PDA

View Full Version : Gun Shows

JB-NY
09-06-08, 18:57
Is there a good chance of getting a deal on accessories (rails, BUIS, optics)
at a gun show? There is a show about 3 hours drive time (each way) so I will only have 2 hours or so at the show to look, haggle and buy.

Thanks for any input.

Paul45
09-06-08, 19:01
Considering the price of gas and admission, you better get a GREAT deal!!! You will not save the cost of gas but you can see a lot of stuff and have fun. Or they may not have what you want and you may end up spending $50 on gas for nothing!

ballsout
09-06-08, 20:33
No you will not save on quality rails, optics... maybe $10 on a BUIS. but then you gotta pay the admission of about $7 anyways. plus your drive. not worth it. Online has way better deals.

Sone
09-06-08, 20:45
No deals around here at shows, I quit going, the internet and the great dealers on here make it to easy

DHC45
09-07-08, 01:02
The best thing about gun shows anymore is being able to fondle the goods before you buy (usually from someone else, unfortunately)... Most gun show dealers are VERY proud of their stuff lately and their prices show it... I try to support the local dealers whenever possible, but as stated, you can't beat the online deals. I think the days of good gun shows and good deals are working their way into extinction...

R1pper
09-07-08, 02:02
Where in ny are you and what show are you talking about. If you are wondering about the Eastern States Gun show In West Springfield MA, it is not worth the drive. I oly go cause I usually get in for free.

P.S. Grant there is one coming up OCT if you were to set up a table you would sell everything that you have. There are no dealers that cater to the BRD there and you would clean house. Just a suggestion!

-DM-

austinN4
09-07-08, 05:45
Grant there is one coming up OCT if you were to set up a table you would sell everything that you have. There are no dealers that cater to the BRD there and you would clean house. Just a suggestion!

That is the point - there is no way he could sell at his current prices and absorb all the extra time and expense to cart his stuff to the show and back.

mmike87
09-07-08, 21:21
The only "good" deals I have found has been with used guns from individuals. Many items I find to be more expensive at gun shows, even before gas and admission.

That said, I still like going and buy items for convenince.

HAMMERDROP
09-07-08, 21:40
Those guys have families and are trying to make YOUR buck. At a gun show near my house, CMMG is like the BIG name there so last year I bought a used AIMPOINT M2 from them no box but was $200.00 I thought it was a great deal. This year all they had was hmmm Eotech junk (IMHO) and I was looking for an M4 AIMPONT and I finally found one and the guy wanted $780.00 !!
I haggled with him relentlessly and he would not come down a cent. I came home called Grant got an M4 plus an LT mount and still was ahead by $50 bux or so ...no deals at guns shows.

Michael

Failure2Stop
09-07-08, 22:21
I go to the occasional freakshow under the hope of reasonable bulk ammunition purchases, but mostly for entertainment these days. And it's an excuse to get out of the house. $10 to get in? Better than a movie, and less BO.

The gunshow vendors cater to the fantasies of the average tinfoil-hat patron, not the needs or wants of an informed, proficient user. The proof is in the number of tables occupied by nazi bondage-wear and Vietnamese knockoffs of Chinese knockoff tactical nylon. Were these not at least self-sustaining endeavors they would not litter the floor space like fat chicks in the Oprah audience.

The next time I hear some dude at Joe-Bob's Fishing and Tactial Supply tell someone that the DPMS POS he is twirling around is "mil-spec" and "just like one o those em-fours, but without the spring fer fully-auto," I am going to swing the nearest ColdSteel Warhammer knockoff I can reach into someone's temple.

Simply put, we are just too small of a consumer base to be profitable to the gun-show circuit. Average gun-show attendee guy would be flabbergasted at the price of a DD Omega rail, especially when right down the aisle somebody is selling an aluminum tube with rails stuck to it with superglue, for 1/3 the price- which seems to average-guy to do the exact same thing. And who is going to tell him otherwise? As it is, the gun-show is the perpetuator or creator of pretty much every myth or flawed logic in the firearms community.

Really, the best prices you will find anywhere is the sales forum here or on TOS, but even they are not nearly as convenient or as helpful as the various board sponsors will be.

I now pretty much just buy my ammo from local gunstores unless it's something exotic. The prices are too close to nit-pick (frequently better) and I would rather do my part in keeping local gun stores alive.

Moral of the story- gun shows can be entertaining and allow you to put your hands on items (just no dry-firing), but I can accomplish the same basic concept alone in my house. Not much worth going for, unless you want to see someone get hit in the face with a warhammer.