PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Combat 1911 in 45 acp

unclebud
09-09-16, 18:55
I am getting ready to purchase a Wilson combat. My two choices are Vickers Elite and Tactical carry, both full size. My question is which would be better for a carry gun ? Anyone carry either of these ?

L-2
09-09-16, 21:07
No, I don't have either of these.
My three 1911 5" guns, any of which I'll carry.
Looking at the Wilson-Combat website:
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/tactical-carry/
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/vickers-elite/

the main differences, from what I gather, are detail/styling/personal preference/color items.

If you can, buy both, but I think you'll just have to try to envision which one you'll prefer carrying on a daily basis. The listed weight difference of .1 oz won't even be felt and they're both full-size 5" guns. Either should carry and feel identical while carrying.

Nightstalker865
09-09-16, 22:12
You might want to take a look at the Hackathorn Special. It seems like it checks all the blocks your looking for and Wilson has a few in stock right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sevin8nin
09-09-16, 22:18
Looks like two high end government model guns with very slight differences in terms of carry. You likely won't know the difference once it's in your holster so buy the one you enjoy looking at more.

straitR
09-14-16, 21:16
it's purely a preference of aesthetics. Personally, I like the Hack better, but that's because I don't care for the wider spaced cocking serrations on the Vickers model. That, and while I really like LAV, his name is posted everywhere on that gun. Wilson is already bad enough about that as is. Again, just preferences.

Here's the thing about WC 1911's, they're all built in the same way (excluding Supergrades), to the same mechanical standards with the same parts quality. So, a Hackathorn, a Tactical Carry, and a Vickers are all simply gussied up CQB's. The more you fluff it, the more expensive it gets. Take away Ball cuts, Carry Cuts, fluted chambers, Top and Rear slide serrations, round butt, mag wells, you get the picture.... you're left with a CQB.

Just decide on how snazzy you want your CQB to be. I have a CQB Elite 45 and Compact Carry Professional 9mm. I like the fluff.

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-14-16, 22:27
Look at the cqb and cqb elite also.

Sam
09-15-16, 06:16
Guys:

In another forum he posted that he made up his mind and ordered the Tactical Carry.

unclebud
09-15-16, 17:34
Guys:

In another forum he posted that he made up his mind and ordered the Tactical Carry.

Yes, I was just getting ready to post that I ordered a Tactical Carry 45acp in all black.

GJG
09-21-16, 18:56
I still think the CQB is the way to go. I ordered it plain jane without the logos.

tumbler
09-25-16, 13:24
Good choice, although I own the Vicker's Elite and it's an awesome gun as well. Ultimately, I prefer carrying my Wilson Protector Compact. I shoot it better too!

BigBuckeye
09-25-16, 19:31
Look at the cqb and cqb elite also.

I had a CQB and sold it.......because I'm stupid

unclebud
09-25-16, 19:41
Picked up my new Tactical carry yesterday and ran 50 rounds through it. All I can say is wow, I love it.
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p372/unclebud2/IMG_0313_zpsvat6j6m5.jpg (http://s345.photobucket.com/user/unclebud2/media/IMG_0313_zpsvat6j6m5.jpg.html)

tumbler
10-05-16, 16:42
Picked up my new Tactical carry yesterday and ran 50 rounds through it. All I can say is wow, I love it.
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p372/unclebud2/IMG_0313_zpsvat6j6m5.jpg (http://s345.photobucket.com/user/unclebud2/media/IMG_0313_zpsvat6j6m5.jpg.html)

slick!

Skyviking
10-21-16, 01:49
You made a really good choice. You'll find that you will be repeating that decision-making process. (In my case, 6 times.)

awmp
10-21-16, 13:23
Very nice

E53001
10-28-16, 12:16
to the OP, dont forget, its WC, they can do ANYTHING to any model upon request and additional charge the customer would like to see be done to the model they want to purchase

amac
11-01-16, 20:52
OP, beautiful looking 1911. Now that you've had it for a while, what are your impressions? If you've had other, less expensive 1911's, how would you compare them in terms of handling, slide to frame fit, felt recoil and overall shootability? The question of whether the extra cost is worth it comes up a lot and I was interested in your opinion.

Thanks

wilson1911
11-01-16, 21:59
I've had mine for about 10 years. I have shot lots of factory guns, les bear, etc. I still have to say a Wilson is above them in almost every way. The exception to this is shoot-ability. Some guns like a Dan wesson/springers and a few others will shoot very well.
Where they lose out is feel/frame cut angles and balance. These small perceptions is what you will first notice when picking any other 1911 up. Recoil is a personal thing. Many use different # springs, especially when shooting reloads.

