a moment and google each one, it will take less than 5 minutes. You'll notice all four are similar, but John has some added detail - Jesus already knew what he was going to do, but was testing the disciples.

I think you get more of the meaning of the Gospels reading chronologically then you do reading through each book in order. You probably wouldn't notice the added information in John 6:1-13 if you had first read the story in Matthew, then read 35 pages (in my Bible) and read the story again in Mark, then another 38 pages for Luke and then 47 more pages until you read it in John.

It also would be incorrect to think, well if the Gospels are all about the life of Jesus, but from differing perspectives, I can just read one of them and 'get it.' This isn't true, each book contains observations/information that others don't. I think of Matthew as the Gospel of Parables. Matthew recounted more of the parables Jesus used to teach then any of the other Gospels.

The first time I read the bible through, I went cover to cover and it was a trudge, something I thought I had to do; the second time I went cover to cover was using a 'through the Bible in 365 days' plan and it was truly enjoyable. Then I got a chronological bible as a gift, I really felt I learned more reading the NT is this Bible.

Good luck.

ETA: Here is a chronological reading plan for the Gospels. http://www.walkwiththeword.org/Aids/Gospels/00_Parallel_Gospels_List.html

OH58D
09-08-16, 12:50
For those "in da hood", I have heard there have been some of the Holy Scriptures translated into Ebonics. Google it. Whether it's modern English or a form of language regression, I won't editorialize here.

Koshinn
09-08-16, 13:14
For those "in da hood", I have heard there have been some of the Holy Scriptures translated into Ebonics. Google it. Whether it's modern English or a form of language regression, I won't editorialize here.

There's a Hawaiian Pidgin bible, which isn't in the same category as Ebonics but still interesting.

nova3930
09-08-16, 13:16

I'm not the most religious person in the world...basically going to church cuz the wife wants to. Cheap and easy way to keep peace in my household. Anyway, one of the most interesting Bible studies I've had was reading the 4 NT gospels chronologically. It definitely shed some light on the gospel story in ways I'd never considered.

Supposedly later this year we're going to start something similar for Acts and the Pauline letters....

Business_Casual
09-08-16, 14:29
; it is actually not inaccurate hygiene and dietary advice. If you cook pork wrong, you can get sick.

This brings up an important point - you must read the text in the context of when it was written. Pre-scientific societies weren't following dietary law for any other reason than it set them apart from the other tribes in the area.

Remember context.

black22rifle
09-08-16, 20:39
Do you want to read for chronology sake, or to understand? If you google 'how to read the Bible' there are a couple methods. My preference/recommendation is to start with the Gospels, then Romans, then the Old Testament, then the rest of the New Testament. The Old Testament can be...tedious.

Mostly to understand, but I think reading it chronologically might make it more enjoyable. Does reading it chronologically switch back and forth between the new and old testament?

Business_Casual
09-09-16, 06:12
Mostly to understand, but I think reading it chronologically might make it more enjoyable. Does reading it chronologically switch back and forth between the new and old testament?

No, the Old Testament was written around 500 BC. The New Testament was written around 40-100 AD, depending on the book.

HCrum87hc
09-09-16, 10:15
I'd say start by reading the books that recount various histories: Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, Joshua, Judges, 1-2 Samuel, 1-2 Kings. Leviticus will wear you down, as will Job and most of the prophetic books (Isaiah, Ezekiel, etc. though Daniel is a pretty easy read). It'll give you a good base of understanding ancient Jewish thought and theology. I always recommend starting with the Old Testament, as it then gives you a better perspective for reading the New Testament through a Jewish worldview. Then read the Gospels, Acts, Romans, and both of Paul's letters to the Corinthians. I'd also suggest reading Hebrews, 1 John, and Revelation. All of this I think is the best for giving an all around basic understanding of the Bible.

This is a great recommendation. It'll give you a good context of the Old Testament, but keeps you away from some of the tough reading. Knowing some of the Old Testament is beneficial when reading the New Testament. When "the law" is referred to in the NT, you'll know what's being talked about. I read a NIV study Bible, and would recommend a study Bible, regardless of the translation. There are a lot of footnotes and maps to explain some of the things that are contextual and don't really pertain to modern times. It helps a lot when you're slogging through some of the OT. Also, kudos for the open mind. If you have any questions, I'm sure there's plenty of us that would be willing to answer or clarify.

Honu
09-09-16, 11:06
some good apps that also allow you to compare to styles :)

but some of the study bibles are great cause they will break down what is being said and give context and other references that really really really help you go AHHHHHh OK
often half the page will be the verses and the other half will be explaining it better :)

Honu
09-09-16, 11:14
I like get one :)

funny I still have a hard time not saying Oh I like get one burger or whatever I asking for :) no like ketchup choke bbq
sadly most places here no have scoops rice as side :(
then when done and I say yeah yeah I pau ! they look at you like HUH

kinda got over the OH you got pupu platter cause that really gets you da stink eye !!!!!

OH tink I go make me loco moco now :)

There's a Hawaiian Pidgin bible, which isn't in the same category as Ebonics but still interesting.

HCrum87hc
09-09-16, 11:42
I like get one :)

funny I still have a hard time not saying Oh I like get one burger or whatever I asking for :) no like ketchup choke bbq
sadly most places here no have scoops rice as side :(
then when done and I say yeah yeah I pau ! they look at you like HUH

kinda got over the OH you got pupu platter cause that really gets you da stink eye !!!!!

OH tink I go make me loco moco now :)

Until I saw your quoted post, I thought, "this guy is high as a kite."

Honu
09-09-16, 12:16
hahahahah
yeah I could see that for sure :)

Until I saw your quoted post, I thought, "this guy is high as a kite."

The_War_Wagon
09-09-16, 13:32

There is, but the telos of the OT, is found IN Jesus. Therefore, reading the Gospels first, will help you to see where all the OT prophecies point to. They will be more easily understood, knowing they have now BEEN fulfilled in Christ.

The NT epistles, are the first "commentary" on the Gospel, in that they show believers how to live the Gospel, and then live it for the sake of others. Ancient Christian doctrines (Justification by grace through faith - a biggie for us Lutherans - is clearly explained by Paul in Galatians, 1Corinthians, Ephesians and Romans, for example) can be found from the church's beginning in the NT writings.

Turnkey11
09-09-16, 14:39
My recommendation, lots of info included with the text you're looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Orthodox-Study-Bible-Hardcover-Christianity/dp/0718003594/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473449873&sr=8-1&keywords=orthodox+study+bible

26 Inf
09-09-16, 17:38
This brings up an important point - you must read the text in the context of when it was written. Pre-scientific societies weren't following dietary law for any other reason than it set them apart from the other tribes in the area.

Remember context.

I've mulled over this. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

Many of the rules God laid down have a sound basis in health and sanitation. Obviously, we don't know for sure God's reasoning, but might one reason be he wanted to keep the people he loved from dying as a result of disease spread by unsanitary practices?

No problem here, like I said, maybe I misunderstood what you meant.