PDA

View Full Version : Question about low end Remington

jcrobinson
09-09-16, 10:08
Hey guys. I wonder what the groups opinion is about the Remington 783 combo (With included scope)? Serviceable as an entry level/beginner long range target rifle? Or not worth the cardboard it's shipped in? I'm very leery of the gargantuan price difference between it and almost *ANY* other 700 series rifle. I'm sure this question has come up regularly, but honest to god I spent a ton of time using the search forum feature to try and find any information, to no avail.
Thanks for your time and expertise!

Edit: For further clarification; I am looking at the 308 caliber
Edit 2: Further clarification; When I say "Long range" I may mean something different from what it may mean in this forum. I have no delusions about jumping onto a 1k yard range. Ever. Let alone with a $400 gun and no experience. I guess I mean being able to step up from the 100 yard range to try my hand at the 200 yard or 300 yard distances.

maximus83
09-09-16, 10:24
A budget 783 at various online retailers runs around $300.

For a budget factory rifle in 308, let's say under $400, you're likely get better accuracy out of a Ruger American Predator in 308 (available for under $400 online) or perhaps a Savage Axis. If I were in that range, I'd start with Predator.

If you can afford to go a little higher, there are options that would be better:
* The Rem 700 AAC tactical model (20" barrel) runs $600 to $700 online, they're known to be accurate. I had one that was sub-MOA although I sold it a couple years ago. This also gives you the most future customization options.
* The Rem 700 SPS Varmint in 308 runs a little less, I see them for around $580. The stock isn't as good as the AAC, and the barrel is 26" long, but it's equally accurate and customizable.

mark5pt56
09-09-16, 14:57
They have a high end model?:haha:

Look at a Tikka, do yourself a favor.:suicide::thank_you2:

If you want a .308 or go with 6.5 Creedmoor Tikka CTRx

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/204

pinzgauer
09-09-16, 18:16
My view: In that price range you don't want the aub $300 remmy. Savage axis is serviceable and is the cheapest I'd go. Side by side the difference is notable. One of my son's bought an axis II in 308 and is quite pleased. Not fancy, there are many nicer rifles. But shoots well, reliable, and was in his price range to get into deer hunting.

Ruger American and Howa are a step up from there, nicer rifles

It's a shame, Remington used to have entry 700s in the form of youth models that were great little rifles without the compromises in their current entry offering. (Maybe they still do, they still show a 700 youth sps)

My other son's 700 youth is a tack driver in 7-08. Fun to shoot. Not polished blue, a but rougher matte finish. But still a 700 action and trigger

Given a bit more money, the tikka would be nice as well.

pinzgauer
09-09-16, 18:18
If you want a .308 or go with 6.5 Creedmoor Tikka CTRx

Curious why Creedmore over 260? Seems like long range types are favoring Creedmore as well.

Kenneth
09-09-16, 19:00
Creedmoor due to the factory ammo possible.

.260 if an avid reloader

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinzgauer
09-09-16, 20:16

.260 if an avid reloader

Makes sense. I'd have a hard time not going with the option based on the 308 case. But I hear great things about lapuaa brass, etc

Sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

Kenneth
09-09-16, 21:02
Lapua brass is king.

Although they are going to be making creedmoor in the future.

C-grunt
09-10-16, 05:12
My local Sportsmans Warehouse used to have a cheaper Remington 700 with a wood stock for around 450 bucks. I havent looked recently to see if that model is still around or at the same price.

I was window shopping there the other day and found that Winchester now has a budget line gun. I fondled it a bit and I can say it had the best stock of all the budget guns, at least when it comes to stock stiffness. I was able to push the stock into the barrel but I actually had to purposely try to do it, unlike the POS flimsy tupperware stocks of the other brands. I believe the price was right around 400 to 450 bucks. For a budget rifle it really looked pretty good.

I have no experience with the Ruger American but they seem to be getting a lot of praise as a good rifle for the money.

Another thing I would do is to look at your local trading forums or pawn shops. You can find some pretty nice rifles for good prices that way. Im in the middle of working out a trade/sale of a Husqvarna 270 with a Weaver K4 scope for 400 bucks this weekend.

mark5pt56
09-10-16, 05:17

.260 if an avid reloader

yup, I reload and have the 6.5, off the shelf option.

tanktop
09-18-16, 09:19
Sorry if I'm late to the party but you can get a Remington 700 ADL for $400 OTD. I think the scope it comes with was borrowed from an airsoft rifle but other than that it's a full Rem 700 action and barrel.