Mine is approaching 8k rounds now.

Skyviking
11-02-16, 13:54
I have had many full-blown custom 1911s over the years, including those from Armand Swenson, Jim Hoag, Bud Price, Ted Yost/Heirloom Precision, and (last, but not least) Chuck Rogers. I even have a Pachmayer Combat Special Colt combat Commander. My go-to 1911 is my old Wilson Protector. It has been to Gunsite many times, and my son used it when he took his Youth 250 last year. I recently traded into a new CQB Elite with a rail for my son, and went across town to trade a couple of S&W wheelguns w/locks and some Plastik Pistolen for a Nighthawk w/a rail. My son shot his new Wilson and I shot my new Nighthawk at the recent GAS Match. Other than a box of shells the week before we left, they were shot as they came from the store. By the end of the day, my Nighthawk had some FTF from being really dirty and dusty, but my son's Wilson ran fine. In all fairness, I must say that my FTFs only happened when I was shooting some OLD Blazer aluminum-case .45 I have had laying around for at least 7 years (the slide was recoiling in S L O W M O T I O N). My son shot Federal AE ball from my stash...

Both pistols feel really nice in the hand. I don't know if I could tell the difference if blindfolded. I gave my son first pick between the two and he chose the 2-tone (Black/Gray) Wilson. The NH is all black and has Heinie tritium sights, while the WC has their proprietary tritium Battlesights. I like the Wilson sight picture better - likely because i am used to them and also have them on my Glocks - but both are eminently usable. In any event, after buying my Protector, I have purchased 6 more Wilson pistols (not counting my son's CQB Elite .45) and kept 5 (I sold my KZ45 and was talked out of my CQB Compact). The CQB, Millennium, 1996A2, and 9x19 CQB Elite are staying. Well, my daughter now wants to go to Gunsite and Really likes my 9x19 CQB Elite...

amac
11-03-16, 12:12
I've never talked to or read a post by a WC owner that wasn't 100% smitten with it! They clearly know what they're doing. I've owned an STI and Dan Wesson. I was very impressed by the Dan Wesson, but sold it. The 1911 platform is the best looking pistol in the business. PERIOD! However, I shoot my G21 so much better. LOL. Go figure. If I could put WC's trigger into my Glock, it'd be game over. I drool over most 1911's out there, but seem to go back to cost versus efficiency. Even within the 1911 industry, I look to cost vs efficiency. Anyway, didn't mean to derail this thread. I was just looking for a follow up impression.

Thanks

Spin Drift
11-03-16, 22:46
Gun funds have been slim lately, but Mr. Wilson is on the short list.

He will join Mr. Baer and Mr. Brown

Good Fellas.

david05111
11-14-16, 00:03
I don't mean to hijack your thread OP, but I do have a related question.

I'm looking at a Wilson too. I pretty much want a Vickers Elite, but I want a rail and i don't want any of his or anyone else's name on it. The BCM gunfighter one is pretty close to what I'm looking for, but again, I don't want the markings.

What model do they make that has the features of both of those guns, with the rail, but without the markings?

Hammer27
11-14-16, 02:21

I'm looking at a Wilson too. I pretty much want a Vickers Elite, but I want a rail and i don't want any of his or anyone else's name on it. The BCM gunfighter one is pretty close to what I'm looking for, but again, I don't want the markings.

What model do they make that has the features of both of those guns, with the rail, but without the markings?

It's probably best to just call Wilson and tell them what you want, they are a custom shop after all.

Skyviking
11-14-16, 10:42

You can order any Wilson Combat pistol without any markings. I would opt for a CQB Elite LE with the rail, ball end-mill relief cuts and no front cocking serrations or markings on the slide. Gray or Black. My son's BLK/GRY CQB Elite w/rail has the markings, FCS and standard cuts, but it was at the dealer and I got a screaming deal. They an always redo the relief cuts when (if ever) it gets refinished.

If ordering, I would check out Michigun Gunslingers. They did right by me on my 9mm CQB Elite.

nightchief
11-14-16, 21:33
WC will build whatever you want...I didn't want all of the Vickers features or the Vickers branding, so I built a CQB with the Vickers style cocking serrations and a couple other items I wanted...give them a call, they will discuss with you all the various options, and provide you with a quote for your custom 1911

NC

Nightstalker865
11-14-16, 22:19

As others have stated just call WC and see what your options are. A CQB-Elite with the railed frame upgrade and Vickers slide serrations would be a sweet setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david05111
11-28-16, 00:42
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll probably call WC in the semi-near future about a build